BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-28-2021, 01:49 PM   #243
rmmiii
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 m3 competition

Garage List
I'm 6'2", 180. 800 miles in. Several 2.5 hour drives in. No track days yet, but that is why I got them. My f82 was a lot of fun on track but I got a bit tired of shoulder bruises from clamping down the shoulder belt or sliding around when I didn't clamp down the belt enough. There wasn't an aftermarket harness that worked with the stock Bmw sport seats that I could find. I didn't kill myself looking and I didn't want to modify the car, to be fair.

Back to the g80 with the carbon buckets

So far the hump in the middle is not noticeable. Getting in and out requires a bit of work. More so the out than the in. The lack of lumbar is a bit sad, but the seats hold you in quite well. Not an issue moving around a little while on longer drives. And, as a dad with kids that are about my height now, I can say the leg room in the back is more than enough even for me. Finally, others have commented on this, but you have a lot more flexibility on sitting lower in the car. That is nice on the road but will be really nice on the track. On the track in my last car I had about a half an inch between the top of my helmet and the roof liner. This car has a lot more "clearance".

So, if you don't plan on tracking your car, I might pass. If you do, I would seriously consider them. I will also say that my sa told me that the take rate on them is higher than Bmw planned and that is one reason why my car was several months late.

I will get on the track later in September and find out how they do on the track!
Appreciate 3
bmwdrive461.00
Jon H390.00
element561089.50
      09-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #244
Jon H
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
Let me start by saying I could have "lived" with them had the M3 I bought had them. I did not want them as I have a GT3 with Porsche Carbon buckets and that is enough.
I had a 991 GT3 with LWBs. Great on the track but I tore up the bolsters getting in and out. If I had to do it again, I would just get regular seats and just swap in a track seat as it got old getting in and out as a semi daily. Seems like the way to go with the G80.

M3Cx, E92 M3 6MT
Previous cars: '21 Supra, '17 GT-R, '15 GT3, '13 GT-R '09 GT-R, '06 Z06, '06 Evo MR, '05 M3, '03 Evo, '00 Miata.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 03:05 PM   #245
theone210
theone210
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 competition xdrive

I have personally sat in both seats and hands-down I would pick these carbon fiber seats over the regular seats. I am 5’9 to 190-200 pounds. The seats hug you in the hips slightly snug but in my opinion it feels better than the standard seats. The standard seats are too plush and it feels like they do not belong in an M4 or an M3. This is very subjective and I feel you should get what you want and everybody’s opinion is going to be different but at the end of the day I am choosing the carbon fiber seats hands-down no questions asked. Even if I have to figure out how to get In and out of the seat it doesn’t matter that’s how amazing the seats are the look the feel the craftsmanship. this may never happen again in our lifetime. The seats on any other car Porsche, McLaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, would be a $10,000 option minimal. all I can say to Get what you want and live with your decision. if you have never sat in the seats I do recommend sitting in them. I sat in both and I made up my decision in less than 30 seconds. If anybody cares my wife also sat in them and she said these aren’t as bad as I thought they would be. I’ll take that as a Win. If anybody has any questions they can p.m. me and I will answer anything that I can

Last edited by theone210; 09-01-2021 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 2
JMU_BMW152.50
Remington307.50
      09-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #246
theone210
theone210
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 competition xdrive

Talking Carbon fiber seats

I also feel to mention that I ordered my vehicle and it should be here the end of October with the carbon fiber seats. Once I get my vehicle I will post pictures
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 03:09 PM   #247
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Been driving the CF seats for months (although I did take a break to get shoulder surgery).

I have decided to take the car to a 4 day heavy metal festival in VA 8 hours away. I have absolutely no qualms about doing so and I still have my CS so the G80 is not my only option.
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1510.00
      09-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #248
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM3C '22 JKUR '13

Great thread, as I was on the fence. The seats are gorgeous, but I am not the only one who will end up in the front seats of my car. I could probably live with it.
The juice is just not worth the squeeze.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 11:40 PM   #249
Panagis87
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I have been reading this thread and found it very helpful so I decided to register to the forum so I can share my experience as well and maybe help others decide (I still havent lol).

I am 1,82 (6 ft) and around 110kg (220), muscular build and wide shoulders. I tried the CF seat in my local dealership and found it amazing. It fit like a glove. Literally. Not too tight, not too hard not too anything. Just perfectly snug, as others have stated. Both at my legs and butt, as well as my back and upper body. However, since I am getting an M3 as my only car for daily drives, short and long trips (not really interested in track days since tracks are really scarce in my country), I was hesitant on how I would feel after a 3 hour drive, or after 2 hours stuck in traffic. I still am actually.

I was thinking of getting the regular seats because of this. I found a car at another dealership that had the regular seats and thought I should go try them. If they give me at least 70% of the feeling the CF seats gave me, I will go with the regulars. Once I got inside the car I was really dissapointed. I have started reading this thread a couple of days before I tried the regular seats and I thought the OP was exaggerating. Unfortunately, according to my experience, he wasnt. The regular seats felt terrible to me. Of course this is totally subjective. Its not a bad seat overall (obviously) but it just doesnt feel like it belongs in an M3/M4. None of the snug feeling, none of the mood that the CF seats gave to me. Just a seat. Maybe it sounds funny, but I cannot find another way to put it. Its just that. I didnt feel the support I wanted. I just sat on the seat not in the seat as another member said. Maybe its because of the lumbar support which I found a bit too much even at the most deflated setting, but I just could not feel connected to the car at all. The exact opposite to the CF seats.

I still am hesitant on what to choose because I am a bit scared of my enthusiasm since this is my first sports car (motorcycle enthusiast mainly), and the first bucket seat I have ever tried. But I am really sad the regular seats were so disappointing to me. I truly wish they werent. The choice would be a hell of a lot easier if the regular seats were a bit better (to me).

I believe you should definitely try both before ordering. The problem is that apart from getting in and out of the car (which I didnt find much of an issue to be honest), the question of how comfortable they will feel in a long trip will still remain. And thats what is killing me and I have not decided yet. Perfect fit for the 10 minutes I spent stationary in it, but no idea what happens to my back after 3 hours in it.

I would like to add 2 more parameters though since I do not remember anyone noticing them (excuse me if Im wrong)

As I said I didnt find getting in and out of the car an issue. However, it really becomes a big issue when you cannot fully open the door. In a tight parking space where the door opens only half way, it could really be an issue getting in (and especially getting out) of the car.

Another problem with the CF seats I noticed is that when you are sitting in the passenger seat, you do not know what to do with your hands
CF seats felt great while holding the steering wheel, but my girlfriend was telling me that she felt weird because the only position she found comfortable was crossing her arms in front on her chest. I laughed and thought she was exaggerating, and tried to sit on the passengers seat and found out she was right. Casually relaxing your left hand on the rest, or holding the door handle with righ hand, or whatever, just feels wrong. And that is kind of an issue too. Maybe a fake steering wheel bolted in front of the passengers seat could solve that problem

All in all, heart says CF seats, brain says regulars. But I still cannot decide.
Definitely try both of them before ordering since it is totally subjective. Stating our dimensions and all can be helpful but you should feel it for yourselves before deciding.

Sorry for the long post and I hope I might have helped a bit.
Appreciate 3
TheProdigy1028.50
JMU_BMW152.50
chicagofan0018923.00
      09-24-2021, 07:27 AM   #250
rmmiii
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 m3 competition

Garage List
Haven't done an 8 hour trip. Have done several 2-2.5 hour trips. In traffic. Which can suck. Different issue.

If you don't mind the getting in and out (more out), then I think you might be ok on the longer drive thing. Haven't been in a tight parking situation per se because I try to avoid parking near other people in my home garage it hasn't been an issue.

On the longer drive thing:
You notice the lack of a lumbar support. More so because that allows you to change how your back hits the seat than anything else. Not a big deal, but I notice.

The snugness hasn't been an issue. If you have the acc / self driving aids, no problem relaxing a bit and letting the car do the go and stop pedal and you mainly focus on steering.

I am taking mine to the track from time to time and it is for that reason, mainly, that I got them.

I hadn't thought of the passenger seat "hands" issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 10:02 AM   #251
darrelljs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i, 2022 G83

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmiii View Post
On the longer drive thing:
You notice the lack of a lumbar support. More so because that allows you to change how your back hits the seat than anything else. Not a big deal, but I notice.
As someone with a bulging disc, this is concerning. I had to add a small pillow to my 550i seats for long trips as a result.

Darrell
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:32 PM   #252
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AMG c63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by iM3an View Post
As someone who has spent time with the seats as well..... OP stated he is 5'10 165 (that is the perfect size for the seats). I've commented on this topic on multiple threads and it's annoying this keeps coming up. I am 6'2 195 (28yo)... I would never want these seats if I daily the car. Track/Sunday car is one thing. Last thing you need is to sway someone to get these and then they post on here how uncomfortable they are after living with it.
Thank you for the reply- do you feel the standard seats more than suffice for spirited driving?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:43 PM   #253
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
I am sorry, but as a guy who tried them both and drove both for over a day each, I can say that your statement is WAY OVEREXAGERATED.

This is like saying that all other seats or even previous M vehicles have no support whatsoever when that is sir -pure and simple- a lie.
All those people that own an M in here are pretty much satisfied with those seats. And I strongly believe that BMW seats are one of the best out there, especialy on lateral support. And I own and owned many vehicles.

Yeah, I get that the new CF seats are very “woo” for some and can be better in certain -rare- circumstances, yet, I personally I found them way less confortable and a pain to leave with them on a daily vehicle. And I used that new M for a day only.

Or my BMW’s -at least for me-, are all every day vehicles.
And by the way, some are not “grocery getters” as I forbid all kind of groceries in my toy for example.
I am a spririted driver all the time and anytime the circumstances permit and the M regular seats are the best blend for luxury, comfort, sportiveness and support. I even raced my vehicles and those seats where ultra enough.
So, yeah, forgive me for taking your comparo with a big grain of salt as that is just not true.

So for me the regular M seat is just the perfect blend for what the vehicle is : a daily sport luxury sedan and not a kidney breaking kart...

Thank you for this reply! I just ordered the m4comp xdrive and opted out of the bucket seats for daily use. Per this post and my confirmation, my standard seats will provide plenty of support on the canyons?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 12:39 AM   #254
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.ricci View Post
Thank you for the reply- do you feel the standard seats more than suffice for spirited driving?
Every M3C at BMW M-school I attended had the standard seats but with carbon ceramic brakes. I've never tried the carbon seats so I have no idea how much better they are on the track. But if the standard seats are good enough for daily abuse on the track at M school, they are probably good enough for the road. I doubt they are a necessity unless you track all the time. But they do add a specialness to the interior and some may really enjoy the lower seating position and extra bolstering.
Appreciate 1
pateke198.00
      10-26-2021, 05:31 PM   #255
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.ricci View Post
Thank you for this reply! I just ordered the m4comp xdrive and opted out of the bucket seats for daily use. Per this post and my confirmation, my standard seats will provide plenty of support on the canyons?
You should have no doubt that the will. BMW and Mercedes had some “car seats war” in the past and they both make some of the best seats in the auto industry.
The M seats offer an excellent leg support on long trips especially due to the front seat depth adjustment (which CF doesnt have) and the adjustable bolsters can be set for your perfect position.

Please note that M seats are a lot more customizable and on a long trip a regular M seat is actualy better in terms of comfort regardless of whatever they are saying. They have more cushion which helps a lot on bumpy roads.
Another positive is that on M seats you will get Active Seat Ventilation (and also massage if optioned) while the CF seats you will have no active ventilation but a so called “passive ventilation” which is just… nothing really…

You might also be happy to hear that due to the exagerated protuberance on the Carbon seats they will show wear and tear faster than a regular M seat and are harder to use on a daily driver.
Resale will also help as there are very few out there that will like the CF seats.
I strongly believe that a regular Mseat beats the CF one in every aspect if that car is your daily driver.

And in my opinion,they do look business, like a true luxury car.

So yeah,enjoy them.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 06:23 PM   #256
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I personally couldn't own a G8X without CF buckets much for the same reason I wouldn't buy a Porsche GT2/3/4 without them. If I would've had the option to get CF buckets in my Carrera S, I would have optioned them without a second thought; the GTS has the option. Preference for sure, but those seats are the business (…assuming an individual can fit in them).
Appreciate 3
TheProdigy1028.50
PLF693762.50
      10-26-2021, 08:14 PM   #257
bmedude
Woohoo I finally got a beamer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

I'm 5'8, 210lbs, power lifter build. I have the standard seats and think they're phenomenal. I haven't driven to the track nor do I plan on it, but for my highway runs, backroads and twisties, the seats have been amazing. I think they're a huge upgrade compared to my 14 way seats on a 991.2.
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2021, 08:25 PM   #258
HeelToeShift
Captain
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I personally couldn't own a G8X without CF buckets much for the same reason I wouldn't buy a Porsche GT2/3/4 without them. If I would've had the option to get CF buckets in my Carrera S, I would have optioned them without a second thought; the GTS has the option. Preference for sure, but those seats are the business (…assuming an individual can fit in them).
I have them and think the CF buckets make the car look and feel special. Yes, they're a bit more effort to get in/out, but I don't find it difficult. They are super comfortable though. The Porsche buckets feel a bit more sturdy, but these are just a tad more comfortable and dare I say just slightly better looking.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24821.50
      10-26-2021, 09:05 PM   #259
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I have them and think the CF buckets make the car look and feel special. Yes, they're a bit more effort to get in/out, but I don't find it difficult. They are super comfortable though. The Porsche buckets feel a bit more sturdy, but these are just a tad more comfortable and dare I say just slightly better looking.
I agree! The BMW CF buckets are gorgeous and more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 11:40 PM   #260
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
You should have no doubt that the will. BMW and Mercedes had some “car seats war” in the past and they both make some of the best seats in the auto industry.
The M seats offer an excellent leg support on long trips especially due to the front seat depth adjustment (which CF doesnt have) and the adjustable bolsters can be set for your perfect position.

Please note that M seats are a lot more customizable and on a long trip a regular M seat is actualy better in terms of comfort regardless of whatever they are saying. They have more cushion which helps a lot on bumpy roads.
Another positive is that on M seats you will get Active Seat Ventilation (and also massage if optioned) while the CF seats you will have no active ventilation but a so called “passive ventilation” which is just… nothing really…

You might also be happy to hear that due to the exagerated protuberance on the Carbon seats they will show wear and tear faster than a regular M seat and are harder to use on a daily driver.
Resale will also help as there are very few out there that will like the CF seats.
I strongly believe that a regular Mseat beats the CF one in every aspect if that car is your daily driver.

And in my opinion,they do look business, like a true luxury car.

So yeah,enjoy them.

Thank you brother!! Wonderful response.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 05:43 AM   #261
DBV
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G20 330d, Brabus Smart

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.75]
2018 Brabus Smart  [0.00]
2021 BMW 330d  [0.00]
For those that may be interested in a comparison, I recently spent the weekend with the carbon buckets on my G80 loaner. (My X5 is in the shop, so I took the opportunity to spend some time with the G80, as I'm most likely going back to an M3 next year and need to order soon).

Note: I'm 6'2" and 216lbs (swimmers build) with strong legs

Obviously I'm spoiled by the comfort seats in the X5, so I was extremely jarred at just how snug (yet extremely supportive) the carbon buckets were. Initially I thought it was just not being used to them, but over time I noticed the lower bolsters do push into my thighs more than I'd like. Now, I appreciate the need for „correct" posture in the carbon buckets, but forget slouching, or relaxing in them. If your intent is to attack every intersection like a late apex, and don't plan on cruising, the carbon buckets are perfect. They're simply just too tight for me. Akin to wearing an L when you're actually between L and XL. It's better to size up if possible. Another thing I noticed is that ingress and egress are significantly impaired for someone my size. I live in metropolitan Berlin, and while my garage allows the doors to be opened wide, most city parking does not. This makes elegant exit and reseating an absolute impossibility. I will begrudgingly be ordering the sport seats, and using the savings towards carbon backs for the sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 07:55 AM   #262
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

After owning an M340i for almost a year and switching to an M4 with buckets + doing a track day and driving 3.5 hours to the track and 3.5 hours back here is my take.

Firstly I am someone who rarely will choose an option for looks unless it's cheap, so keep in mind to me the carbon buckets are purely for function.

I also rode in my friends M4 with regular seats for 4 hours.

My verdict to this debate: there is no good answer, it really depends what you want/except from your BMW M experience.

- The buckets add an additional feel of what the car is doing and is a must for performance driving be it on or off track.

- The regular seats pull the car towards a very very hard to beat balance of luxury(comfort) /performance medium.

In one way or another you will end up doing a compromise, be it a harder ingress/egress or a lot less support when being subject to body motions/high G-forces
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
DBV768.00
      05-23-2022, 06:18 PM   #263
Thormic
Rep
Drives: F22 m240xi, G80 M3CX

Mind blowing that so few people mention that you can get ventilated seats when you’re choosing standard ones. That was a dealbreaker for me. Also if you have massive/muscular thighs, CF seats can feel uncomfortable after a while.
Appreciate 2
aldenleaf350.00
DBV768.00
      05-28-2022, 06:46 PM   #264
DBV
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G20 330d, Brabus Smart

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.75]
2018 Brabus Smart  [0.00]
2021 BMW 330d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
- The buckets add an additional feel of what the car is doing and is a must for performance driving be it on or off track.
Absolutely. Vastly more performance focused than the sport seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thormic View Post
Mind blowing that so few people mention that you can get ventilated seats when you’re choosing standard ones. That was a dealbreaker for me. Also if you have massive/muscular thighs, CF seats can feel uncomfortable after a while.
Same. I have ventilated seats in my X5 and love them. As for the CF buckets: I have a more athletic/muscular build and while up around my shoulders they juuuust about still work, the thigh bolsters are too hardcore for my thunder thighs.
Appreciate 0