BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

09-19-2021, 06:34 PM   #1
RoccoVA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46M3,E60M5,F97X3M G87M2 F91M8

Allocation and timeline question:

I recently sat down with a CA at my local BMW dealer and spec'd out a G80 with individual paint. He said that he had to secure an allocation and that would probably not occur until November sometime and that delivery would likely be in February 2022. Does this timeline sound right to you all or does this vary heavily by dealer?

Thanks for any input!

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 06:48 PM   #2
JMU_BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Skyscraper Grey M4

The allocations definitely vary by dealer, but production time doesn't. Assuming they can get an allocation by November, then I would say February is probably a little too optimistic. More likely you wouldn't get it until the spring
Appreciate 1
Draper3454.00
      09-19-2021, 07:24 PM   #3
mrbrett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Honestly right now, 3 months sounds like a best case scenario. Because of the chip shortages, production has been challenging for BMW and all carmakers for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 07:33 AM   #4
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Just chip shortage makes 3 month timeline optimistic. Adding an Individual paint will extend the timeline further as most of them are built in batches.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 08:15 AM   #5
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Around 6 months at a minimum right now after actually getting your allocation… I’m just slightly jaded though. Ordered early June, originally week 27, eventually moved to week 35 and now have 2 stop sales.

Just expect the worst and maybe it won’t be so bad
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 10:38 PM   #6
m5eattle
human
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Garage List
There's a long line of people in front of me, also. Seattle BMW thinks it will be a "couple weeks" to get an allocation. Based on the current rate of allocations, I'm figuring a couple of months -- just to get a production number! Going to call a broker friend in the midwest to see if he can arrange something faster.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 11:57 AM   #7
retroviol3t
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Jahre - Techno Violet

I put a deposit on my build a few days ago and the dealer told me 90 days to receive COMPLETED car.

I asked for clarification on 90 days into production or 90 days to completion. They said completion and typically their cars are 90 days give or take.

My Lord, I hope they're right!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 12:26 PM   #8
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrobot View Post
I put a deposit on my build a few days ago and the dealer told me 90 days to receive COMPLETED car.

I asked for clarification on 90 days into production or 90 days to completion. They said completion and typically their cars are 90 days give or take.

In a typical situation, yes. In the current chip crisis, maybe.

There are several reports on production weeks getting pushed and also stop sale orders for vehicles in the port.

Hope you get yours in time.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 02:47 PM   #9
petrol_phxz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 X-Drive Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrobot View Post

Do you have an allocation? I've been waiting 30 days for an allocation. If i get one next week (when the next round should drop) it would be for a build week in November which would mean a January delivery if production is on schedule. That would be about 6 months total from pre-order to taking delivery.

BMW is for the most part, so i'm told, being pretty accurate with a 90 day windows from order acceptance (allocation received and accepted by the plant) to delivery.

The biggest issue is getting an allocation.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 07:12 PM   #10
akbjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I also placed my deposit in September. I was told the dealer gets 2-4 allocations per month and a given months allocations are from the following month. Meaning Septembers allocation begin building in October, so worst case I should get one in December (third month of allocations from now) and expect April/Mat delivery.....I think thats about right??
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 07:20 PM   #11
petrol_phxz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbjr View Post
I also placed my deposit in September. I was told the dealer gets 2-4 allocations per month and a given months allocations are from the following month. Meaning Septembers allocation begin building in October, so worst case I should get one in December (third month of allocations from now) and expect April/Mat delivery.....I think thats about right??
From what my CA has told me, allocations are release the last week of the month (typically) and are for build weeks 30+ days out. For example, allocations that release next week will be for November build weeks (or later).

If you get an allocation in November it would likely be for January build weeks or later. Then its a couple weeks for production, couple weeks to get on a ship, couple weeks to his the US. If you are on the West Coast, add on a few more weeks for the vessel to swing down and through an panama canal (I guess).

Basically, we're all impatiently waiting
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 07:23 PM   #12
akbjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

That is essentially what I have heard as well. Only difference is that here in IL they said they get allocations early in the month for the proceeding month build dates.....regardless, time to wait I guess. Eventually it will show up.....
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 07:34 PM   #13
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M (on order)

From my experience, M3/4 allocations have been scarce the past few months. The Midwest region has been receiving only a handful each month, so I opted to do business with a dealer outside my region who did get an allocation.

For you new members who are being assured an allocation is certain, “the proof is in the pudding.” I wouldn’t put down a deposit until the dealer can provide you a production number to correspond to your order. Until they can, it’s just words coming from a salesperson.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 09:53 PM   #14
petrol_phxz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
From my experience, M3/4 allocations have been scarce the past few months. The Midwest region has been receiving only a handful each month, so I opted to do business with a dealer outside my region who did get an allocation.

For you new members who are being assured an allocation is certain, “the proof is in the pudding.” I wouldn’t put down a deposit until the dealer can provide you a production number to correspond to your order. Until they can, it’s just words coming from a salesperson.
My dealer, who i think is a pretty large one in the area, only received 2 M3 allocations last month and have 6 in the bank (i was number 6).

Luckily my CA won't have me put down a deposit until an allocation is available for my order!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 04:47 AM   #15
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yes, the coasts (both East and West) have sold far more M cars in the recent past, which translates to more allocations for those dealers now for M models.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 05:36 AM   #16
M3GALLY
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2020 MDX, 2003 c320

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post

For you new members who are being assured an allocation is certain, "the proof is in the pudding." I wouldn't put down a deposit until the dealer can provide you a production number to correspond to your order. Until they can, it's just words coming from a salesperson.
No one has allocation though if you don't put a deposit down to be on the list to get the next available one how are you supposed to get one.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 02:02 PM   #17
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM3GALLY View Post
No one has allocation though if you don't put a deposit down to be on the list to get the next available one how are you supposed to get one.
Exactly.

No one has free allocations right now, but people are putting deposits down to get in line for the next set that are released.

Some people don't like this, but it is what it is right now. As long as your deposit is refundable, then you might as well get on the list.
      09-22-2021, 05:09 PM   #18
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If that’s the current ante, I don’t fault you for putting down a deposit. Exactly a month ago, that wasn’t the case with the out-of-state dealer through whom I ordered my M4. They requested a deposit within 24 hours after providing me a production number, which I considered very reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 07:39 AM   #19
merlin3008
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

The dealer I went with took my credit card number but only ran it through for my deposit when they had secured an allocation. That being said, with allocations pretty scarce around here, I wouldn't have had a problem if he had taken a refundable deposit earlier.
2016 M235i xdrive, Alpine White, Terra Leather, Orbit Gray Wheels (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 09:37 AM   #20
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by weefmower View Post
There's a long line of people in front of me, also. Seattle BMW thinks it will be a "couple weeks" to get an allocation. Based on the current rate of allocations, I'm figuring a couple of months -- just to get a production number! Going to call a broker friend in the midwest to see if he can arrange something faster.
I got a production number in July through BMW Seattle. The car’s only in the paint booth right now. I only expect to see the car at the end of the year, if I’m lucky.

Given my experience, you should expect a car only about March/April 2022 if you do get an allocation soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 11:40 AM   #21
M3GALLY
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2020 MDX, 2003 c320

Is there an allocation update thread? One that states when dealers got their last allocation and if anyone knows when next is expected??
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 12:31 PM   #22
SintAFM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by weefmower View Post
I got a production number in July through BMW Seattle. The car’s only in the paint booth right now. I only expect to see the car at the end of the year, if I’m lucky.

Given my experience, you should expect a car only about March/April 2022 if you do get an allocation soon.
Also got my allocation on 24 July. Car hasn't even started being built yet (still status 112).

I originally thought I may get it by Thanksgiving timeframe, but even that seems optimistic now
Appreciate 0