BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-25-2021, 11:25 AM   #749
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava777 View Post
Somewhat of an unrelated question, but was not sure if it deserved its own thread.
Who is responsible for assigning a "carrier" from the VPC to the dealer? the dealer, VPC?
Ever since the news broke out about the bearing issue, every time i called Genius they would say my car was pending for a carrier to be assigned and to call my dealer for more info. Now that the stop sale is clear, who arranges transportation?
VPC. They always say that in order to decrease the call volume and let the dealer handle any issues/complaints.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2021, 11:28 AM   #750
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgokev View Post
My guess is BMW first said "we know it's on cars from XX/XX to YY/YY so for now let's hold everything in that range up" and then forum enthusiasts found it and freaked out and they had to pull the info off the UK site.

Since then, BMW likely said "okay we can now narrow it down to these specific engines with parts from this supplier" … and even further since then "using these specific parts from this specific batch from this specific supplier".

Modern manufacturing has immense traceability for exactly this reason.

For me, if I'm not listed I have zero worry about this popping up later. Sucks for the people in this thread that panic sold their car and/or canceled delivery of their orders. Others are likely now enjoying their unaffected cars. But, it's a lesson in being overly reactionary to incomplete information.
Welcome to Bimmerpost where "I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend's neighbour told me" comes across as being factual. It's why I don't like to closely follow or contribute to these types of threads until I know the complete story and if I can add something factual.

If you were here during the M2 Competition stop delivery, that thread was a s—t show with grossly inaccurate info.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:28 AM   #751
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava777 View Post
Somewhat of an unrelated question, but was not sure if it deserved its own thread.
Who is responsible for assigning a "carrier" from the VPC to the dealer? the dealer, VPC?
Ever since the news broke out about the bearing issue, every time i called Genius they would say my car was pending for a carrier to be assigned and to call my dealer for more info. Now that the stop sale is clear, who arranges transportation?
Dealer would not assign the transportation carrier and it would be done by BMW logistics.

Genius might have directed you to the dealer as your SA would be able to see the same updates which you get from Genius team.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:55 AM   #752
Chava777
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3C X

Thanks Gfit vj123 ! I sorta figured, made the most sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 01:36 PM   #753
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue g80

You guys think bmw is still narrowing down on the affected car? Genius stating my car still has the stop sale. Hopefully I’m not the unlucky bunch.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 02:35 PM   #754
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by g80 Portimaoblue View Post
You guys think bmw is still narrowing down on the affected car? Genius stating my car still has the stop sale. Hopefully I’m not the unlucky bunch.
yeah they appear to be--- posted already but I know alot people are not going to sift thru 30 plus pages

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower View Post
I spoke with senior management at my local dealer this morning. Based on that conversation, it appears that hundreds of cars have been removed from the main bearing recall/delivery stop list in the past few days.

Perhaps BMW changed the UK recall site because it was showing false positives.

We still don't have complete information, but hopefully the sky isn't falling.
So after reading this I called my buddy at the dealer and my car is now removed....

This was the recall check on the 12th

This is the recall check today:

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3480.00
      10-25-2021, 03:35 PM   #755
Sottozero
Private
Rep
Drives: X3MC 2022

My car (X3M Competition) was initially on the list, but I texted my dealer and he said it no longer shows any active campaigns against my VIN.

So BMW is effectively tracing and culling the affected vehicles.

This is why we cannot freak out and react to incomplete and/or unverified information. Speculation spins way out of control.

Here's wishing good luck to all, and that this latest information is valid.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 04:54 PM   #756
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sottozero View Post
My car (X3M Competition) was initially on the list, but I texted my dealer and he said it no longer shows any active campaigns against my VIN.

So BMW is effectively tracing and culling the affected vehicles.

This is why we cannot freak out and react to incomplete and/or unverified information. Speculation spins way out of control.

Here's wishing good luck to all, and that this latest information is valid.
Dunno about good news, I'd sort of be concerned because BMW initiated this hunt and who really knows what criterion they are using to define a problem or a non-problem? Maybe something is still squirrelly but they tweaked their criterion to have it pass?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #757
Sottozero
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohawks23 View Post
Dunno about good news, I'd sort of be concerned because BMW initiated this hunt and who really knows what criterion they are using to define a problem or a non-problem? Maybe something is still squirrelly but they tweaked their criterion to have it pass?
I doubt that. If they fudged parameters to get a soft pass then they will be dealing with main bearing failures down the road. I can’t see BMW punting like that when it comes to rabid owners of its enthusiast brand.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 05:28 PM   #758
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Quote:
I doubt that. If they fudged parameters to get a soft pass then they will be dealing with main bearing failures down the road. I can’t see BMW punting like that when it comes to rabid owners of its enthusiast brand.
Hard to determine not knowing their data/criterion...still would be concerning to me if my car was initially flagged...I'd be asking for some more specific technical reassurance.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 05:58 PM   #759
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue g80

[QUOTE=Vic55;28181316]yeah they appear to be--- posted already but I know alot people are not going to sift thru 30 plus pages

I’ve been keeping up with every post. I was more on the lines of if bmw is nearing the end of their investigation or if this will be on going for a long time. Probably too early to know. I’m just worried because my car is still affected and if more time passes without my car being lifted from the recall that means a higher chance my car will be affected.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 06:16 PM   #760
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

[QUOTE=g80 Portimaoblue;28182105]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
yeah they appear to be--- posted already but I know alot people are not going to sift thru 30 plus pages

I’ve been keeping up with every post. I was more on the lines of if bmw is nearing the end of their investigation or if this will be on going for a long time. Probably too early to know. I’m just worried because my car is still affected and if more time passes without my car being lifted from the recall that means a higher chance my car will be affected.
My car is still affected as well. You’re not alone.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 07:40 PM   #761
sleepdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX DG/Blk

What build week are you ? Just curious - I’m week 30.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 07:44 PM   #762
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepdoc View Post
What build week are you ? Just curious - I’m week 30.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 08:05 PM   #763
NSG332
Private
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C43 AMG

I'm still affected. My CA told me there were many cars that had their stop sale lifted but unfortunately mine was not one of them...he'll check tomorrow morning again but I'm assuming at this point I'm going to be waiting for a long time...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-25-2021, 08:56 PM   #764
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree with your comment. An organization like BMW would include vehicles in a recall even if they have the slightest doubt. Long term, it would be beneficial and cost effective to include those vehicles in an official recall rather than going spending resources on government regulation, litigation and fixing vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 09:24 PM   #765
Hoosiers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3

Drop ship longblocks

Hello, haven't logged in for a decade or so. I moved away from BMW after they went turbo, but I'm back. Anyway, I know a lot of you are concerned about techs opening up the bottom end of this engine but I received this from an LA area dealer today when discussing the stop sale on an in stock G80:

"Only way to avoid any markup would be to order the vehicle, but you may end up waiting 4-6 months…I spoke with my tech and they said Bmw is just going to drop ship entire longblocks."

SO, if this has been announced already I'm sorry.
Appreciate 1
NSG33238.50
      10-25-2021, 10:54 PM   #766
Sottozero
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
I agree with your comment. An organization like BMW would include vehicles in a recall even if they have the slightest doubt. Long term, it would be beneficial and cost effective to include those vehicles in an official recall rather than going spending resources on government regulation, litigation and fixing vehicles.
I agree. And in the post above me, the poster says that BMW is shipping entire longblocks (which I assume to mean full engine, not just a block assembly) which to me is the cleanest option for repair. It's NOT the cheapest option, so if that is what BMW is doing then hats off to them.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 03:20 AM   #767
eclipsenf
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have another small update from my dealer, they told me that 18 cars in Australia were affected by the recall. We have about 25 million people here.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 04:14 AM   #768
eMMit
M Enthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3Comp xDrive FDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsenf View Post
I have another small update from my dealer, they told me that 18 cars in Australia were affected by the recall. We have about 25 million people here.
To be clear though, not all of us have ordered a G8x.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 05:13 AM   #769
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsenf View Post
It would be great to get which vin’s to finally get the cat out of the bag.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 06:49 AM   #770
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree. And in the post above me, the poster says that BMW is shipping entire longblocks (which I assume to mean full engine, not just a block assembly) which to me is the cleanest option for repair. It's NOT the cheapest option, so if that is what BMW is doing then hats off to them.
BMW would take the hassle free route considering the nightmare of opening engines in their dealerships for rework. Yes it will be expensive option but they can reuse the engines by reworking them in the factory anyways. Its the expense involved with logistics which isnt much considering the bigger picture.
Appreciate 1