05-29-2021, 03:20 PM   #1
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Winter Tire set up M3 AWD (With Poll)

So. I admit this is my first M3 and for some reason I had it in my head that the AWD version would have Performance All seasons as an option. Yes I know its not what "normal" M cars get but this is an AWD M3 so I just kinda thought it might happen? <shrug>.

Now that I have been proven wrong and realize I was pretty dumb on thinking that idea. I have a question.

I live in a state that gets Snow and I will be driving my M3 all year round. Do you guys normally just swap the tires on the same rims or get Winter rims AND winter tires? Seems a shame to drive a nice car with crap rims even in winter but thought I would ask.

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather

Last edited by Geektechlive; 05-29-2021 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: Added a Poll
Appreciate 1
evilalien450.50
      05-29-2021, 03:37 PM   #2
9153mark
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 f31 Xdrive Touring

Rims and tyres
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 03:53 PM   #3
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9153mark View Post
Rims and tyres
Ditto, winter wheel and tire setup. Makes for an easy swap job in the driveway. Every time your rims are in the shop that's an opportunity for them to scratch or ding them pulling them on and off the car and that machine. Also I was able to squeeze a full set of rims into my M4 with the back seats down to transport, but it ain't pretty.
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2021, 03:56 PM   #4
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

Mine will be my first proper M. Current is an M240i xDrive. Previously, a couple of Subarus in a row (WRX then STI). I live in Canada, and have run dedicated set of tires and wheels for the seasons (summer + winter tires).

Not worth talking about previous vehicles. I strongly recommend summers and a set appropriate for your climate. I could probably do well with a set of "all-weather" snow-rated tires like the Nokian WR G4.

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat.../nokian-wr-g4/
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 04:34 PM   #5
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Added a Poll to make this easier.

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 04:37 PM   #6
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilalien View Post
Mine will be my first proper M. Current is an M240i xDrive. Previously, a couple of Subarus in a row (WRX then STI). I live in Canada, and have run dedicated set of tires and wheels for the seasons (summer + winter tires).

Not worth talking about previous vehicles. I strongly recommend summers and a set appropriate for your climate. I could probably do well with a set of "all-weather" snow-rated tires like the Nokian WR G4.

Had not heard of Nokian tires before. I am in WI so it can get pretty cold here. We have had some previously milder winters but anything can happen.

What do you use for Rims? Just a set from TireRack.com?

--
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 04:53 PM   #7
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I swap my summers for snows November to March. Not really a hassle because they wrap in an oil change one of the service visits and my dealer stores the other set tires for a modest fee.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 06:17 PM   #8
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geektechlive View Post
Had not heard of Nokian tires before. I am in WI so it can get pretty cold here. We have had some previously milder winters but anything can happen.

What do you use for Rims? Just a set from TireRack.com?
My current winter set is BMW 388s with Pirelli Sottozero RFTs.

I might get the standard 18" black wheels offered for the base M3 and either the Nokians or Sottozeros again when I get the M3C xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 09:54 PM   #9
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

Always rims and tires. No need to get salt on those nice 826M's. Plus, you have less chance of the rims getting scratched (less tire removal frequency)

///M
Appreciate 2
      05-30-2021, 12:31 AM   #10
Krypt-Nick
United_States
Rep
Drives: IOMG AWD G80 On Order

Personally I'm planning to get a set of the OEM winter equipment from BMW. About $4000 for the rim and tire combo.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...kgUGFnZQ%3D%3D

Appreciate 3
evilalien450.50
ando2000.50
      05-30-2021, 02:16 AM   #11
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypt-Nick View Post
Personally I'm planning to get a set of the OEM winter equipment from BMW. About $4000 for the rim and tire combo.

Oh ya, those'll do nicely! I've never used Michelin Pilot Alpin 5s. Anyone have opinions on those tires (vs Pirelli Sottozeros)?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 06:19 AM   #12
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

I do the swap to all seasons for the winter for my cars and planning the same for the M3. Works out well too because I lease and with swapping the Summers usually have enough tread on them for the return so it actually doesn’t cost any extra since I would have had to get a set of tires anyway.
Appreciate 1
Ocho3.00
      05-30-2021, 07:44 AM   #13
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 comp San Marino Status 112

Quote:

Thanks for that link. I have used Nokian Hakkapelitta's in the past on my other winter beater car based on another member's recommendation, and they make a phenomenal snow tire. Some may say one of the best performing snow tires in the world. They have got me through crazy storms in the past when SUV's with all season tires were slipping off the road.

I'm really curious as to weather the "all year snow tire" can really accomplish what it's trying to, especially with the "H" rating (up until 130 mph). They seem to get good ratings. Let us know if you decide to try it.

I imagine these would not do well if you track the car at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 07:48 AM   #14
aford
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

With RWD I absolutely want two season setups. I'm also low mileage so I'll get a lot of distance out of each set and want to minimize the on/off a single wheel will offer.

I also live in a snow region (less accumulation than others for sure) and feel an all season setup minimizes capability at the far ends of the curve.

I'm not sure what the OEM packages will look like for this coming winter. I've enjoyed the performance of the Pirelli Scorpion and the Blizzak in the past. The Alpin seems like a quality winter but I don't have any personal experience with that tire.

I'll also say that I've been able to get a fair amount of value out of my winter setup when I go to a new vehicle so your ultimate cost isn't your final cost of ownership.

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Executive Committee Member for Light The Night. You can help. Donate here.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 09:01 AM   #15
IronEgg
Private
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition

Being a new M4 owner for the first time myself, I am also thinking about having a separate setup for winter tires.
For those with purchasing experience, would you mind enlightening me where do you guys buy the winter tires/wheels from? I tried tireracks and some other online tire shops, and they do not have winter tires listed for size of G82 M4.
Probably it is still too early to make the purchase for upcoming winter?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 10:15 AM   #16
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I just checked Tirerack.com as a starting point for rims. any other places I should check? looking to compare pricing to the getbwmparts costs and options for tires and rims.
I do like the getbmwparts option since it would look more correct on the car. additional 4k is a bit steep to me but might be what it costs. this is really first time doing a dedicated Winter setup.

--
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 11:33 AM   #17
emescopa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypt-Nick View Post

These are a really nice option - thanks for links.

Just ordered an AWD M3 with the 825s and am planning on a set of 826s for winter. I know not the most ideal snow set-up given width/diameter, but love both wheel designs and am always a bit disappointed (performance & looks) when I drop a wheel size or two for winters...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 03:00 PM   #18
merlin3008
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

I do the swap on my AMG and plan to do the same for my M3. You should ask your dealers. The dealers around me that handle a lot of M cars offer a Winter switch package. For something like $300 a year they store your extra set of tires and do the switchover twice a year.
2016 M235i xdrive, Alpine White, Terra Leather, Orbit Gray Wheels (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 04:30 PM   #19
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:

How much do the Nokian non-studded winters run? I've never heard of this brand
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 04:40 PM   #20
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amzbimmer View Post
Thanks for that link. I have used Nokian Hakkapelitta's in the past on my other winter beater car based on another member's recommendation, and they make a phenomenal snow tire. Some may say one of the best performing snow tires in the world. They have got me through crazy storms in the past when SUV's with all season tires were slipping off the road.

I'm really curious as to weather the "all year snow tire" can really accomplish what it's trying to, especially with the "H" rating (up until 130 mph). They seem to get good ratings. Let us know if you decide to try it.

I imagine these would not do well if you track the car at all.
Will do. Odds are that I'll get the BMW OEM winter set, will get quotes closer to delivery.

Old comparison (previous gen tires):

https://www.tirereview.com/nokian-an...-winter-tires/

Here's something from an F80 owner:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1565634

Recent winter tire comparison:

https://www.autoguide.com/the-best-h...-you-need-them

I haven't seen much else with direct comparisons of the Nokian WRG and "winter" tires, but the WRGs are snowflake-rated. I've run Pirelli Sottozeros for my last 2 cars, Dunlop Wintersports previously. The Pilot Alpins seem to be the consistent too UHP winter tire, but I think the WRG4 would be enough.

I don't expect an M car to be a snow devouring monster like my WRX STI was.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 04:44 PM   #21
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
How much do the Nokian non-studded winters run? I've never heard of this brand
https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/tir...s/nokian-tyres

They're even relatively uncommon in Canada. Finnish brand. Intended for "northern" climates. Most of Canada and Scandinavia has similar needs

I have heard overwhelmingly positive things about Nokians, but haven't actually used any myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 07:13 PM   #22
wooblewobble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid

Quote:
https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/tir...s/nokian-tyres

They're even relatively uncommon in Canada. Finnish brand. Intended for "northern" climates. Most of Canada and Scandinavia has similar needs

I have heard overwhelmingly positive things about Nokians, but haven't actually used any myself.
I used to own a Saab many years ago. Nokians were the winter tire of choice in that community.
Appreciate 0