BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing

02-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #1
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Any DJ's in here?

Kind of computer geeky...

For years I had an American Audio VMS4 and Virtual DJ and just played at home, recorded a few mixes, but never did anything beyond that. Sold the controller a few years back and recently have been wanting to pick something new up, but havent yet. I've had my eye on the DDJ-800, but honestly don't need that much for just messing around at home, so I've been looking at the DDJ-400 instead but haven't pulled the trigger yet. (probably because I've been hoping to see the DDJ-800 go on sale lol)

I'm about to head overseas for a gov't funded vacation and decided to pick up a MS Surface Pro 7 instead of lugging my laptop with me. Then I stumbled upon the Hercules Starlight mini controller and had to snatch it up and give it a try. Just look at this little guy! Small enough to fit in my assault pack and runs entirely off USB. Uses 3.5 audio out for main and has a headphone jack for cueing. Should keep me entertained on the flights and such. So far the Surface has kept up, we will see how it goes after some play time.

Anyone use Serato? Thoughts?

Also, not overly impressed with the MS Snap mouse. Cool concept, just kind of annoying to use.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #2
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

I went from Traktor to Serato. I had the Numark DJ2GO2 before for my room while I was deployed. Then I went bigger got a Rane 72, reloop 8000 mk2 and ddj 1000srt but I've stuck with Mac this whole time
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 10:52 AM   #3
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

I have a DJ Tech USB 10 and a Reloop 4000 M3D, you guys with jog dials call yourself DJ's? Try to mix it with real vinyls and then come back

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 08:56 PM   #4
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
I have a DJ Tech USB 10 and a Reloop 4000 M3D, you guys with jog dials call yourself DJ's? Try to mix it with real vinyls and then come back
LOL...I still have my 1200s I bought new in 1994 and all of my vinyl, mostly late 80's to early 90's deep house.
Appreciate 2
Dang3r12503.00
King Rudi13152.00
      02-18-2021, 07:15 AM   #5
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
meh, theres always someone...

When I started toying around with mixing vinyl decks were still used by some but most played CD-Js. I played a little vinyl at a buddies, it was fun. I have a couple Hospital Records vinyls stashed away that a friend found when in Germany she snatched up for me, along with some hardcore(I was young) and trance.

Times change, tech changes. It's nice fitting everything in a backpack or small case.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 03:53 AM   #6
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Thats true, the times when I had to move few stagecases with turntables, mixer, amp & co are longer past away.
Today its more easier to arrange a notebook and bluetooth speakers, voila, get the party started. But the real DJ feeling for me is gone.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #7
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

Another one.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #8
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Back in the day 99-08 I was a big club head (NJ,NY, Vegas) but I never got into the deep trance and hardcore house genre. I always liked vocals, maybe so I could sing in the shower.

During the quarantine I got into watching performances on Youtube. I kept going back to David Guetta and DJ Drop G and some other randoms.
Anyone else think Guetta is an awesome showman or am I just out of touch and hes too mainstream?

I just think performing on top of the Burg Al Arab and from the Icon Brickell Miami, the Louvre and at Ultra Music fest etc is just wild....

Last edited by Tommy-G; 03-19-2021 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      03-19-2021, 01:30 PM   #9
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Old school club kid from the mid-90's. I never really got into spinning, but I used to love to play with Virtual DJ back in the day. Funny you mention the snap mouse. I use two for work. I've gotten so used to them that everything else seems foreign to me now.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 01:36 PM   #10
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Old school club kid from the mid-90's. I never really got into spinning, but I used to love to play with Virtual DJ back in the day. Funny you mention the snap mouse. I use two for work. I've gotten so used to them that everything else seems foreign to me now.
Yeah now that I've been using it, it feels more comfortable. Except I hate the touch scroll. I find I have to turn the mouse off and on to a lot get it to scroll right
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      03-19-2021, 02:31 PM   #11
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2one8 View Post
Yeah now that I've been using it, it feels more comfortable. Except I hate the touch scroll. I find I have to turn the mouse off and on to a lot get it to scroll right
My first click mouse, I've used for years with no problems whatsoever. Still using this one with my work laptop. The UHMW on the bottom eventually rubbed completely off so I replaced it and still use. I had work buy me another, love it equally but I have the same problem with the scroll freezing.

I'll stop de-railing with mouse talk. Back to CDJ's.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 08:53 AM   #12
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Finally got around to playing with the controller last night. My last controller I used Virtual DJ, so thats what I'm used to. I tried the lite version of Serato but I found myself spending more time trying to find everything than I did playing, so I fired up Virtual DJ again.

I do miss sliders for deck levels. Also need to calibrate the jog wheels a little, topside vinyl mode is too touchy and side wheel isnt sensitive enough. But overall for $90 or whatever it was, it works pretty good.

Anyone used Rekordbox? When I get home I'll likely pick up a DDJ-400 or 800 and they are designed for Rekordbox. I know its fairly new compared to other software options.
Appreciate 0