BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you use your My BMW app to track your car when it is not in your possession?
Yes 12 48.00%
No 6 24.00%
I never thought of doing this but I will in the future. 4 16.00%
I am not paranoid and trust people. 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

10-04-2021, 05:04 PM   #1
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Do you track your car with the My BMW app when in service or with a valet, etc.?

I dropped off my car today for full PPF and out of curiosity I clicked on the My BMW app to see something else and noticed the current location showing. Luckily it is parked where it should be but this is a great tool to see if someone has gone for a joy ride.

How many of you use the My BMW app to track your car when it isn't in your possession?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 09:47 PM   #2
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep
Drives: LCI M6 GC, other stuff.

No, I just check the miles before and after.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2021, 11:38 PM   #3
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
No, I just check the miles before and after.
I used to do that years ago, now with the My BMW app you not only know it has been driven but you have a very good chance of locating it if it is still being used.
Appreciate 1
Minacious312.00
      10-05-2021, 02:00 AM   #4
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep
Drives: LCI M6 GC, other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
I used to do that years ago, now with the My BMW app you not only know it has been driven but you have a very good chance of locating it if it is still being used.
Certainly! I have it installed on my phone and have played around with it a bit, so it's there if the need ever arises.

Hell, the last time my car was at the dealership, while waiting to have my car pulled up, I saw 2 young service lads running to the parking lot to see which one is going to be the one to bring it up. I could only imagine if they had the opportunity to take it for a spin.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2021, 07:32 AM   #5
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Certainly! I have it installed on my phone and have played around with it a bit, so it's there if the need ever arises.

Hell, the last time my car was at the dealership, while waiting to have my car pulled up, I saw 2 young service lads running to the parking lot to see which one is going to be the one to bring it up. I could only imagine if they had the opportunity to take it for a spin.
I had a similar experience, my car was at the dealer for a service and whilst I was waiting for it I noticed 2 young service staff drive out the dealership in my car presumably taking it for a test drive. The driver had his sunglasses on and was slouched in the seat with one arm hanging out the window - looked like he was on a Sunday pimping session!! WTF!! I hate to think what happened next
Of course I used the app to track the car and later spoke to the service manager about my concerns.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2021, 09:52 AM   #6
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2C

I check mileage and if I have any reason to suspect anything or I'm bored I'll also check the dash cam. Also handy to see if they leave it unlocked overnight but I haven't had to do that.

My wife's Lexus, however, shows each trip on a map. I'll say if there was fast acceleration, harsh braking, or fast cornering during the trip and how many times of each. I wish we had that. We went to pick up her car (brand new IS350 F Sport) and noticed a small chip in the paint on the front bumper so they said they would get it fixed and gave her all weather mats for free as an apology. She had to make an appt then go back and drop it off to then take a loaner car. They dropped it off at a local (non-Lexus) shop and there were zero issues with that trip. Likely it wasn't a douche looking to go on a joy ride and/or knew it would show up on the app. The shop brought the car in for work then left the car unlocked all night. I had installed a dash cam so we can confirm it was outside. The guy from the shop who returned it had way too much fun as all of that (acceleration, braking, cornering) showed up on the trip. Not only that but they made it worse. They added scratches, places of visible overspray, and the emblem was scuffed. Sales guy met with my wife to be like "look it's fixed!" but then she pointed out all the other issues. He tried to get someone to buff it out but it wasn't happening. At that point she said just get a new bumper and ultimately Lexus swapped the bumper with another brand new one. Even the service guy who was asked to swap a bumper on a brand new car said "I told them to stop using those guys!" when we explained what happened.
Appreciate 2
540iSUP703.00
      10-07-2021, 07:11 AM   #7
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
I had a similar experience, my car was at the dealer for a service and whilst I was waiting for it I noticed 2 young service staff drive out the dealership in my car presumably taking it for a test drive. The driver had his sunglasses on and was slouched in the seat with one arm hanging out the window - looked like he was on a Sunday pimping session!! WTF!! I hate to think what happened next
Of course I used the app to track the car and later spoke to the service manager about my concerns.
When I lived in NYC the service manager at my Mercedes dealer would inform me that they needed to take out my CLK500 convertible on the highway to locate the source of the loud noises I was complaining about which occurred more than once. I always checked the mileage on the odometer vs what was written on the paperwork to keep them honest.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 11:35 PM   #8
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

No. I've got far better things to do with my time than worry about .... nothing. If you don't trust your dealer, move on.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 06:16 AM   #9
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
No. I've got far better things to do with my time than worry about .... nothing. If you don't trust your dealer, move on.
It isn't just your dealer, a few years ago one of my friends had his car taken for a joy ride by a valet at a wedding he attended.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 07:11 PM   #10
KKevin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90

It sounds you watched the movie Shang-Chi where they took that red M8 for a joyride lol
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2021, 09:15 AM   #11
byf
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 5.0 2014

I am use the old application of "My BMW" any one can share the updated application to me in any download sites or in this forum but not from (Google play) please
Thanks
Appreciate 0