BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

View Poll Results: PPF or Ceramic or both or just pay for paint corrections
PPF 9 13.85%
Ceramic 10 15.38%
PPF AND Ceramic 32 49.23%
Just wash and wax and pay for any paint correction 14 21.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

06-12-2021, 05:59 PM   #1
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Question PPF or Ceramic or am I overthinking?

So. lets explain here a bit. I have been wanting an M3 for 35 years. got to a point in my life where I can afford one and got my allocation. wanted to make it special so I also am doing individual paint too.

some background:
I never thought I would get to actually buy an M3. lets just say my early adult life was kinda rough. long story short I got a good job, wife of 21 years and nice home that is almost paid off. I have been bugging my wife about this M3 for the past year. she really is a saint. She recently told me she would rather get a Z for her fun car because my M3 is such a big deal that she doesn't want to have something happen to it while she is driving it.

So, in my head I am thinking... PPF that would be like grandma putting plastic on the sofa to keep it looking brand new forever. did I mention this is my first M?

Then I start reading about Ceramic coatings being "just as good". I also saw articles on PPF AND ceramic.

Am I being overly cautious here? It will be my Daily driver but I work from home so there is no commute involved. it will be for fun drives or groceries or general around town stuff.

Im looking for input from other Owners who have come before me. Am I worrying too much because its an individual color? I assume any scratches or chips will cost more because of a custom color? I can afford the PPF (got quotes from 4500 - 6500) or Ceramic (which should be cheaper I would guess). Its more of a question of does it matter to you to pay the $ for PPF or just pay for any dings/scratches as they happen.

I live up north and get snow so I will already be buying snow tires for winter. not sure if that changes your answers or not.

thanks in advance.

Feeling Crazy

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather

Last edited by Geektechlive; 06-12-2021 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention winter weather up north
Appreciate 2
evilalien450.50
The Dad87.50
      06-12-2021, 06:24 PM   #2
GregM4
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: VERDE ERMES G82 M4 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geektechlive View Post
So. lets explain here a bit. I have been wanting an M3 for 35 years. got to a point in my life where I can afford one and got my allocation. wanted to make it special so I also am doing individual paint too.

some background:
I never thought I would get to actually buy an M3. lets just say my early adult life was kinda rough. long story short I got a good job, wife of 21 years and nice home that is almost paid off. I have been bugging my wife about this M3 for the past year. she really is a saint. She recently told me she would rather get a Z for her fun car because my M3 is such a big deal that she doesn't want to have something happen to it while she is driving it.

So, in my head I am thinking... PPF that would be like grandma putting plastic on the sofa to keep it looking brand new forever. did I mention this is my first M?

Then I start reading about Ceramic coatings being "just as good". I also saw articles on PPF AND ceramic.

Am I being overly cautious here? It will be my Daily driver but I work from home so there is no commute involved. it will be for fun drives or groceries or general around town stuff.

Im looking for input from other Owners who have come before me. Am I worrying too much because its an individual color? I assume any scratches or chips will cost more because of a custom color? I can afford the PPF (got quotes from 4500 - 6500) or Ceramic (which should be cheaper I would guess). Its more of a question of does it matter to you to pay the $ for PPF or just pay for any dings/scratches as they happen.

I live up north and get snow so I will already be buying snow tires for winter. not sure if that changes your answers or not.

thanks in advance.

Feeling Crazy
I would put PPF on all surfaces to the front doors plus wing mirrors. I also do under the door handles for those with long dinner nails.

I also do full ceramic coating. I do Gyeon Q2Duraflex. Prol grade coating with long life. It really makes the colour pop and shine.

So you get great all over protection plus protection from stine chips. Best of both worlds.
SOLD - E93 Burgundy
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2021, 07:19 PM   #3
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Lol thats such a cheap quote, im paying $10,500 for full PPF and ceramic and window tint all around. It's expensive but the last thing I want are rock chips or scratches from keys/purses. You could do the front only and do the ceramic yourself for alot cheaper but its a $100,000 car so im going to just do the whole thing properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 08:23 PM   #4
HughesdePayne
Rep
Drives: ‘21 G80

I've got Black sapphire. It shows all dirt as most black cars do

I got the xpel the full front 1/3rd of the car ($2200)

Ceramic coating over the whole car and the front faces of the wheels ($2100)

They always make do paint correction before putting the cc on.

The PPF is definitely not like putting plastic on the sofa you can't see it unless you pop the hood and inspect the edges

I think it's worth it. If you have saved for the car for most of your life and you plan on keeping it for that long then it's worth it
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 08:33 PM   #5
tsixtial
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

I would do full PPF.

I have frozen and in process for full PPF, ceramic. If you live in so.cal (Orange County) I can get you a deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 09:14 PM   #6
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
I'm in a pretty similar situation with regards to getting the M3. Been a dream of mine for close to 20 years now and finally in a position where I can afford it. I too want it to be special so opting for the individual color and want to ensure it stays as good as new for as long as it possibly can.

The ceramic will make the car a lot easier to wash on a regular basis as well as act as a slight protectant against micro scratches/swirls. It's main purpose though will be to keep that gloss shine on a regular basis and to make wash maintenance easier.

PPF is the one to get if you want to keep the car from getting the chips/scratches in the paint from rocks/road debris or in certain high touch areas that may see keys or other items brush up against it.

Do both if you want the benefits that each offer or just pick the one based on what benefit you want the most.

My current plan is to do PPF on the front bumper, front fenders, full hood, and side mirrors. I'll then do ceramic on the entire vehicle. This will be my first time doing any of this but I think it will be worth it in the long run to keep it looking good as long as possible.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 09:16 PM   #7
Bimmer TiM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3 Competition

PPF is so worth it. Ceramic won't stop those rock chips one single bit. Get PPF and ceramic coat it yourself after. Really not hard to do. Might consider having them ceramic your wheels. They will remove them an ceramic the whole thing. I'd let them do that and do the car panels myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 11:47 PM   #8
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I don't understand PPF over the entire car. Waste of money but whatever. PPF the parts that will see road debris for sure. Ceramic is always a debate for me because the newer spray wax/ceramics work well for periodic use and then a good quality wax and detail keeps it up to shiny standards. But ceramic is more convenient for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 12:29 AM   #9
xmanpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M8C 24 X6MC 21 M3C

Quote:

some background:

thanks in advance.

Feeling Crazy
This a lease or a purchase? How long do you intend to keep this ride?

Lease - max I would do is ceramic.

Purchase - maybe ppf but honestly, keeping these rides past 5 years then the paint will be the least of your worries.

Ride hard for a few years and get a new one.
      06-13-2021, 01:23 AM   #10
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanpro View Post
Quote:

some background:

Im looking for input from other Owners who have come before me. Am I worrying too much because its an individual color? Feeling Crazy
This a lease or a purchase? How long do you intend to keep this ride?

Lease - max I would do is ceramic.

Purchase - maybe ppf but honestly, keeping these rides past 5 years then the paint will be the least of your worries.

Ride hard for a few years and get a new one.
Agreed. Spend the money on track days, mods, etc in 5 years you will want the next big thing or the LCI. Enjoy your new car!

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 04:10 AM   #11
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Xdrive FDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
Lol thats such a cheap quote, im paying $10,500 for full PPF and ceramic and window tint all around. It's expensive but the last thing I want are rock chips or scratches from keys/purses. You could do the front only and do the ceramic yourself for alot cheaper but its a $100,000 car so im going to just do the whole thing properly.
I don’t understand the need for 12k just to protect the paint. I understand no one wants any sort of rock chips or purse scratches. It’s a car. No car stays perfect. The car is meant to be driven and driven hard. I wash my car with a two bucket system and never go through non laser car wash, the car looks amazing even after 4 years. Does it have some rock chips in the front, yes that’s what happens when you drive over 100 every time you take it out. Is it enough to justify 10% premium on top of the car to look like a princess. Not to me. And I’m extremely anal about my paint. Fact is 99 percent of people won’t see your car up close enough to see the stupid little imperfections. Just wash your car correctly so swirls remain a minimum and it will look great.

I might do CC just to try it because it’s cheap enough, but to ppf the whole car is nuts to me. Like I said I drive my car hard as hell. I have zero rock chips on the roof, or hood of my car. Just the front bumper has some rock dings. Only 3-4 big enough for me or noticed WHEN I’m washing my car so I might ppf the front bumper and that’s it if it’s priced reasonable.

I rather spend that 10k to try to get this car faster and have more fun with it. I don’t buy cars to make them garage queens. I buy them to drive it and beat the crap of it to its limits of what my skills is capable of and I move on.

Honestly OP, with the sound of how much you’re driving the car. A CC is more than enough. Enjoy the ride! It’s worst spending 100k on the car and never getting to experience the smiles you get while driving the car because you’re so worry about rock dings. Don’t stress the small stuff.
2012 - Charger SRT 392 - Sold
2009 - Charger SRT 6.1 - Sold

Last edited by ChargerHellcat; 06-13-2021 at 05:17 AM..
Appreciate 2
      06-13-2021, 06:00 AM   #12
Puuhapete
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 25e, 2021 Taycan 4s

I had PPF on my 2016 F80 Comp. After 5 years and 100 000 km the coating had some "bubbles" in the front but apart from that the car looked like new. No marks anywhere, nothing.

I did the same to my Taycan now, so full front, mirrors and the part over the back wheels. I paid 1500 eur for that. No ceramic coating needed imho, since the experience with the F80 was so good.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 01:13 PM   #13
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
I'm in a pretty similar situation with regards to getting the M3. Been a dream of mine for close to 20 years now and finally in a position where I can afford it. I too want it to be special so opting for the individual color and want to ensure it stays as good as new for as long as it possibly can.

The ceramic will make the car a lot easier to wash on a regular basis as well as act as a slight protectant against micro scratches/swirls. It's main purpose though will be to keep that gloss shine on a regular basis and to make wash maintenance easier.

PPF is the one to get if you want to keep the car from getting the chips/scratches in the paint from rocks/road debris or in certain high touch areas that may see keys or other items brush up against it.

Do both if you want the benefits that each offer or just pick the one based on what benefit you want the most.

My current plan is to do PPF on the front bumper, front fenders, full hood, and side mirrors. I'll then do ceramic on the entire vehicle. This will be my first time doing any of this but I think it will be worth it in the long run to keep it looking good as long as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I don't understand PPF over the entire car. Waste of money but whatever. PPF the parts that will see road debris for sure. Ceramic is always a debate for me because the newer spray wax/ceramics work well for periodic use and then a good quality wax and detail keeps it up to shiny standards. But ceramic is more convenient for sure.
I had never ever done PPF or ceramic. A friend of mine who just bought a Porsche started to tell me that now I am buying a M3 that I should protect the money I have spent on the car.

I totally get the leading edge coverage in PPF. most of my bumpers in my previous and current BMWs have stone chips. even leading edges on the hood gets peppered.

I think I am going to just go with leading edges for PPF. The places I have been talking to all have various names for the "packages" but pretty much consist of:
Full Hood
Full Fenders
Full Front Bumper
Headlights
Fog Lights
Mirrors
Door Edges

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019152.00
      06-13-2021, 03:40 PM   #14
tsixtial
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I forgot to mention I even got my Carbon Seats PPF’ed lolll
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 05:07 PM   #15
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

If I could go back I'd opt out of having the full ppf done.

That 10k could have been spent much better.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 08:01 PM   #16
brianray18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Would anyone here do ceramic coating of PPF on a lease?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 08:03 PM   #17
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerHellcat View Post
Quote:
I don't understand the need for 12k just to protect the paint. I understand no one wants any sort of rock chips or purse scratches. It's a car. No car stays perfect. The car is meant to be driven and driven hard. I wash my car with a two bucket system and never go through non laser car wash, the car looks amazing even after 4 years. Does it have some rock chips in the front, yes that's what happens when you drive over 100 every time you take it out. Is it enough to justify 10% premium on top of the car to look like a princess. Not to me. And I'm extremely anal about my paint. Fact is 99 percent of people won't see your car up close enough to see the stupid little imperfections. Just wash your car correctly so swirls remain a minimum and it will look great.

I might do CC just to try it because it's cheap enough, but to ppf the whole car is nuts to me. Like I said I drive my car hard as hell. I have zero rock chips on the roof, or hood of my car. Just the front bumper has some rock dings. Only 3-4 big enough for me or noticed WHEN I'm washing my car so I might ppf the front bumper and that's it if it's priced reasonable.

I rather spend that 10k to try to get this car faster and have more fun with it. I don't buy cars to make them garage queens. I buy them to drive it and beat the crap of it to its limits of what my skills is capable of and I move on.

Honestly OP, with the sound of how much you're driving the car. A CC is more than enough. Enjoy the ride! It's worst spending 100k on the car and never getting to experience the smiles you get while driving the car because you're so worry about rock dings. Don't stress the small stuff.
Well I'm spending $10k on top of the car so that it gives me peace of mind, I could care less what others think of my paint.If I see key marks or a rock chip I will always know it's there, don't care what others think deep down I will know it's there. And why not spend $10,000 on protection and $10,000 on mods too?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:49 PM   #18
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsixtial View Post
I forgot to mention I even got my Carbon Seats PPF’ed lolll
Weird flex but okay
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2021, 11:46 PM   #19
tsixtial
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Weird flex but okay
Loll, I have a 5 year old and a 9 year old and there are times they kick the back, so I did it to protect the carbon.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 04:16 AM   #20
BrooklynGreyM3
///MFlight Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3CX G80

Quote:

some background:

thanks in advance.

Feeling Crazy
Your story sounds pretty much like mine LOL. I've been wanting a M3 for about 30 years. I never thought I would own one or even a new one at that.

I went ahead and got the front half of my car PPF'd (hood, mirrors, front fenders, entire bumper, and headlights) with XPEL. I then had 2 coats of ceramic applied to the entire car to include the wheels and brake calipers with 2 coats. I'm glad I made this decision to protect my investment.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 01:39 PM   #21
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Xdrive FDG

Quote:
Well I'm spending $10k on top of the car so that it gives me peace of mind, I could care less what others think of my paint.If I see key marks or a rock chip I will always know it's there, don't care what others think deep down I will know it's there. And why not spend $10,000 on protection and $10,000 on mods too?
I'm not knocking on you if you are willing to spend 10k on the paint. If 10k is not even something you think about spending for just paint. Then spend away. However, for someone who is thinking about how much it is, then it's will be totaling not worth it TO THEM. Some people at that point might say at 120k, why am I driving a 3 series and why not just get an M5. Everybody thinks differently on how to justify their spending.

I personally wouldn't dump 120k into an M3. That's just me. At that point, I might as well just start thinking about buying a 911 Turbo S.
2012 - Charger SRT 392 - Sold
2009 - Charger SRT 6.1 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 01:42 PM   #22
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerHellcat View Post
Quote:
I'm not knocking on you if you are willing to spend 10k on the paint. If 10k is not even something you think about spending for just paint. Then spend away. However, for someone who is thinking about how much it is, then it's will be totaling not worth it TO THEM. Some people at that point might say at 120k, why am I driving a 3 series and why not just get an M5. Everybody thinks differently on how to justify their spending.

I personally wouldn't dump 120k into an M3. That's just me. At that point, I might as well just start thinking about buying a 911 Turbo S.
You're comparing $120,000 on an m3 to something that in stripper spec is $203,000? If I buy that it's going to be $250,000 after tax and PPF and I lose 3 pedals and 4 doors
Attached Images

Appreciate 0