BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-26-2021, 10:49 AM   #67
335xs2dinan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi, 22 G80 M3

Not sure it's in dealerships best interest to try and deny warranty repairs. BMW NA pays them to do the warranty repairs/recalls/etc. Seems like we go through this cycle of drama from owners worried about warranties with every engine thats been produced. I'm confident that I have heard more stories about dealers doing the work on tuned cars rather than denying/tattling/etc.
      06-26-2021, 11:10 AM   #68
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM_G808 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Very good stuff..

Now we just have to find out if bmw can relock the ecu over the air/ change the encryption
That was the case with Audi and the Bosch Mg1 when I had the S5. Go into the dealer, if there was an update required, it would override the tune.
Couldn't you then just flash it back in the parking lot after service?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 11:52 AM   #69
bmwmastertech
Rep
Drives: All Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xs2dinan View Post
Not sure it's in dealerships best interest to try and deny warranty repairs. BMW NA pays them to do the warranty repairs/recalls/etc. Seems like we go through this cycle of drama from owners worried about warranties with every engine thats been produced. I'm confident that I have heard more stories about dealers doing the work on tuned cars rather than denying/tattling/etc.
We have taken this out of the dealers control. Your vehicle will be automatically identified as tuned if it is in fact tampered with. Just remember if you modify your vehicle outside of the factory specifications and your engine blows up don’t expect it to be covered. The old saying of “you pay to play” is very true.
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3611.50
      06-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #70
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xs2dinan View Post
It's one thing to do warranty repairs on something like brakes, struts, springs, and other relatively minor things where BMW is likely not to investigate/get involved. It's a whole different thing when engines, transmissions and safety related functions are the subject.

This has been discussed various times - the dealership does not decide whether or not any warranty work is to be performed. All warranty work needs to be authorized by BMW before the dealership can do anything. While the dealership won't have an issue doing something like engine work (they only thing they lose out on is potential shop time), BMW isn't going to give out an engine through warranty without going through all the data.
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41909.50
Ibiza3611.50
      06-26-2021, 12:16 PM   #71
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmastertech View Post
We have taken this out of the dealers control. Your vehicle will be automatically identified as tuned if it is in fact tampered with. Just remember if you modify your vehicle outside of the factory specifications and your engine blows up don’t expect it to be covered. The old saying of “you pay to play” is very true.
People still seem to have trouble understanding this, and it isn't such new news either

If you tune/piggyback, you are screwed if you blow the engine. That is the end of the story. It doesn't matter if you're sleeping with your SA, your engine won't be covered.

I look forward to BMW adding language to the lease that if you void the warranty you have to buy the car out. It is a clear breach of contract. Too many clowns running around with full attack E85 tunes and leased cars.
Appreciate 17
RugbyBro7601.50
BMWZ41909.50
mattburks750.50
imOFP210.50
F32Fleet3571.50
xlover2191.00
evilalien450.50
Ibiza3611.50
Seedster2279.00
irunalot1518.00
Der_Wolf888.00
      06-26-2021, 12:24 PM   #72
spadae22
Rep
Drives: 2013 BWM 550XI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Wolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadae22 View Post
Just note, my friend is a SA at BMW. They are actively scanning for ECU and piggy back tunes, so if you do it buy a spare ECU, or remove piggyback tune. Drive for 30 minutes. I also reset all codes before service.
I've never heard of someone having an extra ECU for tunes and it actually seems like a great idea. This seems like the best move. Not sure what an ECU costs but I know it's less than an engine
I have been tuning 911 Turbos since 2001, always had the original ECU copied to spare, the tune the spare. I have a 22 on order and plan on doing the same.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      06-26-2021, 12:42 PM   #73
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Wolf View Post
Quote:
Just note, my friend is a SA at BMW. They are actively scanning for ECU and piggy back tunes, so if you do it buy a spare ECU, or remove piggyback tune. Drive for 30 minutes. I also reset all codes before service.
I've never heard of someone having an extra ECU for tunes and it actually seems like a great idea. This seems like the best move. Not sure what an ECU costs but I know it's less than an engine
I have been tuning 911 Turbos since 2001, always had the original ECU copied to spare, the tune the spare. I have a 22 on order and plan on doing the same.
Why doesn't everyone do this? The other guy said it won't stop the logging in other components though like the transmission. Is that accurate?

///M
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 12:44 PM   #74
paulo_f80m3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01' E46 325i / 16' F80 M3

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
People still seem to have trouble understanding this, and it isn't such new news either

If you tune/piggyback, you are screwed if you blow the engine. That is the end of the story. It doesn't matter if you're sleeping with your SA, your engine won't be covered.

I look forward to BMW adding language to the lease that if you void the warranty you have to buy the car out. It is a clear breach of contract. Too many clowns running around with full attack E85 tunes and leased cars.
This. Well said.
      06-26-2021, 12:59 PM   #75
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

I wish I could appreciate this twice
SYT_Shadow11490.00
BMWZ41909.50
irunalot1518.00
      06-26-2021, 01:10 PM   #76
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

I mentioned before, there is no proof of concept. Changing numbers on a display shows you can change numbers on a display, nothing more. If Mission is so paranoid about inevitable copiers--assuming it really works, why are they in the business? If someone else "cracks the code" and offers the tune publicly, they are just another option--not the leader. If they do have a product, why sit on it? It seems there are many here who would jump at the chance to buy it now, but would probably go with a competitor who offers it first. Not knocking Mission, and it they do have it, good for them for being first. But they certainly aren't acting like they understand business principles. If you have a product which you can bring first to market and don't, why did you bother to create it in the first place?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 02:42 PM   #77
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdition_F87 View Post
What about 06/2020+ S55
Contact support@protuningfreaks.com and see if they can do it.
      06-26-2021, 02:56 PM   #78
Baylorguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On Order: 2022 X3M, ZCP, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
The problem isn't with you or a lot of folks on this forum. It's the people who want to buy a brand new G8X, run a max effort e85 tune yet don't know how to read a data log lol
You got it! The company I used for my RS3 had different levels of stage 2 E60-E85 tunes and one of them in all caps flat out said "run at your own risk." It was essentially a hero run 1/4 mile file and there was someone running it for daily use. Surprisingly, their engine went boom and they were blaming the tuner. I was thinking... dude, you assumed elevated risk!

I tend to try and let tuners figure out the safe range of torque on the stock block before tuning, but honestly I am new to the bimmer tuning world. Still doing my research but am heavily leaning towards one.
Appreciate 1
hellokitty2895.50
      06-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #79
Baylorguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On Order: 2022 X3M, ZCP, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
It's one thing to do warranty repairs on something like brakes, struts, springs, and other relatively minor things where BMW is likely not to investigate/get involved. It's a whole different thing when engines, transmissions and safety related functions are the subject.

This has been discussed various times - the dealership does not decide whether or not any warranty work is to be performed. All warranty work needs to be authorized by BMW before the dealership can do anything. While the dealership won't have an issue doing something like engine work (they only thing they lose out on is potential shop time), BMW isn't going to give out an engine through warranty without going through all the data.
Bingo for bingo balls!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 04:15 PM   #80
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post
You got it! The company I used for my RS3 had different levels of stage 2 E60-E85 tunes and one of them in all caps flat out said "run at your own risk." It was essentially a hero run 1/4 mile file and there was someone running it for daily use. Surprisingly, their engine went boom and they were blaming the tuner. I was thinking... dude, you assumed elevated risk!

I tend to try and let tuners figure out the safe range of torque on the stock block before tuning, but honestly I am new to the bimmer tuning world. Still doing my research but am heavily leaning towards one.
The 'safe range' of torque is what BMW capped the CS and GTS off at. Maybe a bit more.

All these tunes that create massive torque humps in the midrange are stressing the engine and also make the car undriveable.

If I were to tune, i'd use a low torque solution. Even/especially with larger turbos. I'd use the extra top end for extra performance and leave the midrange alone.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2021, 04:34 PM   #81
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylorguy View Post

The 'safe range' of torque is what BMW capped the CS and GTS off at. Maybe a bit more.

All these tunes that create massive torque humps in the midrange are stressing the engine and also make the car undriveable.

If I were to tune, i'd use a low torque solution. Even/especially with larger turbos. I'd use the extra top end for extra performance and leave the midrange alone.
I'm pushing around 530 whp and 530 wtq and I feel it's pretty darn close to being perfect. Just enough power to overtake those pesky mustang gt's lol
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 2
russell21147.00
Ibiza3611.50
      06-26-2021, 04:37 PM   #82
filostrato
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDave View Post
I’m in the somewhat skeptical camp here. It took years for the Bosch ECU’s on the Audi B9 platform to be cracked and while reading up on that topic it seems like there are a handful of folks out there with the tools and skill set to work on cracking the encryption who then farm it out to all of the tuners. That’s why we usually see several tunes out within months of each other once the ECUs are cracked. Maybe Mission is one of that select group, or maybe it’s different now.

Either way the “we cracked it but you can’t have it yet” is a little sketch to me.

While I’m still waiting on my G80, this might be the first car in a long time that I don’t tune. Between the hardcore stance the manufacturers are taking to thwart tuning and the fact that I can’t use anywhere near the stock HP on the street, I don’t really see the point. It’s one of the reasons I opted for the 6MT, I get some involvement in driving at any speed.

I’m all for choices and it’s potentially good news for anyone who really wants to tune and is fine with the potential risks, I just think for the first time in almost 20 years I’m gonna pass on ECU tuning/piggybacks for more power.
Totally agree. The G80 with base tune and 6MT is crazy fun to drive. I find myself going from 0 to license revoked territory way too fast. Would also be hesitant to experiment with a brand new tuning platform this early on

*but* ask me again in two years when real tunes are out there and I may be singing a different song
Appreciate 2
      06-26-2021, 04:45 PM   #83
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Always interesting to read these threads when they come up not because of the DME crack but the responses of others across though everyone here reading this knows that this won't be the last DME to be cracked and the using at your own discretion talk will continue for years so long as a car has a DME in it.

I understand the case for making a clause for those that tune their cars and hark on it during their lease period but nothing also stops them from keeping the car bone stock, and harking on it while the oil is still cold, now that's a larger detriment in my eyes for the owner after the lease.

Whether it's my F30 I've had tuned for some years now or my F90 thats also been tuned for a year now, I own these vehicles and as an adult should have full understanding of what I'm partaking in.

Then again I'm not a hooligan 24/8 so let the thread continue I suppose
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 06:48 PM   #84
Parnishka
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Black Sapphire

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Nerd View Post
Quote:
Can confirm. They're scanning all cars that are going into service for any signs of ECU temperament and automatically sending the info to BMW NA.
They just flagged my friends G30 that he purchased less than 2 months ago and this was with a SA that I've been going for years!
There's really no way around this no matter how "cool" your SA is. If you tune your car, expect your drivetrain warranty to be lost.

Even if you avoid getting the car plugged in for dealer service, if there is a mechanical issue, they WILL plug your car in and see the DME has been tampered even if you flash back to stock.

Just a warning to those who are itching for more power. I personally think it's too early to tune unless you are willing to pony up for a new engine in the event there is a weakness in the S58 that has yet to be discovered.
don't scare people for no reason. I just been on service and nothing was flagged. I have stage 1 bm3. flashed back to stock and no issue. my BDC module burned out so comfort access and sos stopped working. they replaced BDC, plugged in and reprogrammed whole car. nothing flagged. my SA printed out all paperwork with invoice as well saying all good bro, warranty covered everything, have a good day!
to have a legit SA still make sense absofakinglutely.
Appreciate 3
      06-26-2021, 07:14 PM   #85
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnishka View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Nerd View Post
Quote:
Can confirm. They're scanning all cars that are going into service for any signs of ECU temperament and automatically sending the info to BMW NA.
They just flagged my friends G30 that he purchased less than 2 months ago and this was with a SA that I've been going for years!
There's really no way around this no matter how "cool" your SA is. If you tune your car, expect your drivetrain warranty to be lost.

Even if you avoid getting the car plugged in for dealer service, if there is a mechanical issue, they WILL plug your car in and see the DME has been tampered even if you flash back to stock.

Just a warning to those who are itching for more power. I personally think it's too early to tune unless you are willing to pony up for a new engine in the event there is a weakness in the S58 that has yet to be discovered.
don't scare people for no reason. I just been on service and nothing was flagged. I have stage 1 bm3. flashed back to stock and no issue. my BDC module burned out so comfort access and sos stopped working. they replaced BDC, plugged in and reprogrammed whole car. nothing flagged. my SA printed out all paperwork with invoice as well saying all good bro, warranty covered everything, have a good day!
They may not have plugged you in since they were going to flash your DME anyway. Your warranty repair wasn't for engine related issues. Engine related issues are a different ball game.

Not trying to scare people… I've had my power train warranty voided a year ago after flashing back to stock so just want people to proceed with caution.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
irunalot1518.00
      06-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #86
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnishka View Post
100% chance that if you needed engine or transmission repair/replacement they are flagging your car and denying the warranty
SYT_Shadow11490.00
Seedster2279.00
irunalot1518.00
      06-26-2021, 07:29 PM   #87
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
If they are anything like VW the ecu cannot be hotswapped like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 07:50 PM   #88
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBosS View Post
not to be a critic here, but I'm pretty well informed, and "having" a solution, but not sharing it,

1) makes no sense.
2) posting about it and putting your name on the forum, while BOSCH / BMW are certainly reading along, is even more stupid
3) either you monitize it, or you remain silent
4) is 99,9% sure bs
I agree with this. I can't imagine the logic of investing the time to develop a product and then when you have it, talking about it to your customers and telling them you're not going to sell it until someone else is already selling it.

How do you make more money this way compared to being first to market?
Appreciate 1
irunalot1518.00