BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

06-05-2021, 08:56 PM   #23
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by deli333 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Wolf View Post
I had a 2018 F80 ZCP and traded it in on Friday for my G82 Competition, so as a disclaimer I cannot compare manuals, and I cannot directly compare M3 to M3.

With that said, I was a HUGE fan of the F80. The looks, the DCT, the low end torque, the convenience of the 4 doors, etc. I truly loved that car. Thanks to the trade in value market today, I received one hell of an offer that I could not turn down for the G82. This part is completely subjective, but I did not like the looks of the F82 (especially compared to the F80). However, I feel the opposite about this generation, and really love the G82 looks over the G80 to the point I was willing to go with a coupe instead of a sedan. And honestly, one of the major pros of these cars is that you can take it to the track and pick the kids up from school (something that will become much more difficult for me now with the M4).

Anyway, lets get into the differences. The tech between the two cars is night and day, to the point its not even worth talking about. This car actually feels like an 80k car on the inside, where as the F80 never did. The cabin noise and road feel are much improved compared to last model. One of the main gripes of the F80 was the poor exhaust note compared to its competition at the time. While the S58 is not producing the nice sound of a V8, it is substantially better than the S55. I had the bucket seats in my M3 and went with the regular seats in the M4. The bucket seats certainly look cooler, but the regular seats with the many adjustments are so much more comfortable. After playing around with the lumbar and other various settings, I would not take the bucket seats even if they were the same price. In fact, I would pay for these seats if the buckets came standard.

I only have a few hundred miles on the car, so I will let the drivers with more experience compare and contrast the cars above 5500rpm (damn break-in period). Below 5500, I will say the DCT was more exciting. That jerky feel and low-end torque you got from the F80 always put a smile on my face. The G82 just seems so capable, and the ZF8 does such a good job that I seem to be at the speed limit before I know it. My wife certainly enjoys the smoother ride though. I have put it into sport and sport+ mode and done quick accelerations and taken it on country roads with lots of bends. The G82 feels much more planted to the ground on these familiar corners and doesn't seem like it's ever breaking a sweat, even in MDM mode. I cannot wait to have the break-in period over with so I can get a proper test. The anticipation of riding the red line in the S58 is killing me. I am sure it will be an absolute blast.

If you have any other specific questions, please let me know and I will be happy to help. If I think of anything else, I will make an edit on this post.

EDIT: The HK sound system feels very similar, if not the same as the F80, which is disappointing, but not terrible. I have noticed that on the F80 I preferred to have the logic surround turned off, but in the new cabin it sounds better with it on (although I set the surround slider one notch to the right). The sound has improved imo after making EQ setting changes, something I also found to be true in the F80.
i havent read such a biased review for a long time.

if you order full plastic f8x of course will look very cheap. get full leather and some custom bits, it will change your diea

which tech is superior btw? new traction system? lane change assist? hud??? or dct vs zf8 ? and the sound? s58 has by far one of the worst exhaust notes. it even change my thoughts about s55 exhaust. i think it is ok lol.

i dont care which car is better / superior however i can't stop myself replying when i see a hugely fanboied review.
You must like how Honda civics sound too
Appreciate 3