G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

10-12-2021, 03:36 PM   #23
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubzz24 View Post
I'm not sure if you've talked about this in any other threads, but are you able to share a bit about your experience with the F80 DCT vs G80 6MT?

I just placed an order for an individual Enzian blue G80, and right now my order is for an xdrive Comp but I'm completely torn on which direction to go and probably have a month or so to decide if I want to change my order to a 6spd. I've always been a MT guy, but the performance delta between the 2 models is staggering now. On my F87 I went with the 6spd over DCT but that was only a couple tenths difference with no change in power; not a full second difference in the 0-60 and quarter mile.

Is everyone with a 6spd still enjoying their cars? Is anyone regretting not going for the Competition xdrive?

I should note that I also have a Tesla Model S P85D as a daily, and I understand that straight line acceleration isn't everything or else I wouldn't have the need for a fun car in my garage.
I actually think the 6MT in my G80 is pretty good. Now, it's not nearly as good as what is in my 718 GT4 - that may be one of the best clutch/shifter/gearbox combos to grace a street car. Overall the G80 is pretty smooth, though somewhat long shifts, but the clutch is easy to modulate. As I drive the car more and get more used to it, I find myself getting acclimated rather quickly.
That said, I'm interested in how BMW tuned the ZF8 in the Competition cars. I had an M5 Comp and was not a huge fan of the ZF8 in that car, but have heard BMW did some work to make it a bit more sporting and responsive given the nature of the M3 vs M5.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 05:10 PM   #24
sleepy floyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1974 Ford Bronco, 2022 M4

Here's the funny thing --- if you read the reviews, there are a number of reviewers saying you have to get the 6mt...then others saying that the competition is the way to go (including this youtuber who's channel is called "save the manuals"

I've gone back and forth myself, leaning towards the xdrive comp though I've only test driven the 6mt. I put a 5 speed manual in my '74 Bronco. No performance obviously, but I do have something that lets me row through the gears (my 14 y.o. daughter has already told me she wants to learn how to drive it ). Different strokes...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 06:43 PM   #25
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
After i drove an m5 competition i just had to try the m3 flavor and i have never had an awd car.
Appreciate 0