06-12-2021, 04:39 PM   #1
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp

Recommended Exhaust Mods

Hi all,

Need advice from you all. I have an appointment with my exhaust guy in 3 days. At the moment the plan is to remove the opf/gpf using the LEIB deleter and not remapping to avoid risking warranty. I don't know why the guy says mapping is possible because I thought the ECU was still uncracked??? He also is going to be doing backbox and resonator mod. I am not sure of the details because the guy keeps it a secret.

What I am wondering is if I should have the secondary cats deleted as well? As we all know the EU version of the car is really muted and I can't hear any sound coming from the exhaust. I have not bought a mid pipe and this is more of a desperate attempt to get some decent noise from an M car before I invest in a full fledged exhaust system whenever they are available.

Any ideas/advice will be appreciated. I am 45 (a doctor, hence I need to at least try to appear decent) and drive the car to work so I don't want to attract too much attention. Well maybe I do that's why I bought the car. Ridiculous amount of noise will be acceptable as long as its pleasing to the ear.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 05:00 PM   #2
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, G80 M3 xdrive

Im a doctor too i would have no problem running air filters and secondary cat delete (unmonitored they just chop out that short section). Start there and i would bet you wont need more. After that it starts to get crazy town.
Edit. Just noticed you have opf too, i dont know how much quieter yours are you may meed to also take out some resonators under the car out.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 05:21 PM   #3
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLife View Post
Im a doctor too i would have no problem running air filters and secondary cat delete (unmonitored they just chop out that short section). Start there and i would bet you wont need more. After that it starts to get crazy town.
Edit. Just noticed you have opf too, i dont know how much quieter yours are you may meed to also take out some resonators under the car out.
Thanks. Good to see a fellow doc here. I am in the uk so we get the damn opf. I will ask the exhaust guy to see what he can do with the resonators.

Would removing the secondary cats cause noticeable smell?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 05:24 PM   #4
David92
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmedman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLife View Post
Thanks. Good to see a fellow doc here. I am in the uk so we get the damn opf. I will ask the exhaust guy to see what he can do with the resonators.

Would removing the secondary cats cause noticeable smell?
I removed the secondary cats… no noticeable smell.. remember you still have stock downpipes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David92 View Post
I removed the secondary cats… no noticeable smell.. remember you still have stock downpipes.
Thanks. Good to know that. How did it change the sound? Just volume? Sorry, I am very new to exhaust mods, or car mods in general!

Seems like a very clean job.
Appreciate 1
m4lex58.50
      06-12-2021, 06:41 PM   #6
David92
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. Good to know that. How did it change the sound? Just volume? Sorry, I am very new to exhaust mods, or car mods in general!

Seems like a very clean job.
https://youtube.com/shorts/LEkDELC50Io?feature=share

Here's an exhaust clip! Enjoy
Appreciate 1
q7720.50
      06-13-2021, 04:14 AM   #7
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oh that's sounds great. Thanks for the video.
I was a bit worried that it would sound obnoxiously loud but it seems fairly decent. Is there any drone at all in comfort mode? I assume you didn't need to map as well?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 12:36 PM   #8
bimmermann88
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW g05

Quote:
Quote:
Oh that's sounds great. Thanks for the video.
I was a bit worried that it would sound obnoxiously loud but it seems fairly decent. Is there any drone at all in comfort mode? I assume you didn't need to map as well?
Does it affect the warranty or trigger an CEL?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 12:19 PM   #9
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Just an update to this thread.

So got the manhart deleter. Service was good. No instructions received. Asked them about it and they said apparently the manufacturer has not released any tutorials. So thinking, it may be nearly the same install as on F8x, I went to my exhaust guy with the F8x manual. However, the sensor could not be accessed from engine bay. It was nowhere to be found despite removing the engine cover, air filter and a few other bits. So we lifted the car and it was odd to see the cable going backwards from the opf. From the opf. the sensor was just above the exhaust under the silver shielding thing but a foot or two being the opf. Apologies if I am not explaining this properly. As you can tell from my description, I am a noob when it comes to exhaust mods and cars in general. I have a new found love to this in my mid 40s.

So in short, to install this cable/delete solution, you need the car lifted and a few screws, bolts removed. It would be a struggle with just a jack I am sure.

Sorry I know this thread is useless without pics and videos. I was just too distracted looking at my car from underneath.

After the plugs were installed and opf gutted, I played around in the car on some B roads. No CEL or other errors yet even beyond 6000 rpm.

The volume is definitely louder and the burbles are more distinct. Heard one or two pops but that was it. It’s probably the tune. However, the high pitch noise when you floor the throttle is not that louder. At lower revs, there is that drone which I love. I am talking about sport plus. Sport sound is still mute and should have been the comfort mode.

I didn’t remove the secondary cats because I wanted to see how the car is and to possible isolate the errors if they come up.

I think I need to go back and ask the chap to remove the sec cats. It should be the ideal exhaust setup then. God I miss the 440i with mppsk.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 04:31 AM   #10
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Just an update to this thread.

So got the manhart deleter. Service was good. No instructions received. Asked them about it and they said apparently the manufacturer has not released any tutorials. So thinking, it may be nearly the same install as on F8x, I went to my exhaust guy with the F8x manual. However, the sensor could not be accessed from engine bay. It was nowhere to be found despite removing the engine cover, air filter and a few other bits. So we lifted the car and it was odd to see the cable going backwards from the opf. From the opf. the sensor was just above the exhaust under the silver shielding thing but a foot or two being the opf. Apologies if I am not explaining this properly. As you can tell from my description, I am a noob when it comes to exhaust mods and cars in general. I have a new found love to this in my mid 40s.

So in short, to install this cable/delete solution, you need the car lifted and a few screws, bolts removed. It would be a struggle with just a jack I am sure.

Sorry I know this thread is useless without pics and videos. I was just too distracted looking at my car from underneath.

After the plugs were installed and opf gutted, I played around in the car on some B roads. No CEL or other errors yet even beyond 6000 rpm.

The volume is definitely louder and the burbles are more distinct. Heard one or two pops but that was it. It’s probably the tune. However, the high pitch noise when you floor the throttle is not that louder. At lower revs, there is that drone which I love. I am talking about sport plus. Sport sound is still mute and should have been the comfort mode.

I didn’t remove the secondary cats because I wanted to see how the car is and to possible isolate the errors if they come up.

I think I need to go back and ask the chap to remove the sec cats. It should be the ideal exhaust setup then. God I miss the 440i with mppsk.
Could you post a picture of your OPFs? Just to see the part you removed. And if possible a clip of the sound.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 09:50 AM   #11
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
Could you post a picture of your OPFs? Just to see the part you removed. And if possible a clip of the sound.
The guy removed the whole exhaust and made a window above each opf. He then gutted out the contents and welded the window piece back. Sorry I should have taken pics. I will get a sound clip and post back.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 02:31 AM   #12
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The guy removed the whole exhaust and made a window above each opf. He then gutted out the contents and welded the window piece back. Sorry I should have taken pics. I will get a sound clip and post back.
Got it, I thought you installed a proper OPF bypass.
Meanwhile at Milltek
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #13
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Got it, I thought you installed a proper OPF bypass.
Meanwhile at Milltek
Really looking forward to this. The only system I have seen that's out is manhart's. We need more so there is competition and the price get reasonable.

I only "deleted" the opf but haven't installed any proper midpipes. I really like the valvetronic designs one but its far too expensive and shipping alone is $500 to the uk. And customs will be on top of that. If a proper exhaust system comes out, I will be set.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 03:45 AM   #14
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Really looking forward to this. The only system I have seen that's out is manhart's. We need more so there is competition and the price get reasonable.

I only "deleted" the opf but haven't installed any proper midpipes. I really like the valvetronic designs one but its far too expensive and shipping alone is $500 to the uk. And customs will be on top of that. If a proper exhaust system comes out, I will be set.
Have you and the guy figured out how to replace the downpipes as well? I've seen a couple of pictures online with the engine+gearbox removed from the car just to access the downpipes, is that the only way or do you think it's not necessary, having seen the car from underneath?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 02:29 PM   #15
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Have you and the guy figured out how to replace the downpipes as well? I've seen a couple of pictures online with the engine+gearbox removed from the car just to access the downpipes, is that the only way or do you think it's not necessary, having seen the car from underneath?
Hi. Haven't had the guts to swap the downpipes yet. I am guessing there would be more issues with warranty if something in the engine goes wrong? The exhaust guy is all booked up until December and I am awaiting another appointment if he could slot me in earlier. Or I have to find another person but I am not that brave. But I am really eager to give a 200 cell downpipes a try as that Manhart M3 driven by auto top NL sounds insane, the best sound so far IMO.
Appreciate 0