BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

02-02-2023, 11:28 AM   #23
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbluemn View Post
I definitely threw away that paper and I am sure I didn't see anything related to break-in service on that paper. But the SA just told me it was recorded in their system and he said if the SA can do a service when he thinks it is time to do it. I was like.... WHAT???
I tried to bring my car in before the 1200 miles and my dealer said no.

Check with the dealerships GM.

See if they will change the differential oil again at 1200 miles.

Tell them there is still metal shavings in there that needs to be removed.
Appreciate 1
V1L3430.50
      02-02-2023, 11:34 AM   #24
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
I definitely threw away that paper and I am sure I didn't see anything related to break-in service on that paper. But the SA just told me it was recorded in their system and he said if the SA can do a service when he thinks it is time to do it. I was like.... WHAT???
I’m sure you would’ve signed the document before taking possession of your vehicle. The mistake might not be entirely on the dealership and you might want to see if they will redo the service closer to the recommended miles by talking to the manager. After this, find a different dealership and also make sure you go through the document before signing anything.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3399.00
      02-02-2023, 11:37 AM   #25
astroricardo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx TR/Tartufo

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it, it's under warranty.

People like to have the service records, no matter how minor. You should start keeping them
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 11:38 AM   #26
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
I tried to bring my car in before the 1200 miles and my dealer said no.

Check with the dealerships GM.

See if they will change the differential oil again at 1200 miles.

Tell them there is still metal shavings in there that needs to be removed.
My F80 and my F92 I did right around 1000 miles, some dealerships will do it then. My G82 had 1200 from the trip home. Never had any issues.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3399.00
      02-02-2023, 11:50 AM   #27
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

The dealership would have kept records of the services that were performed even if you didn't. You need to ask them for the record from your 450mi visit to see what, exactly, was done. I'm going to guess that they did NOT do a break in service despite what your SA told you. No record, no service. They wouldn't have actually done the service and then not documented it.

So assuming no service, your car is still due. Take it to another dealership if you can so that you can have the service performed. That, or you can do it yourself if you're so inclined. And finally, you probably should start keeping your service records.

If you're on this forum, as you are, that's pretty strong evidence that you know more about your car than your SA does. Keep that in mind every time you deal with them.
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2619.00
      02-02-2023, 12:02 PM   #28
darkbluemn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
The dealership would have kept records of the services that were performed even if you didn't. You need to ask them for the record from your 450mi visit to see what, exactly, was done. I'm going to guess that they did NOT do a break in service despite what your SA told you. No record, no service. They wouldn't have actually done the service and then not documented it.

So assuming no service, your car is still due. Take it to another dealership if you can so that you can have the service performed. That, or you can do it yourself if you're so inclined. And finally, you probably should start keeping your service records.

If you're on this forum, as you are, that's pretty strong evidence that you know more about your car than your SA does. Keep that in mind every time you deal with them.
Just spoke the the SA who did this and he has record saying my car showed break-in service due @450miles in the system that was why the mechanic did the service and he said they did everything right. He said they perform services based on what system says and don’t need to inform customers.

He mentioned that I was driving a lot for 1 week and that was probably the reason why system thought I needed break-in service at that time. It calculated weekly average and thought I would exceed 1200miles by next visit. Which in my opinion is BS… either the system is broken or dealer fked up.

They also denied my request of re-do the break-in service.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3399.00
      02-02-2023, 12:06 PM   #29
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Just spoke the the SA who did this and he has record saying my car showed break-in service due @450miles in the system that was why the mechanic did the service and he said they did everything right. He said they perform services based on what system says and don’t need to inform customers.

He mentioned that I was driving a lot for 1 week and that was probably the reason why system thought I needed break-in service at that time. It calculated weekly average and thought I would exceed 1200miles by next visit. Which in my opinion is BS… either the system is broken or dealer fked up.

They also denied my request of re-do the break-in service.
Does he need to inform you, probably not. Would it kill him to pick up the phone and call you to say they'd be doing it, no. At this point, I'd just find a new SA. Not worth wasting any more thought on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 12:11 PM   #30
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

If they did the break in service, even if early, your car isn't going to blow up. That said, it is not hard for them to print out your service record/receipt and if I were you, I'd get that from them ASAP. And if they refuse to give you a copy, for whatever reason, that's even more indication that you need to be dealing with a different dealership.

If they didn't do the service, take it somewhere else to have it done.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 12:37 PM   #31
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Relax. The car's fine.
Appreciate 1
forcefed2567.00
      02-02-2023, 01:17 PM   #32
V1L3
Gibberish Factory
Rep
Drives: 23' IOMG M4CX

Garage List
You know, after I supercharged my Mustang and went to a Ford service department in southern Illinois for something mundane, they flagged my car in their database. A year later I busted the trans running at a half mile event in Dallas, and after I had it repaired I needed a nearby service department to do a relearn on some position sensor setting. The guys in Dallas almost didn't want to touch my car because of the flag.

I'm sure if Ford keeps those kinds of records, BMW dealerships would. Try checking with another (friendlier?) dealership to see what they say. With how they are treating you, I wouldn't even be sure that they did anything to your car at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 02:04 PM   #33
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

Ask for a record of work from dealer. They have it stored. It’ll clearly state the work done. Kinda surprised if they did do it at 450 miles. Even the techs would question why they’re doing a break-in service that early.

TIP - don’t throw your service records away. Keep them in the glove at least so you can refer back. That goes for any car and any service. Always keep tabs on work done. This way you can refer back or when it’s time to sell you know what was done and when…
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 02:09 PM   #34
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc4 View Post
relax. The car's fine.
omg the cars going to blow up!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 02:46 PM   #35
Ninetres
2023 Fire Orange M3 Jahre
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Fire Orange Jahre

They can do the break-in service 5 times before 500 miles. The fact will remain that the engine/differential will continue to "break-in" and develop metallic material that is deposited into the oil from miles 500-1200. That still needs to be removed at 1,200 miles.

No your car won't blow up or fall apart, but it's still a good idea to have an oil/diff fluid change at ~1200 miles regardless of who pays for it. I can tell you the dealer would likely much rather do a free oil/diff fluid swap, than receive poor reviews on Google, Facebook, Yelp, BMW USA, and all car dealer associated websites. While I normally don't go full Karen in situations such as this.....this dealer seems to be consistently misrepresenting facts to willfully mislead a customer.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3399.00
      02-02-2023, 02:51 PM   #36
darkbluemn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetres View Post
They can do the break-in service 5 times before 500 miles. The fact will remain that the engine/differential will continue to "break-in" and develop metallic material that is deposited into the oil from miles 500-1200. That still needs to be removed at 1,200 miles.

No your car won't blow up or fall apart, but it's still a good idea to have an oil/diff fluid change at ~1200 miles regardless of who pays for it. I can tell you the dealer would likely much rather do a free oil/diff fluid swap, than receive poor reviews on Google, Facebook, Yelp, BMW USA, and all car dealer associated websites. While I normally don't go full Karen in situations such as this.....this dealer seems to be consistently misrepresenting facts to willfully mislead a customer.
Thanks for your reply. I am here in the service and the manager agreed to do another free engine/diff oil change at whatever mileage I want. In written. Not ideal since it’s different break in oil but I think I am fine with it.
Appreciate 3
forcefed2567.00
Mark Kez2201.50
2011ninja3399.00
      02-02-2023, 05:26 PM   #37
Mark Kez
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Convertible

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I am here in the service and the manager agreed to do another free engine/diff oil change at whatever mileage I want. In written. Not ideal since it’s different break in oil but I think I am fine with it.
Glad it worked out.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 07:13 PM   #38
yocubed
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G83 M4

Garage List
2022 G83 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
That's probably better for you. If they did the service early then that older fluid would have had some metal shavings in it that no longer could mess up the diff. The fluid in it now might still have shavings but they should in theory be much less.
If they didn't change it then it'll be as if you're doing the normal breakin procedure

Appreciate 0