BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-24-2022, 12:49 AM   #89
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Going to check out a 718 GTS tomorrow, if all goes well I'll likely say goodbye to my M3… only time will tell at this point. I simply want a car that is truly fun to drive again and I haven't felt that well with this one like how my M2 was
Thought about going back to the M2 or maybe a 2CS?
      01-24-2022, 12:52 AM   #90
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I test drove a used xdrive m4 today. I felt the transmission was slower than my F gen m2 but about the same responsiveness as my e90 m3. I don't know if that helps anyone with what "normal" is for the g8x m.
Used??? I thought these were just getting delivered??
      01-24-2022, 06:54 AM   #91
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Quote:
Going to check out a 718 GTS tomorrow, if all goes well I'll likely say goodbye to my M3… only time will tell at this point. I simply want a car that is truly fun to drive again and I haven't felt that well with this one like how my M2 was
Most likely a Cayman, I can't find an M2 that is CPO and the CS is priced the same as a Cayman GTS

Edit: my 2018 M2 I picked up with 6K miles was a hell of a deal. I paid $38K (I paid cost) and I sold it last year for $50K, I wish I kept the car. Now all of them are $60K+ so I might as well spend the extra and get something more fun.

Right now I'm just waiting to see what people say. The biggest letdown for me is the transmission, and how BMW is handling things
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 12:05 PM   #92
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Most likely a Cayman, I can't find an M2 that is CPO and the CS is priced the same as a Cayman GTS

Edit: my 2018 M2 I picked up with 6K miles was a hell of a deal. I paid $38K (I paid cost) and I sold it last year for $50K, I wish I kept the car. Now all of them are $60K+ so I might as well spend the extra and get something more fun.

Right now I'm just waiting to see what people say. The biggest letdown for me is the transmission, and how BMW is handling things
I'm going to suggest something that worked on other models when it felt like the transmission wasn't responsive. It wasn't really the transmission but the engine and how it behaved during the rev drop.

1. Get the Chevron fuel system cleaner and run it through a tank of gas.
2. Pay for an out of cycle oil change (may run up to $200 for an M car). Maybe negotiate it lower with the dealer saying it's because of your dissatisfaction with the shifts.

Once you get the car back after this, always drive it gently in comfort until the temperature gauge shows it is fully warmed up. Run however you want to run after that.

See if it makes a difference. I'm almost sure some of what you're feeling is due to premature engine oil degradation. Do this especially if the car felt fine when it was new.
      01-24-2022, 12:16 PM   #93
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm going to suggest something that worked on other models when it felt like the transmission wasn't responsive. It wasn't really the transmission but the engine and how it behaved during the rev drop.

2. Pay for an out of cycle oil change (may run up to $200 for an M car). Maybe negotiate it lower with the dealer saying it's because of your dissatisfaction with the shifts.

Once you get the car back after this, always drive it gently in comfort until the temperature gauge shows it is fully warmed up. Run however you want to run after that.

See if it makes a difference. I'm almost sure some of what you're feeling is due to premature engine oil degradation. Do this especially if the car felt fine when it was new.
The car has been like this since I got it so cleaning the engine won't make a difference. I only run top tier fuel (93 ocatne as well) and my car is up to temp when this occurs.

Nothing's changed since I got it back since they didn't do anything to it. I am speaking with a dealer about a Cayman GTS right now and if things work out I'll pick it up this week.

The transmission software or engine software are likely what is causing it. With an update they can address things but I don't foresee that occuring.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 12:17 PM   #94
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "kjx;28506068"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "AndroidRobot;28504909"

Quote:
Originally Posted by "RugbyBro;28504470"

Quote:
Originally Posted by "AndroidRobot;28503892"

The car has been like this since I got it so cleaning the engine won't make a difference. I only run top tier fuel (93 ocatne as well) and my car is up to temp when this occurs.

Nothing's changed since I got it back since they didn't do anything to it. I am speaking with a dealer about a Cayman GTS right now and if things work out I'll pick it up this week.

The transmission software or engine software are likely what is causing it. With an update they can address things but I don't foresee that occuring.
Ah that sucks… hope you find what you're after in your next car!
Patton2502936.50
      01-24-2022, 12:19 PM   #95
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ah that sucks… hope you find what you're after in your next car!
It's alright, the transmission is my only big letdown with the car. If this deal falls through I'll just wait on the one I have on order, not a big deal. I've never owned a P Car but I've driven many. The Cayman chassis is by far my favorite then the M2. I love my M3, I just wish BMW would address the issue
Appreciate 1
kjx3162.50
      01-24-2022, 04:17 PM   #96
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
I test drove a used xdrive m4 today. I felt the transmission was slower than my F gen m2 but about the same responsiveness as my e90 m3. I don't know if that helps anyone with what "normal" is for the g8x m.
Used??? I thought these were just getting delivered??
Yeah. BMW mountain view had two of them used! Figured I had a better shot for a test drive on a used car.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 05:46 PM   #97
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
I'm very close to finalizing a deal on a CPO GTS with 1200 miles just waiting to see the final numbers and if they come together as stated. It's Gentian Blue. I really want Python Green but I still have my order placed for one as well.
Appreciate 1
kjx3162.50
      01-24-2022, 06:03 PM   #98
0Camus0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2021 Base / Supra 2020

Quote:
Here's a better video

Edit: engine is in sport+ for this as well as the first video.
It's as fast or faster than the Supra, I don't see any issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 06:21 PM   #99
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Camus0 View Post
Quote:
Here's a better video

Edit: engine is in sport+ for this as well as the first video.
It's as fast or faster than the Supra, I don't see any issues.
It's still slower than other BMW's, bothers me enough to get rid of the car that I waited a year for
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 08:17 PM   #100
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Damn great deal for your '18 M2! Unfortunately, if you don't own one currently, M2s are a massive hype car. They're fantastic but I would say priced a little above their worth at the current moment. By comparison, if you scored a CS for 100k it's probably a better relative value to MSRP + traditional depreciation rather than a regular M2. But I can definitely appreciate it being a good opportunity to jump into a 718 at that price.

FWIW, your videos mirror my experience in all the BMW (and other manufacturer) ZF-8 iterations I've driven (435, M135, 330, M340, X3M40, X3M, M5C) - so I'm not sure software will change it drastically. I'd say that it's still very quick, but lacks the immediacy you're looking for. Those planetary clutch packs just can't shift as intensely as the Dual Clutch pack which is probably why you don't see them programmed to be insanely immediate.
      01-24-2022, 08:19 PM   #101
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah. BMW mountain view had two of them used! Figured I had a better shot for a test drive on a used car.
Wow, I'm surprised but also not given the area. Bought my F82 from MV a while back. I'm hoping they do M track days again at Sonoma this year, I'd fly down for that. Or even bring back M Town Tour
      01-24-2022, 09:03 PM   #102
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
It's still slower than other BMW's, bothers me enough to get rid of the car that I waited a year for
My xdrive goes 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds. That’s almost supercar performance. What other stock BMWs are faster than that?

I’m bummed out for you man. I don’t experience any of the things you are talking about. At least I don’t think I do. This is the best car I’ve ever owned by far. Now granted I’ve never owned a 911 or a McLaren so there’s that.

As unhappy as you seem you should definitely get rid of the car. You should be able to get all your money back easily and just start over. I can tell you this though my buddie‘s brand-new M2 CS is not even close to it as fast as my M3. Not even kind of close. Anyway good luck brother. At least you’re not going to lose money on it. That’s the awesome part.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 09:05 PM   #103
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:
My xdrive goes 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds. That's almost supercar performance. What other stock BMWs are faster than that?

I'm bummed out for you man. I don't experience any of the things you are talking about. At least I don't think I do. This is the best car I've ever owned by far. Now granted I've never owned a 911 or a McLaren so there's that.

As unhappy as you seem you should definitely get rid of the car. You should be able to get all your money back easily and just start over. I can tell you this though my buddie's brand-new M2 CS is not even close to it as fast as my M3. Not even kind of close. Anyway good luck brother. At least you're not going to lose money on it. That's the awesome part.
I've been offered $110K for it so far. The car is fantastic if you let it shift but should you want to use the paddles the experience sours quickly. Don't get me wrong I love the car but I don't think I can get past that part. Waiting on the dealer to get back with me on my GTS
Appreciate 1
Patton2502936.50
      01-24-2022, 09:12 PM   #104
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
I've been offered $110K for it so far. The car is fantastic if you let it shift but should you want to use the paddles the experience sours quickly. Don't get me wrong I love the car but I don't think I can get past that part. Waiting on the dealer to get back with me on my GTS
Mine paddle shifts awesome. At least to my 100% satisfaction. My only complaints about this car are the stock exhaust sound, stock offsets and the fact that it needs to be lowered to look better. Driving performance including the shifting is magnificent. But then again I hate DCT after about 15 minutes. Don’t get me wrong it’s fun at first but it gets old. The new transmission in the G 80 is perfect for me. I wanna race car that you can turn into a family car with the push of a button and then back to a race car. With DCT it’s always a race car. This car is over a full second faster 0 to 60 then its predecessor. That’s some amazing progress. Bad ass on the 110 K. I hope you get it. It’s about time we actually can make money off of cars after losing money on them for decades. Well done my friend. :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 10:40 AM   #105
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Mine paddle shifts awesome. At least to my 100% satisfaction. My only complaints about this car are the stock exhaust sound, stock offsets and the fact that it needs to be lowered to look better. Driving performance including the shifting is magnificent. But then again I hate DCT after about 15 minutes. Don’t get me wrong it’s fun at first but it gets old. The new transmission in the G 80 is perfect for me. I wanna race car that you can turn into a family car with the push of a button and then back to a race car. With DCT it’s always a race car. This car is over a full second faster 0 to 60 then its predecessor. That’s some amazing progress. Bad ass on the 110 K. I hope you get it. It’s about time we actually can make money off of cars after losing money on them for decades. Well done my friend. :-)

The exhaust isn't bad or great, but I can see why some people wouldn't like it. I love the feeling of a DCT, the harsh shifting never got old and always put a smile on my face. I am waiting on the dealer to put everything firmly on paper, to me it doesn't matter as long as I either get their price where I want it or mine up to counter. The market is nuts right now, MMR on my car is at $100K to give you an idea and the MSRP was $99,930 on it. I will keep everyone updated, nothing's done until things are signed so I'm cautiously optimistic.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:14 AM   #106
superbrew
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx

Quote:
There does seem to be some latency in the paddle click to the actual shift. The first 4-5 shift seems slow as well, the others seem quick enough. I think the issue here is that latency, not the actual transmission shift time.
I have both an X3M40 and an M3x, and the M3x is noticeably more snappy than the X3. Not DCT snappy, but seems to be better than what you posted.

Good luck getting this sorted.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2022, 11:30 AM   #107
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Quote:

I totally get what you mean....I drove the xdrive M3 of a friend of mine, the ZF is a let down (in my opinion). not close comparable to DCT, altough I like that it's pretty smooth the ZF.

What I want to say:
Alfa also is capable of giving some drama to the ZF, why is BMW not capable ?
Of course it's never going to be a DCT, but still...give me some goddamn drama i want to feel i'm sitting in an M car.

That's why I have plenty of fun with the MT, altough the power difference is immense and you feel it but it still gives fun and engagement.
Appreciate 2
kjx3162.50
      01-26-2022, 09:00 AM   #108
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
I totally get what you mean....I drove the xdrive M3 of a friend of mine, the ZF is a let down (in my opinion). not close comparable to DCT, altough I like that it's pretty smooth the ZF.

What I want to say:
Alfa also is capable of giving some drama to the ZF, why is BMW not capable ?
Of course it's never going to be a DCT, but still...give me some goddamn drama i want to feel i'm sitting in an M car.

That's why I have plenty of fun with the MT, altough the power difference is immense and you feel it but it still gives fun and engagement.
I agree, Alfa knows how to create drama from the ZF8, BMW certainly could do the same if they wanted to. The G8X doesn't have the same ///M car feel of years prior in that sense. I still love mine but I feel very let down by the transmission. I held off commenting on this issue for a while to be sure it was an issue and to give the car a chance to get get some miles on it.

The deal with my GTS fell through, they pulled back their offer to $100K on my M3. I said that's fine, there are more cars out there and I have plenty of time to find another one. I will keep everyone updated as to how things progress and if BMW NA decides to ever address this issue while I have the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbrew View Post
There does seem to be some latency in the paddle click to the actual shift. The first 4-5 shift seems slow as well, the others seem quick enough. I think the issue here is that latency, not the actual transmission shift time.
I have both an X3M40 and an M3x, and the M3x is noticeably more snappy than the X3. Not DCT snappy, but seems to be better than what you posted.

Good luck getting this sorted.
It could be my car, but it's hard to say. The issue occurs only when using the gear lever or paddles in "Sequential mode" (S3) ie when it won't upshift for you. There's a chance the engine and transmission are culprits but the only want to know is by doing a deep dive into their software which is not my expertise.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 09:20 AM   #109
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Quote:
My xdrive goes 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds. That's almost supercar performance. What other stock BMWs are faster than that?

I'm bummed out for you man. I don't experience any of the things you are talking about. At least I don't think I do. This is the best car I've ever owned by far. Now granted I've never owned a 911 or a McLaren so there's that.

As unhappy as you seem you should definitely get rid of the car. You should be able to get all your money back easily and just start over. I can tell you this though my buddie's brand-new M2 CS is not even close to it as fast as my M3. Not even kind of close. Anyway good luck brother. At least you're not going to lose money on it. That's the awesome part.
Sometimes it's not about speed and many people don't get that.

Most of us are looking to the ///M division to create a car with soul , passion & "drama" which translates into an euphoric driving experience.

My 22' model S is a rocket and I take off into space every time I launch it , but it's still a soulless POS lol

Just a great safe family car with all the tech you could want , and that's exactly why I bought it.

I ordered an M3 for obviously all the different reasons.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2022, 03:04 PM   #110
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Quote:
I agree, Alfa knows how to create drama from the ZF8, BMW certainly could do the same if they wanted to. The G8X doesn't have the same ///M car feel of years prior in that sense. I still love mine but I feel very let down by the transmission. I held off commenting on this issue for a while to be sure it was an issue and to give the car a chance to get get some miles on it.

The deal with my GTS fell through, they pulled back their offer to $100K on my M3. I said that's fine, there are more cars out there and I have plenty of time to find another one. I will keep everyone updated as to how things progress and if BMW NA decides to ever address this issue while I have the car.

It could be my car, but it's hard to say. The issue occurs only when using the gear lever or paddles in "Sequential mode" (S3) ie when it won't upshift for you. There's a chance the engine and transmission are culprits but the only want to know is by doing a deep dive into their software which is not my expertise.
They offered you 100k for the M3 and you did not take it?
Appreciate 0