BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

10-01-2021, 08:34 PM   #1
StudioRSR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: AW G82 RSR "TD4"

///StudioRSR - Installing & Track Testing SPL Parts adjustable suspension - G8X M3/M4

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Studio RSR is glad to announce that the full lineup of SPL Parts adjustable suspension arms and linkages are now available for the G80 M3 and G82 M4 chassis.

For everyone, even those who've lowered their cars, the suspension geometries for roll center & pivot point are changed. The SPL Parts suspension components correct this change and provide the correct geometry and travel of your G8x suspension.

Checkout our install/test video and let us know if you have any questions!

www.studiorsr.com | email: info@studiorsr.com | call: 1-844-991-5582| Instagram: @studiorsr| StudioRSR G8x M3/M4 YouTube videos
For updates on your order, please email updates@studiorsr.com
Appreciate 4
babaikram511.50
spikes111287.50
fanatic11018.50
m3less130.00
      10-04-2021, 04:20 PM   #2
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Good to see the mods and upgrades for this platform coming through now!
Appreciate 3
      10-04-2021, 04:27 PM   #3
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Good to see the mods and upgrades for this platform coming through now!
Agreed!
Appreciate 3
JTO245246.50
StudioRSR158.50
      10-04-2021, 04:39 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

StudioRSR, slightly off topic: do you offer the same parts for F36 series?
Appreciate 1
StudioRSR158.50
      10-04-2021, 11:48 PM   #5
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Damn computers ruin everything

Realistically, would a normie like myself even feel the need to get something like this if I'm rolling a spring or HAS kit, or is this targeted for the track-folk?
StudioRSR158.50
JustChris17423.00
      10-05-2021, 12:33 AM   #6
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post

Realistically, would a normie like myself even feel the need to get something like this if I'm rolling a spring or HAS kit, or is this targeted for the track-folk?
Only needed if you really really really want to dial in your alignment to pin point specifications.

Otherwise a few proven items like front mono balls, end links and toe links and the like will get you there without the crazy time needed to dial everything in.

The full SPL kit essentially replaces every suspension arm front and back and it will cost you a pretty penny if you do all of them. I priced them out and it's around $3.8k for just parts.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 2
mattssi867.00
StudioRSR158.50
      10-05-2021, 04:34 PM   #7
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

Then there is setup time. I have the full SPL setup on my F80 and it takes some who really knows what they are doing to get it set up correctly. I still have some annoying bump steer in the rear and every shop in my area is slammed.
Appreciate 1
StudioRSR158.50
      10-07-2021, 01:00 PM   #8
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

I recently saw a video in which it mentioned an SPL front upper arm (thrust arm) snapping on track. Not sure of the full background, but would be interested to hear from anyone who has more details or experience with these arms.
Appreciate 1
StudioRSR158.50
      10-11-2021, 02:55 PM   #9
StudioRSR
Rep

Quote:

100%. In the least, even just with lowering springs or the HAS kit that you have, the pivot point of the tie-rods need to be corrected to prevent accentuated bumpsteer resulting from the lowered center. The tie-rod ends are the first thing we recommend when doing SPL upgrades piece-by-piece and we'd even venture to say the lowering springs/HAS kit WITH SPL Tie-Rods combination should be a requirement to be done together to maintain proper drivability that BMW engineered it with originally. The tie-rods are only $349 and can be done in less than an hour and adjusted the same time as a routine alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irunalot View Post
Then there is setup time. I have the full SPL setup on my F80 and it takes some who really knows what they are doing to get it set up correctly. I still have some annoying bump steer in the rear and every shop in my area is slammed.
The SPL parts make it easier to adjust settings. Install/Setup time is very much the same as any 4-way alignment.

It's the picking and choosing your own individual camber/caster/toe specs is what takes up the time and multiple track days to dial in. Hardcore guys change these settings for every track they go to, and sometimes every session to get every last tenth of a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
StudioRSR, slightly off topic: do you offer the same parts for F36 series?
We're checking if SPL has confirmed that they have parts for F36.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
I recently saw a video in which it mentioned an SPL front upper arm (thrust arm) snapping on track. Not sure of the full background, but would be interested to hear from anyone who has more details or experience with these arms.
If we're talking about the same video/person, we were there when it happened and it came down to a delaminated tire and hitting the wall at over 100mph. Hopefully it wasn't someone else..

www.studiorsr.com | email: info@studiorsr.com | call: 1-844-991-5582| Instagram: @studiorsr| StudioRSR G8x M3/M4 YouTube videos
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 03:07 PM   #10
corbs09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

I had the full SPL arm kit on my f80. Not sure I would do it again, it took multiple different shops to set it up correctly and it was loud on the rare occasion I street drove the car. It did grip the car up well though. Definitely a "track rat" upgrade and not as much for dual purpose.
Appreciate 2
mattburks749.00
StudioRSR158.50
      10-12-2021, 02:45 PM   #11
StudioRSR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbs09 View Post
I had the full SPL arm kit on my f80. Not sure I would do it again, it took multiple different shops to set it up correctly and it was loud on the rare occasion I street drove the car. It did grip the car up well though. Definitely a "track rat" upgrade and not as much for dual purpose.
Agree with you on the F80/F82 in that it's much "easier" to have noises from incorrect installs. Without trying to sound "sales-y" here...there's 0 knocking noises on our G80 right now. Surprised, but very happy that it's no different than stock. We got asked this question a few times, so we might make a video of it inside while driving.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 03:13 PM   #12
mattssi
Major
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

Does bump steer only occur at some limit of the factory tie rod ends? So, with these replacements, I could install them and do a standard alignment with no special consideration by the aligner (think big box stores) and that would put me in a good place in regards to eliminating the bump steer?

I wonder how many of the forum folks have noticed this behavior.
      10-12-2021, 05:57 PM   #13
StudioRSR
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Does bump steer only occur at some limit of the factory tie rod ends? So, with these replacements, I could install them and do a standard alignment with no special consideration by the aligner (think big box stores) and that would put me in a good place in regards to eliminating the bump steer?

I wonder how many of the forum folks have noticed this behavior.
Bumpsteer occurs in almost any suspension setup, even factory, but the amount of it is negligible (near zero) from factory design on most occasions.

With the SPL tie rods, doing an alignment is the same. The correction from the SPL tie rods come from the ability to lower the connection point with the spacers and arm design seen here:

When you lower our cars, or any car for that matter, with lowering springs or any other suspension modification, that ~1in change creates a much bigger change in the angle of the rod from the center line and creates a different arc shape of the tie rod when it's moving up and down. The altered arc shape of the tie-rod creates unwanted steering angle (steer) during movement up and down (bump)
Here's the simplest illustration we could find:

Appreciate 2
      10-12-2021, 07:53 PM   #14
mattssi
Major
Rep

Cool. I am considering these for sure.
      10-27-2021, 01:00 PM   #15
StudioRSR
Rep

Here's our new Fastest Lap at Buttonwillow CW13 as promised in the original SPL install video.
We'll be going for a lap in the 1:50 range at Global Time Attack Finals next month with No Aero!

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 01:30 PM   #16
flsupraguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Nice, keep us updated.
Appreciate 1
StudioRSR158.50
      12-19-2021, 11:53 PM   #17
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It took West End alignment 6+ hours to dial in full SPL arms and Chris@West End is the best in the business.

No noises or anything weird. Really transforms the car in a positive way. Steering feels heavier and much more responsive. Comfort feels like sport and steering feels more hydraulic / similar to my old E92. It feels like these arms really help the chassis respond faster compared to coilovers alone. The car certainly settles faster after some bumps and it gives you a ton more confidence in the corners and long sweepers.

If you are going to do this mod, make sure you take it to someone who has done these setups before as there are 18 arms to adjust in the complete kit (end links included).

Also be prepared to tow your car to the alignment shop because you do not want to be driving around with these things without an alignment.

Ideally, the same shop could install and align for you (e.g., Studio RSR / Robert @ Chewerks) if you are in SoCal.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 1
StudioRSR158.50
      12-20-2021, 12:13 AM   #18
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
It took West End alignment 6+ hours to dial in full SPL arms and Chris@West End is the best in the business.

No noises or anything weird. Really transforms the car in a positive way. Steering feels heavier and much more responsive. Comfort feels like sport and steering feels more hydraulic / similar to my old E92. It feels like these arms really help the chassis respond faster compared to coilovers alone. The car certainly settles faster after some bumps and it gives you a ton more confidence in the corners and long sweepers.

If you are going to do this mod, make sure you take it to someone who has done these setups before as there are 18 arms to adjust in the complete kit (end links included).

Also be prepared to tow your car to the alignment shop because you do not want to be driving around with these things without an alignment.

Ideally, the same shop could install and align for you (e.g., Studio RSR / Robert @ Chewerks) if you are in SoCal.
Chewerks, RTMotorworks and West End are the only shops that I trust for alignment. Did West End move to OC?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 12:26 AM   #19
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

Chewerks, RTMotorworks and West End are the only shops that I trust for alignment. Did West End move to OC?
Only temporarily. They're in Huntington Beach for now until they can find a new location.

Appreciate 1
mzcp2657.00
      02-16-2022, 11:21 PM   #20
mstinson15
Registered
Rep
Drives: searching......

A little revival, but can RSR elaborate on the coding issues? What specifically threw the codes and if we run a spring kit and rsr parts are we at risk of the issues you guys faced?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 12:45 AM   #21
breezyrc15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioRSR View Post
Sorry we missed this post. Anyhow, all the previous coding necessities we faced back in the day (~2yrs ago) are all figured out and all that's needed/should be done is a ride-height re-calibration. Even changing tire sizing has been found that a ride-height recal *should* be done, even though most don't do it.
Hey, from everything I've read, the best course of action when lowering the car with a height adjustable kit would be to get the bumpsteer tie rod ends and then perform a ride height re-calibration - is that correct? Is there a special device needed to perform the re-calibration or would any BMW dealership also be able to perform that?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0