06-05-2021, 07:15 AM   #67
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, G80 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
The car is already really fast and can actually put down the power...You guys are crazy haha

I thought the comparison of
The G80 vs the 700 HP evolve car was really interesting. More power isn't always better when you're not able to put it down
X drive. Game changer
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 08:51 AM   #68
Edtex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Coupe Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdition_F87 View Post
Reviving the thread. Anyone hear any rumors of a possible foot in the door for the crack?
My 2020 M8 Competition, with the Bosch dme, was also locked. DME Tuning who has a facility in Houston, Tx. did unlock the dme for bench tuning. I drove my car to Houston and within a few minutes it was tuned and running over 700hp at the wheels.

I have since sold my M8 and purchased an G82 M4 Competition. I spoke with DME Tuning yesterday concerning a tune. They have an M4 Competition they are using as a "test" car and hope to have a fix within a couple of months. In the meantime I have ordered a JB4 to play with until I can have my car tuned. I would go with Bootmod if they are first with a fix.

Last edited by Edtex; 06-05-2021 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 09:20 AM   #69
gasnet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Try Carbahn tune by Steve Dinan. He might have an answer. I have Stage 1 in my Z4 M40i and now have 471 HP and over 500 pounds of torque. With the weight of my car its an M3 killer for sure! Most M3's 4k pounds. The Ecu will be cracked and with AWD (mine on order) what a beast that will be.
2016 Audi A7 RIP / 19 Genesis G80 RIP
2020 Z4 M40i / 2022 X3
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 11:49 AM   #70
whatnotsomuchf80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Really hoping this ecu gets cracked this year.. a lot of money to be made by the tuners and other vendors when this happens. Until then- how far can we push the car w JB4? E85? Turbos?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 01:05 PM   #71
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

The last several generations of DMEs have all first been cracked by Mission Performance my money is on them.

And considering they do work for Toyota Corp on the TRD Supra they are top of their game

Also understand they are getting close to launching an entirely new tuning platform of some sort so the innovation seems to continue to be flowing out of their doors

Ps- in speaking with them I understand that they did just enable 2wd via idrive on a 21 X3M (previously they only offers that on 20's) so that's a baby step in the right direction
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 07:34 PM   #72
evan103207
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
The last several generations of DMEs have all first been cracked by Mission Performance my money is on them.

And considering they do work for Toyota Corp on the TRD Supra they are top of their game

Also understand they are getting close to launching an entirely new tuning platform of some sort so the innovation seems to continue to be flowing out of their doors

Ps- in speaking with them I understand that they did just enable 2wd via idrive on a 21 X3M (previously they only offers that on 20's) so that's a baby step in the right direction
good call
Appreciate 3
Der_Wolf888.00
Holset272.50
Ibiza3611.50
      06-06-2021, 09:10 PM   #73
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan103207 View Post
Quote:

good call
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
I wonder what kind of power they are gonna get. I'm going to use Racechip until my warranty is up then see what the flash situation is and what other mods are available. Although I said that with my F80 and ended up getting this car when my warranty ended. I also said that with my Mercedes before I got my F80. I think I have some sort of car disease

///M
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 09:12 PM   #74
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This is promising news! I gotta look these guys up im not familiar with them. But they must be good if they are cracking these first consistently
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 09:37 PM   #75
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
uncrackable lol so true. However it seems like as the gens roll on its getting harder and harder and also taking a lot longer. Didn't it take a few years for the F8x? I can't remember I usually try and stay away from ECU stuff on my cars as I get older and BMW gets stricter.
This, no way I would tune this car. Unless it is a BMW Performance tune, if it ever comes out.
That would be great, a Bmw sanctioned tune complete with warranty. It would sell like hot cakes
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 10:50 PM   #76
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

Quote:
Quote:

good call
Interesting!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 11:28 PM   #77
whatnotsomuchf80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holset View Post
Quote:
Quote:

good call
Interesting!
When did this new Bosch ECU come in that's in our S58 engine? Is this the same one they're referring to above? If so that does sound promising!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 06:16 AM   #78
Kinglagos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 G82

Great news!!!
      06-07-2021, 07:50 AM   #79
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasnet View Post
Try Carbahn tune by Steve Dinan. He might have an answer. I have Stage 1 in my Z4 M40i and now have 471 HP and over 500 pounds of torque. With the weight of my car its an M3 killer for sure! Most M3's 4k pounds. The Ecu will be cracked and with AWD (mine on order) what a beast that will be.
I was very happy with the Carbahn tune on my F87. The torque kick was massive but the car was still 100% drivable on the street. They took into account all of my existing parts (intake, downpipes, exhaust) and worked off my original file vs just sending me one for an N55.

The only problem is my charge pipe blew (because N55 things), and Carbahn wouldn't cover it even though I paid for the warranty. They said take it to the dealer. Took it to the dealer, and of course when they scanned the car they could see the DME had been modified so they refused to cover any of it. Thankfully my local shop that did the Carbahn flash ate the cost and took care of me.

Likely the first thing I'll be looking at once I'm out of warranty though. One the ECU gets cracked I feel like this will be the most customized flash route.

(but will likely go race chip in the mean time)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 10:38 AM   #80
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Wolf View Post
I wonder what kind of power they are gonna get. I'm going to use Racechip until my warranty is up then see what the flash situation is and what other mods are available. Although I said that with my F80 and ended up getting this car when my warranty ended. I also said that with my Mercedes before I got my F80. I think I have some sort of car disease
Just a heads up my man. Race chip is not going to protect your warranty. If something happens they will see the car was "tuned" whether piggyback or flash. I've seen warranty repairs get denied with JB4 on the F80.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 11:24 AM   #81
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Just a heads up my man. Race chip is not going to protect your warranty. If something happens they will see the car was "tuned" whether piggyback or flash. I've seen warranty repairs get denied with JB4 on the F80.
I've read that before but I don't really understand how. If the piggyback has been removed, then they would have to see the car's log for max HP and torque right? But how can they prove that the car didn't make its own mistake and allow that boost? Seems like a lot of work for them considering that even if it was tuned, they would have to prove that the tune itself caused the malfunction.

Even so, this is a good reason why the extended warranty that's offered is a good idea. It actually is underwritten by a 3rd party and is only used if BMW denies the first claim. They don't have access to BMW's computers so they wouldn't be able to pull those logs. At least, this is what a BMW financing guy told me

///M
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 11:31 AM   #82
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I've read that before but I don't really understand how. If the piggyback has been removed, then they would have to see the car's log for max HP and torque right? But how can they prove that the car didn't make its own mistake and allow that boost? Seems like a lot of work for them considering that even if it was tuned, they would have to prove that the tune itself caused the malfunction.

Even so, this is a good reason why the extended warranty that's offered is a good idea. It actually is underwritten by a 3rd party and is only used if BMW denies the first claim. They don't have access to BMW's computers so they wouldn't be able to pull those logs. At least, this is what a BMW financing guy told me
They can (and will) be able to see engine load, fuel rate, air flow, boost pressure, etc outside of normal spec. This is always the risk.

And 3rd party will absolutely contact the dealer to find out why the warranty claim was denied. Buddy had a F80 M3 that he accidentally over-revved at a track day and BMW USA denied the warranty claim for his blown motor due to the ECU data. 3rd party (Zurich, I think) talked to the dealer and denied the claim due to abuse or something along those lines. The only way it got covered was a two month long battle with BMW Corporate and I think lawyers were involved...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 11:49 AM   #83
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:

Don't listen to the finance guy!! LOL. That dude will say anything This topic has been talked to death. If you tune your car and the headlights for example act up, you are all good. You blow the tranny, any of the parts in the rear, or engine, your fucked!!!! Your finance buddy or even the serv manager are not going to do shit! BMW is not going to pay 17,000 or more without digging up to find out what you did to the car. It's all THERE. No such thing as a undetectable tune anymore. MYTH. I say 17 G's cause that's what my F82 cost to fix. SCH If you want to tune, by all means do it!!! I would. But don't be pissing and whining on the forums IF something goes wrong
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #84
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Why would anyone do a piggyback over a flash tune if both are available? If it's gonna get denied anyway, may as well make the job simpler.

///M
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #85
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:

Hypothetically, if they read the logs at the time of engine failure, they can see the boost was above what the stock tune allows. That cannot happen by mistake.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 12:35 PM   #86
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnotsomuchf80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holset View Post
Quote:
Quote:

good call
Interesting!
When did this new Bosch ECU come in that's in our S58 engine? Is this the same one they're referring to above? If so that does sound promising!
My understanding is all Ecu/Dme after that date.
Doesn't matter for which engine.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2021, 10:59 AM   #87
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just read that a piggyback doesnt allow the DME to see the modified numbers (ie boost is at 20 but car thinks its at 15). In this case, how can BMW see it has been tuned?

///M
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 11:08 AM   #88
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For one, the TCU measures torque and if it cuts torque because you bang off the limits its recorded. There are other traces in the various other sensors. I believe the MAP sensors also measure absolute pressure so even tho the boost sensors are fooled and control boost i think other sensors can see the actual boost made.
Appreciate 0