BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

09-27-2021, 06:27 PM   #1
MavRick
Captain
Rep
Drives: My Wife's M

Stop Sale Experiences Thread - Charleston, SC/Greer/PCD

its a shame that this is where we are but....here we are. our M4 is scheduled to dock at the Charleston VPC with a stop sale due to RAM and camera. my SA has told me that we are Priority 1 because its a sold vehicle and will be a PCD. i will update the thread with any info i get.

has anyone else had a stop sale with an impending PCD delivery at the Charleston port? what was you wait time? i read in one of the various threads that some 'Genius' told a member that the ports in the south had the shortest hold times for the retrofitting. i find that hard to believe but...we will see.

Last edited by MavRick; 11-18-2021 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2021, 09:19 AM   #2
dshovel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 G80 6MT Santorini Blue

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
My G80 Base is due into Charleston on the Donington vehicle carrier on October 9th. It had two stop sales when it was dispatched to port in Germany. The first was the camera module and that has already been fixed somewhere along the way. The second stop sale was RAM and my SA told me it is already tagged for a fix at the port in Charleston. In his words... "the parts are waiting for it."

Let's hope he is right! I'm also doing PCD delivery.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 09:32 AM   #3
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Forgive my ignorance, but what do these stop sale situations mean? The car passes final production checks even though some components/options are not yet installed? Then they ship it across the pond and install these things at the port once the parts are available? Why?

I'm also curious to know what kind of labor and equipment BMW operates at all these ports? Why not either do it at the factory or at the place of delivery (dealer / Performance Center)?
      09-28-2021, 09:46 AM   #4
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what do these stop sale situations mean? The car passes final production checks even though some components/options are not yet installed? Then they ship it across the pond and install these things at the port once the parts are available? Why?

I'm also curious to know what kind of labor and equipment BMW operates at all these ports? Why not either do it at the factory or at the place of delivery (dealer / Performance Center)?
Yes. Huge part shortages. Doing this way keeps the production line running. Definitely not ideal, but likely the smartest approach. Ford was considering shipping incomplete F150s to dealers while waiting for parts, but decided not to.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/17/...-ship-dealers/
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 10:11 AM   #5
MavRick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Yes. Huge part shortages. Doing this way keeps the production line running. Definitely not ideal, but likely the smartest approach. Ford was considering shipping incomplete F150s to dealers while waiting for parts, but decided not to.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/17/...-ship-dealers/
Porsche is selling vehicles (Macans) without TPMS and rain sensors. they are having them retrofitted at a later date at the dealership.

Last edited by MavRick; 09-28-2021 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2021, 01:20 PM   #6
MavRick
Captain
Rep

The Donington is dropping off in Brunswick, today, and will be in Charleston on Saturday. Fingers crossed that I get a text from my CA, next week, asking what dates I want for PCD. That will mean that the parts are there and the retrofitting is imminent...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 06:13 PM   #7
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M (on order)

Monitoring this thread closely. I’m still at Bremerhaven port, haven’t yet been informed of any stop sale (but expecting one for RAM), and also doing PCD.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 07:59 PM   #8
RaylanGivens
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp

Mine is due in Charleston on 10/21. RAM stop sale. PCD, as well. Fingers crossed at this point. Good luck to everyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 12:48 PM   #9
dshovel
Private
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavRick View Post
The Donington is dropping off in Brunswick, today, and will be in Charleston on Saturday. Fingers crossed that I get a text from my CA, next week, asking what dates I want for PCD. That will mean that the parts are there and the retrofitting is imminent...
My fingers are crossed too! I have not heard from my CA yet either.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #10
MavRick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshovel View Post
My fingers are crossed too! I have not heard from my CA yet either.
now im worried about the stoopid engine stop sale. smh...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 01:55 PM   #11
dshovel
Private
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
now im worried about the stoopid engine stop sale. smh...
Say it ain't so! I have not heard of that one. I thought our cars were 1/2 way out of the woods.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 04:03 PM   #12
MavRick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Say it ain't so! I have not heard of that one. I thought our cars were 1/2 way out of the woods.
looks like i dodged a bullet...

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1864926
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 11:45 PM   #13
dshovel
Private
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Same here. Mine shows zero recalls.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 03:40 PM   #14
MavRick
Captain
Rep

Wheels on the ground. Let the wait begin…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 10:09 PM   #15
dshovel
Private
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Same for me. I don’t think PCD will schedule until the stop sales are removed. Hope it’s fast!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 11:09 PM   #16
MavRick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Same for me. I don’t think PCD will schedule until the stop sales are removed. Hope it’s fast!
my CA forwarded this to me back in the middle of September...

Dear [redacted],

As you may be aware, certain BMW models are on Stop Sale and those vehicles cannot be delivered to the customer until all repairs are completed and the campaign/stop sale has been removed. The vehicle for "MavRick's wife", production #xxxxxx, may be affected by the campaign/stop sale and for that reason we cannot schedule his/her Performance Center Delivery date at this time. We will contact you with additional information regarding a delivery date as soon as the campaign/stop sale has been removed. Please make sure that he/she is aware of the delay and understands that we will schedule his/her delivery date as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Kelli

so my hope is to have them reach out for scheduling...which will confirm the the retrofitting has taken place or imminent.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 09:29 AM   #17
tmilnthorp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
My G80 Base is due into Charleston on the Donington vehicle carrier on October 9th. It had two stop sales when it was dispatched to port in Germany. The first was the camera module and that has already been fixed somewhere along the way. The second stop sale was RAM and my SA told me it is already tagged for a fix at the port in Charleston. In his words... "the parts are waiting for it."

Let's hope he is right! I'm also doing PCD delivery.
Mine is also headed for Charleston for PCD. I do have the RAM stop sale also. I am curious how your SA found that out. Mine told me there's no way to know what VPC has what parts, when they will receive them, or when it may be complete.

I'm worried about how long the RAM fix will take to get parts/install. I don't want to be driving the car back in the dead of winter on summer performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 10:02 AM   #18
dshovel
Private
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmilnthorp View Post
Mine is also headed for Charleston for PCD. I do have the RAM stop sale also. I am curious how your SA found that out. Mine told me there's no way to know what VPC has what parts, when they will receive them, or when it may be complete.

I'm worried about how long the RAM fix will take to get parts/install. I don't want to be driving the car back in the dead of winter on summer performance tires.
I really don't know how he found out. All he said was, "my sales manager told me the parts were waiting for the car in Charleston."

I also got the same letter back in middle September that MavRick got forwarded from the PCD team explaining that they could not schedule the delivery until the stop sales were removed. It had no indication of an expected date for a fix.

I'm now patiently waiting for my SA to call with good news.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 10:13 AM   #19
tmilnthorp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I really don't know how he found out. All he said was, "my sales manager told me the parts were waiting for the car in Charleston."

I also got the same letter back in middle September that MavRick got forwarded from the PCD team explaining that they could not schedule the delivery until the stop sales were removed. It had no indication of an expected date for a fix.

I'm now patiently waiting for my SA to call with good news.
Thanks for the info. I am at the port in Germany still, so hopefully there will be parts still available on arrival. Keep us posted! Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #20
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmilnthorp View Post

I'm with you, in more ways than one. At Bremerhaven, subject to RAM stop sale, doing PCD after winter tires would normally be mounted.

Recalls the other time I took PCD with an E90 M3. Encountered freezing temperatures in higher elevations of NC (on Hellbender), then dodged freezing rain in final sprint to Indianapolis. Made it home safe and sound (photo taken days later near home).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-11-2021, 03:11 PM   #21
tmilnthorp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
I'm with you, in more ways than one. At Bremerhaven, subject to RAM stop sale, doing PCD after winter tires would normally be mounted.

Recalls the other time I took PCD with an E90 M3. Encountered freezing temperatures in higher elevations of NC (on Hellbender), then dodged freezing rain in final sprint to Indianapolis. Made it home safe and sound (photo taken days later near home).
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 07:32 AM   #22
MavRick
Captain
Rep

So...the car went from 'in transit' while it was on the boat back to 'at the port' when it docked at the VPC in Charleston. and now...it says 'in transit', again. does that mean its on the way to the Performance Center? do they affect the fixes for the stop sales there? have the stop sales been fixed at the VPC in Charleston?

I NEED ANSWERS!!!!
Appreciate 0