BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-18-2022, 12:40 AM   #45
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Settle?
Appreciate 6
      01-18-2022, 07:57 AM   #46
LifesAnesthesia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 G82, 911 992

Already own a 992 911 as a weekend car so was looking for an ideal daily driver. Had a deposit down on a C8 for roughly 8 months but was always uneasy about how the C8 would do in the snow and was somewhat put off that not many testers could replicate the claimed 2.9 seconds to 60 - in reality it's about 3.4 - so I thought is this going to be the typical America finally got it right scheme?

Not to say the C8 is a bad car, it's pretty nice, but I had always been intrigued by the M4 competition. The reviews for the M3/4 are fantastic and then Edmunds put out a video of a non xdrive M4 thrashing the C8, so I decided to drive a M4 and then was sold.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:50 PM   #47
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
I love sportiness and I love luxury. With this car, I've got a luxury race car that can fit kids and dog, drive through the snow, and absolutely tear it up at the track. The versatility of this ride is astounding. I've learned that I don't like fast if there ain't no luxury (model 3 performance) and I don't like luxury if it ain't fast. The M3 is the jack of all trades
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2022, 01:21 PM   #48
ChargerHellcat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Xdrive FDG

I love fast 4 door cars. Hence all the dodge chargers. However, having owned a Hellcat and other V8s from Dodge. Rear wheel drives are fun cars but they’re a pain to race with. You lose traction ALOT. So my search went for an AWD performance machine. I’ve always wanted the M5, however i read the v8 in these things aren’t’ exactly mod friendly and the ceiling wasn’t very high so came S58 and AWD M3. I hated it at first, thought it was ugly…then I saw the YouTube video of the frozen dark grey M3 from Rogocars and instantly proclaim I’m going to get one. So I did. This will be first BMW, first M so we will see how much I like it. if i don’t, I plan to trade it for a E63 AMG.
2012 - Charger SRT 392 - Sold
2009 - Charger SRT 6.1 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 01:32 PM   #49
Alvinmark12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 G82

Yeah it was between a Lambo or the M4. I settled on the M4. I wanted to save the 200k
Appreciate 3
Limegrntaln13426.00
GGG333603.50
      01-18-2022, 02:19 PM   #50
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

My dreams will make me settle(!) for one, only if I can grow a pair to order one I have two little kids in car seats (one still rear facing). Name another car that would be special like an M car and still can have my kids comfortably ride in the back. I really like my G20 and every time I get into it, I think about how special the G80 would be if the regular 3 series is so damn nice. Oh and the stick shift of course, hard to fathom a manual car with so much grunt. Most powerful manual car I have ever owned was an ND Miata...

Last edited by moodyhank82; 01-18-2022 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 02:26 PM   #51
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Whos settling?

I'm coming from a Honda Fit and Honda Pilot. If anything, I am reaching here
Appreciate 10
bri10425929.50
KevinGS3350.00
Limegrntaln13426.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
Mac Daddy340.00
adr_M3368.50
      01-18-2022, 04:36 PM   #52
Hutchinson04
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 convertible E23 7 Serie

My wife and I visited the local Porsche dealership to order a Carmine red 911 4s with the aero kit. It priced out around $160,000. I just couldn't pull the trigger. I was not looking at the M4 because the previous model was too small. I tried to get in the previous model and kept hitting my shoulder on the b-pillar. It also sounded like a rice burner which I did not like. I decided to look at the M4. Wow is all I can say. I went to a dealer and sat in the 4 series convertible. It was as roomy as my 6 series convertible. I ordered an Aventurine BMW M4 convertible November 9 for $60,000 less and by all accounts as good or better than a 911 4S. My car has been built and is waiting for a carrier. I have owned two 7 series, a 6 series, a 3 series and now my dream car an M series. We have always loved the feel of a BMW. My wife and I are looking forward to years of enjoyment in the Florida sun with our new M4 convertible. I also want to add I have missed the BMW community. In my opinion BMW owners are the nicest (and smartest) car owners of all the brands.
Appreciate 4
Limegrntaln13426.00
JDUNITNOW3501.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
      01-18-2022, 08:39 PM   #53
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerHellcat View Post
I love fast 4 door cars. Hence all the dodge chargers. However, having owned a Hellcat and other V8s from Dodge. Rear wheel drives are fun cars but they're a pain to race with. You lose traction ALOT. So my search went for an AWD performance machine. I've always wanted the M5, however i read the v8 in these things aren't' exactly mod friendly and the ceiling wasn't very high so came S58 and AWD M3. I hated it at first, thought it was ugly…then I saw the YouTube video of the frozen dark grey M3 from Rogocars and instantly proclaim I'm going to get one. So I did. This will be first BMW, first M so we will see how much I like it. if i don't, I plan to trade it for a E63 AMG.
Ahhh.... you went down the YouTube rabbit hole. it's gotten the best of us. if someone did a search on my computer, they would see all M3 content like someone looking to see how much port you been looking at...lol
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 11:25 AM   #54
MTM3
mt4life
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

The only Manual Transmission 6cylinder or higher import sedan. NO choices no settling
02M3ForMe4261.50
      01-20-2022, 12:43 PM   #55
NarkoseTraum
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M4Convertible

I tried to buy a 911... but being stationed over seas, only a few manufacturers will allow you to order a US Spec vehicle in Europe. Porsche wanted me to buy it through a US dealer, take European delivery; with a max of 3 months in Europe, ship it to the states, ship it back... then I could drive it. That seemed ridiculous, so I opted for a G83. Its a great car, happy with my decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:09 PM   #56
Spiffx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 992 Carrera

I saw a yellow M4 while driving around my neighborhood and IMMEDIATELY fell in love with the front fascia. Call me crazy, but I absolutely love that nose. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I honestly cannot understand all the fuzz. It's just such an aggressive racing look! They totally nailed it!
chicagofan0019134.00
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
amuk148.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
gnx759.50
      01-21-2022, 07:58 PM   #57
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffx View Post
I saw a yellow M4 while driving around my neighborhood and IMMEDIATELY fell in love with the front fascia. Call me crazy, but I absolutely love that nose. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I honestly cannot understand all the fuzz. It's just such an aggressive racing look! They totally nailed it!
I agree.

Before i got the G80, i had already bought a carbonio to try to hide the front grill as much as possible. Once i got the car, because i didn't get my plates yet so the front was exposed for 2 weeks, i really started to like it. So much that i returned the carbonio and bought a tow hook mount for my front plate so it wouldn't block the grill.
Appreciate 1
Spiffx448.00
      01-21-2022, 08:19 PM   #58
FrankieNuo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' G80

Garage List
2023 Bmw M3  [8.36]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
To find the next sporty vehicle with a manual transmission would be to jump to a Porsche, and I wasn't ready to throw that kind of cash just yet.
A base G8x with some essential package/options was right around $80k and I don't think that's a bad sticker price for a car this good.
2 options I'd probably get if I were to order again would be the CF buckets and carbon ceramic brakes. Both of which aren't exactly cheap though lol.
Appreciate your view. I'm having a bit of an odd dilemma with the g80/Redeye charger. How was the cat?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 09:05 PM   #59
2022M4COMP
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarkoseTraum View Post
I tried to buy a 911... but being stationed over seas, only a few manufacturers will allow you to order a US Spec vehicle in Europe. Porsche wanted me to buy it through a US dealer, take European delivery; with a max of 3 months in Europe, ship it to the states, ship it back... then I could drive it. That seemed ridiculous, so I opted for a G83. Its a great car, happy with my decision.
Any pics??
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 04:59 AM   #60
Topcarbon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 m4

My path to my incoming m4 was probably not like most.
I had my Mercedes’ a45 amg yellow night for four years and decided to look for something else as a daily. Here in Mexico service centers are not
As abundant as in the states regardless of car manufacturer, especially not in big cities. So my criteria and most important is having a servicing dealership local to me. So, my choices are chevrolet(corvette), ford(mustang) mercedes(gt amg) and really that was it. When it came down to the real choices, I contemplated the corvette C8r as the dealer called and had one ready to ship to me from Mexico City or the M4 from puebla. In the end it came down to practicality and ADM. the corvette was $55,000 over sticker where the M4 was discounted $15,000 for a fully loaded matte pb. The dealership also through in ceramic coating and was a deal too good to pass up. Sure, having a corvette to daily and being 1/12 and 1/1000 would be pretty special, in the end taking the wife on trips around Mexico would be less precarious in the bmw although this color is not that conservative. I’m still waiting on delivery but I am pretty excited to experience those carbon buckets
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 04:38 PM   #61
FCS247
Private
Rep
Drives: 22' M3

My bad guys, what I meant was, what made you choose the M3/M4 over other options that are in the same price range.

Excuse me, English is my second language and used the wrong term there. In my head I was thinking "What made you settle on choosing the m3 over anything else?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 06:39 PM   #62
Spiffx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 992 Carrera

We know what you meant. There won’t be absolution though. 😁
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 09:41 PM   #63
JEM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 XDrive

After purchasing the X4M for my wife, I was set on getting the next gen M3. I just really loved the power delivery of the S58 personally. I want to say at the time of us purchasing the X4M, the M3 design had not been released (or I had not seen it), I don't remember exactly. I had my E46 and was eager to finally get the newest M3... then I saw the pictures. Jaw dropped when I saw the grills, absolutely hated it. Was so upset because I told myself I waited all this time to get the next m3 and they made it so ugly! "I'll never buy one, can't believe they ruined such a timeless design!"

So after thinking about it, I figured I'll save some cash and go with the M2. I kept reading how it was "the next E46." I found a new one without any mark up in August and purchased it out of state and had it shipped out to me. Have loved the car, but it certainly is not the next E46.

The only unfortunate thing is, I had quite the nightmare with the dealership I purchased from. It was the first time I purchased out of state and I had such a headache with registration issues. I went from October --> December without being able to drive it, so the love I had for the M2 faded not because of the car but because of the experience I had to go through just to be able to drive it.

So as my M2 sits in my garage as I wait for the registration issues to be ironed out (it's snowing now anyway, so I prefer not to drive it) I started going down the YouTube rabbit hole. Seeing the rave the Xdrive M3 is getting, I started getting sucked in. Fast forward 13 months later after experiencing the S58, here I am ordering a '22 Xdrive M3 and some how loving that front end? Funny how that all works. There's something about how mean it looks and how it sets itself a part from from a normal 3 series that has drawn me to it and actually starting to like it a lot. I've really come around to loving it. Still trying to decide between frozen black and isle of man green before my order is official, but I'm super excited.

The other cars I had considered: Cayman GTS 4.0 (Over 100k when optioned out), Macan GTS (close to 90K optioned out, but I don't want to have 2 SUVs), I've never liked vettes...so what other cars are in the 80k range that can do what the M3 does? Really nothing unless you like American muscle (hellcats, etc.. which I don't).

Maybe I can consider the RS3 but I think the M3 will be better.

Now I gotta decide if I will also keep the M2 or trade it in and essentially actually make some money on it.
Appreciate 2
ram9cc96.50
BardG212.50
      01-23-2022, 11:13 PM   #64
ram9cc
Private
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCS247 View Post
Hi all -

I wanted to chime in here and get some ideas from other M3/M4 owners to see why you settled on the G8x?

The previous gen M cars were always in the sweet spot imo in terms of pricing. That 60k - 70k range, kind of what the F87 M2C was at is what I have always envisioned the M3 at in terms of price.

A well optioned new M3/M4 shoots up to the mid/upper 80s and in some cases all the way up to 100k if fully optioned. At that price, there are many options available from Cayman S, CTV5 Blackwing, new vette, etc...

So, I am curious, what made you pick the M3 or M4 over any of the cars in similar price ranges?
I have a hard time putting "settle" and 80k car together!

I am so grateful that i can own and experience a car like this. What moved me towards the 2022 M3 Sedan was 6 speed transmission and the extra headroom and space over the f80. i fell in love with the f80 but it was kinda cramped. This M3 is everything i loved about the F80 with better seats and updated display and engine and more power.

love ❤️ is what brought me
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 09:17 AM   #65
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM3 View Post
After purchasing the X4M for my wife, I was set on getting the next gen M3. I just really loved the power delivery of the S58 personally. I want to say at the time of us purchasing the X4M, the M3 design had not been released (or I had not seen it), I don't remember exactly. I had my E46 and was eager to finally get the newest M3... then I saw the pictures. Jaw dropped when I saw the grills, absolutely hated it. Was so upset because I told myself I waited all this time to get the next m3 and they made it so ugly! "I'll never buy one, can't believe they ruined such a timeless design!"

So after thinking about it, I figured I'll save some cash and go with the M2. I kept reading how it was "the next E46." I found a new one without any mark up in August and purchased it out of state and had it shipped out to me. Have loved the car, but it certainly is not the next E46.

The only unfortunate thing is, I had quite the nightmare with the dealership I purchased from. It was the first time I purchased out of state and I had such a headache with registration issues. I went from October --> December without being able to drive it, so the love I had for the M2 faded not because of the car but because of the experience I had to go through just to be able to drive it.

So as my M2 sits in my garage as I wait for the registration issues to be ironed out (it's snowing now anyway, so I prefer not to drive it) I started going down the YouTube rabbit hole. Seeing the rave the Xdrive M3 is getting, I started getting sucked in. Fast forward 13 months later after experiencing the S58, here I am ordering a '22 Xdrive M3 and some how loving that front end? Funny how that all works. There's something about how mean it looks and how it sets itself a part from from a normal 3 series that has drawn me to it and actually starting to like it a lot. I've really come around to loving it. Still trying to decide between frozen black and isle of man green before my order is official, but I'm super excited.

The other cars I had considered: Cayman GTS 4.0 (Over 100k when optioned out), Macan GTS (close to 90K optioned out, but I don't want to have 2 SUVs), I've never liked vettes...so what other cars are in the 80k range that can do what the M3 does? Really nothing unless you like American muscle (hellcats, etc.. which I don't).

Maybe I can consider the RS3 but I think the M3 will be better.

Now I gotta decide if I will also keep the M2 or trade it in and essentially actually make some money on it.
It's interesting how "startling" design and styling can grow on a person, huh?

It seems pricing is a common metric when making a decision to purchase an M3. It's true there isn't much else in that price band (IMHO Hellcat doesn't belong in the comparison, they are out of date and a bit of a caricature of themselves) I've had Audi's including an RS4, but they don't feel they're nearly as much a "drivers car" as BMW.

Respectfully, comparing the M3 to Porsche isn't really apples to apples. True on paper and even in some performance tests it's remarkable how the M3 stacks up, but Porsche is a "level up" I think.

I have an M3C on order and very excited! (I only hope they don't delete important options&#128556 I'm coming out of a M550, I'm can't wait for the M3 driving experience!
Appreciate 1
JEM3569.00
      01-24-2022, 09:25 AM   #66
JEM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
Respectfully, comparing the M3 to Porsche isn't really apples to apples. True on paper and even in some performance tests it's remarkable how the M3 stacks up, but Porsche is a "level up" I think.
Yep, I agree there.

Only reason I brought them up is budget really. Any Porsche I truly want is well over my budget. Creeps up in the $100k range which I can't justify spending for something that I need as a daily. I would have considered a Cayman S if it wasn't a flat 4.
Appreciate 1
BardG212.50