07-28-2022, 09:19 AM   #67
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo_26 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with the r44? Has it thrown at all any CEL or had any issues with quality?

The price is so good but if it ends up being bad thats just a waste of money.
There are a few threads about the R44 downpipes.

As far as i know, they do not use GESI cats to prevent the check engine light

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 09:24 AM   #68
Nicklv_m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22' M3 Comp, 21' X3 M40i

Quote:
Has anyone had any experience with the r44? Has it thrown at all any CEL or had any issues with quality?

I only know they use no name 300 cell cats which is why they’re so much cheaper and the cats will inevitably fail and break down.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 02:25 PM   #69
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklv_m3 View Post
These are getting installed Wednesday.

ApexBuilt 300 Cell GESI Catted DP’s. Hand-made in house by them. Quality is really nice and top notch.
EPA approved, all that good stuff.
No CEL guarantee with GESI, plus no catless smell. (Not a fan)

Can’t wait to hear my car with these on.
Plus the extra power and TQ is always the big bonus.
When flash tuning becomes more easily available I will be ready to go straight stage 2 (BM3 is the goal) and take full advantage of everything.

Car already sounds amazing with current exhaust and intake setup - so these will take things to a new level of awesome.

Current setup:
Full AA Catback w/non-resonated midpipe
ER Crossover pipe
Armaspeed CF Intake
So whats the Verdict?
      07-28-2022, 02:40 PM   #70
Nicklv_m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
So whats the Verdict?
Perfect fitment and quality. Zero install issues.

Car sounds insanely good now, even better than it did.

With my VSC2 valve controller and valves fully open it’s definitely WAY louder revving it, and sounds amazing.

Cruising along or driving or even just full throttle the car sounds so good. Like really good. Drone is still very minimal which is great. These cars are super insulated and I love that.
I do have ASD turned off forever now and the car just sounds perfect.

Definitely louder on the outside than inside.

Car feels more responsive and pulls harder. Definitely more power and TQ even on stock tune.

The cars natural burbles and pops are heightened but still not obnoxious by any means. Way more sporty sounding and I love how it sounds.

Overall I’m a 10/10 for my exhaust setup with the intakes I run. I wouldn’t change a single thing.
Appreciate 1
BMWM4CX281.50
      07-28-2022, 02:42 PM   #71
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Quote:
So whats the Verdict?

With my VSC2 valve controller and valves fully open it’s definitely WAY louder revving it, and sounds amazing.

Cruising along or driving or even just full throttle the car sounds so good. Like really good. Drone is still very minimal which is great. These cars are super insulated and I love that.

Car feels more responsive and pulls harder. Definitely more power and TQ even on stock tune.

The cars natural burbles and pops are heightened but still not obnoxious by any means. Way more sporty sounding and I love how it sounds.

Overall I’m a 10/10 for my exhaust setup with the intakes I run. I wouldn’t change a single thing.
Interesting. Hows the cold start?
      07-28-2022, 03:58 PM   #72
Asmooth0101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus rx350

Quote:
Quote:

I only know they use no name 300 cell cats which is why they’re so much cheaper and the cats will inevitably fail and break down.
Can you just put a big daddy o2 sensor with a catted high flow and avoid the check engine light? For those that care about the environment, even a no name cat is better than no cat
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 04:04 PM   #73
BMWM4CX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4C

Quote:
Quote:
So whats the Verdict?

We need some vids!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 04:22 PM   #74
Nicklv_m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM4CX View Post
We need some vids!
I'm going to try and get a video done in the coming days to post on the G8x m3/4 FB page and my IG (IG is same name as my name on here)
Maybe tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmooth0101 View Post
Can you just put a big daddy o2 sensor with a catted high flow and avoid the check engine light? For those that care about the environment, even a no name cat is better than no cat
I mean yeah you could 100%, it would take away any risk of having to deal w/ CEL but you'd be essentially paying extra for pipes that may just turn into ''catless'' down the line lol. But I will say I prefer high flow cats due to reduced rasp/noise, and no smell any day.
I personally prefer high quality high flow cats like my GESI cats that are top tier quality/materials, EPA approved and guarantee no CEL. But w/ that comes more $$, which I'm okay with.
I'm all for quality >>>

Quote:
Valves as OEM/normal start up its perfectly fine. Louder for sure but not annoying or obnoxious at all.
Once I go sport+/valves fully opened w/ controller, its EXTREMELY loud lol but still bearable if you park your car inwards in the garage for example. I back my car into mine for ease of in/out and if I fully open all of it, my entire house shakes, lol.

But 100% w/ any downpipes etc, leave valves closed until it calms down if you're worried about it being early morning, late at night, etc.
If none of the above are a worry, fully open everything and let it roar!
Appreciate 2
BMWM4CX281.50
RideFAST123.00
      07-28-2022, 04:29 PM   #75
BMWM4CX
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
We need some vids!
I'm going to try and get a video done in the coming days to post on the G8x m3/4 FB page and my IG (IG is same name as my name on here)
Maybe tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmooth0101 View Post
I mean yeah you could 100%, it would take away any risk of having to deal w/ CEL but you'd be essentially paying extra for pipes that may just turn into ''catless'' down the line lol. But I will say I prefer high flow cats due to reduced rasp/noise, and no smell any day.
I personally prefer high quality high flow cats like my GESI cats that are top tier quality/materials, EPA approved and guarantee no CEL. But w/ that comes more $$, which I'm okay with.
I'm all for quality >>>

Quote:
Valves as OEM/normal start up its perfectly fine. Louder for sure but not annoying or obnoxious at all.
Once I go sport+/valves fully opened w/ controller, its EXTREMELY loud lol but still bearable if you park your car inwards in the garage for example. I back my car into mine for ease of in/out and if I fully open all of it, my entire house shakes, lol.

But 100% w/ any downpipes etc, leave valves closed until it calms down if you're worried about it being early morning, late at night, etc.
If none of the above are a worry, fully open everything and let it roar!
Glad you're happy with the setup man! Chucked you a follow on insta so I'll look out for the video!
I'm planning on Stage 2 with some high flow catted DPs, so it's nice to know these are an option. Cheers for sharing your verdict
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 04:36 PM   #76
BMWM4CX
First Lieutenant
Rep

Anybody know the cell count of the factory downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 04:45 PM   #77
Nicklv_m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Anybody know the cell count of the factory downpipes?
Most OEM are 600-800. I looked at mine after they came off and based on the ceramic cell look, its at minimum 600.
Appreciate 2
BMWM4CX281.50
RideFAST123.00
      07-30-2022, 12:43 PM   #78
Alps40
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e, BMW M2

I’m also considering 200 or 300 cell catted Downpipes as my only mod mostly for sound and improved throttle response.
Are Akrapovic 200 cell Downpipes compatible with the stock exhaust?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 01:35 PM   #79
Nicklv_m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alps40 View Post
I’m also considering 200 or 300 cell catted Downpipes as my only mod mostly for sound and improved throttle response.
Are Akrapovic 200 cell Downpipes compatible with the stock exhaust?
Thanks!
If you’re going to spend that much, get the same DP’s as me. ApexBuilt 300 Cell GESI Catted Downpipes. No CEL guarantee w/ GESI cats.
Top notch quality and perfect fitment. And $2500 normal cost.
I got mine for $400 off at ECS.

No need to spend $3500-$3800 on DP’s.
Appreciate 1
BMWM4CX281.50
      07-30-2022, 02:05 PM   #80
Alps40
Private
Rep

Quote:
If you’re going to spend that much, get the same DP’s as me. ApexBuilt 300 Cell GESI Catted Downpipes. No CEL guarantee w/ GESI cats.
Top notch quality and perfect fitment. And $2500 normal cost.
I got mine for $400 off at ECS.

No need to spend $3500-$3800 on DP’s.
Thanks. As I’m in Europe I tend to like Akra products but ApexBuilt seem to have a great product too. Do you experience any drone? Do you feel an improvement of throttle response in all modes? Are you totally happy with the sound now? I plan to keep the valves function oem.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 02:13 PM   #81
Nicklv_m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. As I’m in Europe I tend to like Akra products but ApexBuilt seem to have a great product too. Do you experience any drone? Do you feel an improvement of throttle response in all modes? Are you totally happy with the sound now? I plan to keep the valves function oem.
With my entire full exhaust I have very minimal drone. These cars are very well insulated so that helps big time.
Definitely more throttle response, power and TQ even on stock tune (for now)
Now granted I do have a full turbo back exhaust and Armaspeed intake so all that makes a big change. Plus I got XHP stage 3 Trans tune which helps a ton also in feel and shifts.

Very happy with my whole setup, wouldn’t change a thing.
I also have valve controller to fully open them too.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 02:55 PM   #82
Alps40
Private
Rep

Quote:
With my entire full exhaust I have very minimal drone. These cars are very well insulated so that helps big time.
Definitely more throttle response, power and TQ even on stock tune (for now)
Now granted I do have a full turbo back exhaust and Armaspeed intake so all that makes a big change. Plus I got XHP stage 3 Trans tune which helps a ton also in feel and shifts.

Very happy with my whole setup, wouldn’t change a thing.
I also have valve controller to fully open them too.
I like your set up very much!! Thanks for the insights
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 03:31 PM   #83
Nicklv_m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I like your set up very much!! Thanks for the insights
Posted a video on my IG. IG+phone makes quality not the best but you can check it out.
@Nicklv_m3
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 05:50 AM   #84
Alps40
Private
Rep

Quote:
Posted a video on my IG. IG+phone makes quality not the best but you can check it out.
@Nicklv_m3
Well done! From my experience videos are never a good representation for sound no matter what you do.
How long did the downpipes install take?
If you had to make a choice between the intake and the Downpipes which one would you prioritize?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 09:56 AM   #85
MaybeanM5
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Master View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSteve View Post
I ordered a set of catted (300 Cell) downpipes from R44 this week. I know they put something in their catless downpipes so that they don't throw a CEL, so I just kind of assumed the catted downpipes would be ok. Anyone heard differently?
R44 for 1300$ is the cheapest option for a 300 cell catted DP with no CEL. When you sell your car you can remove and install factory DP And get half your money back.

I am Planning to see how I like my car exhaust when I get it in few weeks. But I am planning a staged approach

Exhaust m/performance upgrade one.
1300$ R44 Catted DP with JB4 1000$ and high Flow intake for burger motor sport 200$.
You should get + 100-150 HP/Tq from that. Amazing value for 2500$. Legit 10 second car

Exhaust upgrade two :
CG PRECISION VSC-2 - VARIABLE SOUND CONTROLLER 200$ ( no cutting or welding and on and off reversing with the remote) 10 min install.

Exhaust upgrade three:
Secondary resonators delete with straight pipe at local muffler shop 200-300$
That sounds crazy … + 100 hp from
This simple mods .. yes please ?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 11:36 AM   #86
Nicklv_m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well done! From my experience videos are never a good representation for sound no matter what you do.
How long did the downpipes install take?
If you had to make a choice between the intake and the Downpipes which one would you prioritize?
I’d do a proper intake first personally. I think it would be easiest to do and give benefits as well.
S58 responds very well to mods, which is nice.

And my friend who works on BMW’s did it. Took him an hour, maybe tad longer. With no lift. But granted he knows what he’s doing, lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 03:08 AM   #87
AKSteve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition Convertible

So I finally got around to having my parts installed. I had a MST cold air intake, a set of R44 high-flow catted downpipes and a JB4 piggyback tune installed all at the same time. I drove around all afternoon today with the car set to Map 1 and all I can say is.... WOW!

I believe I'll just leave the car in M2 mode pretty much all of the time now (Sport+; Sport+; Sport; Sport; DSC Off; 4WDSport). The intake and exhaust sounds are amazing and the burbles when downshifting sound great. And the performance is just phenomenal. Really, it's supercar level performance. I would put it on par with a 991 Turbo S. I currently have a 992 C4S and it definitely feels a lot quicker.

Having said all that......Even though I haven't gotten an CEL light from the R44 catted pipes, I did get this message when I checked the JB4 app for codes:

180101 catless downpipe detected bank2
180001 catless downpipe detected
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 07:05 AM   #88
Asmooth0101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus rx350

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSteve View Post
So I finally got around to having my parts installed. I had a MST cold air intake, a set of R44 high-flow catted downpipes and a JB4 piggyback tune installed all at the same time. I drove around all afternoon today with the car set to Map 1 and all I can say is.... WOW!

I believe I'll just leave the car in M2 mode pretty much all of the time now (Sport+; Sport+; Sport; Sport; DSC Off; 4WDSport). The intake and exhaust sounds are amazing and the burbles when downshifting sound great. And the performance is just phenomenal. Really, it's supercar level performance. I would put it on par with a 991 Turbo S. I currently have a 992 C4S and it definitely feels a lot quicker.

Having said all that......Even though I haven't gotten an CEL light from the R44 catted pipes, I did get this message when I checked the JB4 app for codes:

180101 catless downpipe detected bank2
180001 catless downpipe detected
That's interesting that the light didn't get thrown but the jb4 picked it up. I wonder if the high flow nature is causing the jb4 to pick up but the emissions is fine
Appreciate 0