BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-22-2021, 11:06 AM   #23
dubzz24
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
don't think so. Also the E46 had an important engine problem (Vanos), and even that, the issue hasn't affected the re-sale price at all.

Exactly. E46 had vanos grenading engines, rear subframes ripping out, and rod bearings that even if replaced under the recall, or original updated version, still eat themselves. Hasn't seemed to hurt the resale LOL.

E9x had bearing and throttle actuator issues, F8x had spun crank hubs etc. Every generation of M seems to have its own set of issues, and it sounds like BMW is actually going to step up and correct the affected cars in this case, unlike in many instances with prior generations.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 11:19 AM   #24
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp AWD IOMG

I'm in a position where I may be able to take in a 2022 M3 Comp xDrive or keep my (almost new) 21' RS5 Sportback. One thing that worries me is build quality with a lot of these newly produced G80s (especially the ones being rushed through the factories now without certain parts and being retrofitted later).

I'm just worried about potential build quality issues, rattles, etc. Already seeing threads from people complaining about a lot of things including steering wheel vibrations, internal cabin rattles, etc. I've gotten lucky with my current car (almost 6000 miles) so not sure if I should jinx it or potentially wait a few years and then get an M3. I already had a 21' M3 Comp as well (which was totaled which is why I have the RS5 now), and that one had a pretty bad central dash buzzing on coarse highway roads, so I don't even know anymore. I think it's just a BMW issue in general as every car i've owned from them had some sort of rattle.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 11:20 AM   #25
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Porsche, while obviously an excellent choice, is not the brand to shop if you want a new car quickly.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2021, 12:31 PM   #26
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by modat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Bond View Post
Because BMW's removal of the issue from the API super fast makes me believe that there is more to that story and they should go official on it.
The overall issue is pretty hidden now and everything looks like BMW does not want the general public to know about it at any cost. They do provide different info to different dealers, not telling what exactly will be done to fix it and why they now cutting pretty much all allocations to all dealerships.

I want to be optimistic (I'm still pending delivery of my car, as its arriving at the US port tonight) but everything looks too suspicious gelated to the G8* series.
Man, even if you get a car that's not affected at all, this is going to leave a major stain on this model year and maybe even the whole generation when it comes to re-sale.
Wtf are you talking about. Stop being so dramatic
Do you think *everybody* will have no issue with a car whose engine had to be opened up, and whose long term reliability past the initial owner may be in question? Even owners of brand new vehicles hate to consider the proposition.

If you are aware of what happened here as a used-car buyer, and you cared about this, if you could *not* deterministically know if the car you're looking at never had the issue, what would you do? If a used car buyer gets the impression BMW might have tried to cover up the extent of the issue so that the worst problems *may* only show up well outside warranty, what do you think is going to happen?

BMW makes great engines but people know to avoid engines like the N63 / S63, or N26 with its timing chain issues. So this is not something really new.
      10-22-2021, 12:49 PM   #27
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Do you think *everybody* will have no issue with a car whose engine had to be opened up, and whose long term reliability past the initial owner may be in question? Even owners of brand new vehicles hate to consider the proposition.

If you are aware of what happened here as a used-car buyer, and you cared about this, if you could *not* deterministically know if the car you're looking at never had the issue, what would you do? If a used car buyer gets the impression BMW might have tried to cover up the extent of the issue so that the worst problems *may* only show up well outside warranty, what do you think is going to happen?

BMW makes great engines but people know to avoid engines like the N63 / S63, or N26 with its timing chain issues. So this is not something really new.
Fair points.

BMW and the dealer network did a great job with the E46 M rod bearing recall; we know that practically every car from 2001-2003 got it done and the failure rate of those cars appear to be about the same as the rest of the run.

You can always get recall work info from any service center in the network. That's how any dealer can track whether you need it or not. This was the case for the massive Takata airbag recall.

Unlike issues with previous engines that had relatively high prevalence, this recall doesn't appear to be in response to actual failures. It's proactive, suggesting that the issue is probably a known defective batch of the part in question or a known period of incorrect or incorrectly followed procedures. The problem is known, limited, and tracked. I don't think it'll have an effect on the marketability of the G8x at all (used or new).
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #28
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Quote:

Fair points.

BMW and the dealer network did a great job with the E46 M rod bearing recall; we know that practically every car from 2001-2003 got it done and the failure rate of those cars appear to be about the same as the rest of the run.

You can always get recall work info from any service center in the network. That's how any dealer can track whether you need it or not. This was the case for the massive Takata airbag recall.

Unlike issues with previous engines that had relatively high prevalence, this recall doesn't appear to be in response to actual failures. It's proactive, suggesting that the issue is probably a known defective batch of the part in question or a known period of incorrect or incorrectly followed procedures. The problem is known, limited, and tracked. I don't think it'll have an effect on the marketability of the G8x at all (used or new).
Agreed. BMW just needs to be transparent and willing to make it right, and it should be alright. Otherwise people are just going to assume the worst and that won't do anyone any favors.
02M3ForMe4257.00
      10-23-2021, 10:46 AM   #29
Bch53211
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmy View Post
I'm in a position where I may be able to take in a 2022 M3 Comp xDrive or keep my (almost new) 21' RS5 Sportback. One thing that worries me is build quality with a lot of these newly produced G80s (especially the ones being rushed through the factories now without certain parts and being retrofitted later).

I'm just worried about potential build quality issues, rattles, etc. Already seeing threads from people complaining about a lot of things including steering wheel vibrations, internal cabin rattles, etc. I've gotten lucky with my current car (almost 6000 miles) so not sure if I should jinx it or potentially wait a few years and then get an M3. I already had a 21' M3 Comp as well (which was totaled which is why I have the RS5 now), and that one had a pretty bad central dash buzzing on coarse highway roads, so I don't even know anymore. I think it's just a BMW issue in general as every car i've owned from them had some sort of rattle.
Rushing through the factory?! Mine started production 9/22 and it’s still at the factory. As for issues, I remember lots of people complaining about those same issues with the f80 particularly vibrations. I had and f80 and an f82 and neither had any issues whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 11:14 AM   #30
KevinMO91
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Comp Xdrive

In this current market you have to have patience period. No matter who you order through your gonna be waiting 2 months or longer due to shortages.

The list of cars that even compete in the price range is extremely small.

I was actually in the market for a Charger hellcat widebody, M3 wasn't even on my even a thought.

I went to my local dealership and they pulled me around saying they couldn't give me a specific price and then came out and said that I couldn't afford the car due to my age (I look super young and am 30). They then tried to back track and say it was a generalized thing and that people in the area couldn't really afford one. So obviously, I called around and found a dealership 1 hour away and they were promising me the world.

"Oh we can get you one on order under msrp, come in now and we can tell you the deals and incentives we have coming out for next month! ( it was very end of March).

I go in and they tell me "oh you have to wait until April 2nd for new incentives, but you can order now and we can worry about that when the car comes in" They set up prices based on the current incentives, they weren't adding any incentives before ordering so it was full price, then they told me they dunno when the car is coming, so I told them if I was paying full price on a car I'd rather buy a BMW.

Went on the website looked at the new m3, called local dealership, went in person, put a deposit and ended up with a 22 m3 xdrive.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2021, 11:29 AM   #31
Bch53211
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMO91 View Post
In this current market you have to have patience period. No matter who you order through your gonna be waiting 2 months or longer due to shortages.

The list of cars that even compete in the price range is extremely small.

I was actually in the market for a Charger hellcat widebody, M3 wasn't even on my even a thought.

I went to my local dealership and they pulled me around saying they couldn't give me a specific price and then came out and said that I couldn't afford the car due to my age (I look super young and am 30). They then tried to back track and say it was a generalized thing and that people in the area couldn't really afford one. So obviously, I called around and found a dealership 1 hour away and they were promising me the world.

"Oh we can get you one on order under msrp, come in now and we can tell you the deals and incentives we have coming out for next month! ( it was very end of March).

I go in and they tell me "oh you have to wait until April 2nd for new incentives, but you can order now and we can worry about that when the car comes in" They set up prices based on the current incentives, they weren't adding any incentives before ordering so it was full price, then they told me they dunno when the car is coming, so I told them if I was paying full price on a car I'd rather buy a BMW.

Went on the website looked at the new m3, called local dealership, went in person, put a deposit and ended up with a 22 m3 xdrive.
Find it hard to believe they said you cant afford it because you’re too young. Maybe that was your perception but seems really unlikely. If true I’d mention it to the manager.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 12:32 PM   #32
DonJuan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, F15 X5, F30 328d, E30

Quote:
Man, even if you get a car that’s not affected at all, this is going to leave a major stain on this model year and maybe even the whole generation when it comes to re-sale.
Some E46 M3 had a similar issue that still haunt them today.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 11:57 AM   #33
Lakeside
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bch53211 View Post
Find it hard to believe they said you cant afford it because you’re too young. Maybe that was your perception but seems really unlikely. If true I’d mention it to the manager.
I realize this post is a couple months old but thought I'd mention that I had this exact same thing happen to me when I was 34. I bought the car elsewhere and brought it by to see the salesman later just to be spiteful.

It's been 19 years and the only money I've spent in that dealership was for some oil in a pinch.