Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdriver17 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhands View Post
Well you know, tuning has been super reliable on the S55. I can see why people would want to rush to tune the S58.
I completely agree. I don't know why people are excited. I'm excited for AWD, but have 0 excitement for the S58. The S55 is so we'll sorted already. The S58 will allow maybe 50-100 more hp on stock internals. Built, they'll likely be the same. 50-100hp is barely enough to make up for the weight difference.
There's no reason to build the S58. Unlike the S55 the pistons are forged. Everything on the bottom end is now forged.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 03:00 AM   #46
Wesley_Cvrbonized
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i

On god I hope they crack the ecu I'm tryna make big power here 😒😒 Imma be so saddened if they can't figure it out
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2021, 09:35 PM   #47
StocktonBomb
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTR (FBO + E85)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowm235i View Post
On god I hope they crack the ecu I'm tryna make big power here 😒😒 Imma be so saddened if they can't figure it out
I'm sure they will, just be patient.

Can you think of a car that hasn't been cracked within a couple years of release? Only one I can think of right now is recently built A91 Supras if I'm not mistaken, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #48
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by StocktonBomb View Post
I'm sure they will, just be patient.

Can you think of a car that hasn't been cracked within a couple years of release? Only one I can think of right now is recently built A91 Supras if I'm not mistaken, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time.
They have the same issue, same ECU - Bosch MG1. It's used by many manufacturers and they're all having the same problem.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      03-28-2021, 01:56 PM   #49
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

The fact that the new M cars carry this ECU is a huge breakthrough for the tuners to want to crack it. This is good news for guys like me with the 2021 S55’s. Instead of being left behind because of only a 6m-1y span of my ECU being totally locked. The newer M cars carrying it means I have hope for mine.

Long story short, lots of money on the table and itll
Be cracked fast. Good news for 06/2020 built S55 guys also. And when I say fast I mean before most S58’s reach out of warranty.

PTF and others have been tinkering for what feels like forever but it’s only been a year. They’ve estimated June of this year it’ll be cracked but hopes isn’t that high I’m banking summer of next year we will have bench unlock capability. And if not a company will come out with something so ahead of its time we don’t need a ECU flash. But I’m just speculating now.

Bosch signed a contract telling Bmw these are unflashable ECU’s and they garuntee it. What does that mean well okay let’s say we get to the point of cracking it what’s the security measures? Did bosche put something in these ECU’s that if cracked immediatly power down and relock? We don’t know that yet because they’ve never been cracked. Time will tell but let’s hope that that’s not the case.

Then there’s the question if Bosche does have some backend security in these new ECU’s that relock do we have the ability to crack that as well and stop it from relocking?

Let me reiterate this is personal speculation and something that could be a possibility but also end this post and say regardless nothing in this world is uncrackable. Software will always Carry bugs and we use those bugs to crack things. Sometimes when software gets updated to fix bugs that update creates even more bugs and makes it easier to crack which is true and not speculation.

Sorry this was a lot don’t mean to be boring

Last edited by M2_MEDUSA; 03-28-2021 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3480.00
      03-29-2021, 09:58 AM   #50
ROBERT1183
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 DRAVIT GREY 6SPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
We have a car coming in for exhaust hopefully this week
hopefully a midpipe coming soon? just ordered my G80.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 10:24 AM   #51
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Well you know, tuning has been super reliable on the S55. I can see why people would want to rush to tune the S58.
I completely agree. I don't know why people are excited. I'm excited for AWD, but have 0 excitement for the S58. The S55 is so we'll sorted already. The S58 will allow maybe 50-100 more hp on stock internals. Built, they'll likely be the same. 50-100hp is barely enough to make up for the weight difference.
There's no reason to build the S58. Unlike the S55 the pistons are forged. Everything on the bottom end is now forged.
From what I seen they clearly stated forged crank and pistons. Are we sure rods are too?
      03-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #52
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BMW Junkie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Quote:
Quote:
From what I seen they clearly stated forged crank and pistons. Are we sure rods are too?
Yes sir!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-30-2021, 08:48 AM   #53
BrockDM
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

It took nearly 2.5 years to crack the BOSCH MG1 on the B9 Audi's. From my understanding it's even more complex for the G80 so I would strap in for the wait ha.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
mirob2944.50
      03-30-2021, 10:03 AM   #54
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockDM View Post
It took nearly 2.5 years to crack the BOSCH MG1 on the B9 Audi's. From my understanding it's even more complex for the G80 so I would strap in for the wait ha.
Since you have a foot in both worlds...are the ECUs similar between the brands (I know it's the same manufacturer). Did it stay unlocked on customers cars? There was some talk here about them being able to flash/lock it OTA.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 05:31 PM   #55
BrockDM
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Since you have a foot in both worlds...are the ECUs similar between the brands (I know it's the same manufacturer). Did it stay unlocked on customers cars? There was some talk here about them being able to flash/lock it OTA.
I'm not 100% sure how they differ in terms of encryption. From my understanding BMW has been making it significantly hard than Audi has.

Audi hasn't pushed any updates (OTA or dealer updates) to change any encryption or to prevent unlocking. I can flash my S4 from home on my laptop without taking it somewhere to be bench flashed or removing it from the car.

Fortunately my X3M has an early 2020 production date so I am able to flash with BM3. I know they are still trying to figure out how to crack/flash the later production and 2021 as those are not able to be flashed at the moment. I'm sure once they are in those the G80 will follow soon after (assuming it's the same or similar)
Appreciate 1
mirob2944.50
      03-31-2021, 06:00 PM   #56
StocktonBomb
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTR (FBO + E85)

Maybe a dumb question, but why would manufacturers care if people tune/modify their cars? They can just deny covering any repairs under warranty if stuff breaks, so I don't see how they would lose any money. What am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 07:02 PM   #57
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Maybe a dumb question, but why would manufacturers care if people tune/modify their cars? They can just deny covering any repairs under warranty if stuff breaks, so I don't see how they would lose any money. What am I missing?
If people were honorable then indeed manufacturers shouldn't care. However, go over to the F8X forum and see people running 600whp on E85 in a car that is leased and then say it's a BMW defect when the crank finally spins.

So, the massive amount of dishonest people who try to get BMW to cover for their mistakes makes BMW crack down hard.
Appreciate 2
somer947.50
Remonster821.00
      04-01-2021, 09:13 PM   #58
OneCleanBMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
If people were honorable then indeed manufacturers shouldn't care. However, go over to the F8X forum and see people running 600whp on E85 in a car that is leased and then say it's a BMW defect when the crank finally spins.

So, the massive amount of dishonest people who try to get BMW to cover for their mistakes makes BMW crack down hard.
It's not about dishonesty. It's about protecting their brand image for the 99.9% of people in the world that aren't on forums. In their eyes they've made the perfect product and they don't want anybody messing with that. Besides, you can't be dishonest these days, you could remove every mod, clear every log, all they have to do is check the max hp/tq/boost your car has run and if it's not within their parameters then you can say bye to your warranty. It takes minutes for them to interpret this data, at a dealership. This is why a good SA can save you tons of $$.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 03:34 AM   #59
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCleanBMW View Post
It's not about dishonesty. It's about protecting their brand image for the 99.9% of people in the world that aren't on forums. In their eyes they've made the perfect product and they don't want anybody messing with that. Besides, you can't be dishonest these days, you could remove every mod, clear every log, all they have to do is check the max hp/tq/boost your car has run and if it's not within their parameters then you can say bye to your warranty. It takes minutes for them to interpret this data, at a dealership. This is why a good SA can save you tons of $$.
It is also about safety and liability as well. The car is designed as a whole unit, and things like brakes, traction control, DSC, adaptive dampers, auto cruise control are designed and tested to run within certain parameters. Once people tune or change things, then there is potential to interfere. Especially when you don't really know for sure exactly what tuner is changing, and how that interacts with everything else. Lots of things are interlinked.

There is also a potential liability for them with emissions, if things are changed. They are very sensitive to that, think VW dieselgate etc.

It is pretty hard for them to stop you changing brands of tyres, brake pads, springs etc. However, they can stop you messing with the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 03:48 PM   #60
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

They will be cracked eventually... They always are.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      04-04-2021, 02:39 PM   #61
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
While there have been legal anti tampering requirements both in EU and US legislation, it is now being policed more. So manufacturers are legally required to take measures to protect their ECUs from being able to be reprogrammed.

Dieselgate was probably a kickstart for government awareness on this issue, and EPA/EU are now cracking down much harder on this.

And manufacturers warranty claim departements have a lot of problems today with people trying to get refunds on their tuned cars. Locking the DME even better will probably mean less investigative work for them, meaning money saved.

So both legal requirements as well as protecting the brand/image and liability are the main driving factors behind this.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 03:04 PM   #62
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
The ECU is already cracked I bet. They are just waiting for more cars to be sold before they release it. Once released BMW will patch so then future cars won't be tuned until its cracked again. Cat and mouse game.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 12:27 PM   #63
CanuckM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Would the JB4 beta chip that is available a safe bet until the ECU is cracked?

I haven't run JB4 since my 2011 335i.... I guess it would physically have to stay plugged in the OBDII?
2021 G80 6MT sold
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 12:24 AM   #64
997CABOVA
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckM View Post
Would the JB4 beta chip that is available a safe bet until the ECU is cracked?

I haven't run JB4 since my 2011 335i.... I guess it would physically have to stay plugged in the OBDII?
Keep us in the loop when you get the JB4 appreciate it
Appreciate 1
CanuckM665.50
      06-05-2021, 01:25 AM   #65
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Reviving the thread. Anyone hear any rumors of a possible foot in the door for the crack?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 05:59 AM   #66
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

The car is already really fast and can actually put down the power...You guys are crazy haha

I thought the comparison of
The G80 vs the 700 HP evolve car was really interesting. More power isn't always better when you're not able to put it down
Appreciate 2
LuckyBrand1141.50
coreyjn7230.50