m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by siwatkins View Post
I like the new grill - took me a while because of the change Makes all the older/smaller ones look dated in my view - I wasn't that attached to the old grill - I just hadn't thought about it that much.

The new one looks to me to be inspired by aviation - like a large jet turbine intake, the older designs are more animal in nature - like pig nostrils. It doesn't help that the BMW design started out as "kidney" grills - a body part. BMW have chosen to make it larger - we have plenty of choice out there - it's not like BMW have eliminated that, so I'm not sure what the drama is, other than the the new design language has rendered the old design language just that - old.
I agree - when I see prior generations now the grilles just look oddly kinda small.
Yeah great point. All of BMW history and it's legendary designs were a mistake. They should make way for this brilliant new "design language". Heads should roll at that company. People shouldn't encourage, reward, or validate them.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 01:23 AM   #156
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Yeah the dark colors of the G80 in those photos do a nice job of masking that front end travesty. Look, the design, weight, size and slushbox are a non-starter on this thing. The E90/2 and F80/2 were peak BMW. Accept reality. The F80 CS was short lived and isn't talked about enough. It was art from every angle. Size was right, weight was right and transmission was right. That's all gone now.

The market has spoken. DeMuro did a recent video on M3's. In it he talks about the fact the G80 is not commanding premiums in a market environment where pretty much everything else
Is. Enough said. I mentioned it earlier I'll say it again; I hope BMW's pandering to the Chinese market is working out for them, because the rest of us are mostly out.
Doug and his takes (rating the handling of supercars on hwy 101 lol) aside, the sales numbers don’t mean a whole lot to me. The Z4M was a sales bomb and is fantastic. I recall the E30 didn’t sell well either, and the E9x sold less than both the E36 and E46. All I mean to say is popularity isn’t always a measure of quality.

If you can’t get over the looks that’s fair. Worth taking it out for a drive if you haven’t, though. My own experience with it on track was so good that I placed my order immediately after. Praise from the press appears to be unanimous, and it’s objectively the fastest one yet. Maybe you’ll like it.
      12-23-2021, 02:13 AM   #157
Shinzzze
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg4 View Post
While I prefer the look of the OEM grille over the grille in the OP, I wouldn't mind THIS bumper one bit as an option (and NO I wouldn't rather an M8):
Yup this is the only render I've seen that looks like it fits with the rest of the car's design language - it looks even more in place than the OE bumper since the lower fascia isn't so awkward
TBH the G8x just needs a front lip… grill is not the problem
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      12-23-2021, 02:34 AM   #158
canigetaxm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

with all these grill haters you would think there would be a surplus of cars
Appreciate 2
      12-23-2021, 02:38 AM   #159
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
I just don't see the car as ugly when parked next to it's contemporaries.
Yeah the dark colors of the G80 in those photos do a nice job of masking that front end travesty. Look, the design, weight, size and slushbox are a non-starter on this thing. The E90/2 and F80/2 were peak BMW. Accept reality. The F80 CS was short lived and isn't talked about enough. It was art from every angle. Size was right, weight was right and transmission was right. That's all gone now.

The market has spoken. DeMuro did a recent video on M3's. In it he talks about the fact the G80 is not commanding premiums in a market environment where pretty much everything else
Is. Enough said. I mentioned it earlier I'll say it again; I hope BMW's pandering to the Chinese market is working out for them, because the rest of us are mostly out.
I owned an E92 for 10 years and found it to be a car that's more fun to drive. But the G80 blows the F out of the water in every regard but looks.

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...s-the-best-m3/

But it's all just opinion stuff, I'm not going to force anyone to like the car.

As for resale, how many have been on auction? A search on Doug's site shows one car. There are none in Bring a Trailer's history. Here's a search:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2021-BMW-M3-c30940

Only one below 90k has 15,000 miles on it. Here's another, with even the base model coming in at 86k

https://www.cars.com/shopping/bmw-m3-2021/

Considering it took 6 months to get mine, and basically impossible to get an allocation now, I'm not sure what Doug is referencing. With prices like these, it makes sense that no one is buying a used one, because they cost the same as a new one. And since the car is available new for the same price, why would you.

BMWs overall sales figures grew in 2021, despite the pandemic. I couldn't find specific sales numbers on the M3, but safe to say it'll surpass any M3 before it by the time the generation is complete.
Shinzzze195.50