BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

09-17-2021, 04:37 PM   #23
kDot17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kDot17 View Post
I was just informed by Genius that the only components affected by the current chip shortages are the Harmon Kardon sound system, lumbar support control, ventilated seats, and passenger seat extension control. Based on "insider info" from one of the other build week threads, BMW is prioritizing production of high end models like M cars over standard vehicles, so I'm guessing our cars will not be left hanging without sound systems.

They did tell me that some people will have affected options removed from their builds and have the money credited back to them, but all these options only apply to the standard seats. so it seems like if you ordered carbon buckets all your options are safe from the chip shortages
Man I’d rather wait then lose any of the options.
I would rather wait as well; I ordered the carbon bucket seats so none of those potentially lost options apply to me, but from what genius said it doesn't seem like waiting will be an option. They'll start production without them if parts aren't available in a reasonable timeframe.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 04:40 PM   #24
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RgEstate View Post
Me too! WTF credit back? Like to the dealer? You don’t pay until you receive car
credit to the MSRP of course. you can always refuse delivery and ask for your deposit returned.
Appreciate 1
kDot17388.00
      09-17-2021, 04:42 PM   #25
kDot17
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
Quote:
Me too! WTF credit back? Like to the dealer? You don’t pay until you receive car
credit to the MSRP of course. you can always refuse delivery and ask for your deposit returned.
Yes, credit to the MSRP. You aren't paying for the option then losing it and having the dealer pocket the money lol.. I didn't think this required clarification…
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2021, 04:45 PM   #26
RgEstate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 g80

So they can build a car with seats having no lumbar support? BMW? I’ll believe it when I see it... like most of the speculation
Appreciate 1
Patton2502936.50
      09-17-2021, 04:48 PM   #27
RgEstate
Private First Class
Rep

What about the audio? No audio? I was under the Impression that BMWs position during the shortage was to cannibalize or divert limited chip supply towards their premium models like The M cars? It would be surprising if they truly did that as I’m sure they would lose customers... but who knows, we shall see

Last edited by RgEstate; 09-17-2021 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 05:12 PM   #28
kDot17
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm just letting you guys know exactly what Genius just told me. Not alleging any of these things myself.

Clearly they won't build a car without a sound system. I would think that as they are receiving a trickle supply of semiconductors, they are using them for the sound system rather than the other options listed because it is a 100% must-have component. As far as lumbar support adjustment or passenger seat extension adjustment go- those are far less necessary than a basic sound system. Tesla just this year stopped putting adjustable lumbar support in the Model 3 and Y because their fleet data indicated that a staggeringly high percentage of buyers never once touched it. Again, I'm not saying this is right or wrong of them to do. Just reporting.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 05:20 PM   #29
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
I'm just letting you guys know exactly what Genius just told me. Not alleging any of these things myself.

Clearly they won't build a car without a sound system. I would think that as they are receiving a trickle supply of semiconductors, they are using them for the sound system rather than the other options listed because it is a 100% must-have component. As far as lumbar support adjustment or passenger seat extension adjustment go- those are far less necessary than a basic sound system. Tesla just this year stopped putting adjustable lumbar support in the Model 3 and Y because their fleet data indicated that a staggeringly high percentage of buyers never once touched it. Again, I'm not saying this is right or wrong of them to do. Just reporting.
There’s no way they’re going to release a premium car like the M3 without the fully adjustable seats including lumbar support. It’s just not going to happen. Maybe they would cut out the fans in the seats I don’t know. However I still would rather wait to get everything on it then have any of those things missing. We will be lucky if we get this these stupid things anyway. The shortages are going to get worse because we are feeling the pain from what governments did a year ago. Manufactures are falling even further behind all over the world due to the recent shut downs. I don’t see how they can ever catch up. Not for years anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 05:30 PM   #30
RgEstate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 05:32 PM   #31
kDot17
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

There’s no way they’re going to release a premium car like the M3 without the fully adjustable seats including lumbar support. It’s just not going to happen. Maybe they would cut out the fans in the seats I don’t know. However I still would rather wait to get everything on it then have any of those things missing. We will be lucky if we get this these stupid things anyway. The shortages are going to get worse because we are feeling the pain from what governments did a year ago. Manufactures are falling even further behind all over the world due to the recent shut downs. I don’t see how they can ever catch up. Not for years anyway.
I did see in other threads that people were told passenger seat ventilation is also something that's up in the air. I agree with you that it is unlikely BMW will just dispatch cars without base options like lumbar support, but these are unprecedented times. Who knows.
Appreciate 1
Patton2502936.50
      09-17-2021, 05:35 PM   #32
kDot17
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Reporting = spreading FUD... happens in all markets
Why would I benefit from spreading FUD? I'm a consumer just like you, with an order placed and a horse in the race…
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 05:43 PM   #33
RgEstate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Why would I benefit from spreading FUD? I'm a consumer just like you, with an order placed and a horse in the race…
Re-read how your post comes off as an authority who has credible info from a “genius”. “I got buckets” so I’m ok.... it’s not what you said it’s how you said it (it creates FUD in the g80 community)

Idk maybe your team buckets vs non bucket seats

I’d take the carbon buckets if they ditch the ventilation.... hopefully they give us the option to switch or should I just change now and avoid the struggle

Last edited by RgEstate; 09-17-2021 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 06:26 PM   #34
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I did see in other threads that people were told passenger seat ventilation is also something that's up in the air. I agree with you that it is unlikely BMW will just dispatch cars without base options like lumbar support, but these are unprecedented times. Who knows.
They are totally unprecedented times. You are absolutely right. However I still would rather wait then have cool stuff missing.
Appreciate 1
kDot17388.00
      09-18-2021, 02:03 AM   #35
Loma
Second Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW

That already has been happening on regular 3-series. I know a few guys that had "Passenger Lumbar Support" deleted, though, they got something in return like Live Cockpit Pro. It would be hard to offer some extra options for most of us.
      09-18-2021, 09:55 AM   #36
RgEstate
Private First Class
Rep

I will be shocked if the M3 is stripped down of those features as one of their premium models... but your right, you never know in these unprecedented times... this really has me thinking about switching to carbon buckets... I don’t want to get stuck with regular seats no options 😒
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 10:20 AM   #37
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I will be shocked if the M3 is stripped down of those features as one of their premium models... but your right, you never know in these unprecedented times... this really has me thinking about switching to carbon buckets... I don’t want to get stuck with regular seats no options 😒
Brother if you use this car more than once a week you are not going to want those carbon bucket seats. Trust me. Also if you are slightly overweight you’re not even going to want to use them once a week. I have a feeling that anyone that’s not using this car for only racing will regret getting carbon bucket seats. Eventually anyway. Although I imagine some will deny it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 01:30 PM   #38
kDot17
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Brother if you use this car more than once a week you are not going to want those carbon bucket seats. Trust me. Also if you are slightly overweight you’re not even going to want to use them once a week. I have a feeling that anyone that’s not using this car for only racing will regret getting carbon bucket seats. Eventually anyway. Although I imagine some will deny it.
My M3 won't be my daily, but I will be driving it at least a few times a week. I also want to track it at least a few times a year. I'm still taking the chance with the buckets, despite there being no examples whatsoever at any of the dealers in my area to try sitting in. My test drive had standard seats and there was nothing remarkable or distinguishable about them; I literally didn't think anything of them or about them the whole time I was driving. To me the buckets seem like they change the entire feel and vibe of the car, from just being in a luxurious sport sedan to a special experience in a high performance machine. Plus I'm 6'1" ~180lbs so I think/hope my body type will be fine. I'm seeing people in the seat threads buying them at 5'11" 250 and saying they're relatively comfortable… but I'm also seeing tiny people saying they hate them lol. I understand this is very much a gamble, but I want to err on the side of being special and just plain cool. Coming from a rock hard STI, honestly I think this M3 in any configuration will be way more comfy to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 02:35 PM   #39
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My M3 won't be my daily, but I will be driving it at least a few times a week. I also want to track it at least a few times a year. I'm still taking the chance with the buckets, despite there being no examples whatsoever at any of the dealers in my area to try sitting in. My test drive had standard seats and there was nothing remarkable or distinguishable about them; I literally didn't think anything of them or about them the whole time I was driving. To me the buckets seem like they change the entire feel and vibe of the car, from just being in a luxurious sport sedan to a special experience in a high performance machine. Plus I'm 6'1" ~180lbs so I think/hope my body type will be fine. I'm seeing people in the seat threads buying them at 5'11" 250 and saying they're relatively comfortable… but I'm also seeing tiny people saying they hate them lol. I understand this is very much a gamble, but I want to err on the side of being special and just plain cool. Coming from a rock hard STI, honestly I think this M3 in any configuration will be way more comfy to me.
That’s cool. I am small at 5’7” and slim. The carbon bucket seats are a real pain in the ass to get in and out of for sure. The standard seats however I had on my first G80 I thought were very luxurious and comfortable. You can adjust them 30 different ways and they hold you in pretty good. I guess it’s just what you’re going to use the car for. However is very important we all remember it’s permanent. You can’t change them.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 03:15 PM   #40
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I literally didn't think anything of them or about them the whole time I was driving.
That's actually what you want, especially on track. But yeah, if you are seriously tracking the car, get the buckets. Buckets hold you in much better, especially at the limit. I'm big built but very used to being in race seats/harnesses but for a daily driver I don't want or need that. Of course the carbon buckets look sick...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 12:17 PM   #41
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I got booted from week 40 to 42 and was just told I am now a member of week 44!

Looks like Christmas is ruined now..lol.

Sounds like we will have our cars around new years or later. = (
      09-23-2021, 03:57 PM   #42
kDot17
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
I got booted from week 40 to 42 and was just told I am now a member of week 44!

Looks like Christmas is ruined now..lol.

Sounds like we will have our cars around new years or later. = (
I've been told by both genius and my dealer that week 44 should be arriving right around Christmas. However here in LA we are only like an hour drive from the port of arrival.
Appreciate 1
BIGW0RM3011.00
      09-23-2021, 08:46 PM   #43
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I changed my build to TB so now I guess I am out of week 44
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 07:32 AM   #44
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3

I've been told I'm week 44 but without a production number. Anyone else in the same situation? I suppose it's just an estimate in their system and it could change, but for now I'll have anxiety in here. My build is pretty basic...6MT, Alpine white on black, carbon seats, led lights, 826m bi color.