home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-22-2021, 09:01 PM   #1
martykray74
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Anyone flashed the ECU yet?

Just over 300 miles and the car feels flat.. Second gear pulls well.. just thought it would be more impressive with over what they claim to be 473... Has anyone done ECU flash?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 09:47 PM   #2
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by martykray74 View Post
Just over 300 miles and the car feels flat.. Second gear pulls well.. just thought it would be more impressive with over what they claim to be 473... Has anyone done ECU flash?
What are your drive settings? ECU is uncracked so far. You could use JB4.

///M
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 07:48 AM   #3
Bimmer TiM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3 Competition

Can anyone credibly confirm or deny that they "do something" to the G8X at your break in service? Keep hearing both sides. I'm not complaining though. I think the acceleration is great, though I'm not pushing it with only 500 miles. Thx
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 08:13 AM   #4
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by martykray74 View Post
Obviously I can't tell you how it feels to you, but it is worth mentioning that multiple dyno tests have confirmed those numbers to be valid (if not underrated).
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 12:30 PM   #5
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer TiM3 View Post
Can anyone credibly confirm or deny that they "do something" to the G8X at your break in service? Keep hearing both sides. I'm not complaining though. I think the acceleration is great, though I'm not pushing it with only 500 miles. Thx
Im interested in knowing everything and anything that happens after 1200 miles as I cannot find anything at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #6
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Unless they changed something from the F8X run in service, there is absolutely NO additional power from the 1,200 mile service.

I got that information, in writing, directly from a BMW Technical Engineer with BMW North America. I've got a screen shot of the email somewhere, but I've posted it on the forums multiple times.

If there was a change in power it would be documented in the service details and the dealership would be able to show you (not just tell you).

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 12:48 PM   #7
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
Quote:
Im interested in knowing everything and anything that happens after 1200 miles as I cannot find anything at all.
I presume the reason why people feel there is more power is that they're taking advantage of the full rev range post break-in. In a lot of ways it does really change the car, particularly the 6MT. In the 6MT in 3rd gear you're in the peak torque curve at maybe 40mph and you only hit red line at over 100mph. That just gives you this enormous range where the car is just pulling and pulling and you're absolutely crapping on 99% of anything else on the road, it is just epic.

Being able to really rev the car out just makes it feel so alive, and it loves being revved hard. For me that was the big difference post break-in. They didn't do anything to it, but the way I drove the car changed.
Appreciate 2
opielm88.00
02M3ForMe4255.50
      05-23-2021, 01:37 PM   #8
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

OP, cannot speak for the MT, but if anyone questioned the power of the Competition models I would question if they have ever driven one?

What does seem to be clear based on numerous reviews and direct comparisons is that the Competition model not only has more torque/power than MT model, the difference is readily apparent on the roadway/track. That being stated, I have not heard anyone else suggest the MT is by any means underpowered, or otherwise feels 'flat.'

The topic of a 'break-in inspection' tune that release more power, releases rev limiter, etc. . . . is tired and beat to death. Not sure why it comes up so often?? ALL that occurs is a fluid swap, basic inspection and deactivation of 'running-in check.'

I have yet to come across the official 2021 BMW Maintenance manual, however, the 2020 manual covers the 'break-in inspection' and I doubt any change in the inspection protocol has occurred. Page 8 of the manual covering the 'break-in inspection' is attached. . . no idea why M4 and not M3 is listed?

///AVM
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 04:00 PM   #9
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
OP, cannot speak for the MT, but if anyone questioned the power of the Competition models I would question if they have ever driven one?

What does seem to be clear based on numerous reviews and direct comparisons is that the Competition model not only has more torque/power than MT model, the difference is readily apparent on the roadway/track. That being stated, I have not heard anyone else suggest the MT is by any means underpowered, or otherwise feels 'flat.'

The topic of a 'break-in inspection' tune that release more power, releases rev limiter, etc. . . . is tired and beat to death. Not sure why it comes up so often?? ALL that occurs is a fluid swap, basic inspection and deactivation of 'running-in check.'

I have yet to come across the official 2021 BMW Maintenance manual, however, the 2020 manual covers the 'break-in inspection' and I doubt any change in the inspection protocol has occurred. Page 8 of the manual covering the 'break-in inspection' is attached. . . no idea why M4 and not M3 is listed?

///AVM
Because there were no M3 in 2020, only M4 (F82)
Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
Remonster821.00
      05-25-2021, 06:03 PM   #10
lch6257
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E93 M3-DCT,'21 G80 M3-6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
Quote:
I presume the reason why people feel there is more power is that they're taking advantage of the full rev range post break-in. In a lot of ways it does really change the car, particularly the 6MT. In the 6MT in 3rd gear you're in the peak torque curve at maybe 40mph and you only hit red line at over 100mph. That just gives you this enormous range where the car is just pulling and pulling and you're absolutely crapping on 99% of anything else on the road, it is just epic.

Being able to really rev the car out just makes it feel so alive, and it loves being revved hard. For me that was the big difference post break-in. They didn't do anything to it, but the way I drove the car changed.
I have to completely agree with this, there is no change to the car but to your foot and driving it how you want. I also double agree with how satisfying a hard pull to redline in 3rd gear on my 6MT is. It's simply spectacular.

The dealer told me the main focus for the 1200 service has to do with the differential. As far as the engine is concerned it was good to go when it left the factory in Germany. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 04:46 PM   #11
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post

///AVM
I noticed my maintenance and warranty manuals were for M2s or M5s. Would be nice to have them for an M4.
Appreciate 0