BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-16-2021, 08:17 PM   #1
kbb
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 24' M3cs, 23' 911 GTS

Bluetooth Audio cutting off

I have been streaming music to CarPlay from my iPhone 11 Pro with Apple Music. I noticed after 15minutes or so, the signal gets choppy and the music will break as it's like a bad connection. Anyone experiencing this problem? I also notice my phone getting pretty warm/hot and this is not being charged.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 09:51 PM   #2
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

I'm android and Android Auto, but Yes to all of the above! I haven't really noticed a timeframe, but the BT audio signal does intermittently get choppy. And I've noticed the phone does get quite warm in the little charging spot. I drove back from my PCD. I put my phone in the charger at 92%. It made it up to 96% but ended the day at 44% with the majority of that time being in the charger. I'd only had the car for a day at that point so I wasn't expecting it to not charge and wasn't on top of the blue light orange light to know when it is and isn't. Recently I've taken my phone and held it very firmly out the window to cool it down at which point it goes back to charging. I don't see a good fix for this without BMW redesigning the charging space. Also, I find it's not hard to forget my phone in the car even with the reminder on because it's a bit out of sight out of mind when the phone is in the charger.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 11:16 AM   #3
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
I'm android and Android Auto, but Yes to all of the above! I haven't really noticed a timeframe, but the BT audio signal does intermittently get choppy. And I've noticed the phone does get quite warm in the little charging spot. I drove back from my PCD. I put my phone in the charger at 92%. It made it up to 96% but ended the day at 44% with the majority of that time being in the charger. I'd only had the car for a day at that point so I wasn't expecting it to not charge and wasn't on top of the blue light orange light to know when it is and isn't. Recently I've taken my phone and held it very firmly out the window to cool it down at which point it goes back to charging. I don't see a good fix for this without BMW redesigning the charging space. Also, I find it's not hard to forget my phone in the car even with the reminder on because it's a bit out of sight out of mind when the phone is in the charger.
I think wireless charging is neat/useful if I already have a lot of battery or I'm making a short drive. If not, I keep the charging cable in the center console for a proper charge.

As for choppiness/cutting in and out - I haven't experienced that. I have most of my songs downloaded to my phone via Apple Music so maybe there is a cell signal connection issue with you guys? Seems unlikely but entirely in the realm of possibility.

///M
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #4
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Wolf View Post
I think wireless charging is neat/useful if I already have a lot of battery or I'm making a short drive. If not, I keep the charging cable in the center console for a proper charge.

As for choppiness/cutting in and out - I haven't experienced that. I have most of my songs downloaded to my phone via Apple Music so maybe there is a cell signal connection issue with you guys? Seems unlikely but entirely in the realm of possibility.
No, I have the problem with Audible books and Spotify songs that are downloaded to phone as well. It's not a frequent thing, but it does happen.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 12:31 PM   #5
TheShiftyBadger
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Reviving an older thread, but I've definitely been having this happen with my G80 since I purchased it in April. I do not have wireless charging, but I have this happen fairly frequently with my S21 Ultra and Android Auto. Can confirm that it seems to happen when the phone gets warm. Same with u/snareman above, it even occurs with downloaded music and apps (so you can rule out cell signal interfering).

I've had good luck so far just being more conscious of where I put the phone (especially when plugged into a charger) and it doesn't seem to happen near as often. Can only imagine there is some performance throttling on the device to protect it from overheating, strange that I haven't had this happen in other cars with Android Auto though.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 09:55 AM   #6
Ghozthunter
Eleet Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: a bimmer

I experienced this problem right after driving out the dealer. Noticed if I paused the music it will work for a while and then continue to be choppy. Not a very good first impression lol
Appreciate 0