BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-01-2022, 10:39 AM   #1
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, G87 M2 coming

New Black Sapphire Metallic M3 Manual - Initial Thoughts

Hi there! I took delivery of my Black Sapphire Metallic Manual M3 on Wednesday of this week. Ordered it in August, was projected to be in by Thanksgiving, but of course was delayed due to parts shortages and transportation shortages.

For context, I was a "BMW guy" in my younger years, had E36 328i Convertible, 740iL, E39 540i Sport Package Manual, M Roadster, E46 M3 Manual Convertible and an X5, from like 1996 to 2002. Also has some Audis and Porsches. Then had 3 kids and gave up the sports cars and premium sedans for more practical options, including mostly EVs from 2013 to early 2021. Now nearing empty nester status and getting back into it. Also my context recently is that I got a Porsche 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual in March of 2021, and have put 16K miles on that already. That actually wasn't very helpful coming into the M3, as that 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 with that naturally aspirated engine and that slick 6 speed is a pretty hard act to follow. It is my favorite car on the planet, including any 911 short of a GT3. (I had also considered the M2C and M2 CS at the time, great cars and great value, but the 718 was what the heart wanted, at a pretty big premium, even to the M2 CS.)

The M3 is spec'ed with:
  • Black Full Merino Leather
  • Exec Package
  • 18/19" 824M Wheels (although I haven't seen them yet, had the car delivered with the BMW 19" Winter Wheel and Tire Package, those look killer in Satin Black)
  • M Drive Professional
  • Black Calipers
  • Carbon Fiber Interior Trim
  • Front Ventilated Seats
  • Laserlights

MSRP was $79,045 USD including destination, and I got a $500 discount from MSRP.

I am pretty happy with the spec! The interior and exterior color choices were tough, there are so many great interior and exterior colors available. At the end of the day the all-Black spec is a classic, can't go wrong with that. At this price, I feel like this car is a great value.

I bought it as my "Winter/Family" car, will use it as the primary car in the Winters, and as a bigger car when needed in the Spring, Summer and Fall. You would think that for a Winter Car I would have bought the XDrive - but I really wanted the Manual. A RWD car with Nannies and Snow Tires is awesome in the Snow, so that worked for me. Much better ground clearance than the 718.

First impressions:
  • It was hard to get used to at first, I was so used to the 718 that this initially felt like a 7 Series versus a 3 Series, LOL!
  • My 1997 or 1998 E39 540i Sport Package Manual was my one of my favorite BMWs I owned back in the day, along with the E46 Manual M3 Convertible. This car is big compared to the E46 M3, it feels much more like the 540i. The back seats are bigger than the E39 540i, no question. The M2s I drove were much more like the E46 M3. Of course we all know this and agree, so I will stop on that.
  • The looks - I was initially very worried I wouldn't like the looks, particularly the front grille. I even tried to force myself to look at pictures and videos while I was waiting, but that really didn't work. I went to the dealer to check it out before delivery, while I was waiting to get the Ceramic Coating done. I still wasn't sure. But then within like 24 hours of delivery, something weird happened, I did a full 180 and all of a sudden really liked the looks of the whole car, including the front end. I found that really weird, but it was a relief. I think what it is is that when it is yours, it is different. I appreciate now that for the first time ever the M3 has a completely unique body style, it isn't just a 3 Series with a more aggressive Front Apron, a Spoiler and Black Trim. It is its own model more so now, and is aggressive and in that context, it looks great!

Initial Dislikes - Really primarily three:
  • The Transmission - That is my number one gripe so far, is the shifting, particularly the well documented rough 1-2 shift. It is actually one of the primary reasons I didn't buy the M2C or M2 CS, they both had that too (sort of in a different way), and I was worried I wouldn't get used to it. The Porsches felt much more natural and smooth shifting, which was one of the reasons I went that direction, but just as much so it was that glorious 4.0L naturally aspirated engine that revs to 8K RPMs. Back to the M3, I am getting used to it, a little. Thanks so much to you guys here, there were some great tips on how to best execute that 1-2 shift, and that has helped a lot. I did do the BMS Clutch Stop mod the first day I had the car, that helped a lot with regards to clutch feel, it got rid of that weird "bottomless clutch" feeling, but for me it didn't seem to help with the 1-2 shift. But like I said, I do feel better about it now, I am starting to get used it.
  • Also I do plan to get the CDV Delete mod done soon.
  • I thought I would find the shifter rubbery and have too long of a throw, based on my test drive back in April of 2021, but I got used to it quickly, I don't mind it too much. It might be rough when switching back and forth between the 2 cars, I haven't driven the 718 yet since taking the delivery of the M3, it is up on the lift and I have been focused on checking out and getting used to the M3, and also we have had some snow here in Chicago. (I do have Winter Tires on the 718, coincidentally Michelin PA4's just like on the BMW Winter Set.) I may eventually do a Short Shift Kit.
  • The second gripe - The Steering is pretty vague. It is a little better in Sport Mode. That is a tough one for any car, with me coming from the 718 GTS, the steering on that car is about as good as it gets. I am sure I will get used to that.
  • Third - The Lane Keep Assist is annoying! The screen says it is turned off, but it most certainly is not, I get both the vibrations and the steering intervention, even though it says it is off. I did figure out that it is disabled in M Mode, so I just drive in that all the time. Which is fine, because I like the tach in the heads up display, and that center screen better anyway.

My favorite things about the M3 so far:
  • The power - holy cow! Nuff said.
  • The interior is fantastic, with the Full Merino Leather upgrade.
  • The seats (the regular ones) are great! Very comfortable, while still holding you in there pretty firmly. The Carbon ones look amazing, but I found them a little less comfortable, and I knew my wife would HATE getting in and out of them.
  • The UI with the screen and the knob is awesome - the best I have seen in any car.
  • The back seats are very comfortable, and huge. No one will complain sitting back there, except about my aggressive shifting and driving.
  • As much as I have complained about the Manual feel, I dig that it is a Manual. I test drove both the Manual and the Competition/Auto, and I think the Manual is a much more engaging experience. That is a key reason I selected the M3, it is really the best remaining Manual Sports Sedan. I am finding that is the case, it is a very engaging car!
  • I actually like the piped in Exhaust noise, I think it sounds pretty good. I didn't expect that.
  • The all-Black look - darn good choice! Looks awesome clean or dirty. Batmobile...

For mods, like I said the BMS Clutch Stop is done, will do CDV Delete soon, and will likely eventually do a SSK. I might do the BMS Intake and maybe some exhaust stuff.

So far, I am pretty happy with the purchase, and I am excited to get to know the car better and make it my own.

Thanks to everyone here for all the great info and tips, it was all very helpful in spec'ing my order, and tips for things like the 1-2 shift and figuring out the features and nuances of the car!

Last edited by IL Pete; 01-01-2022 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Added pics
Appreciate 19
spidy512491.50
Llarry15467.50
ando2000.50
mzcp2660.00
Jason40716.00
ChrisM41614.00
2011ninja3377.50
Mac Daddy340.00
evoi191511.50
heavyD^23688.50
gohawks23426.00
MalibuM3427.50
Scorp!on1511.50
VonB1119.00
      01-01-2022, 10:53 AM   #2
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4

Garage List
2022 M4  [0.00]
Lets see those pics of your new ride. I ordered a bsm m4 as well. Hopefully I don't regret going the all black route.
      01-01-2022, 10:58 AM   #3
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

What are these tips for the 1 - 2 shift you speak of? Based on my past experience, the CDV delete is an absolute must if you want to be able to shift quickly, but even with that done on my 135i the 1 - 2 was always a bit tricky. I assumed it was a synchro issue, really hoping it's better on this car.
Appreciate 1
IL Pete133.50
      01-01-2022, 01:34 PM   #4
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Congrats on your new car. I have a similar build and I agree with your initial assessment. Do the CDV delete for a smoother 1-2. I am also waiting for the SSK and UCP for a better driving experience. Maybe wait for some CS coding for the steering feel, if they decide to improve it. Now we need to see some pics
Appreciate 1
IL Pete133.50
      01-01-2022, 02:22 PM   #5
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyim1988 View Post
Lets see those pics of your new ride. I ordered a bsm m4 as well. Hopefully I don't regret going the all black route.
I don't think you will regret it, I think BSM looks great, both clean and dirty! I haven't seen a G82 M4 in BSM in real life, but I think it looks great in pics.

Here it is in my Garage a little dirty, with the 718 - my dream garage!

It is a lot more dirty now, it has been snowing and I have been driving it around a ton. Still looks great.

With Winter Tires, this car feels great in the snow. Very sure-footed, inspires confidence. Tons of grip, accelerating, braking, turning. The nannies on this car work great.
Appreciate 3
mzcp2660.00
ando2000.50
      01-01-2022, 02:37 PM   #6
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
What are these tips for the 1 - 2 shift you speak of? Based on my past experience, the CDV delete is an absolute must if you want to be able to shift quickly, but even with that done on my 135i the 1 - 2 was always a bit tricky. I assumed it was a synchro issue, really hoping it's better on this car.
There are some tips buried in this thread:

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1825504

One was to shift at 2500 RPM or less, which works when you are casually tooling around. When accelerating more aggressively and up into higher RPMs, that is where I find it more difficult. Some tips there were to get into the gas harder before releasing the clutch, and also releasing the clutch more gradually. Both notions seem to help. But still, it shouldn't be this hard.

I am looking forward to seeing how it is after the CDV Delete.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 02:39 PM   #7
Delmoney335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM G80 comp

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Welcome. To the BSM crew. Looks good ! I love mine.
      01-01-2022, 03:00 PM   #8
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Pete View Post
I don't think you will regret it, I think BSM looks great, both clean and dirty! I haven't seen a G82 M4 in BSM in real life, but I think it looks great in pics.

Here it is in my Garage a little dirty, with the 718 - my dream garage!

It is a lot more dirty now, it has been snowing and I have been driving it around a ton. Still looks great.

With Winter Tires, this car feels great in the snow. Very sure-footed, inspires confidence. Tons of grip, accelerating, braking, turning. The nannies on this car work great.
My dream garage too Please tell me you have PPF
Appreciate 1
IL Pete133.50
      01-01-2022, 03:33 PM   #9
jwt2440
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 - 6MT Triple Black

Quote:
Hi there! I took delivery of my Black Sapphire Metallic Manual M3 on Wednesday of this week. Ordered it in August, was projected to be in by Thanksgiving, but of course was delayed due to parts shortages and transportation shortages.

For context, I was a "BMW guy" in my younger years, had E36 328i Convertible, 740iL, E39 540i Sport Package Manual, M Roadster, E46 M3 Manual Convertible and an X5, from like 1996 to 2002. Also has some Audis and Porsches. Then had 3 kids and gave up the sports cars and premium sedans for more practical options, including mostly EVs from 2013 to early 2021. Now nearing empty nester status and getting back into it. Also my context recently is that I got a Porsche 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual in March of 2021, and have put 16K miles on that already. That actually wasn't very helpful coming into the M3, as that 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 with that naturally aspirated engine and that slick 6 speed is a pretty hard act to follow. It is my favorite car on the planet, including any 911 short of a GT3. (I had also considered the M2C and M2 CS at the time, great cars and great value, but the 718 was what the heart wanted, at a pretty big premium, even to the M2 CS.)

The M3 is spec'ed with:
  • Black Full Merino Leather
  • Exec Package
  • 18/19" 824M Wheels (although I haven't seen them yet, had the car delivered with the BMW 19" Winter Wheel and Tire Package, those look killer in Satin Black)
  • M Drive Professional
  • Black Calipers
  • Carbon Fiber Interior Trim
  • Front Ventilated Seats
  • Laserlights

MSRP was $79,045 USD including destination, and I got a $500 discount from MSRP.

I am pretty happy with the spec! The interior and exterior color choices were tough, there are so many great interior and exterior colors available. At the end of the day the all-Black spec is a classic, can't go wrong with that. At this price, I feel like this car is a great value.

I bought it as my "Winter/Family" car, will use it as the primary car in the Winters, and as a bigger car when needed in the Spring, Summer and Fall. You would think that for a Winter Car I would have bought the XDrive - but I really wanted the Manual. A RWD car with Nannies and Snow Tires is awesome in the Snow, so that worked for me. Much better ground clearance than the 718.

First impressions:
  • It was hard to get used to at first, I was so used to the 718 that this initially felt like a 7 Series versus a 3 Series, LOL!
  • My 1997 or 1998 E39 540i Sport Package Manual was my one of my favorite BMWs I owned back in the day, along with the E46 Manual M3 Convertible. This car is big compared to the E46 M3, it feels much more like the 540i. The back seats are bigger than the E39 540i, no question. The M2s I drove were much more like the E46 M3. Of course we all know this and agree, so I will stop on that.
  • The looks - I was initially very worried I wouldn't like the looks, particularly the front grille. I even tried to force myself to look at pictures and videos while I was waiting, but that really didn't work. I went to the dealer to check it out before delivery, while I was waiting to get the Ceramic Coating done. I still wasn't sure. But then within like 24 hours of delivery, something weird happened, I did a full 180 and all of a sudden really liked the looks of the whole car, including the front end. I found that really weird, but it was a relief. I think what it is is that when it is yours, it is different. I appreciate now that for the first time ever the M3 has a completely unique body style, it isn't just a 3 Series with a more aggressive Front Apron, a Spoiler and Black Trim. It is its own model more so now, and is aggressive and in that context, it looks great!

Initial Dislikes - Really primarily three:
  • The Transmission - That is my number one gripe so far, is the shifting, particularly the well documented rough 1-2 shift. It is actually one of the primary reasons I didn't buy the M2C or M2 CS, they both had that too (sort of in a different way), and I was worried I wouldn't get used to it. The Porsches felt much more natural and smooth shifting, which was one of the reasons I went that direction, but just as much so it was that glorious 4.0L naturally aspirated engine that revs to 8K RPMs. Back to the M3, I am getting used to it, a little. Thanks so much to you guys here, there were some great tips on how to best execute that 1-2 shift, and that has helped a lot. I did do the BMS Clutch Stop mod the first day I had the car, that helped a lot with regards to clutch feel, it got rid of that weird "bottomless clutch" feeling, but for me it didn't seem to help with the 1-2 shift. But like I said, I do feel better about it now, I am starting to get used it.
  • Also I do plan to get the CDV Delete mod done soon.
  • I thought I would find the shifter rubbery and have too long of a throw, based on my test drive back in April of 2021, but I got used to it quickly, I don't mind it too much. It might be rough when switching back and forth between the 2 cars, I haven't driven the 718 yet since taking the delivery of the M3, it is up on the lift and I have been focused on checking out and getting used to the M3, and also we have had some snow here in Chicago. (I do have Winter Tires on the 718, coincidentally Michelin PA4's just like on the BMW Winter Set.) I may eventually do a Short Shift Kit.
  • The second gripe - The Steering is pretty vague. It is a little better in Sport Mode. That is a tough one for any car, with me coming from the 718 GTS, the steering on that car is about as good as it gets. I am sure I will get used to that.
  • Third - The Lane Keep Assist is annoying! The screen says it is turned off, but it most certainly is not, I get both the vibrations and the steering intervention, even though it says it is off. I did figure out that it is disabled in M Mode, so I just drive in that all the time. Which is fine, because I like the tach in the heads up display, and that center screen better anyway.

My favorite things about the M3 so far:
  • The power - holy cow! Nuff said.
  • The interior is fantastic, with the Full Merino Leather upgrade.
  • The seats (the regular ones) are great! Very comfortable, while still holding you in there pretty firmly. The Carbon ones look amazing, but I found them a little less comfortable, and I knew my wife would HATE getting in and out of them.
  • The UI with the screen and the knob is awesome - the best I have seen in any car.
  • The back seats are very comfortable, and huge. No one will complain sitting back there, except about my aggressive shifting and driving.
  • As much as I have complained about the Manual feel, I dig that it is a Manual. I test drove both the Manual and the Competition/Auto, and I think the Manual is a much more engaging experience. That is a key reason I selected the M3, it is really the best remaining Manual Sports Sedan. I am finding that is the case, it is a very engaging car!
  • I actually like the piped in Exhaust noise, I think it sounds pretty good. I didn't expect that.
  • The all-Black look - darn good choice! Looks awesome clean or dirty. Batmobile...

For mods, like I said the BMS Clutch Stop is done, will do CDV Delete soon, and will likely eventually do a SSK. I might do the BMS Intake and maybe some exhaust stuff.

So far, I am pretty happy with the purchase, and I am excited to get to know the car better and make it my own.

Thanks to everyone here for all the great info and tips, it was all very helpful in spec'ing my order, and tips for things like the 1-2 shift and figuring out the features and nuances of the car!
I had an F82 manual with this exact spec in colors. I loved it.
Appreciate 1
IL Pete133.50
      01-01-2022, 03:43 PM   #10
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcp View Post
My dream garage too Please tell me you have PPF
I got a Ceramic Package, inside and out, from the dealer.

I tried to get a front PPF package from them too, but their installer was booked through Mid-January. So I just got the Ceramic for now. I may circle back later and do a partial PPF.

Of course the Cayman has a full PPF.
Appreciate 1
mzcp2660.00
      01-01-2022, 04:14 PM   #11
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I got a Ceramic Package, inside and out, from the dealer.

I tried to get a front PPF package from them too, but their installer was booked through Mid-January. So I just got the Ceramic for now. I may circle back later and do a partial PPF.

Of course the Cayman has a full PPF.
I have partial PPF and that has saved me already. I also recommend some Mudflaps to protect your side and rocker panels
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 04:52 PM   #12
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Congratulations! I pick up my Black Sapphire Metallic M4 Manual on Monday.
      01-01-2022, 06:19 PM   #13
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

OP - this 6MT has more of a "break-in" than any manual I'd had in the past. Hold off on any judgements on it until you give it time. While I don't think it wins any awards, I was much happier with it at 2500 miles than I was the first month.

Congrats on the car!
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2022, 08:09 AM   #14
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Congrats! Looks great. More pics of the 718 please!
Appreciate 1
IL Pete133.50
      01-02-2022, 08:11 AM   #15
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I have partial PPF and that has saved me already. I also recommend some Mudflaps to protect your side and rocker panels
Wow, that one is a doozy!

Thanks for the suggestion on Mudflaps, I will look into those.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 08:12 AM   #16
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
OP - this 6MT has more of a "break-in" than any manual I'd had in the past. Hold off on any judgements on it until you give it time. While I don't think it wins any awards, I was much happier with it at 2500 miles than I was the first month.
That is good to hear!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 08:58 AM   #17
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Quote:
Only has saved you if you have replaced that PPF. Looks as bad or worse as paint chip otherwise. Downside of PPF is perpetual expensive replacement...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 10:00 AM   #18
Mac Daddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 pure

IL Pete:

I read your post with great interest. We have similar situations and car backgrounds.

I love that you got the manual for a winter car despite the unavailability of AWD! I am a die-hard manual guy, and I am not sure even I would have done that, especially with a 718 GTS available. Gentian blue with black wheels - gorgeous!

I had a '99 540 6MT back in the day, and loved it. My least favorite thing about it was the transmission, particularly the clutch engagement. The throws were long and a little vague, but the clutch uptake was fuzzy and a bit unpredictable (even with CDV delete), and that made that 1-2 upshift difficult to pull off smoothly. How would you compare that the troubles you're having with the G80?

Love the spec too. M Drive Professional on a winter car? Cheeky! You are set up very well to enjoy your empty nester status!
past, all 6MT: E90 M3 ZCP, E60 M5, E60 550i, E39 540i
Appreciate 1
IL Pete133.50
      01-02-2022, 10:38 AM   #19
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Love your car OP!

RWD manual in the winter is an opportunity for FUN! I just had my manual BSM M2 out in the snow yesterday to play around in the empty high school parking lot down the street

Enjoy your new car in good health!
Appreciate 1
IL Pete133.50
      01-02-2022, 11:18 AM   #20
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohawks23 View Post
Only has saved you if you have replaced that PPF. Looks as bad or worse as paint chip otherwise. Downside of PPF is perpetual expensive replacement...
Yea, that was going to be my question. What does it cost for that? I suppose it depends based on the part of the car. If you had a large enough ding in the hood or other large body panel I imagine it could get expensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 11:19 AM   #21
tdlondon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 and 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
1985 BMW M635csi  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
I read your post with great interest. We have similar situations and car backgrounds.

I love that you got the manual for a winter car despite the unavailability of AWD! I am a die-hard manual guy, and I am not sure even I would have done that, especially with a 718 GTS available. Gentian blue with black wheels - gorgeous!

I had a '99 540 6MT back in the day, and loved it. My least favorite thing about it was the transmission, particularly the clutch engagement. The throws were long and a little vague, but the clutch uptake was fuzzy and a bit unpredictable (even with CDV delete), and that made that 1-2 upshift difficult to pull off smoothly. How would you compare that the troubles you're having with the G80?

Love the spec too. M Drive Professional on a winter car? Cheeky! You are set up very well to enjoy your empty nester status!
Pete’s 718 is even more special Blue! PTS Albert Blue!
Appreciate 1
IL Pete133.50
      01-02-2022, 11:20 AM   #22
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Yea, that was going to be my question. What does it cost for that? I suppose it depends based on the part of the car. If you had a large enough ding in the hood or other large body panel I imagine it could get expensive.
Patching looks crappy so it depends on panel size but usually in the hundreds if not several hundreds of dollars.
Appreciate 0