BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

06-11-2021, 01:04 PM   #1
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Last minute cold feet with interior color choice

Next in line for an AWD M3 at my dealership with an allocation "expected soon." Regardless, would like to submit my build to my dealer for submission as soon as my allocation comes up. Here's what I'm sure on:

Frozen Portimao (,also still debating just regular glossy paint, but have always wanted to try a matte color at least once, ok with the special products needed and lack of buffing out scratches unless someone really wants to talk me out of it LOL)
Grey Orbit wheels
Black calipers

Thought I was set on Kyalami Orange, but saw a color palette at my dealer and was surprised how bright orange it was. In videos and pics it had a nice brown/tan mix...this was bright orange like a cantaloupe! How accurate are these samples?

Fiona Red looked great... dark/clay red but I'm not sure if I'm ready to rock the Superman/Spiderman look. But could consider it.

Silverstone probably "looks" the best...but with kids in the car...is this a suicide mission? Again, I'm ok with putting in some time/effort to maintain it, but I also don't want to be following around my passengers with detailing supplies every time.

All subjective, I know, but any thoughts would be appreciated!
      06-11-2021, 01:14 PM   #2
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

I've seen Kyalami Orange (KO) in person and it is definitely much more orange than brown or tan. It is bright but not over done in my opinion specially due to the two-tone design with black. The sample should be a perfect match. I am speccing it on Portimao Blue and I think it'll look great on glossy and frozen PB!

I also thought about Fiona Red (FR) but I've had several cars with red interiors so I want to switch things up.

If you like cars with sporty interiors I think KO and FR will work for you. If you prefer classy maybe consider Tartufo but I didn't like it as it didn't have the two-tone design.

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 02:05 PM   #3
kayt69
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' 330e

Garage List
2024 G01 X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
Next in line for an AWD M3 at my dealership with an allocation "expected soon." Regardless, would like to submit my build to my dealer for submission as soon as my allocation comes up. Here's what I'm sure on:

Frozen Portimao (,also still debating just regular glossy paint, but have always wanted to try a matte color at least once, ok with the special products needed and lack of buffing out scratches unless someone really wants to talk me out of it LOL)
Grey Orbit wheels
Black calipers

Thought I was set on Kyalami Orange, but saw a color palette at my dealer and was surprised how bright orange it was. In videos and pics it had a nice brown/tan mix...this was bright orange like a cantaloupe! How accurate are these samples?

Fiona Red looked great... dark/clay red but I'm not sure if I'm ready to rock the Superman/Spiderman look. But could consider it.

Silverstone probably "looks" the best...but with kids in the car...is this a suicide mission? Again, I'm ok with putting in some time/effort to maintain it, but I also don't want to be following around my passengers with detailing supplies every time.

I recommend you to get a matte PPF rather than going factory finish frozen color since you are not confident, that way you will ultimately have what you want, and can maintain it with a breeze compared to the factory finish. Being said about this PPF, I would say its not same as the factory finish but you know it will get the job done and make your life easy.

Also, If you ask me I would go with Tartufo in your case since kylami orange is what many will go.

Appreciate 1
evilalien450.50
      06-11-2021, 02:09 PM   #4
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

I wouldn't do Silverstone with regular young passengers.

I'm not into the blue exterior/red interior look (the Superman look), but that's just me.

You have to be in the mood for orange every day for KO. If you're on the fence, I'd say you aren't.

Thus, I'd seriously consider Tartufo or the Yas interior.

Or you could always just go with boring black.
Appreciate 1
evilalien450.50
      06-11-2021, 02:12 PM   #5
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AWD View Post
I've seen Kyalami Orange (KO) in person and it is definitely much more orange than brown or tan. It is bright but not over done in my opinion specially due to the two-tone design with black. The sample should be a perfect match. I am speccing it on Portimao Blue and I think it'll look great on glossy and frozen PB!

I also thought about Fiona Red (FR) but I've had several cars with red interiors so I want to switch things up.

If you like cars with sporty interiors I think KO and FR will work for you. If you prefer classy maybe consider Tartufo but I didn't like it as it didn't have the two-tone design.
Did you ever get tired of the red? All my bimmers have had black interiors and exteriors. But now I want to be more sporting and am ordering black over Fiona Red. It looks great from the outside, but inside does it ever get overwhelming? Will it clash with the interior LED lighting effects? I'm sticking with the extended leather and not full, so no red on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 02:35 PM   #6
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
Did you ever get tired of the red? All my bimmers have had black interiors and exteriors. But now I want to be more sporting and am ordering black over Fiona Red. It looks great from the outside, but inside does it ever get overwhelming? Will it clash with the interior LED lighting effects? I'm sticking with the extended leather and not full, so no red on the dash.
I love red interiors and would order it again if BMW didn't offer orange. I've had it on silver, black, red & white exterior and they all looked great! It does not get overwhelming and I always received compliments.

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2021, 03:13 PM   #7
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep

Hmmm, so what colors would go best with Fiona?

Should I just pony up and get like an individual silver to go with Fiona Red?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #8
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:

I think any of the grey options plus white, black, and individual silver would look great with Fiona.
      06-11-2021, 04:18 PM   #9
Mperor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 911S, G80 M3

Quote:

Well I think, if you want to try frozen paint and the red interior, I would suggest the Frozen Dark Gray with the bi-color wheel and red caliper?! This is my 3rd choice, but I opt out not to bother to maintain the frozen paint - but this combo would look sporty and aggressive!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 11:25 PM   #10
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Joe Achilles (YouTuber) got standard PB and Kyalami and it looks pretty great.

Color choice is as subjective as subjective gets - I think it looks fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 12:01 AM   #11
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:

Grey Orbit wheels
Black calipers

I personally would go for the Superman/Spider-Man combo.
I just locked in my allocation for individual voodoo blue and Fiona red interior.
This will be my second superman color combo bmw. Definitely gets attention and I think the combo works quite well as long as you aren't going for "subtle"

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 2
evilalien450.50
ando2000.50
      06-12-2021, 02:09 AM   #12
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:

I talked myself, with my sales contact's help, out of Silverstone. It is stunning, any I've seen (test drove, even) it in person with Portimao paint. But the risk of dirt, stains, and ink transfer from jeans is too high. And kids… at least I don't have dogs. It'll look great until it doesn't.

I'm going with Portimao exterior, Fjord blue interior. Basically the car with be blues, blacks, and CF.

FWIW, I was warned away from frozen by my sales contact too… not worth the hassle and risk of there is any damage. There are people who have it on the forums who disagree, so please don't only listen to my relatively risk-adverse opinion.
Appreciate 2
ando2000.50
MTM3641.00
      06-12-2021, 08:46 AM   #13
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:

Grey Orbit wheels
Black calipers

KO would go great with the FPB.

I've always been a fan of the Superman combo so I'd probably choose Fiona over KO.

For me though, I'm doing Silverstone with my exterior color choice….and I've got two kids (6 & 4) so I can let you know how its holding up in a year or two.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 10:27 AM   #14
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

If you thought KO was more of a tan and you liked that, have you considered Tartufo?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #15
Neophyte
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4M Comp

Superman combo one of the best.

If you're into what people think, everyone was always impressed and asking if it was a special edition or custom order on my m235i.

Traditional colors work well, but aggressive color combos are more unique.
      06-12-2021, 02:27 PM   #16
KiloCo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota// 22 G82 M4 Comp

Allocations!

Allocations were released on Wednesday. Does anyone know how long is the wait to get a Production number in Southern California. I already have the vehicle report.

Order status 047... means wait in line like everyone else.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 03:30 PM   #17
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
If you thought KO was more of a tan and you liked that, have you considered Tartufo?
Tartufo was nice, dark and sporty, but I don't think you can get it in two tone...

Was looking thru some of the older threads regarding Silverstone interiors and it seemed like most people were pretty happy with it, the upkeep didn't seem bad at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:10 AM   #18
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
I wouldn't do Silverstone with regular young passengers.

I'm not into the blue exterior/red interior look (the Superman look), but that's just me.

You have to be in the mood for orange every day for KO. If you're on the fence, I'd say you aren't.

Thus, I'd seriously consider Tartufo or the Yas interior.

Or you could always just go with boring black.
I have 2 year old and am 8 year old baseball player. My last two cars (BMW) have had white-ish interiors with zero regrets. Treat and protect the leather as you should, and it's really a non-issue. The biggest problem for me was baby formula and baseball dirt. Both show up on black leather (formula more so) too.
Appreciate 1
evilalien450.50
      06-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #19
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

I really liked KO in person, but just long term I think I’d get sick of it. Went with the more safe Silverstone option.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 11:01 AM   #20
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegester View Post
I have 2 year old and am 8 year old baseball player. My last two cars (BMW) have had white-ish interiors with zero regrets. Treat and protect the leather as you should, and it's really a non-issue. The biggest problem for me was baby formula and baseball dirt. Both show up on black leather (formula more so) too.
What are the ways you recommend protecting it? I've tended to skip leather treatments in the past, but always had dark interiors.

I don't expect my family (kiddo inclusive) to be destructive at all, but the time I have other people's kids in my car will non-zero. I worry most about ink transfer, though. The amount of time I wear "adult business clothing" is very close to zero, jeans A LOT. Shorts close to 90% of the time for the past year, but when I see an office again and commute with any regularity it'll almost always be jeans.

While I'm very comfortable with going the Fjord blue route, I do really like Silverstone and a couple of weeks ago would have lobbied OP to go that direction
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #21
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep

Well the wife actually didn't like KO so that makes it easier for me.

I read every old thread about Silverstone and it seems fine, especially if coated/treated initially.

So I guess it'll be the Super OCD Combo- Frozen Portimao Blue on Silverstone!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 02:25 PM   #22
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilalien View Post
What are the ways you recommend protecting it? I've tended to skip leather treatments in the past, but always had dark interiors.

I don't expect my family (kiddo inclusive) to be destructive at all, but the time I have other people's kids in my car will non-zero. I worry most about ink transfer, though. The amount of time I wear "adult business clothing" is very close to zero, jeans A LOT. Shorts close to 90% of the time for the past year, but when I see an office again and commute with any regularity it'll almost always be jeans.

While I'm very comfortable with going the Fjord blue route, I do really like Silverstone and a couple of weeks ago would have lobbied OP to go that direction
I use Leatherique for deep cleaning and conditioning. I've started using Cquartz coating recently which has dropped the dye transfer almost to nothing. As a software developer I never wear business attire, just dark jeans to work daily (pre-covid). Without the cquartz I was cleaning the leather every 2 months to remove dye transfer (it comes off very easily). I've not had to remove dye in over a year now. That's likely a combination of less driving and the cquartz leather protector (I have the old cquartz formula still).

I've also heard good things about Gyeon leather shield, but never used it myself
Appreciate 1
evilalien450.50