G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums USA - Northwest

09-24-2021, 10:05 PM   #1
m5eattle
human
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Garage List
"Winter" tires for the PNW coast

Suggestions for the best tires to use on very wet roads, cold but not freezing? I doubt I'll be driving it much in freezing snow/ice conditions. But will be driving it plenty in Seattle, Portland, etc over the winter.

Many of the suggestions on the winter tire thread seem much more geared to snow. What about all seasons for winter?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
All seasons are okay at everything and the best at nothing. Dedicated winters and summers are the way to go. I look for top rated tires on tire rack and revalidate that against professional reviews.

PS4S for summer. This is a little lesss obvious but Blizzaks for winter. M4 is not here yet so I will revisit then for the winter selection. The blizzaks cut through standing rain water like a hot knife through butter though. I usually briefly aquaplane on memorable problem spots of standing water with other tires.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2021, 11:42 AM   #3
S@v3f3rris
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by weefmower View Post
Suggestions for the best tires to use on very wet roads, cold but not freezing? I doubt I'll be driving it much in freezing snow/ice conditions. But will be driving it plenty in Seattle, Portland, etc over the winter.

Many of the suggestions on the winter tire thread seem much more geared to snow. What about all seasons for winter?
I haven't ever run these, but Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 seem to have a following for folks on here that switch to all seasons in the winter.
Appreciate 2
Llarry14500.00
      09-25-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
m5eattle
human
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S@v3f3rris View Post
I haven't ever run these, but Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 seem to have a following for folks on here that switch to all seasons in the winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
All seasons are okay at everything and the best at nothing. Dedicated winters and summers are the way to go. I look for top rated tires on tire rack and revalidate that against professional reviews.

PS4S for summer. This is a little lesss obvious but Blizzaks for winter. M4 is not here yet so I will revisit then for the winter selection. The blizzaks cut through standing rain water like a hot knife through butter though. I usually briefly aquaplane on memorable problem spots of standing water with other tires.
Super helpful thanks guys. I'm also considering the PA5*. The tread looks like it would do well in standing water and slick roads.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 05:00 PM   #5
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Super helpful thanks guys. I'm also considering the PA5*. The tread looks like it would do well in standing water and slick roads.
I ran the PA4's on my M2C for two seasons, but not on the coast (in the PDX Metro). They were stellar in cold rain, and flat out weird when the temps inevitably rose for a day or two. I ran the DWS06's last "winter"...not that it was much of a "winter" and they were very good for our weird weather. I would consider them again on my M3 if I can come up with what the heck to do wheel-wise.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2021, 06:13 PM   #6
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

If you do go full winter tire, make sure you get a "performance winter" tire. Michelin PA5, Pirelli Sottozero 3, etc. Winter tires geared towards snow are sloppy and squishy and handle poorly in typical driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 09:13 AM   #7
Roki
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Frozen Bluestone

Quote:

I live in Seattle and I'm going to try the Pilot Sport All Season 4 on my G80. It is my daily but I have a G05 (that will have winters) to drive when the roads get icy or the one week a year we get snow in the city. I just need a tire that works in cold/wet and cold/dry conditions. This video may be helpful.

Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13142.00
      09-27-2021, 09:41 AM   #8
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM3C '22 JKUR '13

There are multiple threads on this topic.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 09:44 AM   #9
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0J0 View Post
There are multiple threads on this topic.
Ok, but in support of the OP, a lot of those threads involve folk who think the weather in their area is the weather in our area. It's entirely reasonable to have a PNW-centric version of this thread as our weather is somewhat unique compared to the rest of the country.
Appreciate 5
Transfer5244.00
kjx3162.50
      09-30-2021, 01:04 PM   #10
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
I have a dedicated set of Blizzaks for my wife's GTI. They are an awesome winter tire. However, just like with everything in life, there's drawbacks.
The Good: Amazing in snow/slush. Adding Blizzaks even on a FWD car totally transforms it in the winter. I dare say it, it feels like my Grand Cherokee did in the snow. I didn't test it up giant unplowed now banks like I did my Jeep, so there's that caveat. And it is a relatively inexpensive tire.
The Bad: I don't know if the sidewall is too stiff or too soft but it does (obviously) change the characteristics of the car. The car wont handle as well, will lean into corners more, and will have heavier steering.
It also is louder. When switching over back to her regular wheels and tires, the car becomes alive again.
The Ugly: I don't really see much of a drawback on winter tires or Blizzaks in general. I would keep a dedicated set of wheels and not swap out tires constantly.
      10-01-2021, 07:30 PM   #11
Dcinpnw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

G80: Just ordered some sottozero3 which are supposed to perform better in wet compared to blizzaks. Would rather have something that performs well in winter instead of just ok which is why I went winter instead of all season.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 03:10 PM   #12
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Personally I use Michelin A/S 3+ as a winter tire.
      10-28-2021, 12:50 AM   #13
m5eattle
human
Rep

Garage List
I ended up buying the PA5* tire + wheel assembly. Thankfully can get them quickly, too.

Got impatient sitting in two dealerships order bank. (Still no M3CX allocation, btw…) When a new and nicely optioned M5C popped up on Portland BMW's showroom floor, I bought it right away. Came with PS4S* and it's getting too cold for that rubber.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 02:22 AM   #14
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M3C

I am running the new Michelin AS4 on the stock wheels. So far I am very impressed with the dry performance in the 55-60 we been having lately. Wet performance is amazing as well. I get plenty of grip in the wet and feel very confident. I won't be driving the in the snow so I will not have any input there but I can highly recommend these for the rain and temps we get here.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 08:47 AM   #15
jjhall78
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2020 BMW X1  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Great to hear…I'm having them put on my g82x today. Any noticeable difference in ride quality from the stock summers (I have PZeros)?
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 11:45 AM   #16
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhall78 View Post
Great to hear…I'm having them put on my g82x today. Any noticeable difference in ride quality from the stock summers (I have PZeros)?
I honestly can't as I am lowered so I feel the road a little more anyways.

I would imagine a little more stiffer due to the harder compound, but not a huge amount to where I can feel it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:46 AM   #17
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

And if anyone needs a good tire installer, I highly recommend Right Away Tire, they come to you for install anywhere. All you have to do is send them tires if you purchase online. They are very fast, take good care of your wheels, and no waiting for over an hour at places like Discount Tire, etc.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 08:37 PM   #18
Tremblay13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 xDrive

Have any of you found rims to go with the tires? Tire Rack only has one rim in their winter tire / rim combo but it shows March ‘22 availability.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 02:38 PM   #19
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

I gave up on an actual Wheel Set for this year. I almost pulled the trigger on the 829M's this morning but they are so bloody heavy that I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money on them. I also really don't want to own 3 sets of wheels for one car (uh, again...) and I'm not sold on using my 826 Black wheels as my main summer tire (don't want to argue wheels, but I don't like them much...).

So, I'm having PS4 AS's put on my 826's on Friday to cover the Portland Metro chilly rain days and hopefully there will be more wheel choices in the Spring to pick up something else for summer. If nothing else comes available, I'll get one of the more spanky BMW summer wheel options.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #20
Tremblay13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 xDrive

Yeah, I’ve decided I’m going to do the same and just swap tires. Hopefully some nicer options become available before the next winter. I am also in PDX.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 11:25 PM   #21
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Update to the Michelin AS4 tires with the crazy rain we had tonight. Drove from Federal Way to Bellevue tonight with a heavy downpour we haven't had in a while. Temperature was in the low 50's and happy to report that the car did really well in the rain(I have the RWD Comp).

If you have driven on the 405 north in the heavy rain, you know there are water channels in some stretches of the middle lane and huge puddles on the right lane. I went through all of them without any issues. No matter AWD, AS tires, you will hydroplane some but just don't ever brake in it and you will be fine. I have never felt any tire spin or felt like I would lose control and spin out. I am not sure how the PS4S or Pzero will handle in these lower temps...

I was in eco mode the whole time on the way back driving anywhere from 55-65mph. Just don't drive like an idiot and you will be fine in this car!
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13142.00
      11-04-2021, 07:34 AM   #22
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM_G808 View Post
Update to the Michelin AS4 tires with the crazy rain we had tonight. Drove from Federal Way to Bellevue tonight with a heavy downpour we haven't had in a while. Temperature was in the low 50's and happy to report that the car did really well in the rain(I have the RWD Comp).

If you have driven on the 405 north in the heavy rain, you know there are water channels in some stretches of the middle lane and huge puddles on the right lane. I went through all of them without any issues. No matter AWD, AS tires, you will hydroplane some but just don't ever brake in it and you will be fine. I have never felt any tire spin or felt like I would lose control and spin out. I am not sure how the PS4S or Pzero will handle in these lower temps...

I was in eco mode the whole time on the way back driving anywhere from 55-65mph. Just don't drive like an idiot and you will be fine in this car!
Thanks for the info. I've had a good number of runs in light and heavy rain in the last week and a half or so, and the P-Zero's are probably my least favorite cool-rain tire I've had in many years. They're not bad once you're up to speed but they're god awful at LOW speeds. It's weird. I stand by a post I made a bit ago...they are much worse with 5k miles on them (or almost 5k) than they were new. I think it's one of the "holes" in tire reviews...they don't re-review them once they're well broken in.

It's hard to be sure since I've also changed cars so frickin' often over the last 8 and a half years, but I am sure that once the P-Zero's are off my car, they aren't going back on unless I need to use them at lease turn-in (though at the moment, I'm planning on buying out the car at lease-end unless something changes).

I'll post my thoughts on the PS AS4's after the weekend.
Appreciate 0