BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-21-2021, 07:50 PM   #1
718M2
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 OG, 718 GT4

Slight Steering Wheel Vibrations?

Hi

Just picked up my M4 a few days ago. I noticed the steering wheel has a slight tingling vibration especially on the hwy. All the driver safety aid an lane departure have been turned off. Before I bring it to the dealer to check, is what normal as part of steering feedback ?
Appreciate 1
M2Life1.50
      10-21-2021, 08:29 PM   #2
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 718M2 View Post
Hi

Just picked up my M4 a few days ago. I noticed the steering wheel has a slight tingling vibration especially on the hwy. All the driver safety aid an lane departure have been turned off. Before I bring it to the dealer to check, is what normal as part of steering feedback ?
Alignment. Warrantable until 1000 or 2000 miles. May be the latter but check your booklet.
      10-21-2021, 10:17 PM   #3
PK1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

I've noticed the exact same thing. Let me know what you find out.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 10:41 PM   #4
drzoom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46, E63, F15, G80

I'd confirm cold tire pressure. Temps are dropping so could be a factor. Wheel balance is another possible culprit.

Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 10:47 PM   #5
PK1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzoom View Post
I'd confirm cold tire pressure. Temps are dropping so could be a factor. Wheel balance is another possible culprit.

Keep us posted.
Tire pressure is correct, first thing I checked when I got the car home (and again when cold). It's also not a wheel unbalance, the frequency of vibration is too high for that - it's like driving on a ribbed surface. It's not constant though, and it changes with road surfaces so I had chalked it up to what the OP said: maybe they're trying too hard to get steering "feel" back!
Appreciate 2
natmad667.00
      10-21-2021, 10:59 PM   #6
Soylent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C

Lug nuts all torqued down properly?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 11:09 PM   #7
PK1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent View Post
Lug nuts all torqued down properly?
Thats the only item left on my list, as I doubt it'd be alignment causing this. I'll get the torque wrench and verify it's torqued down to 140Nm. I'll probably loosen them one by one and retorque them to spec.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 11:35 PM   #8
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

You could have poor tires or unbalanced wheels.
Also alignment could play a role.

I noticed a very very smooth grind on my X5 steering and supposedly it is a known issue but no one knows what's causing it. Everything checks out fine so could be the tire design and certain road conditions leading to the vibration on all X5s. It's hard to catch this vibration as it's very subtle.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 12:20 AM   #9
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post

I noticed a very very smooth grind on my X5 steering and supposedly it is a known issue but no one knows what's causing it. Everything checks out fine so could be the tire design and certain road conditions leading to the vibration on all X5s. It's hard to catch this vibration as it's very subtle.
I don't have this on my X5. It feels different to take a 90 degree turn with an xDrive as you can feel the front wheels scrubbing more, but that's about it.

My 4 series had a driving experience that I thought was just the nature of the car until I got an expert alignment and chassis shop to do an alignment 3 years later and I realized that the alignment was poor from the factory and the dealer doesn't do a good job either.
      10-22-2021, 12:52 AM   #10
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
I've noticed it also. However, I think this is part of the lane keep assist. No, I'm not talking about the crazy yank in the steering wheel when you change the lane without using your signal. I think it probably is a warning to let the driver know you are getting closer to the lines. I've noticed I don't have that vibration when the car is on the M mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 03:26 AM   #11
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post

I don't have this on my X5. It feels different to take a 90 degree turn with an xDrive as you can feel the front wheels scrubbing more, but that's about it.

My 4 series had a driving experience that I thought was just the nature of the car until I got an expert alignment and chassis shop to do an alignment 3 years later and I realized that the alignment was poor from the factory and the dealer doesn't do a good job either.
Maybe that's what it is then, scrubbing! If you search the forum you will find posts on X5 steering vibration.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 08:54 PM   #12
PK1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan4evr View Post
I've noticed it also. However, I think this is part of the lane keep assist. No, I'm not talking about the crazy yank in the steering wheel when you change the lane without using your signal. I think it probably is a warning to let the driver know you are getting closer to the lines. I've noticed I don't have that vibration when the car is on the M mode.
Interesting…

The very first time I experienced the wheel yank was minutes after I left the dealership. I pulled over the first opportunity I had and turned that "feature" off. I thought that was it, but I'll try M mode to see if it changes anything.

As an aside, I did check the lug nut torque on my wheels: they were all tight, but slightly below the recommended 103 lb-ft, maybe by 5-10 lb-ft. I torqued them all correctly not expecting any change, and there wasn't any.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #13
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
What's ambient temps are you seeing currently?

Don't we get summer cars from factory? Once summer tires get cold, i call them hockey pucks, because they become hard as a rock. They're also prone to flat spotting. Even if the car sits only a full day. It'll take a couple of miles while it builds heat, to even out.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 03:29 PM   #14
PK1
Private First Class
Rep

80s, I'm in Dallas.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 04:00 AM   #15
M_Adaptive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 2022 G82 M4 AWD

Quote:
Yes the steering wheel vibrates lightly to warn you during driving.
2022 G82 M4C Xdrive
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2021, 04:48 PM   #16
JDR_G80
IG jerseydentrepair IG dravitgrey_g80c
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80c

It's the lane keep assist. Even on the low setting the steering wheel will vibrate. First couple times it happened I thought the road was rough.

Next time you're on the highway drift in your lane and it should go off. If not then you have some other issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 05:02 PM   #17
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80, Raptor, STI and C8

Quote:

I would concur... Take all of the steering assistance stuff off and check it out. I have lane assistance off and it is still there on reduced intervention... I never feel it on the track, but all aids are off also..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 08:27 PM   #18
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl1by View Post
Quote:

I would concur... Take all of the steering assistance stuff off and check it out. I have lane assistance off and it is still there on reduced intervention... I never feel it on the track, but all aids are off also..
I think I have the same issue then on my X5.
Everything is off but there's still a smooth vibration on the steering at low speeds.

What else do you need to turn off?
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 08:49 PM   #19
718M2
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 OG, 718 GT4

Update: problem fixed with visit to dealership. 3 out of 4 wheels were off balance. They redid it and everything seems fine now
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 04:30 PM   #20
santox
Ing.
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp G82 xDrive

I received my car 2 weeks ago and this is the first week when i am driving it. I had horrible vibrations in seats and steering wheel . I went to a tyre service which has road force balance and they found 3 out of 4 tyres faulty . (Pirelli P Zero) . As you know the warranty in Europe for tyres is almost null , i've bought a set of Conti Sport Contact 7 . The vibrations from the seat , dissapeared but also i am noticing slight vibrations above 100mph . Anyone had simillar problems , with the tyres perfectly ballanced ? (Maximum road force is 40nm) .
      03-15-2022, 05:05 PM   #21
jlevy73
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by santox View Post
I received my car 2 weeks ago and this is the first week when i am driving it. I had horrible vibrations in seats and steering wheel . I went to a tyre service which has road force balance and they found 3 out of 4 tyres faulty . (Pirelli P Zero) . As you know the warranty in Europe for tyres is almost null , i've bought a set of Conti Sport Contact 7 . The vibrations from the seat , dissapeared but also i am noticing slight vibrations above 100mph . Anyone had simillar problems , with the tyres perfectly ballanced ? (Maximum road force is 40nm) .
Haven't done long stretches above 100mph but the few times I have there was no vibration. I'm on Michelin PS4S but not sure that makes much of difference
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 05:07 PM   #22
santox
Ing.
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp G82 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by santox View Post
Haven't done long stretches above 100mph but the few times I have there was no vibration. I'm on Michelin PS4S but not sure that makes much of difference
On my previous F90 had problems with the Ps4s and i wanted to try the new tyres