BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-02-2021, 09:47 PM   #1
Quevoo8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3 Competiton

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I want to start this by saying I absolutely love my G80 M3 but with that being said I am a car junkie. I haven't kept any car that I've owned longer than 1 year. I don't know if this matters but I'm 24 years old…I really thought when I bought my G80 I would be buying it after the lease ended. I'm in the car business, I sell exotics so I get a chance to pretty much drive everything you can think of. I got curious and decided to check the value of my g80 and of course I was in a positive equity position (shouldn't have done that) * now my brain is running and I'm actually considering letting this baby go. Originally I was going to buy a new 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan to drive daily and let my G80 sit a little so I could keep the miles down…I have a 5 year old so it made perfect sense to get a little more space. Now that I've checked the values I've looked at all my options. Audi RS7, M8 competition, X6M, even looked at the AMG GT63 4 door too but with Mercedes announcing the stop of their V8 builds. Prices sky rocketed, doesn't make sense on that particular car…my thought process was that I could move into a higher horsepower car for the same or even a payment decrease or even have the dealer just cut me a equity check. Not sure, if you actually read this. I'm asking you what are your thoughts? How do you like your G80? Any itches like me? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      10-02-2021, 11:06 PM   #2
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quevoo8 View Post
I want to start this by saying I absolutely love my G80 M3 but with that being said I am a car junkie. I haven't kept any car that I've owned longer than 1 year. I don't know if this matters but I'm 24 years old…I really thought when I bought my G80 I would be buying it after the lease ended. I'm in the car business, I sell exotics so I get a chance to pretty much drive everything you can think of. I got curious and decided to check the value of my g80 and of course I was in a positive equity position (shouldn't have done that) * now my brain is running and I'm actually considering letting this baby go. Originally I was going to buy a new 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan to drive daily and let my G80 sit a little so I could keep the miles down…I have a 5 year old so it made perfect sense to get a little more space. Now that I've checked the values I've looked at all my options. Audi RS7, M8 competition, X6M, even looked at the AMG GT63 4 door too but with Mercedes announcing the stop of their V8 builds. Prices sky rocketed, doesn't make sense on that particular car…my thought process was that I could move into a higher horsepower car for the same or even a payment decrease or even have the dealer just cut me a equity check. Not sure, if you actually read this. I'm asking you what are your thoughts? How do you like your G80? Any itches like me? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.
Don't have a G80 but well aware of that itchiness. It definitely gets worse when whatever car i have is missing something. As you know, there is no perfect car. When I went from 2 cars to 3 cars so I could have more purposeful vehicles it did help to some degree. 99% of car buying choices and satisfaction are purely subjective.

Maybe get that Tiguan and then trade the M3 for an actual sports car perhaps? Although the M3 is plenty car for a single 5 year old. You're gonna have to come up with a better excuse than that lol. Also most cars you'll want to replace the car with will be overpriced too, so the equity in the M3 may not have as much true value.

It's a disease, good luck!

Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13404.50
Quevoo8297.00
      10-02-2021, 11:10 PM   #3
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Agree, its a disease. I ordered this car with all of the options, otherwise I would be in the same situation as you. I skipped the carbon buckets, not for a daily. And the carbon exterior, because I want the exhaust, that comes with a new rear diffuser. But I ordered everything else, even the M Driver, to bump the governor to 180. Only way I can keep myself interested.

Appreciate 1
Quevoo8297.00
      10-02-2021, 11:34 PM   #4
Quevoo8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Quote:
Don't have a G80 but well aware of that itchiness. It definitely gets worse when whatever car i have is missing something. As you know, there is no perfect car. When I went from 2 cars to 3 cars so I could have more purposeful vehicles it did help to some degree. 99% of car buying choices and satisfaction are purely subjective.

Maybe get that Tiguan and then trade the M3 for an actual sports car perhaps? Although the M3 is plenty car for a single 5 year old. You're gonna have to come up with a better excuse than that lol. Also most cars you'll want to replace the car with will be overpriced too, so the equity in the M3 may not have as much true value.

It's a disease, good luck!
Lol I really thought the 5 year old line would've worked. You made some solid points, maybe I should look into a traditional sports car. It's 100% a disease, my friends always think I'm crazy but unless you're really like us you'll never understand.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2021, 11:55 PM   #5
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

I have mine listed right now for a stupid price to see what happens. I think BMW knocked it out of the park with the G80, but it is so hard to use it in a suburban area like San Diego. Most of the time it is just frustrating to be driving such a fast and capable car 15 mph below the speed limit because there are 3 gardener trucks and seven soccer moms in front of me.

The M3 is my 17th BMW and it is amazing. But every time I get a fast car I have the same complaints.
Appreciate 2
mlc5063.50
      10-02-2021, 11:57 PM   #6
Quevoo8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
I have mine listed right now for a stupid price to see what happens. I think BMW knocked it out of the park with the G80, but it is so hard to use it in a suburban area like San Diego. Most of the time it is just frustrating to be driving such a fast and capable car 15 mph below the speed limit because there are 3 gardener trucks and seven soccer moms in front of me.

The M3 is my 17th BMW and it is amazing. But every time I get a fast car I have the same complaints.
Maybe move to FL? While we do have some busy parts. Lots of road to open up your cars.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2021, 05:14 AM   #7
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

This itch has a name: AADD (automotive attention deficit disorder). I’ve had it since kindergarten; still do. Longest I’ve kept any car is my first E39 M5 (5 years), in part because it was a garage queen. Shortest was 4 weeks (twice).

If you really enjoy the M3, and press consensus views it as ‘one of the greats,’ I’d suggest resisting the urge and hanging onto it. On the other hand, the Audi RS6 looks and goes the business. (Florida isn’t known for windy roads, so who cares how an Audi handles?)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 05:58 AM   #8
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

I've had the following 12 cars all in the last 12yrs. Very familiar with the car disease/addiction.

2003 M3
2007 335
2008 135
2008 EvoX
2012 135
2013 X3
2015 335
2015 M3
2017 X1
2019 Jeep
2019 X3M40
2021 X5
2021 Jeep
Appreciate 1
Quevoo8297.00
      10-03-2021, 06:10 AM   #9
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
I have owned/leased 37 vehicles so far and the longest I owned one was about 43 months. Sold it 6-7 months after the last payment, 1999 Ram 3500 4x4 diesel.

Buy out the lease and send it to the auction. Check Manheim you'll see they seem to sell for $15-$20k over MSRP right now with 3k-5k miles. Guessing you may have a wholesale manger working there too, ask that person to block the car for you. I think it will get you more cash than asking a BMW store to cut you a check.

Last edited by edofloat; 10-03-2021 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
Quevoo8297.00
      10-03-2021, 06:26 AM   #10
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Despite what i might have said in a different thread about NOT letting go the M3, in your case, i say do it.

I know what it was like to be in your shoes. Not so much having an exotic business but my dad and his friend went partners in owning a user car dealership that had mostly, "luxury performance cars". He did have ferrari's and AMG's, M5's of the day etc. So i can imagine you're like a kid in a candy store. Seeing all the amazing cars, why commit to just one right? lol

Also, the other cars you listed, are the big dog V8 monsters, all of which are an upgrade to the G80 M3.

I say do it.
Appreciate 1
Quevoo8297.00
      10-03-2021, 06:32 AM   #11
LTJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche GT3

should have gotten a manual tranny and had something to work on.

From the 24 year olds that I've instructed, they sure need the practice.....
Appreciate 1
kDot17388.00
      10-03-2021, 09:59 AM   #12
Quevoo8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edofloat View Post
Quote:
I have owned/leased 37 vehicles so far and the longest I owned one was about 43 months. Sold it 6-7 months after the last payment, 1999 Ram 3500 4x4 diesel.

Buy out the lease and send it to the auction. Check Manheim you'll see they seem to sell for $15-$20k over MSRP right now with 3k-5k miles. Guessing you make have a wholesale manger working there too, ask that person to block the car for you. I think it will get you more cash than asking a BMW store to cut you a check.
I never thought about sending it to auction, that's a great idea.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 10:06 AM   #13
Quevoo8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Despite what i might have said in a different thread about NOT letting go the M3, in your case, i say do it.

I know what it was like to be in your shoes. Not so much having an exotic business but my dad and his friend went partners in owning a user car dealership that had mostly, "luxury performance cars". He did have ferrari's and AMG's, M5's of the day etc. So i can imagine you're like a kid in a candy store. Seeing all the amazing cars, why commit to just one right? lol

Also, the other cars you listed, are the big dog V8 monsters, all of which are an upgrade to the G80 M3.

I say do it.
We get so many different trades in and the first thing I do is take them out lol. It's honestly opened my mind and showed me owning a luxury dealer is in my near future. How else can you make a car nut happy? My biggest concern was that sending it off I lose the "wow" factor of the beautiful isle of man green. Then I remembered there are multiple wrap companies out here.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      10-03-2021, 10:49 AM   #14
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
We get so many different trades in and the first thing I do is take them out lol. It's honestly opened my mind and showed me owning a luxury dealer is in my near future. How else can you make a car nut happy? My biggest concern was that sending it off I lose the "wow" factor of the beautiful isle of man green. Then I remembered there are multiple wrap companies out here.

While i'm not a fan of IOMG, it is an eye catcher, which is why i believe most people get it. It wows people when they see the car. Their eyes are naturally drawn by the car itself, then the color just makes it pop. I totally get it. Maybe that's why people buy yellow cars as well.

I think the only very uncommon color i ALMOST bought, was a 2019 RS5 in orange. I don't know the exact color name. But it was for sale for a while, orange RS5 with all the black accents. It looked amazing. And i'm not one to go for those rare, uncommon colors. I'm basic. I like gray, white, blue and sometimes silver.

With that said, do you think it's the color that made you bored? Or is it strictly the profit thing? Is that why you mentioned the wrap thing?

My dad's dealership was part reason why i started to appreciate luxury performance. I drove my first ever M5. Not the V10, the gen after that? Not the current gen, i think it was a 2015 or 2016. Because this was back in 2015-2016. Sorry i still know nothing about BMW history lol. But it was a V8 M5. I think it was a 2015.

I was like wow, now i totally get why people like these cars. It was comfortable, luxurious, and fucking fast.

Just might be a shot in the dark but why not just keep the M3, but also put it on TURO? That way you can recoup money as you're using it, while buying something else to keep you entertained? That of course if your budget allows.

I will be doing something similar come spring. I will be leasing a tesla Y LR, that will be my daily but 2 weekends a month it will be on TURO, to pay off the monthly, thus having a free car essentially.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #15
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp AWD IOMG

Lol I’m in a similar position but in reverse. Had a fully loaded 21’ M3 Comp (except ceramics and carbon buckets / exterior) that unfortunately got totalled. I finally was able to secure an allocation for another later (same build but 2022 xDrive) but as it was taking a while I got fed up with waiting and got a 21’ RS5 Sportback in Tango Red, Black interior with red crescendo stitching and black optic launch edition Package. Car is incredible and interior is amazing (and exterior as well). The virtual cockpit is awesome. The LC is amazing. Knowing that the M3 AWD has an even faster LC is making me reconsider.. again. I still have the other M3 coming in and am wondering if I should swap or not. I’m legitimately 50/50 on this as there’s things I love about both. I do like that the RS5 is quieter and more comfortable, better sound system, etc. As this will be primarily a DD and road trip car logically my brain says to keep it, but the M3 did have that more special drive factor so my heart is making me reconsider. First world problems 🤣

I just don’t know if I’ll be able to even trade it in for enough to come out at least equal. I got the car for 86.5k (89.3k MSRP) at 2900 miles (new ones were going for 5k over MSRP) and it’s got about 5150 miles. Will probably be at 6000-7000 by the time the M3 comes in. But the M3 would also be at 0.9% for 60 months vs. the 2.59% for the RS5.

Last edited by dimmy; 10-03-2021 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
Quevoo8297.00
      10-03-2021, 11:47 AM   #16
Quevoo8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmy View Post
Lol I'm in a similar position but in reverse. Had a fully loaded 21' M3 Comp (except ceramics and carbon buckets / exterior) that unfortunately got totalled. I finally was able to secure an allocation for another later (same build but 2022 xDrive) but as it was taking a while I got fed up with waiting and got a 21' RS5 Sportback in Tango Red, Black interior with red crescendo stitching and black optic launch edition Package. Car is incredible and interior is amazing (and exterior as well). The virtual cockpit is awesome. The LC is amazing. Knowing that the M3 AWD has an even faster LC is making me reconsider.. again. I still have the other M3 coming in and am wondering if I should swap or not. I'm legitimately 50/50 on this as there's things I love about both. I do like that the RS5 is quieter and more comfortable, better sound system, etc. As this will be primarily a DD and road trip car logically my brain says to keep it, but the M3 did have that more special drive factor so my heart is making me reconsider. First world problems 🤣

I just don't know if I'll be able to even trade it in for enough to come out at least equal. I got the car for 86.5k (89.3k MSRP) at 2900 miles (new ones were going for 5k over MSRP) and it's got about 5150 miles. Will probably be at 6000-7000 by the time the M3 comes in. But the M3 would also be at 0.9% for 60 months vs. the 2.59%.
I actually looked at the RS5 too lol, while it's a great looking car. I felt it wasn't aggressive looking enough, my biggest seller on any car I go for is how aggressive does it look. Feel like your car represents your personality, bold bright colors and aggression is me haha. That Xdrive M3 will be a monster…I say get it back 😭😭😭😭
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 11:58 AM   #17
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I actually looked at the RS5 too lol, while it's a great looking car. I felt it wasn't aggressive looking enough, my biggest seller on any car I go for is how aggressive does it look. Feel like your car represents your personality, bold bright colors and aggression is me haha. That Xdrive M3 will be a monster…I say get it back 😭😭😭😭
Agreed it does look more aggressive! IMO the RS5 looks good too though and I like the animations on the headlights and taillights, and it’s kinda cool how even for the 4 door they kept the coupe frameless windows. Just the little things lol. I’ll attach some pics of both. Only thing different on the incoming M3 actually is Tartufo instead of KO and 826m black wheels instead of 826m bi-colors
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
sJohnny264.00
      10-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #18
Quevoo8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed it does look more aggressive! IMO the RS5 looks good too though and I like the animations on the headlights and taillights, and it’s kinda cool how even for the 4 door they kept the coupe frameless windows. Just the little things lol. I’ll attach some pics of both. Only thing different on the incoming M3 actually is Tartufo instead of KO and 826m black wheels instead of 826m bi-colors
I absolutely love sportbacks, I miss my 435I gran coupe. It was so practical with that hatch opening, may be the reason I'm looking at the RS7 so hard 😅. That RS5 is beautiful, I'm not normally a red guy but that one in the sun is the perfect red. That steering wheel too 🥵…I see why it's hard.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 12:03 PM   #19
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The good news is I have some time to think on it still 🙏
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 12:06 PM   #20
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I absolutely love sportbacks, I miss my 435I gran coupe. It was so practical with that hatch opening, may be the reason I'm looking at the RS7 so hard 😅. That RS5 is beautiful, I'm not normally a red guy but that one in the sun is the perfect red. That steering wheel too 🥵…I see why it's hard.
Yea man that steering wheel is special. As much as I loved the meaty M3 steering wheel, there’s just something about a flat bottom alcantera one 🔥

And agreed on the color too. I’m not usually a big fan of red but this combo with the black optics goes well 👌

Honestly on the attention grabbing front both vehicles have gotten a lot of looks. I do think the M3 is newer and more unique and there’s really nothing like it on the road right now
Appreciate 1
Quevoo8297.00
      10-03-2021, 12:14 PM   #21
itsmabs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TT RS, A6 allroad

This thread speaks to me. Tough to explain the itch to friends and family. lucky I never got a itch for exotics.

my journey
4cyl accord coupe
6cyl accord couple
335xi
F90 m5 + tuscon
m4
x3m40i
rs5 sport back fast but felt lifeless
x3m
TT RS and A6 allroad
next
TT RS and.... waiting two years. I want a m3 touring with all my heart, but if that doesn't happen, I'll pony up to the rs6.

Of all the cars I've had, the ones I've loved are my first car, the m4 and the TT RS. The others I've enjoyed. I think the M3 is a car I'd love. But I'd imagine the rs6 would be the same, and the rarity is also really satisfying. Good luck with the decision. I'll say I also had deep buyers on parting with a couple, but luckily you can always get a replacement in a individual color
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 12:26 PM   #22
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Man those RS5's are so nice!
Appreciate 1
dimmy169.00