BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-19-2023, 03:58 PM   #1
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Frozen Pure Grey- To PPF or not to PPF?

One of the biggest regrets on my M340i was not getting PPF done. The little nicks and chips are not appealing, and I want to avoid them at ALMOST all costs on the G80 coming my way in September. Has anybody done PPF on a Frozen Pure Grey Metallic? If so, did it take away from the brilliance of the paint? I really don't want to lose that, but I also want to keep the snout chip free. What is your experience with PPF on Frozen paint in general? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 04:06 PM   #2
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

I have frozen pure grey II and I originally had just the front and doors done. I could not tell the difference between a wrapped panel and a bare one using stek dyno matte. I went back to the shop and had the rest of the car done.

It's worth a piece of mind for me because I can't stand small scratches or chips.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1991857
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8969.00
      05-19-2023, 04:13 PM   #3
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

skyline408 Thanks for that, and great looking car! Your thread points to Stek as the way to go. After some time on the road, how has it held up?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 04:59 PM   #4
colo3Kid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline408 View Post
I have frozen pure grey II and I originally had just the front and doors done. I could not tell the difference between a wrapped panel and a bare one using stek dyno matte. I went back to the shop and had the rest of the car done.

It's worth a piece of mind for me because I can't stand small scratches or chips.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1991857
The PPF looks really good and doesn't detract from the original paint in the pic you posted earlier. Also if I might ask - where are the wheels from. I like them and wondered if you have closeups you can share?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 10:26 PM   #5
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo3Kid View Post
The PPF looks really good and doesn't detract from the original paint in the pic you posted earlier. Also if I might ask - where are the wheels from. I like them and wondered if you have closeups you can share?
Those wheels look like the OEM G80 18/19” that come standard on the 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 11:16 PM   #6
HiFi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

honestly, if you dont want scratches or marks in the frozen, get PPF on delivery -full car. Frozen is a nightmare and not really repairable if you get damage.
      05-20-2023, 12:06 AM   #7
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
skyline408 Thanks for that, and great looking car! Your thread points to Stek as the way to go. After some time on the road, how has it held up?
I had the PPF done when I had the car for a week, and I just turned 2900 miles. So far so good. The Stek PPF is really thick, I actually accidentally hit the hood with a metal water nozzle, and other than a small scuff on the PPF, the paint underneath was fully protected. I'm hoping some sun exposure will 'heal' it.

I did have a rock hit the front bumper, and rip the PPF, but since the front bumper PPF was a modular install, I went back to the shop that did my car, and they replaced that piece for me free of charge. The rock never hit the paint, just ripped the PPF.

One product I found that works fantastic on the STEK PPF was Dr. Beasley's Matte Paint Hero. Think of it as a super hydrophobic coating for the PPF or bare matte paint. I rarely hand wash the car. I just use high pressure water to spray and dry with a leaf blower. The car looks 95% clean just doing that. The water literally rolls right off and dirt doesn't stick as well after using Matte Paint Hero.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2012008

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo3Kid View Post
Yes, these are the 824M wheels 18/19. I love the way they drive. I swap between the 826M wheels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8969.00
      05-20-2023, 10:50 AM   #8
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=skyline408;30146652]I had the PPF done when I had the car for a week, and I just turned 2900 miles. So far so good. The Stek PPF is really thick, I actually accidentally hit the hood with a metal water nozzle, and other than a small scuff on the PPF, the paint underneath was fully protected. I'm hoping some sun exposure will 'heal' it.

I did have a rock hit the front bumper, and rip the PPF, but since the front bumper PPF was a modular install, I went back to the shop that did my car, and they replaced that piece for me free of charge. The rock never hit the paint, just ripped the PPF.

One product I found that works fantastic on the STEK PPF was Dr. Beasley's Matte Paint Hero. Think of it as a super hydrophobic coating for the PPF or bare matte paint. I rarely hand wash the car. I just use high pressure water to spray and dry with a leaf blower. The car looks 95% clean just doing that. The water literally rolls right off and dirt doesn't stick as well after using Matte Paint Hero.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2012008

That's good info, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 10:54 AM   #9
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline408 View Post
Yes, these are the 824M wheels 18/19. I love the way they drive. I swap between the 826M wheels.
I’m envious of how easy the 824’s are to clean compared to the 826. (At least it appears that way.)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 05:10 AM   #10
twistedmorphine
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition

Here's mine with front PPF including A pillar and fenders when comparing the fender with PPF to the door, you can't tell that there's something on the fender. Had mine done locally and the edges are wrapped under the body panels for a seamless look. Only place you can see the crease is on the A pillar but no one has ever really noticed or asked, and I forgot about it too.

Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8969.00
      05-21-2023, 09:04 AM   #11
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedmorphine View Post
Here's mine with front PPF including A pillar and fenders when comparing the fender with PPF to the door, you can't tell that there's something on the fender. Had mine done locally and the edges are wrapped under the body panels for a seamless look. Only place you can see the crease is on the A pillar but no one has ever really noticed or asked, and I forgot about it too.
I can't ask for more than a side by side comparison, thank you very much!
Appreciate 0