Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-29-2021, 02:02 PM   #23
Soylent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Other than showing everyone that you can afford a $7K piece of metal, what's the particular interest in this exhaust?

For the E92 M3 I could see the appeal since dropping nearly 50lbs of weight was a huge improvement on that platform.

But on the G80, why spend $7K on an exhaust other than to impress others?
Hey come on. We're not here to impress each other. I said it sounded great on the test drive M5 compared to the neutered G82. I didn't commit to buy. Hoping the aftermarket vendors can match the sound or make something better. I think anyone here can afford the exhaust. Same thing for someone spending $8k for aftermarket wheels when the stock are perfectly fine. If it floats your boat. Why judge?
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #24
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent View Post
Quote:
Other than showing everyone that you can afford a $7K piece of metal, what's the particular interest in this exhaust?

For the E92 M3 I could see the appeal since dropping nearly 50lbs of weight was a huge improvement on that platform.

But on the G80, why spend $7K on an exhaust other than to impress others?
Hey come on. We're not here to impress each other. I said it sounded great on the test drive M5 compared to the neutered G82. I didn't commit to buy. Hoping the aftermarket vendors can match the sound or make something better. I think anyone here can afford the exhaust. Same thing for someone spending $8k for aftermarket wheels when the stock are perfectly fine. If it floats your boat. Why judge?
For sure. Whoever wants to spend the money that's perfectly fine and no one should say a thing in that regard. I'm curious though why the appeal this time around since weight doesn't seem to be such an important factor and sound improvement on the S55/S58 is not as drastic as the S65.
      05-30-2021, 03:18 AM   #25
Soylent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C

Quote:
For sure. Whoever wants to spend the money that's perfectly fine and no one should say a thing in that regard. I'm curious though why the appeal this time around since weight doesn't seem to be such an important factor and sound improvement on the S55/S58 is not as drastic as the S65.
Good point. I incorrectly assumed that exhaust would sound as good on the S58 as it does on the S63.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 08:56 AM   #26
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

can't wait for Akrapovic system!!
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2021, 11:58 PM   #27
Telly9987
Just a guy with a heavy foot
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80

Other then weight, my assumption is that the Akra system will flow CFM differently than the stock pipe. Either resulting in an addition or removal of back pressure. Certain motors benefit from each differently. Im sure that an Akra pipe is designed to work along with some additional mods i.e tuning etc. At least on our race bikes etc thats the case. Weight is a by product of switching to titanium etc the gains are generally a more free flowing system with flow tested crossover points and sometimes even hotspot changes. Im not taking about just a slip on style exhaust but a true full system. Turbo/Down's back.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 03:37 AM   #28
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Guys, to your knowledge, in order to replace the downpipes does the entire powertrain need to be removed? I saw a couple of pictures online with the engine+gearbox removed from the car just to access the downpipes, is this possible or was it just a goofy guy?
Appreciate 0