BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-18-2021, 09:00 PM   #1
RcktMan77
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 (G80)

iPhone/Digital Key

I setup my iPhone as a digital key. I can use it (and my Apple Watch) to lock/unlock and start my M4. However, it doesn't seem to be linked to my main driver profile. That is, when I unlock the car and enter it, iDrive prompts me to unlock my main driver profile with a PIN. Is there some way for the digital key to be associated with a specific/main driver profile? I would like the iPhone to be a key substitute, but it really provides only a portion of the full capabilities of the actual key fob. As another example, I can't just walk away with my iPhone and have the car lock and mirrors turn in like I can with the key fob.

Also, I'm not certain, but I can't just wave my iPhone next to the door handle and have it unlock the car. I actually have to unlock the iPhone, open the Wallet app, and select the digital BMW card/key first despite the "Express Mode" option being enabled. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 04:53 AM   #2
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcktMan77 View Post
I setup my iPhone as a digital key. I can use it (and my Apple Watch) to lock/unlock and start my M4. However, it doesn't seem to be linked to my main driver profile. That is, when I unlock the car and enter it, iDrive prompts me to unlock my main driver profile with a PIN. Is there some way for the digital key to be associated with a specific/main driver profile? I would like the iPhone to be a key substitute, but it really provides only a portion of the full capabilities of the actual key fob. As another example, I can't just walk away with my iPhone and have the car lock and mirrors turn in like I can with the key fob.

Also, I'm not certain, but I can't just wave my iPhone next to the door handle and have it unlock the car. I actually have to unlock the iPhone, open the Wallet app, and select the digital BMW card/key first despite the "Express Mode" option being enabled. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!
I don't know about the driver profiles, but I'm pretty sure I read something the other day that the ability to use iPhone as a key without unlocking is coming in a software update (IIRC its on the iOS side, maybe iOS 15 later this year, to allow access to wallet without unlocking)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 05:47 AM   #3
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Can't you just open and lock the door using the touch less sensors behind the door handle and then start the car with your phone in your pocket?

You could the use BimmerCode to fold the mirrors when ever the door is locked
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #4
RcktMan77
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 (G80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Can't you just open and lock the door using the touch less sensors behind the door handle and then start the car with your phone in your pocket?

You can use the door handle sensors as you describe with the key fob, but with the iPhone digital key, the phone has to be unlocked, the wallet app open, and the digital key/card selected. Once the iPhone is situated, then you have to tap or hold the phone close by the door handle to lock and unlock the vehicle. To start the car, the phone has to be placed in the wireless charging pad from what I can tell. This isn't very convenient, but I haven't found any other process that is easier and works.

The folding mirrors setting is also tied to the driver's profile, which doesn't seem to be linked to the iPhone digital key. If I'm not using the iPhone digital key and have my key fob with me, then my car will unlock as I approach the vehicle without me having to do anything else. It will also lock the car, and the mirrors will fold in without me having to do anything other than walk away from the vehicle. These are all settings that you can setup with your driver profile, but that profile seems to be associated with the key fobs, and I haven't uncovered a way to establish that same link with the iPhone/digital key.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 10:12 AM   #5
Triton88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BG M3C, 2016 Focus RS

I was having similar problems as you the first time i tried it i had to go to the app and tell it to unlock.

The door sensor where you tap to un-lock only works with the FOB. But 100% the iphone will un-lock the door with out opening the iPhone. It just takes some patience and you have to figure out where the NFC sensor is. I have an Iphone 12 pro and the top 1/3rd of the phone has to be right over the little cover that hides the physical key slot on the door handle (digital key only works on drivers side as well), hold it there for ~10 seconds and the door should un-lock. In theory 10 seconds seems fast but feels forever when just trying to un-lock the car. if the car is un-locked, this will lock it.

the phone needs to be in the tray to start the car as well, can't be in your pocket.

In the infotainment you go to your driver profile when its activated and you have to check a box to "use digital key" this will associate the phone with your primary profile. Good Luck.

Last edited by Triton88; 05-19-2021 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 1
jonahk705.00
      05-19-2021, 08:25 PM   #6
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

It nearly seems like the phone is to
Be used when you forget your keys but as an everyday thing it seems like it's too inconvenient?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 08:37 PM   #7
kbb
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 24' M3cs, 23' 911 GTS

I tried it for a day without key and just using the iPhone. Takes a bit longer to unlock and lock the car. Always forget to put the phone on the charging pad to start the car. I still prefer to use the key as it's much more efficient.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 10:02 PM   #8
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
It nearly seems like the phone is to
Be used when you forget your keys but as an everyday thing it seems like it's too inconvenient?
This is my expected use case. There have been times I've left my keys in the house or wife borrows my jacket with the keys in it and the phone will be a nice alternative.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2023, 08:53 AM   #9
Noel Brahimi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMX X6

Car Keys only work in vehicles that have NFC capabilities, and car manufacturers need to implement NFC and Car Keys support into their vehicles. It seems that you have set up your iPhone as a digital key for your BMW M4, but it is not currently linked to your main driver profile. Additionally, you have noticed that some features that are available with the physical key fob, such as automatically locking the car when you walk away, are not available with the digital key.

Regarding your question about Express Mode, Express Mode allows you to quickly access your digital key by simply holding your iPhone or Apple Watch near the car's door handle. To use Express Mode, your iPhone or Apple Watch must be unlocked and your digital key must be selected in Wallet. If Express Mode is not working as expected, it is possible that there may be an issue with your iPhone or Apple Watch's connectivity or settings.

It's best to check with your local BMW dealer or a Stratford locksmith, CT if you have any issues with your digital key or if you want to know more about how to link your digital key to your main driver profile.

Last edited by Noel Brahimi; 01-25-2023 at 04:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 09:42 AM   #10
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:

You don’t need BimmerCode for this. Go to Car -> Settings -> Doors/vehicle access -> Fold mirrors in when locked (checkbox)
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 03:47 AM   #11
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i with MPSSK

My understanding is that each key has a separate memory of car settings. When I asked the dealer he said I would have to do my car settings each time for each key. Luckily my nfc card has the same ID and settings as the first key I programmed. Ie opened car with key 1 and enabled NFC card. This seemed to associate them.

Does same apply to iphone or does this become the master key?
Appreciate 0