BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-20-2022, 07:45 PM   #45
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
For what it's worth, when i first picked up the car, obviously it was given to me with a full tank, i was able to reach IIRC 360 miles before i had to refuel. And this was supposedly with "40 miles til empty". My fuel light didn't come on.

Now i had to drive like grandma because of the break in but there was LOTS of idling. SA let me idle the car and get acquainted with it before i even signed the paperwork. Then the tech guy was with me before i left the dealer to go over all the settings (car was idling). Then i was doing more idling at home trying to learn more about the car.

All of that, and i was able to each 360 miles on the odometer before i finally had to refuel.

Now that i finally completely my break in service last saturday, my driving habits will definitely change lol. So i'll see how that affects it with mixed driving, highway, city, grandma driving, maniac because it's a lease type of driving lol etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 08:06 PM   #46
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

When I used to live in Europe it used to cost me €100 or $120 to fill the tank…so now I'm in NYC and it costs $60 to fill I really don't care what the MPG is. The folks in the states don't know how good they have it in terms of Fuel Cost

Having said that the car is very thirsty but that is to be expected but I really don't care. It's just not a factor when buying a car like this
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 08:23 PM   #47
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower View Post
It’s like being behind, or in front of, a new rider on a liter bike they can’t ride or handle. They open it up on every straight, then awkwardly go around corners at 15 mph, then gun it again when the corner’s over. With 3 inch chicken strips on a 195 width race tire
I like leaving eyebrows in the corners.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 09:18 PM   #48
Spykexx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3

Well, seeing these numbers I can't complain coming from an E85 Mustang coyote. I was lucky when I seen double digits. Around town usually about 8 mpg. 16 gallon tank, and had a range of about 140 miles 😂
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 01:57 AM   #49
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixY2K View Post
Never really paid attention to MPG until I bought my wife a GLA45AMG.

That thing is, for me at least, the perfect all around car.

- Besides the fact that it is a compact hatch, 5 door, that seats 5
- It has a pretty good AWD system
- Matted with a DCT 7-gear trans
- Powered by a 4cyl/turbo delivering 375hp (382 for 2021)
- 0-60 in 4.0 & 1/4mi. in 12.2 (Racechip & renntech can improve that)

All while getting up to 38mpg on the highway and 22 spirited miles per gallon in the city.

If this was a group session I would come clean and tell you that I have more fun driving her car than the M4.
Maybe that thing is the best kept secret.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 04:49 AM   #50
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Very fast for a little SUV. I looked at them from my wife but went with the X.3 because of the looks. She didn’t care about speed like I did. The X3 is slow compared to this GLA45AMG. I’m having a difficult time with the gas mileage though seeing is manufactures usually exaggerate to begin with and base their MPG claims off of 55 mph and even they say it gets 27 miles to the gallon on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 06:31 AM   #51
KithM4isBae
Private
Rep
Drives: Kith M4, V60 polestar, SLK55

Getting a hair under 21mpg average overall. My commute is about 6 miles city and 20 miles highway. City I usually drive spirited w/ the settings in sport plus and highway I'm in comfort. I'd say that's pretty good. My defender was getting 16 MPG which was well below EPA estimates.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:27 AM   #52
JMU_BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Skyscraper Grey M4

I'm getting a little over 17mpg, mostly city driving with 6 speed. I pretty much always drive in Sport +, fairly spirited driving
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:39 AM   #53
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I checked during my after-work decompression drive. I'm at 18.9 mpg over 5889 miles without a reset (6MT). Most of my driving has been city streets and country roads, with only a couple of longer freeway runs. I drive her like she was meant to be driven, for the most part.

By econobox standards, it's pretty bad mileage...but compared to what a friend averaged with his ZL1 over the space of a year and similar mileage, it's stellar (I asked him what he's been getting and he reported 10.7 mpg).
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:47 AM   #54
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
But how does it do around corners? Lots of cars are impressive in a straight line. I see plenty of tailgaters, until a corner comes. Then, I'm like, where did they go? Oh, there they are.
Although this was a MPG topic, I know what you're getting to.

Our 45 AMG has all season/weather tires that lean more for the snow and ice. Is our designated all weather car. While the M4 is obviously the king during good weather, I wouldn't even think about taking it out during even a small snow storm here in the Rockies. Once we drop below freezing, that tail wants to whip, if not for the xD. Now, if the 45 had good summer tires, I think it would give the 400lbs heavier M4 a run for its money "in the twisties", straights, M4 is king, again, in fair weather.

Last edited by GixY2K; 01-21-2022 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2022, 07:53 AM   #55
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For me it is. Other than the ugly duckling effect that I feel most M/B have, subjective of course, I've actually been looking for a second GLA 45 AMG 2021. The car has a very torquey engine; HP per liter, they say, rivals that of the Bugatti.

The GLA 45 AMG has been compared to the STI to the extend of calling it the STI for grown ups

It is, for me, all I wanted from the next generation of STIs: Grown up look - even though uglier than STI (that wing is for Fast&Furious Kids), DCT w/ >6spds, AWD, more HP (you know STI should easily offer 350hp but Subaru is still milking the old cow), and a HATCH (their rally platform), which Subaru got rid off back in 2012, I believe. And better FUEL CONSUPTION. STIs average 21mpg if you're lucky with maybe a max of 28mpg. That is ridiculous for a 305hp "rated" engine.

One thing is missing, and I'm still trying to find a descent car that can offer it, is the ability to LOCK the CENTER DIFF AT WILL. This feature would offer, at least for me, a more predictable behavior of the car in icy/snowy conditions; allowing for the car to slide uniformly and under limited control through turns when going a little too hot.

Full Disclosure: I'm in love with almost all cars and believe that brand loyalty is counterproductive to the hobby, my hobby. If given the financial opportunity, I'd probably have a warehouse full of cars (and probably be divorced in the process )

Also, I apologize if this is turning into my GLA 45 AMG full review.

Last edited by GixY2K; 01-21-2022 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 08:53 AM   #56
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Ok, this thread made me actually check this for the first time. On my current tank I am averaging 18.6MPG.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 10:25 AM   #57
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cail4827 View Post
DC to Vegas and back twice. Averaged about 28 MPG both times
This is just putting a cherry on top. Great sports car, great handling, high Hp, to name a few accolades, and great MPG?!?! Wow!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 10:56 AM   #58
AJM1125
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 Competition

19.5 MPG. 60-40 highway/city split. MPG isn't a concern, but it is quite impressive that an M3 with 500hp can do this well.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 11:59 AM   #59
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixY2K View Post
Quote:
For me it is. Other than the ugly duckling effect that I feel most M/B have, subjective of course, I've actually been looking for a second GLA 45 AMG 2021. The car has a very torquey engine; HP per liter, they say, rivals that of the Bugatti.

The GLA 45 AMG has been compared to the STI to the extend of calling it the STI for grown ups

It is, for me, all I wanted from the next generation of STIs: Grown up look - even though uglier than STI (that wing is for Fast&Furious Kids), DCT w/ >6spds, AWD, more HP (you know STI should easily offer 350hp but Subaru is still milking the old cow), and a HATCH (their rally platform), which Subaru got rid off back in 2012, I believe. And better FUEL CONSUPTION. STIs average 21mpg if you're lucky with maybe a max of 28mpg. That is ridiculous for a 305hp "rated" engine.

One thing is missing, and I'm still trying to find a descent car that can offer it, is the ability to LOCK the CENTER DIFF AT WILL. This feature would offer, at least for me, a more predictable behavior of the car in icy/snowy conditions; allowing for the car to slide uniformly and under limited control through turns when going a little too hot.

Full Disclosure: I'm in love with almost all cars and believe that brand loyalty is counterproductive to the hobby, my hobby. If given the financial opportunity, I'd probably have a warehouse full of cars (and probably be divorced in the process )

Also, I apologize if this is turning into my GLA 45 AMG full review.
Someone parks one outside in our neighborhood and I've always been curious about it. Seems like a cool performance hatch that goes largely ignored by enthusiast.
Appreciate 1
GixY2K516.00
      01-21-2022, 12:24 PM   #60
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower View Post
Quote:
Sport and sport plus just change the gas peddle sensitivity, it should have no effect on gas mileage. Perhaps you drive more aggressively when in those settings?

When in auto mode, the setting that impacts gas mileage the most is the drive mode (D1, D2, D3) and of course how fast you drive and accelerate. In sequential mode, it's all about how you drive.

Am I wrong?
Are you sure it's literally just the gas pedal sensitivity? At least in older M cars, my understanding was that the actual fuel mapping (and other things) changed with a press of the sport button. I may be wrong.

My G80 is a manual. And I can tell you that changing the engine mode in my car, even just on the highway cruising, changes the rate of fuel consumption. And it appears to do so materially. I also found this in my 2020 M2C.
That's my understanding. Per the owner's manual:

"The M Engine Dynamics Control affects the response of the vehicle to accelerator pedal movement."

In highway cruising, what would be the purpose of changing the rate of fuel consumption, as you say? You're cruising, why on earth wouldn't you want the best fuel economy possible?

My F80 was the same. What older M cars are you referring to?
I don't think that's saying it changes only the pedal feel. I read that to mean the engine responds differently to the same throttle input. That would have to be due to a different fuel map.

Also…

I think those M buttons wouldn't be much of a big deal if all they'd bring doing was changing the pedal feel.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:26 PM   #61
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep

20 mpg
Appreciate 1
GixY2K516.00
      01-21-2022, 12:44 PM   #62
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jproos View Post
I don't think that's saying it changes only the pedal feel. I read that to mean the engine responds differently to the same throttle input. That would have to be due to a different fuel map.

Also…

I think those M buttons wouldn't be much of a big deal if all they'd bring doing was changing the pedal feel.
What's the difference between "the engine responds differently to the same throttle input" and what I said? It does respond differently. If you push the throttle down an inch in Efficient, you wouldn't have to push it down quite as much in Sport or Sport Plus for the same effect...so yeah, the engine does respond differently. Why would a different fuel map be required?

It does also change the exhaust sound, so not just pedal sensitivity.

Also, I've been to several M Track days at COTA here in Austin. They recommend driving in Efficient on the track so your acceleration is smoother and not as jumpy. They never mention a reduction in HP (which is implied when you say different fuel map).

So, yeah, this setting just changes pedal sensitivity (different than "feel" as you describe it, I think) and some exhaust sound differences. There is a separate sound control button, which then makes the exhaust sound part confusing.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 01:47 PM   #63
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Also…

What's the difference between "the engine responds differently to the same throttle input" and what I said? It does respond differently. If you push the throttle down an inch in Efficient, you wouldn't have to push it down quite as much in Sport or Sport Plus for the same effect...so yeah, the engine does respond differently. Why would a different fuel map be required?

Also, I've been to several M Track days at COTA here in Austin. They recommend driving in Efficient on the track so your acceleration is smoother and not as jumpy. They never mention a reduction in HP (which is implied when you say different fuel map).

So, yeah, this setting just changes pedal sensitivity (different than "feel" as you describe it, I think) and some exhaust sound differences. There is a separate sound control button, which then makes the exhaust sound part confusing.
I think some of the language here overlaps.

What I'm saying is it I think it can't just be how the pedal feels to your foot; it has to be related to fueling. If it was just how the pedal feels, people would have noticed a long time ago the M buttons are just gimmicks.

In my experience, the character of the car changes dramatically with the appropriate M settings.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 02:57 PM   #64
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Also…

What I'm saying is it I think it can't just be how the pedal feels to your foot; it has to be related to fueling. If it was just how the pedal feels, people would have noticed a long time ago the M buttons are just gimmicks.

In my experience, the character of the car changes dramatically with the appropriate M settings.
Throttle sensitivity adjustments are not gimmicky to me. There is also a setting for brake pedal sensitivity, must that do something else?

Just not getting your logic here. What we "feel" should be the case or is or isn't logical is meaningless. BMW states it changes pedal sensitivity and exhaust sounds. Any evidence that it does more?

Not showing the tach in the HUD without changing the M mode and not being able to set m mode in the M1/M2 buttons aren't logical, yet here we are.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 03:03 PM   #65
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

I generally drive like an old fart (since I am one) and my mileage on short city drives in San Francisco with all the hills really sucks, but on the highway, I get 23 - 25.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 03:32 PM   #66
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Also…

Throttle sensitivity adjustments are not gimmicky to me. There is also a setting for brake pedal sensitivity, must that do something else?

Just not getting your logic here. What we "feel" should be the case or is or isn't logical is meaningless. BMW states it changes pedal sensitivity and exhaust sounds. Any evidence that it does more?

Not showing the tach in the HUD without changing the M mode and not being able to set m mode in the M1/M2 buttons aren't logical, yet here we are.
I don't see us getting on the same page here.

I think it's clear the the relevant M settings change the performance of the car not just what my foot feels from the throttle pedal. What your foot feels is what I thought you were talking about. Maybe I misunderstood.

If you see the M settings differently, that's cool.
Appreciate 0