BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-13-2022, 07:40 PM   #45
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M (on order)

Chiming in with a minority perspective. The DRL aesthetic of laserlights over standard LEDs is nice, but I care mainly about function. I'll code the anti-dazzle function as soon as I'm able. (OBDLink CX is currently unavailable, with no ETA.)

When I leave home in the morning, it's pitch black for miles, and deer are everywhere. The longer and brighter the light beam, the better. So far I've not noticed much improvement from our X5's LED high beams to the M4's LEDs with laserlights. The M4 may have longer range but doesn't seem any brighter nor have any better spread.

Deer can blend into background flora extremely well, they move incredibly fast when they want, and they're dumb as rocks. Only a frightened squirrel is less predictable in its movements. I drive near the speed limit (or below) mainly to reduce my braking distance in spots where I know deer reside or move about.

If anyone else drives in total darkness for miles at a time, and has had a different experience, I'm all ears -- or eyes.
Appreciate 4
Mac Daddy340.00
Llarry14494.00
dimab0234.00
      01-13-2022, 08:29 PM   #46
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
When I leave home in the morning, it's pitch black for miles, and deer are everywhere.
Yeah, deer are the worst. I remember infrared night vision was a thing about a decade ago, and available on the 7-series at least. Is this not offered anymore?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison-test/

Quote:
The longer and brighter the light beam, the better. So far I've not noticed much improvement from our X5's LED high beams to the M4's LEDs with laserlights. The M4 may have longer range but doesn't seem any brighter nor have any better spread.
Isn't max output limited by federal regulations? Or maybe just for low-beams.
      01-13-2022, 09:57 PM   #47
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Chiming in with a minority perspective. The DRL aesthetic of laserlights over standard LEDs is nice, but I care mainly about function. I'll code the anti-dazzle function as soon as I'm able. (OBDLink CX is currently unavailable, with no ETA.)

When I leave home in the morning, it's pitch black for miles, and deer are everywhere. The longer and brighter the light beam, the better. So far I've not noticed much improvement from our X5's LED high beams to the M4's LEDs with laserlights. The M4 may have longer range but doesn't seem any brighter nor have any better spread.

Deer can blend into background flora extremely well, they move incredibly fast when they want, and they're dumb as rocks. Only a frightened squirrel is less predictable in its movements. I drive near the speed limit (or below) mainly to reduce my braking distance in spots where I know deer reside or move about.

If anyone else drives in total darkness for miles at a time, and has had a different experience, I'm all ears -- or eyes.
Lucky, I had anti-dazzle coded into my car, and it transforms night driving. I live in a suburban area, so the roads are likely not as pitch dark as yours, but when I've been on my fair share of desolate, dark roads in my G82. And I can attest to how well the anti-dazzle works. The LEDs actively move around to avoid blinding others, and the LEDs of course shine pretty far ahead when on full brightness. And they shine well into the trees, so you can clearly see the woods on both sides of a 2-lane road. I also had it coded on my F82, and I loved it then as well...though the G82s LEDs are brighter with longer reach.

So I wouldn't wait for OBDLinx. I'd simply use a direct ethernet connection like I did. And if you have any issue coding it, contact Almaretto. He coded mine remotely, from one coast to another...and it transformed night driving for me. It's one of my favorite options.
Appreciate 3
Llarry14494.00
      01-14-2022, 12:27 AM   #48
jwt2440
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 - 6MT Triple Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by filostrato View Post
Does anyone in the US market have video of anti-dazzle after recoding? I'd love to be able to add this functionality back as the lights were intended to work.

From what I remember some F8x drivers were not able to get it to work correctly even after redoing the code
All the luxury companies have some version of this that you have to code. I recently just coded my wife's new Mercedes' and it does the same thing with the tunneling. Nothing really unique that bmw does compared to Audi/Mercedes. Go on YouTube and there are a ton of videos showing functionality.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 01:14 AM   #49
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Does anyone in the US market have video of anti-dazzle after recoding? I'd love to be able to add this functionality back as the lights were intended to work.

From what I remember some F8x drivers were not able to get it to work correctly even after redoing the code

This dude below had the most accurate representation of Anti-Dazzle I've seen on a US-spec vehicle, in which this feature was recoded.

Notice how the light beam pattern output on the vehicle ahead is eclipsed or "tunnels," so glaring light isn't cast into the upcoming driver's line of sight. Each headlight (left/right) independently moves vertically, horizontally or shutters, allowing the high beam or beamS to stay on even when other cars are present.

This was really impressive, considering that the driver was traveling in a city setting, with tons of congestion, street lights and signs, which in my experience, causes the camera to typically be fooled by the reflectiveness but his seemed to work really well.

View post on imgur.com

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25722934
This is pretty close to how it looked on my F80 when I coded it back in. It's pretty amazing that this existed even on my 2016 M3.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      01-14-2022, 03:42 AM   #50
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Yes, it's my understanding that when you code antidazzle, you'd also code VLD or variable light distribution, which should also allow the full beam range.
VLD is low beam and corning lights/fogs based on steering wheel direction and speed. It does not involve changing full beam range.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 03:43 AM   #51
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Yes, it's my understanding that when you code antidazzle, you'd also code VLD or variable light distribution, which should also allow the full beam range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
So, does that mean it can be coded out too?

Almaretto Is this part of your coding? Or only the anti-dazzle part?
When I code, I do not change beam distance. But, do you really need 900 meters?
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13021.50
      01-14-2022, 06:22 AM   #52
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Is there a detailed write-up or video somewhere about the coding process (for enabling the anti-dazzle)?
      01-14-2022, 06:49 AM   #53
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Yeah, deer are the worst. I remember infrared night vision was a thing about a decade ago, and available on the 7-series at least. Is this not offered anymore?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison-test/

Isn't max output limited by federal regulations? Or maybe just for low-beams.
The Night Vision feature was actually available in the 5 and the 7, at least until 2020. My SO's 530e has it and our sales-human told us it was removed from the order sheet for the 5 shortly after his car was built. It's a really cool system and puts pedestrians and other such in the HUD display if they're too close to the road, or in the road, at night. It was an expensive option and almost no one chose to buy it in the 5's, but my SO is very glad he has it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 08:36 AM   #54
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
What is your view on Laserlights? I've heard on dark rural roads they're great, but otherwise in general urban conditions there isn't a great advantage to having them. On paper they look pretty good. Anyone have real world feedback?
Not one mention of the fact that….headlight output aside, the daytime running lights look WAY better with the Laser option. That's reason enough (in my opinion) to get them.
Anyone have side by side photos of Laserlights vs standard light for both daytime and nighttime?
Here you go….
Dang it… + $1,000

I'll be adding laser lights to my build…

It's the better turn signal lighting that pushed me over.

Also makes for better hazard lights.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13021.50
      01-14-2022, 09:40 AM   #55
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Is there a detailed write-up or video somewhere about the coding process (for enabling the anti-dazzle)?
You can do it by deleting some keywords with ESYS there's a video for a F82 it's probably a very similar process with this car. I have also seen some people do it with BimmerCode in expert mode but I haven't seen it done on this car that way yet, I'm assuming it's much easier too.

This is ESYS on f82:

Or you can be lazy and pay some folks on here to do it for you.

If someone can chime in and say it's basically the same thing that would be nice or which variable is different.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 10:06 AM   #56
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
You can do it by deleting some keywords with ESYS there's a video for a F82 it's probably a very similar process with this car. I have also seen some people do it with BimmerCode in expert mode but I haven't seen it done on this car that way yet, I'm assuming it's much easier too.

This is ESYS on f82:
Thanks for the info and link ... though I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to try following this unless it was specific to and tested on the G8X ... lest I flip the wrong bit and my car ends up speaking only Ukrainian (or worse).
      01-14-2022, 12:20 PM   #57
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:

Between 2017 and 2018 F8x models they changed the lighting module so it no longer worked.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 12:22 PM   #58
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
The Night Vision feature was actually available in the 5 and the 7, at least until 2020. My SO's 530e has it and our sales-human told us it was removed from the order sheet for the 5 shortly after his car was built. It's a really cool system and puts pedestrians and other such in the HUD display if they're too close to the road, or in the road, at night. It was an expensive option and almost no one chose to buy it in the 5's, but my SO is very glad he has it.
The Escalade my parents just got a few days ago has it. I would have thought it would have trickled down to the 3/4's by now, even before the chip issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 02:36 PM   #59
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post

This is ESYS on f82:
Thanks for the info and link ... though I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to try following this unless it was specific to and tested on the G8X ... lest I flip the wrong bit and my car ends up speaking only Ukrainian (or worse).
Yeah we need the info on what the variable names are to delete for the specific car. If someone wants to share that would be helpful. The process is the same since the software and cable is the same as in that video with the F82. Which item to select/delete is just different I'm guessing. Also I wouldn't fear too much the software saves your current info so if you delete something wrong you can always go back.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 03:11 PM   #60
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

I just talked to my dealer, he tells me he can't get Laser Lights on my March build. He said not a single new vehicle coming into the dealer has arrived with Laser Lights, and was not able "force add" to my configuration. I'm in Canada if that matters.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 03:29 PM   #61
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I just talked to my dealer, he tells me he can't get Laser Lights on my March build. He said not a single new vehicle coming into the dealer has arrived with Laser Lights, and was not able "force add" to my configuration. I'm in Canada if that matters.
You mean adding it to an existing order (that's already been accepted into the production chain)? Or he can't specify the laser option on a new order? The latter would be troubling.
      01-14-2022, 03:39 PM   #62
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Quote:
You mean adding it to an existing order (that's already been accepted into the production chain)? Or he can't specify the laser option on a new order? The latter would be troubling.
He said March build.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 04:05 PM   #63
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
He said March build.
Right, so obviously productions hasn't begun on it yet, but maybe the order was already previously submitted and he's trying to alter it? Just spitballing here... it's concerning, though I don't think we've heard this from anyone else yet.
      01-14-2022, 04:17 PM   #64
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
This is the first time someone is saying they cant add laser lights to the build. Hopefully its a dealer issue and you are able to resolve it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 05:32 PM   #65
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Quote:
This is the first time someone is saying they cant add laser lights to the build. Hopefully its a dealer issue and you are able to resolve it.
Yes I will be pushing them for sure. If no success, I'll be asking for a discount. On other models the option price is $1500.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 05:37 PM   #66
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have a March build, on my build sheet it notes the Laser Lights were removed, I asked to have them (they're included in the package anyway). But my rep said they can't do it.
Appreciate 0