BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-02-2023, 12:36 PM   #89
Team Tonka
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 xDrive Comp.

How does it sound when letting off the throttle with just X-Pipe only? Is there a lot of "pops & bangs"?

I'd like some others to post sound videos of just the X-Pipe only installed with the rest of the exhaust system OEM....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Still unsure which Dinan G8x exhaust configuration is right for you and have queries you need answered?

Is the deeper axle back tone enough? Is there adequate extra volume, and/or an undesirable rasp introduced, with only the X-pipe? Is the full system just too much awesome to handle? Put on your headphones, sit back and prepare yourself for nearly three minutes of sensory magic to help you answer those questions and find your goldilocks setup.

Initial post updated to include the additional video as well.

Last edited by Team Tonka; 05-02-2023 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 10:49 AM   #90
gc.g80brg
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3C Individual

anybody knows if this will fit a single mid pipe, from downpipe ? Or I need to get a custom one.
2001 M3 Laguna seca 6 speed
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 11:15 AM   #91
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Tonka View Post
How does it sound when letting off the throttle with just X-Pipe only? Is there a lot of "pops & bangs"?

I'd like some others to post sound videos of just the X-Pipe only installed with the rest of the exhaust system OEM....
Pops and bangs would be the same as stock in terms of quantity as that is predominantly a function of tuning -- they would just be louder with the X-pipe with the lack of resonator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by individual.G80M3 View Post
anybody knows if this will fit a single mid pipe, from downpipe ? Or I need to get a custom one.
If the single mid pipe uses factory dimple cut points to the axle-back it would likely fit fine. The only confirmed single mid in this thread is a VT one however. By comparing install instructions between our axleback and whomevers mid it should be pretty clear if they will mate up seemlessly so I would suggest consulting those items first.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 02:09 PM   #92
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race_Doc11 View Post
I had the x-pipe installed few days ago. It transformed the sound of the car to what it should have been from the factory. No drone and easy to live with almost stock when the valves are closed and deeper tone with more pronounced bubbles when the valves are open. Very satisfied with the sound. The installation was done at the dealership.
Great to hear! This is what I am looking for. Probably going to pull the trigger on the x pipe.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 06:31 PM   #93
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Great to hear! This is what I am looking for. Probably going to pull the trigger on the x pipe.
It has been more than a month now. There is a slight drone when the valves are open but not enough to be noticed. I think it might be exaggerated by the active sound. I do get a lot of compliments when driving in heavy traffic about the sound. Even with the slight drone I would still do it again.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 06:50 PM   #94
JTO24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It has been more than a month now. There is a slight drone when the valves are open but not enough to be noticed. I think it might be exaggerated by the active sound. I do get a lot of compliments when driving in heavy traffic about the sound. Even with the slight drone I would still do it again.
Awesome! I have a VSC valve controller and even that introduced minor drone in certain areas of the rpm range but I agree I think it's mostly the active sound at play.

I also have a manual car so I'm curious if it'll sound any different since some say the comp and manual cars sound a bit different given the gearing and potentially tuning.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2023, 06:19 PM   #95
JTO24
United_States
Rep

Just ordered from X-PH so we'll see how it is in a bit!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 09:54 PM   #96
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Just ordered from X-PH so we'll see how it is in a bit!
I’m interested to hear your feed back. I’m still delighted with mine. I might even add the rear section in the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 01:29 PM   #97
JTO24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m interested to hear your feed back. I’m still delighted with mine. I might even add the rear section in the future.
I'm still waiting for it to ship... so far I just have an order confirmation. Hopefully it arrives in time for the Kies show.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 09:47 AM   #98
JTO24
United_States
Rep

Midpipe is on and I'm really happy with it! Definitely a noticeable increase in sound and the tone is improved over stock. I have a VSC valve controller and coded active sound off and even with the valves fully open stock was whisper quiet inside. With the midpipe, the volume sounds a little louder than stock with active sound but much more natural with more pronounced burbles. Between 2-3k it could be a little deeper sounding but from 4k to redline it sounds incredible! For $720 shipped I'm extremely pleased with it. The shop said the fitment was incredible, too.

I still need someone to drive it from the outside so I can hear it for myself but overall this definitely improved the experience from behind the wheel.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 4
      06-16-2023, 03:30 PM   #99
Jeg_e90m3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 x-Drive Comp

Garage List
Just got my axle back bolted on. Pairing with my catless project gamma Downpipes and project gamma single mid pipe. Will post sound clips after I pick up car.

Note: shop says one of the exhaust valves flutters, I think I read on this somewhere here previously. Is there a fix to this?
Appreciate 3
      06-21-2023, 09:02 AM   #100
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Midpipe is on and I'm really happy with it! Definitely a noticeable increase in sound and the tone is improved over stock. I have a VSC valve controller and coded active sound off and even with the valves fully open stock was whisper quiet inside. With the midpipe, the volume sounds a little louder than stock with active sound but much more natural with more pronounced burbles. Between 2-3k it could be a little deeper sounding but from 4k to redline it sounds incredible! For $720 shipped I'm extremely pleased with it. The shop said the fitment was incredible, too.

I still need someone to drive it from the outside so I can hear it for myself but overall this definitely improved the experience from behind the wheel.
I’m glad you like it. The stock resonators are chocking the car.

Last edited by Race_Doc11; 06-21-2023 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00
      06-21-2023, 09:11 AM   #101
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeg_e90m3 View Post
Just got my axle back bolted on. Pairing with my catless project gamma Downpipes and project gamma single mid pipe. Will post sound clips after I pick up car.

Note: shop says one of the exhaust valves flutters, I think I read on this somewhere here previously. Is there a fix to this?
Please do I’m interested to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 01:42 PM   #102
Team Tonka
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 xDrive Comp.

My findings as well....

Quote:

Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00
      06-23-2023, 06:52 AM   #103
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I've had the mid-pipe and exhaust on the car since last Monday, but due to personal circumstances this week and last weekend, I haven't got to drive it enough to really enjoy it yet. ASD is fully off, and I did not do a valve controller as I actually didn't want it to get too loud (possible error on my part).

My initial impressions are very positive for the sound outside the car. Inside the car, it's a bit quieter than I was expecting based on how loud it is outside. It's kinda neat to hear some burbles again, and that they aren't as aggressively burbly as my M2C was with an Akra exhaust.

I would like a little more volume in the car, but I'm not sure I'm willing to make it louder outside the car to get it. As summer progresses, I may do some experimental sound insulation removal and see where that gets me.
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00
      07-12-2023, 10:17 PM   #104
dplaras
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010e92M3,2023G80M3,2021X7

Dinan Back Exhaust & X-Pipe Fits with AA Downpipes?

Just bought Dinan Exhaust + Xpipe. Does this fit on AA donwpipes? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 03:17 PM   #105
dkim88
Slowpoke
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp XDrive

Recently had this exhaust (axle back + x-pipe) installed. Very deep and refined tone, x-pipe definitely opens up a lot of the extra sounds (burbles, pops) which I'm a fan of.

However, I've noticed a droning at around 2k RPMs. It's a really loud cabin reverberating sound. This is especially noticeable on the highway cruising around 75-80 mph. Anyone else notice this? Makes long trips almost unbearable. For daily, short trips, it's not that bad though so I'll live with it since it sounds amazing in all other RPM ranges.

For what it's worth, I've tried the Dahler valve controller (which I still have installed) and turned off ASD. Drone is still present. I submitted a ticket to Dinan but they basically told me no one's complained about it and it seems like they're not willing to assist any further.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 09:17 AM   #106
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkim88 View Post
Recently had this exhaust (axle back + x-pipe) installed. Very deep and refined tone, x-pipe definitely opens up a lot of the extra sounds (burbles, pops) which I'm a fan of.

However, I've noticed a droning at around 2k RPMs. It's a really loud cabin reverberating sound. This is especially noticeable on the highway cruising around 75-80 mph. Anyone else notice this? Makes long trips almost unbearable. For daily, short trips, it's not that bad though so I'll live with it since it sounds amazing in all other RPM ranges.

For what it's worth, I've tried the Dahler valve controller (which I still have installed) and turned off ASD. Drone is still present. I submitted a ticket to Dinan but they basically told me no one's complained about it and it seems like they're not willing to assist any further.
I can hear a slight drone at 2k RPMs, as well. I don't have a valve controller, so perhaps its not as loud for me as it is for you. Also, my car is a 6MT and I don't really sit at 2k RPM very often.

So, you're correct. There's a drone, but it hadn't even crossed my mind to file a complaint on it.
Appreciate 1
dkim8820.50
      07-17-2023, 11:13 AM   #107
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02 S2k, 04 Rx8, 22 M3P, 23 m3

Quote:

Drone is expected with the valves fully open, but the oem controller manipulates them in sport+ so theres minimal or no drone. I would expect there to be some with in after market in sport+.

Do you hear it in comfort mode as well? I'd expect dinan to match oem zero drone. Thats the review ive been waiting for. Make sure there arent any exhaust leaks; sounds like drone.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 08:26 AM   #108
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
I can hear a slight drone at 2k RPMs, as well. I don't have a valve controller, so perhaps its not as loud for me as it is for you. Also, my car is a 6MT and I don't really sit at 2k RPM very often.

So, you're correct. There's a drone, but it hadn't even crossed my mind to file a complaint on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACE M3 View Post
Drone is expected with the valves fully open, but the oem controller manipulates them in sport+ so theres minimal or no drone. I would expect there to be some with in after market in sport+.

Do you hear it in comfort mode as well? I'd expect dinan to match oem zero drone. Thats the review ive been waiting for. Make sure there arent any exhaust leaks; sounds like drone.
Drone tolerance (or just what people consider drone) varies dramatically from person to person or even from group to group. One of our engineers is so sensitive to drone he comments about it on nearly all the factory M cars as an example. Another would be on the import side, what I would consider drone is thought of as THE exhaust sound and basically desired. That's all to say mileage will vary for everyone's ear.

As far as Dinan exhausts in general go our goal is to have minimal to no drone in all modes/conditions for the axle-back system on its own. Tweaking internal can pipes to shift frequencies is commonplace but there is almost always some small window where a drone could be heard if you really want to find one -- would require some really specific circumstances that one would have to force the car into doing but possible. The goal is to ensure that RPM window is not where you live when cruising or some other common scenario though. Shifting it under or above those spots is a primary goal for the axle-back.

All of that largely goes out the window once the mid-pipe (DP would do the same) is introduced as you are removing a resonator, or multiple in some cases, whose primary job is to reduce specific frequency drone harmonics. Its a give and take scenario with the mid-pipes as the resonators involved there also serve the function of reducing overall sound in addition to targeting specific drone frequencies. Want sound? Remove resonators. Want to reduce drone? Keep resonators. Want both? A hybrid solution is lackluster at best -- especially for increased sound which is the primary purpose of the mid/x-pipe. At the end of the day, with a non-resonated mid incorporated in the setup you should be going into it expecting the possibility of drone. Depending on driving style or tolerance level it may not be an issue but for others it could be noticeable. During development we try to tweak things so any drone found isn't at an unbearable level at a cruising RPM (again personal tolerance will vary) but we accept that there will likely be some drone, somewhere, in the scenario. As long as the user is able to easily manually shift around the small window or go into a different mode (comfort) and drop the RPM range its considered a viable solution as again, the primary goal with the x-pipe is increased sound.

I can't stress enough though that drone tolerance is variable for everyone. What I personally find tame may be obnoxious to others and vice versa. My personal recommendation to anyone is if drone is a big concern for you to only do an axle-back system (of any brand). If that isn't enough and you want more just go into it knowing you may need to accept some concessions in that department.
Appreciate 1
bri10425940.00
      07-23-2023, 09:27 AM   #109
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

I've thought about the minor drone a bit while driving for the last week. I think it's just such a non-issue for me because of what ASD was doing before I killed it. The ASD was adding sound so often when it shouldn't have been that the auditory experience of the car is just so much more genuine and enjoyable than it used to be.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2023, 09:37 PM   #110
Jonathanjpalermo
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3 Xdrive

Finally got around to installing the Dinan X-pipe and Axle-back on my ‘23 G80 Xdrive.

My feedback after a few weeks of use:
- sound is aggressive but controlled
- amplified cracks and burbles in Sport+
- minimal drone IMO, and can be virtually silenced when closing valves
- add a valve controller if you want more volume on demand (which I may consider after some time)

If you want a super loud system, there are other options for that. I personally wanted something that added a tempered aggression to the stock sound, and Dinan delivered on that.
Sound clips on my IG @green_g80blin
Attached Images

Appreciate 3