Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

06-15-2021, 10:13 AM   #23
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCG80M3 View Post
Hey so I also have parts on order and it looks like they will have to replace my rack also.

(I am also What's Your Forte on YouTube..FYI)

I was not given a timeline but I am going to reach out to my dealership today.
4 weeks for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 05:40 PM   #24
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Driving my car today the steering has gotten considerably worse. If you venture away from the center of the lane towards the white or yellow lines it completely acts like lane assist is on now and it pushes you back towards the center but it doesn’t end there. The steering wheel feels like a gyro for another 3 to 5 seconds before it goes back to normal. So long as you stay in the center of your lane the steering is somewhat good. It’s gotten to the point of being dangerous now. What a freaking bummer. I don’t see how it can be anything other than a software issue but BMW is replacing the entire steering column. Can someone explain to me how its can be hardware after reading my description of what happens?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 07:37 AM   #25
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

So only What’s Your Forte, myself and the handful of other people he knows about are having the steering issue? Nobody else here? He and I kind of figured there would be a general recall on this.
Appreciate 1
NCG80M3663.50
      06-20-2021, 01:37 PM   #26
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
So only What's Your Forte, myself and the handful of other people he knows about are having the steering issue? Nobody else here? He and I kind of figured there would be a general recall on this.
Did you all have similar build weeks?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 02:23 PM   #27
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
Did you all have similar build weeks?
I don’t think so. He got his a couple weeks or a month before I got mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 05:43 PM   #28
GoFastGoFish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC , 2020 X5, 2021 JLU

Quote:
I don’t think so. He got his a couple weeks or a month before I got mine.
I traded mine in.. after BMW Corporate said there was no issue..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 06:12 PM   #29
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFastGoFish View Post
I traded mine in.. after BMW Corporate said there was no issue..
What??? You traded in a brand new car? What a catastrophic loss. They’re going to replace my entire steering column. That will have to fix it because that’s replacing everything. I think they know it’s a problem. When did they tell you that? What did you replace it with?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 09:59 AM   #30
NCG80M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Comp

Garage List
  [5.00]
2019 BMW M5 Competi ...  [9.65]
I have had a couple of people from the UK DM me on IG about the issue but that is it. I would say 5-10 total. That sucks GoFastGoFish that you had to trade the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 01:43 PM   #31
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have had a couple of people from the UK DM me on IG about the issue but that is it. I would say 5-10 total. That sucks GoFastGoFish that you had to trade the car.
I don’t know why he traded it just for that. They would’ve eventually taken care of it like they are yours and mine. I absolutely love this car. It’s bad ass. I do wish they would fly the steering column over here from Germany though. There’s no reason for them not to. I would think even in Germany by now they have stopped using the Covid excuse BS. Let me know when you get yours.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 06:09 PM   #32
NCG80M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
  [5.00]
So..... to update everyone.. went to he dealer to have them replace a tire I got a nail in (I have the tire protection) and they put the wrong tire on my car (non Star MPS 4s). I had to catch the error after I told them to double check it. New tire has been ordered. They also informed me that they are not ordering a new steering rack for me and they where advised to try something else. I was irate as I am tired of dealing with this issue. The SA told me things like this can take 3-6 months to fix. They also deemed my issue a non safety issue which is BS.

With that being said, does anyone know the best way to contact BMW NA Corp? I want to escalate this issue.

SMH
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #33
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

I could say I have it, it's only sometimes I've noticed though
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 09:47 PM   #34
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So..... to update everyone.. went to he dealer to have them replace a tire I got a nail in (I have the tire protection) and they put the wrong tire on my car (non Star MPS 4s). I had to catch the error after I told them to double check it. New tire has been ordered. They also informed me that they are not ordering a new steering rack for me and they where advised to try something else. I was irate as I am tired of dealing with this issue. The SA told me things like this can take 3-6 months to fix. They also deemed my issue a non safety issue which is BS.

With that being said, does anyone know the best way to contact BMW NA Corp? I want to escalate this issue.

SMH
What I’m confused. I thought they already ordered it. That’s BS
Appreciate 1
NCG80M3663.50
      10-25-2021, 09:40 PM   #35
portimaoblue_g80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
Paging NCG80M3....

He had a diagnosis from the dealership after his 1200 mile service and if I heard correctly some parts are on order.
OK. Thanks man. This whole thing is driving me crazy. There is definitely a lot of noises and sounds coming from this car I’m not used to from my other BMW or any other vehicle I’ve ever owned including several Mercedes. Of course this is my first full time M3 so maybe I have a lot to bet use to.
When you say "There is definitely a lot of noises and sounds coming from this car I'm not used", what exactly do you mean by that? I have been thinking the exact same thing about my car. Squeaky brakes, rattles, and more are what I'm noticing.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 03:31 PM   #36
NCG80M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
  [5.00]
To provide an update on this, Steering rack was replaced and issue has been fixed.

FYI
Appreciate 3
Patton2502938.00
yousefnjr6154.50
      10-28-2021, 03:33 PM   #37
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
To provide an update on this, Steering rack was replaced and issue has been fixed.

FYI
Nice. That’s good news. I never did get mine. I traded my car in and ordered the xdrive version.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #38
NCG80M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
  [5.00]
Quote:
Nice. That’s good news. I never did get mine. I traded my car in and ordered the xdrive version.
Oh wow. Hopefully the xdrive will not have the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 06:07 PM   #39
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Sorry to bump this thread but the same issues are annoying me.

I have 3. But 2 are associated with the steering.

1: When i back in my driveway, i have to turn the steering wheel to the left at full lock. Does our car have really bad turning radius? Because at 1 full of rotation to the left, the steering wheel feels like it's "stuck" as if you can't turn it anymore. Sometimes the steering wheel also sticks before i set off. I thought maybe it had to do with being cold out but even when coming home from a drive when the car is completely warmed up, it will do it sometimes. Like the electronic steering cuts power off for a second, then comes back on.

2: HOW DO YOU TURN OFF ALL THE DRIVING AIDS????? LOL

Seriously, i hate all of them. Lane keep, or whatever it is, i hate it. I thought i turned it off but it seems like it's still on. There's lots of construction in the route of where i drive so the road workers paint temporary white lines on some major roads. With faded white lines in the mix. the car can not figure out where the lines are and it's constantly pulling the steering wheel in each direction it thinks it needs to go. I tried turning everything off but i still have that lane keep assist interrupting my drive. Can someone tell me how to turn it off for good?

3: (NOT steering related but maybe someone can help me?)

It's cold out now, obviously so i don't know if it's a temp issue but how come when i first set off with the car, and i put it in D, as i try to creep forward the car will act like it senses an object and hit the brakes? It's really annoying and from the outside it will look like i can't drive a car. It gets better when car is fully warmed up but it still acts like that sometimes. This never happens in my friends ZF 8 speed in his hellcat. So i don't know if it's the tune programming in our ZF's or maybe there's a fault with my car.

I will address all these issues to the dealer when i bring it in for service but these are the only things that are really annoying me with this car. Otherwise the car is a beast and i love it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 07:00 PM   #40
JDR_G80
IG jerseydentrepair IG dravitgrey_g80c
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80c

The thing that bugs me about the steering is that it sounds like a Hyundai. You can hear that electronic sound when you spin the steering wheel at low speed. My E90 with 80k miles never made a sound

At least it works
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 07:08 PM   #41
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydents View Post
The thing that bugs me about the steering is that it sounds like a Hyundai. You can hear that electronic sound when you spin the steering wheel at low speed. My E90 with 80k miles never made a sound

At least it works
They will fix that. That’s not normal. I totally understand you being annoyed by it.
Appreciate 1
JDR_G80212.00
      02-13-2022, 01:08 PM   #42
TJR_///M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C 2021 X3M40i

I think it is timely to reopen the discussion about steering.
After two F80 M3’s my only disappointment with my G80 M3 is the steering.
Within a mile of driving it away from the dealership (in September 2021) I had already formed a less than complimentary opinion of the steering.
I had turned off all the assists that influenced steering to avoid ‘outside interference’ and was experiencing the following:
  1. It was hyper-sensitive around the straight ahead with the consequence that the car felt ‘fidgety’ and required constant minor, or I might even say micro corrections to keep it tracking straight (My F80’s tracked straight as an arrow from day 1).
  2. On exiting a corner it would not ‘self center’ - as I opened the steering on corner exit the steering would help return to center until the last 10 degrees of steering wheel angle but I would then have to wind out those last 10 degrees. With no assist from me, it would keep that last bit of lock on.
  3. Behavior 1 would be slightly better in Sport than Comfort (BTW - why no ‘Sport Plus’ setting???), but would have no effect on behavior 2

I now have around 7,500 miles on the car and the straight line behavior has improved, I suspect due to tire ‘bed-in’, but the behavior 2 is still evident.

As multiple reviews have said, the turn-in is very strong (I am tempted to say very aggressive but that might sound too provocative).

I was discussing my concerns with someone yesterday and he asked if I had checked the front toe setting. I haven’t (and don’t have the equipment to do so myself). I don’t know what the factory setting range is but he suggested a little more toe-in could help, albeit at the expense of a less strong turn-in.

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts or experience on this.
      02-16-2022, 01:20 AM   #43
RichardGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR1959 View Post
I think it is timely to reopen the discussion about steering.
After two F80 M3’s my only disappointment with my G80 M3 is the steering.
Within a mile of driving it away from the dealership (in September 2021) I had already formed a less than complimentary opinion of the steering.
I had turned off all the assists that influenced steering to avoid ‘outside interference’ and was experiencing the following:
  1. It was hyper-sensitive around the straight ahead with the consequence that the car felt ‘fidgety’ and required constant minor, or I might even say micro corrections to keep it tracking straight (My F80’s tracked straight as an arrow from day 1).
  2. On exiting a corner it would not ‘self center’ - as I opened the steering on corner exit the steering would help return to center until the last 10 degrees of steering wheel angle but I would then have to wind out those last 10 degrees. With no assist from me, it would keep that last bit of lock on.
  3. Behavior 1 would be slightly better in Sport than Comfort (BTW - why no ‘Sport Plus’ setting???), but would have no effect on behavior 2

I now have around 7,500 miles on the car and the straight line behavior has improved, I suspect due to tire ‘bed-in’, but the behavior 2 is still evident.

As multiple reviews have said, the turn-in is very strong (I am tempted to say very aggressive but that might sound too provocative).

I was discussing my concerns with someone yesterday and he asked if I had checked the front toe setting. I haven’t (and don’t have the equipment to do so myself). I don’t know what the factory setting range is but he suggested a little more toe-in could help, albeit at the expense of a less strong turn-in.

"It was hyper-sensitive around the straight ahead with the consequence that the car felt 'fidgety' and required constant minor, or I might even say micro corrections to keep it tracking straight (My F80's tracked straight as an arrow from day 1). "

You have EXACTLY summed up my feelings about the straight line behaviour of my G82, compared to my old F82 that I traded in about 6 weeks ago!

I thought my mind was playing games with me but your description is exactly the same as mine - the car doesn't track in a straight line without constantly having to correct and re-correct the the line - it's as if every tiny change in road surface and camber, causes the front wheels to track them. It's confused me because if anything, it should track truer than my F82 because of the staggered wheel setup, with smaller wheels on the front.

I've also been wondering if it's related to the front wheels being driven as I have the xDrive, so perhaps the front wheels are emphasising the tracking of camber changes etc.

Interesting to know yours has improved as the tyres have worn, I have Pirelli's on mine and have only done 1,600 miles, so hopefully it'll improve too as they wear!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 08:19 PM   #44
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR1959 View Post
think it is timely to reopen the discussion about steering.
After two F80 M3's my only disappointment with my G80 M3 is the steering.
I had turned off all the assists that influenced steering to avoid 'outside interference' and was experiencing the following:

It was hyper-sensitive around the straight ahead with the consequence that the car felt 'fidgety' and required constant minor, or I might even say micro corrections to keep it tracking straight (My F80's tracked straight as an arrow from day 1).
On exiting a corner it would not 'self center' - as I opened the steering on corner exit the steering would help return to center until the last 10 degrees of steering wheel angle but I would then have to wind out those last 10 degrees. With no assist from me, it would keep that last bit of lock on.
Behavior 1 would be slightly better in Sport than Comfort (BTW - why no 'Sport Plus' setting???), but would have no effect on behavior 2

I now have around 7,500 miles on the car and the straight line behavior has improved, I suspect due to tire 'bed-in', but the behavior 2 is still evident.

I was discussing my concerns with someone yesterday and he asked if I had checked the front toe setting. I haven't (and don't have the equipment to do so myself). I don't know what the factory setting range is but he suggested a little more toe-in could help, albeit at the expense of a less strong turn-in.

When I got my car, I had spacers and also installed ceramic brake pads. My friend who is a tech realigned my car and I noticed a improvement in steering. He adjusted the toe and I remember him saying BMW aligns M3 for drifting. Don't quote me on this, but I like the way it handles.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
Patton2502938.00