BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums USA - Northwest

09-24-2021, 10:05 PM   #1
m5eattle
human
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

"Winter" tires for the PNW coast

Suggestions for the best tires to use on very wet roads, cold but not freezing? I doubt I'll be driving it much in freezing snow/ice conditions. But will be driving it plenty in Seattle, Portland, etc over the winter.

Many of the suggestions on the winter tire thread seem much more geared to snow. What about all seasons for winter?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
kjx
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 45e, '16 435i GC

All seasons are okay at everything and the best at nothing. Dedicated winters and summers are the way to go. I look for top rated tires on tire rack and revalidate that against professional reviews.

PS4S for summer. This is a little lesss obvious but Blizzaks for winter. M4 is not here yet so I will revisit then for the winter selection. The blizzaks cut through standing rain water like a hot knife through butter though. I usually briefly aquaplane on memorable problem spots of standing water with other tires.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2021, 11:42 AM   #3
S@v3f3rris
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 AWD (wk 27 build); S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by weefmower View Post
Suggestions for the best tires to use on very wet roads, cold but not freezing? I doubt I'll be driving it much in freezing snow/ice conditions. But will be driving it plenty in Seattle, Portland, etc over the winter.

Many of the suggestions on the winter tire thread seem much more geared to snow. What about all seasons for winter?
I haven't ever run these, but Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 seem to have a following for folks on here that switch to all seasons in the winter.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
m5eattle
human
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@v3f3rris View Post
I haven't ever run these, but Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 seem to have a following for folks on here that switch to all seasons in the winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
All seasons are okay at everything and the best at nothing. Dedicated winters and summers are the way to go. I look for top rated tires on tire rack and revalidate that against professional reviews.

PS4S for summer. This is a little lesss obvious but Blizzaks for winter. M4 is not here yet so I will revisit then for the winter selection. The blizzaks cut through standing rain water like a hot knife through butter though. I usually briefly aquaplane on memorable problem spots of standing water with other tires.
Super helpful thanks guys. I'm also considering the PA5*. The tread looks like it would do well in standing water and slick roads.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 05:00 PM   #5
bri1042
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Super helpful thanks guys. I'm also considering the PA5*. The tread looks like it would do well in standing water and slick roads.
I ran the PA4's on my M2C for two seasons, but not on the coast (in the PDX Metro). They were stellar in cold rain, and flat out weird when the temps inevitably rose for a day or two. I ran the DWS06's last "winter"...not that it was much of a "winter" and they were very good for our weird weather. I would consider them again on my M3 if I can come up with what the heck to do wheel-wise.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2021, 06:13 PM   #6
Transfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i, X3M Comp

If you do go full winter tire, make sure you get a "performance winter" tire. Michelin PA5, Pirelli Sottozero 3, etc. Winter tires geared towards snow are sloppy and squishy and handle poorly in typical driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 09:13 AM   #7
Roki
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Silverstone

Quote:

I live in Seattle and I'm going to try the Pilot Sport All Season 4 on my G80. It is my daily but I have a G05 (that will have winters) to drive when the roads get icy or the one week a year we get snow in the city. I just need a tire that works in cold/wet and cold/dry conditions. This video may be helpful.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 09:41 AM   #8
M0J0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Q7 JKUR

There are multiple threads on this topic.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 09:44 AM   #9
bri1042
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0J0 View Post
There are multiple threads on this topic.
Ok, but in support of the OP, a lot of those threads involve folk who think the weather in their area is the weather in our area. It's entirely reasonable to have a PNW-centric version of this thread as our weather is somewhat unique compared to the rest of the country.
Appreciate 4
Transfer4800.50
kjx197.00
      09-30-2021, 01:04 PM   #10
Bumpinjeep
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I have a dedicated set of Blizzaks for my wife's GTI. They are an awesome winter tire. However, just like with everything in life, there's drawbacks.
The Good: Amazing in snow/slush. Adding Blizzaks even on a FWD car totally transforms it in the winter. I dare say it, it feels like my Grand Cherokee did in the snow. I didn't test it up giant unplowed now banks like I did my Jeep, so there's that caveat. And it is a relatively inexpensive tire.
The Bad: I don't know if the sidewall is too stiff or too soft but it does (obviously) change the characteristics of the car. The car wont handle as well, will lean into corners more, and will have heavier steering.
It also is louder. When switching over back to her regular wheels and tires, the car becomes alive again.
The Ugly: I don't really see much of a drawback on winter tires or Blizzaks in general. I would keep a dedicated set of wheels and not swap out tires constantly.
      10-01-2021, 07:30 PM   #11
Dcinpnw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

G80: Just ordered some sottozero3 which are supposed to perform better in wet compared to blizzaks. Would rather have something that performs well in winter instead of just ok which is why I went winter instead of all season.
Appreciate 0