BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-14-2021, 07:33 PM   #1
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ix

Interested In Comments From Anyone Who Went From An F82 To A G82 M4

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts comparing the two. I'm debating which to buy. Thanks very much for any help.
Appreciate 2
hamzag20557.00
      10-14-2021, 10:20 PM   #2
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

The tech and interior quality is night and day different between the 2. If you get in a G82 and then go to the F82 it feels like you stepped back into the 80's.

I prefer the ZF over the DCT. There is no bucking at low speeds when you try and accelerate and as a daily driver I much prefer an automatic. The auto hold button is also very handy for being stopped at lights.

You can make your own decisions on the design/appearance. I very much miss the power dome hood to give the car a more aggressive stance. As much as the grilles are not the design I'd have picked they do look much better in person. I like the wheel options much better on the G82.

They both drive great. Both stiff and sporty with plenty of acceleration. I do think the G82 sounds better in sports mode.
Appreciate 2
Remington307.50
Poochie9104.50
      10-14-2021, 11:39 PM   #3
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
The tech and interior quality is night and day different between the 2. If you get in a G82 and then go to the F82 it feels like you stepped back into the 80's.

I prefer the ZF over the DCT. There is no bucking at low speeds when you try and accelerate and as a daily driver I much prefer an automatic. The auto hold button is also very handy for being stopped at lights.

You can make your own decisions on the design/appearance. I very much miss the power dome hood to give the car a more aggressive stance. As much as the grilles are not the design I'd have picked they do look much better in person. I like the wheel options much better on the G82.

They both drive great. Both stiff and sporty with plenty of acceleration. I do think the G82 sounds better in sports mode.
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. And thank you also, as I had hoped to keep commentary on appearance out of this discussion. In the end, I care about the quality of the car, and how it drives and performs.

I echo your thoughts concerning the transmission. I had not previously realized that they had switched out the DCT automatic for the ZF.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 12:02 AM   #4
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

The question at the moment, is, at current used prices, is the G82 worth $20-25k more than a pristine, low mileage certified F82?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 06:53 AM   #5
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

I had the F80 2 cars ago and now have a G80. I will agree with that the interior of the G8X is way more advanced then that of the F8X.

It’s also a beast, but much more refined then the F80. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

I wish it was a bit louder, but you can always address that aftermarket.

I’m not a used car guy so to me there’s no decision between a CPO F8X and a G8X.
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2021, 06:58 AM   #6
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I was originally looking at F80's but ended up with a G80 because I felt the second hand market was such bad value. Also Your buying an F82 at a ridiculous second hand premium at the moment that won't last forever. Most of the cars have been modified/driven hard and coming towards the end of warranty.

To me the new car represents much better value over all. Full warranty, new tech, you know it has no history or been driven hard and trashed for a few years by someone else.

G8x sounds better, has much better traction and is a better car undoubtedly. I know we are not comparing the looks of the cars but from my view, the F80
Is a very nice design, beautiful in fact!! but it's starting to look dated along side the newer generations when you see them side by side. Not a bad thing to look dated especially with a beautiful design but the car looks every bit of its age, 2015/2016 design
Appreciate 5
      10-15-2021, 07:10 AM   #7
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
I was originally looking at F80's but ended up with a G80 because I felt the second hand market was such bad value. Also Your buying an F82 at a ridiculous second hand premium at the moment that won't last forever.
^^This. I was searching for an F80 for 3 months. Made more sense to order the new car with the current used car pricing.
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2021, 09:45 AM   #8
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
I went.. '16 F82 > '18 F80 Comp > '20 F92 Comp > '22 G82 Comp AWD. I don't have my car yet, but I am looking forward to it after the F92. The M8 is very fast (in a straight line) and very luxurious, but I just didn't have that much fun driving it.
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2021, 10:06 AM   #9
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

The F8x is much more raw than the G8x. The lack of rear end traction is very apparent in the F80 where the backend can step out somewhat unexpectedly in certain situations. You definitely have to be delicate with the throttle in the F80 when near the edge of traction. The G80 feels much more planted with the ability to rotate the car on demand with the throttle. The G80 also has much better turn in/front end grip as well. The F80 is also louder inside and not just motor noise. It has more tire roar, transmission noise, etc. The electronics are the difference of an iPhone 3 to an iPhone 13.

In general I would say it is not unreasonable to consider the F80 as a weekend car since it has more personality. Honestly though, as a weekend car I would be more likely to choose an E90 since it is the last of the high revving V8's and is even more connected to the driver. For a daily driver G80 all the way. BMW nailed the performance vs comfort balance perfectly. The only reason to go F80 as a daily would be based on cost and in this market there is not enough of a price difference to justify buying used.
Appreciate 4
Remington307.50
W///7488.00
      10-15-2021, 10:32 AM   #10
rmmiii
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 m3 competition

Garage List
Read the article in road and track from like 2 days ago online. They go through every generation of m3/m4.

I owned a '15 m4. I traded it for a '21 m3 competition. No regrets. I have driven the new car on the track once so far.

Suspension: both more forgiving on the road and more capable on the track.

Grip: new car, despite being heavier, grips better / feels like it does, perhaps because of the power delivery comment below. Maybe also because it absorbs curbing better.

Engine: old car was more of a handful - the back end was lively. New car is a lot easier to put the power down. And my lap times are materially faster with only 30 min on track with new car.

Creature comforts - bmw had 7 years to modernize. Generally newer is better. I do rue the loss of my manual, but, I drive in traffic some and after one day on the track, there is still plenty of work for me to get better at the right line and braking and rolling into the power.
Appreciate 3
Remington307.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
      10-15-2021, 04:01 PM   #11
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO-BMW View Post
The question at the moment, is, at current used prices, is the G82 worth $20-25k more than a pristine, low mileage certified F82?
I would say, "Yes", having come from an F82.

The G82 is a big step forward in comfort, tech and outright, usable performance on the street.

I'm on a long fall trip as we speak, left my home state of Maryland, drove through PA to Cleveland, and then from here I'm headed to the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee for an event next weekend...and I'm taking primarily back roads to get there, including the Hocking Hills Loop.

Already though, just from my journey on back roads to Cleveland through PA, I was simply blown away at how comfortable, quiet, smooth, yet thrilling the G82 is. It's a helluva package, and I think a clear step up from the F82.

The F82 is also a fun car to push hard through country roads, but the G82 takes it up notch...which is mindboggling to me given its size.

What do I miss from the F82?

1. The thrilling experience of the DCT when you're really pushing it. The DCT just makes the tranny/engine combo feel more alive. The ZF gets the job done 95% of the time, and is much better during normal driving, but the DCT adds to the excitement (it brings some drama to the experience). The ZF occasionally smooths out the gear change a bit too much, and sometimes, there's even a slight delay (there's a reason that autos get the nickname "slush box"). I never felt that way in the DCT. And truth be told, I thought the F82 DCT was fine in normal traffic, because the F82 is way more smooth than the E9X's DCT. So I rather enjoyed the DCT in the F82, at all speeds (it's all relative).

2. The tech is better in the G82, but I think my stereo in the F82 was a bit crisper and louder.

3. That's it.

So, all things considered, I'd much rather have my G82 than my F82, and I look forward to my visit to the Tail next weekend, and if I'm lucky, I'm driving my G82 across country next year, experiencing all the national parks I've always wanted to go to.

And this morning, after breakfast, I walk out to my car, and there's 2 older ladies who were slowly circling my car and pointing. It turns out it was a mother and daughter (mom likely in her 70's, daughter looking like 60's, they looked like sisters to me ).

And when they saw me approach, they said, "Is this your car?" And so it began. Daughter had an X5 a while ago, but was now driving a new Volvo, though she still knew a lot about BMWs. And Mom knew a lot about cars in general, surprisingly. And then I opened the door for them to see the interior, with the full silverstone. And they just gawked. The daughter sat in the driver's side, and was just blown away.

It ended up being 20 minutes of BMW and car conversation with 2 female car enthusiasts, and ultimately, the Mom said, "I think this is the best looking BMW I've ever seen, my goodness."

Love it or hate it, the G8X stops some people in their tracks.

Last edited by KevinGS; 10-15-2021 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 8
Remington307.50
barryc3651956.00
Salespunk1745.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
amzbimmer299.50
ottm354.00
yousefnjr6157.50
      10-15-2021, 05:21 PM   #12
Remington
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 SSG M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post

The G82 is a big step forward in comfort, tech and outright, usable performance on the street.

I'm on a long fall trip as we speak, left my home state of Maryland, drove through PA to Cleveland, and then from here I'm headed to the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee for an event next weekend...and I'm taking primarily back roads to get there, including the Hocking Hills Loop.

Already though, just from my journey on back roads to Cleveland through PA, I was simply blown away at how comfortable, quiet, smooth, yet thrilling the G82 is. It's a helluva package, and I think a clear step up from the F82.

The F82 is also a fun car to push hard through country roads, but the G82 takes it up notch...which is mindboggling to me given its size.

1. The thrilling experience of the DCT when you're really pushing it. The DCT just makes the tranny/engine combo feel more alive. The ZF gets the job done 95% of the time, and is much better during normal driving, but the DCT adds to the excitement (it brings some drama to the experience). The ZF occasionally smooths out the gear change a bit too much, and sometimes, there's even a slight delay (there's a reason that autos get the nickname "slush box"). I never felt that way in the DCT. And truth be told, I thought the F82 DCT was fine in normal traffic, because the F82 is way more smooth than the E9X's DCT. So I rather enjoyed the DCT in the F82, at all speeds (it's all relative).

2. The tech is better in the G82, but I think my stereo in the F82 was a bit crisper and louder.

3. That's it.

So, all things considered, I'd much rather have my G82 than my F82, and I look forward to my visit to the Tail next weekend, and if I'm lucky, I'm driving my G82 across country next year, experiencing all the national parks I've always wanted to go to.

And this morning, after breakfast, I walk out to my car, and there's 2 older ladies who were slowly circling my car and pointing. It turns out it was a mother and daughter (mom likely in her 70's, daughter looking like 60's, they looked like sisters to me ).

And when they saw me approach, they said, "Is this your car?" And so it began. Daughter had an X5 a while ago, but was now driving a new Volvo, though she still knew a lot about BMWs. And Mom knew a lot about cars in general, surprisingly. And then I opened the door for them to see the interior, with the full silverstone. And they just gawked. The daughter sat in the driver's side, and was just blown away.

It ended up being 20 minutes of BMW and car conversation with 2 female car enthusiasts, and ultimately, the Mom said, "I think this is the best looking BMW I've ever seen, my goodness."

Since you're visiting east Tennessee, check out the Cherohala Skyway. It's a great ride.
      10-15-2021, 06:08 PM   #13
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
Quote:

3. That's it.

Since you're visiting east Tennessee, check out the Cherohala Skyway. It's a great ride.
I'm meeting the Rennsport Porsche guys down there, an event hosted by a local. It's 3 days of driving all over the Smokey & Blue Ridge Mountains. Cherhola is definitely on the list of a long list of back, country roads. Driving nirvana, to say the least. Can't wait, which is why I'm driving there from Cleveland.
13mm spacers all around, painted the rear udder, front LEDs added
Revaton Front Lip, Burger Motorsports air intake, OLED tails
Appreciate 1
Remington307.50
      10-15-2021, 10:02 PM   #14
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

After owning two F82 and then the G82, I wound up with an F80 after about two months of ownership and I haven't missed the G82 a single day.

The only thing I liked about the G82 were the carbon seats. Yes it was faster, but it was nowhere near as fun to drive as the F82 to me. I couldn't get past the looks, and absolutely nobody cared about the car. I was a rockstar in my modded YMB F82 Comp, constant waves, honks, pointing, people asking me about the car, etc. Only younger people even gave the G82 a second look, I was completely invisible in the G82 which I didn't like as I enjoy using cars as a conversation piece with random people. The car had ZERO road presence, it looks nothing like a hunkered down F8x bulldog.

Not saying it wasn't a good car, it was, but the F8x to me personally is the far more fun and better looking vehicle. Back in an F80 now, and once again feedback from people is incredible. I get more "nice car" and assorted compliments on the F80 in one day than two entire months with the G82. With KW V3s installed as well, it's just a little go kart and I love it. I also don't get all the comments about the G82 having a far superior interior. Outside the carbon seats, I prefer the interior of the F8x. I hate digital gauges too, give me the F8x dials all day long. I also really hated looking at the mirrors while driving the G82. Coming from the F8x with their gorgeous side mirrors which are just perfection, the mirrors on the G82 reminded me of something from a big diesel truck. They're just terrible, and it would be nice if a company like Vorsteiner or the like made replacements which more resemble those from the F8x and not some blocky things that look like a tacked on afterthought.

The one big plus for the G82 outside the extra power is the grip. The car grips like a monster, coming from the F8x cars that's the very first thing you'll notice while driving in anger. But again, personally I didn't like that. I like a car that is rough in comparison, and again to me the F8x is just more fun. The G82 is a computer, a faster, better, more capable driving car. To me however the fun is lost, and the looks......well never mind hah.
Attached Images

Last edited by NickyC; 10-15-2021 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 7
///AVM2529.50
Mavus2029.50
BBm310.50
Scorp!on1511.50
RickMonet174.50
      10-16-2021, 12:41 AM   #15
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Really appreciate everyone's input and perspective. It's extremely helpful in my decision making process. Thanks VERY much for your thoughts, as drivers of both cars.

I'm not sure if I completely agree on the used car prices for F82's being all that high in what I've been looking at though, but, as always, it depends. As an example, and it was a particularly good buy, I just missed out on a Certified 2018 with 19k miles on it, near mint condition, with competition package, executive package, m-drivers package, full leather, ceramic brakes, and just about every available option, for $58k. The car isn't even three years old yet, and stickered at over $90k. It was also being sold by the dealer the owner had originally purchased it from, who had handled all service on the vehicle. And had no mods. Had I not been too late, I would have grabbed it up in a minute.
Based on your provided experience, It's clear that the G82 is the better car, but used ones are running $85-98k! Thats a massive price difference over the $58k, Certified F82 I mentioned.

Oh well, maybe I can wait a bit and grab a used G82 when prices drop further, say in 12-18 months. I had not planned on waiting that long, but that car may be worth it. Until then, I've got a two month old Honda Type R, that I bought to use as an interim vehicle while I nail down the perfect M car purchase. And, it costs me nothing beyond oil and gas to drive it, as I can sell it in eighteen months for what I paid for it. Not to mention, dollar for dollar, I don't think anything can compete with it in terms of performance. So, I may just wait it out until I can get exactly the lightly used G82 that I want, at the price I want.

Thanks so much, again, for your thoughts on this.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17475.00
      10-16-2021, 12:43 AM   #16
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmiii View Post
Read the article in road and track from like 2 days ago online. They go through every generation of m3/m4.

I owned a '15 m4. I traded it for a '21 m3 competition. No regrets. I have driven the new car on the track once so far.

Suspension: both more forgiving on the road and more capable on the track.

Grip: new car, despite being heavier, grips better / feels like it does, perhaps because of the power delivery comment below. Maybe also because it absorbs curbing better.

Engine: old car was more of a handful - the back end was lively. New car is a lot easier to put the power down. And my lap times are materially faster with only 30 min on track with new car.

Creature comforts - bmw had 7 years to modernize. Generally newer is better. I do rue the loss of my manual, but, I drive in traffic some and after one day on the track, there is still plenty of work for me to get better at the right line and braking and rolling into the power.
I didjust read the brand new Road and Track article. Very interesting comparison, and I agreed with their thoughts on the E36 M3, and E46 M3 that I owned. And given how they raved about the G82, it certainly did start me thinking.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 12:57 AM   #17
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

One additional question. The fact that the G82 with the competition package (which for me is a must have) now includes, as the only option, the ZF trans, and has dropped the former highly rated dual clutch trans seems like a big dropoff. And none of the reviews liked the trans.

I would appreciate any additional input on this. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 05:27 AM   #18
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
One additional question. The fact that the G82 with the competition package (which for me is a must have) now includes, as the only option, the ZF trans, and has dropped the former highly rated dual clutch trans seems like a big dropoff. And none of the reviews liked the trans.

I would appreciate any additional input on this. Thanks.
My $.02...well, maybe $.25

Occasionally, I miss the drama and outright swiftness of the DCT. But it's not often.

First, the quality of the shifts of the new ZF in the G8X is relative to what you're used to. If you're coming from a tranny like the Mercedes automatic, the ZF will be fine. They're quite similar in speed and feel (though I think the G8X ZF is a tad quicker). If you're coming from a DCT or PDK or something like that, you'll notice the difference, in absolute directness and in the feel. The ZF is just smoother, everywhere, though it can still get a little jerky in its most aggressive settings with the throttle on max sensitivity. In this way, it can still "feel" like a DCT. But in attack mode, the ZF just smooths everything out. On a track, trying to maximize your time, this is actually an advantage most times. However, the ZF can't match the utter thrills of the DCT: the abruptness, aggressiveness and utter speed of the downshift, and that slight surge/push that could occur the millisecond after the kick down. The ZF mostly just smooths all that out.

Since the car is immensely powerful, you don't miss the post-shift surge as much, as there's serious power everywhere in the rev band once the car is rolling. But, again, you may occasionally miss the utter drama, crispness and swiftness of the DCT.

Thus, ultimately, like in the Mercedes, the ZF doesn't take away from the driving experience, it simply doesn't add to it. The DCT adds to the overall driving experience in the F8X and even more so in the E9X...

...which is why, as I've said before here in the forums, I think the G8X platform is a whole different M experience than in year's past. It's borderline a GT car now, with a whole lot of moxie when you need or want it. But, you can't disguise the weight and size of the vehicle. It fast and agile as hell, but it's lost some nimbleness because you always have to account for its weight and size when entering a corner, especially a narrow corner with a tight apex...though admittedly this is less of an issue on a track (which is why the G8X is likely immensely fun on a track, can't wait to track mine in 2022). On public roads, even desolate ones, you really have to be careful with the throttle if you have the traction control off. I really don't see any reason to turn it off though, because the way the engineers designed the grip coupled with the traction aids is truly remarkable, and I have the RWD. MDM lets you have a little fun without the car getting utterly sideways...though on some tighter country roads, a little slip on a car this big could still mean DOOM. Drivers beware.

For me, the grownup G8X is the exact experience I wanted. I drive, A LOT, many long road trips already planned, and if I'm lucky, my G82 will drive from coast-to-coast next year. It's the perfect car for me for that kind of a trip. Comfortable, with all the latest tech to keep me safe and engaged (it even asks me if I'm tired and need a break - "not yet, but thank you for asking, and yes, please remind me later" ). And it's a serious performance car for all the lonely country roads I hope to encounter as I travel from town to town and park to park.

I've experienced the F8X platform, and I never really fell in love with its driving experience (but I did with how it looked ). But many did fall in love with it. And those that have, they should just keep their F8Xs. That experience is not replicated in the G8X, it's an entirely different one from my perspective. I did fall in love with my E93, and I'm keeping it, likely forever. So I'm fortunate, because I can still have the utterly visceral experience with my E93, which I have also taken on many trips (130,000 miles and counting). No other M3 will sound as good as the S65.

Is the new G8X worth a $30k or $40k over a well-kept, late-model F8X? Probably not, if you like the way an F82 drives, sounds and looks (especially since they can be tuned to 650+ hp so F8Xs can be extremely fast and fun). But that's not really the question. Hec, I don't think a 911 GT3 is 60%-70% better than a Carrera S, and I KNOW it's not 60% better than a Cayman GT4, not on the road (you'd have to be tracking the car every month to really feel the maximum delta between the GT3s and their brethren). But I still prefer the GT3 over the GT4 and the Carrera S, and would get one if I had the chance.

Value-wise, the F82 is a hecuva deal at $50k-$60k. Though if you're find with the basic G8X platform, you can get one in the low $80ks before a lot of options are piled on, so the spread could be just $20k. But you have to do your own value proposition. Most of us would own Lambos, McClarens and Ferraris, and no, they are not 3 and 4 times more capable than a G8X or F8X, but we don't care. We're car enthusiasts, so we're an irrational bunch from the start. We, The Car Crazies, we seriously consider replacing a single HVAC vent with a C/F one, simply to add more carbon fiber to the cabin, for $400!!! So don't ask us for advice on value...because if any of us really cared about money, we wouldn't be spending it on a depreciating, sporty, luxury appliance (coupled with thousands of dollars of mods on top of that! )

The G8X is not for everyone, and neither was the F8X, nor the E9X. {The E46 M3 manual, just about everyone loved, for good reason. } So, get the one that fits your budget, need and desire. You can't go wrong with any of them if you're simply looking for thrills in a practical package. The M engineers know how to turn any basic 3 series into something truly special.

And oh yeah, back on topic, yes, I do miss the DCT, occasionally, like maybe 10% of the time when I feel that aggressive though smoothed-out down- or upshift, reminding me that I'm no longer in a dual clutch tranny. But it's certainly not enough to want an F8X instead. The G8X's immense power and its delivery makes up for the shortcomings of the ZF. But you can always get an F8X tuned to 700hp, marrying massive power with the DCT. You decide. It's your money. You have options.

Last edited by KevinGS; 10-17-2021 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 5
bri10425934.00
amzbimmer299.50
W///7488.00
Puuhapete145.00
      10-16-2021, 12:57 PM   #19
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Out early this (Saturday) morning when the common roadways tend to be pretty wide open

F82 pulled up next to me at stop light . . . before I continued straight and he turned left

Exchanged the usual thumbs-up between Bimmer owners

I sense we were both content with what we owned . . . at least I know that to be true in my case

That stated, not sure there is a car on the road I like more than the F82 when it comes to design architecture and road presence . . . BMW architects knocked it out of the ballpark with the F82 (and F80).

BMW engineers knocked it out of the park with the G80/82 performance.

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 10-16-2021 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
W///7488.00
      10-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #20
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My $.02...well, maybe $.25

Occasionally, I miss the drama and outright swiftness of the DCT. But it's not often.

First, the quality of the shifts of the new ZF in the G8X is relative to what you're used to. If you're coming from a tranny like the Mercedes automatic, the ZF will be fine. They're quite similar in speed and feel (though I think the G8X ZF is a tad quicker). If you're coming from a DCT or PDK or something like that, you'll notice the difference, in absolute directness and in the feel. The ZF is just smoother, everywhere, though it can still get a little jerky in its most aggressive settings with the throttle on max sensitivity. In this way, it can still "feel" like a DCT. But in attack mode, the ZF just smooths everything out. On a track, trying to maximize your time, this is actually an advantage most times. However, the ZF can't match the utter thrills of the DCT: the abruptness, aggressiveness and utter speed of the downshift, and that slight surge/push that could occur the millisecond after the kick down. The ZF mostly just smooths all that out.

Since the car is immensely powerful, you don't miss the post-shift surge as much, as there's serious power everywhere in the rev band once the car is rolling. But, you will occasionally miss the utter drama, crispness and swiftness of the DCT.

Thus, ultimately, like in the Mercedes, the ZF doesn't take away from the driving experience, it simply doesn't add to it. The DCT adds to the overall driving experience in the F8X and even more so in the E9X.

...which is why, as I've said before here in the forums, I think the G8X platform is a whole different M experience than in year's past. It's borderline a GT car now, with a whole lot of moxie when you need or want it. But, you can't disguise the weight and size of the vehicle. It fast and agile as hell, but it's lost some nimbleness because you always have to account for its weight and size...less of an issue on a track (which is why the G8X is likely immensely fun on a track, can't wait to track mine in 2022). On public roads, even desolate ones, you really have to be careful with the throttle if you have the traction control off. I really don't see any reason to turn it off though, because the way the engineers designed the grip plus the aids is truly remarkable, and I have the RWD. MDM lets you have a little fun without the car getting utterly sideways...though on some tighter country roads, a little slip on a car this big could still mean DOOM. Drivers beware.

For me, the grownup G8X is the exact experience I wanted. I drive, A LOT, lots of long road trips, and if I'm lucky, my G82 will drive from coast-to-coast next year. It's the perfect car for me for that kind of a trip. Comfortable, with all the latest tech to keep me safe and engaged, and a serious car for all the lonely country roads I hope to encounter as I travel from town to town and park to park.

I've experienced the F8X platform, and I never really fell in love with its driving experience (but I did with how it looked ). But many did fall in love with it. And those that have, they should just keep their F8Xs. That experience is not replicated in the G8X, it's an entirely different one to me. I did fall in love with my E93, and I'm keeping it, likely forever. So I'm fortunate, because I can still have the utterly visceral experience with my E93, which I have also taken on many trips (130,000 miles and counting). No other M3 will sound as good as the S65.

Is the new G8X worth a $30k or $40k over a well-kept, late-model F8X? Probably not, if you like the way an F82 drives, sounds and looks (and they can be tuned to 650+ hp so F8Xs can be extremely fast and fun). But that's not really the question. Hec, I don't think a 911 GT3 is 60%-70% better than a Carrera S, and I KNOW it's not 60% better than a Cayman GT4, not on the road (you'd have to be tracking the car every month to really feel the maximum delta between the GT3s and their brethren). But I still prefer the GT3 over the GT4 and the Carrera S, and would get one if I had the chance.

Value-wise, the F82 is a hecuva deal at $50k-$60k. Though if you're find with the basic G8X platform, you can get one in the low $80ks before a lot of options are piled on. But you have to do your own value proposition. Most of us would own Lambos, McClarens and Ferraris, and no, they are not 3 and 4 times more capable than a G8X or F8X, but we don't care. We're car enthusiasts, so we're an irrational bunch from the start. We seriously consider replacing an HVAC vent to add more carbon fiber to the cabin, for $450!!! So don't ask us for advice on value...because if any of us really cared about money, we wouldn't be spending it on a depreciating, sporty, luxury appliance.

The G8X is not for everyone, and neither was the F8X, nor the E9X. {The E46 M3 manual, just about everyone loved, for good reason. } So, get the one that fits your budget, need and desire. You can't go wrong with any of them if you're simply looking for thrills in a practical package. The M engineers know how to turn any basic 3 series into something truly special.

And oh yeah, I do miss the DCT, occasionally, like 5% of the time when I feel that aggressive though smoothed-out down- or upshift, reminding me that I'm no longer in a dual clutch tranny. But it's certainly not enough to want an F8X instead. The G8X's immense power and its delivery makes up for the shortcomings of the ZF. But you can always get an F8X tuned to 700hp, marrying power with the DCT. You decide. It's your money. You have options.
Thanks so much for the outstanding commentary on this. You've provided me a great deal of valuable insight. Really appreciate you taking the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 02:40 PM   #21
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Here is the exact car, as I would want to option it. $92k, which is way out of budget. But, in 16-18 months, I would expect one optioned like this should be available for likely $75k, and I locate the right car and grab it!

M4 Competition Coupe
Isle Of Man Green paint
Executive package
full leather, ventilated seats (not paying $3500.00 more for the carbon fiber buckets, which are less comfortable anyway).

Would include a picture but can't find a way to do that. The attachment requires a URL, and I can't locate a standalone photo. But you get the idea.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 02:44 PM   #22
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Here is the exact car, as I would want to option it. $92k, which is way out of budget. But, in 16-18 months, I would expect one optioned like this should be available for likely $75k, and I locate the right car and grab it!

M4 Competition Coupe
Isle Of Man Green paint
Executive package
full leather, ventilated seats (not paying $3500.00 more for the carbon fiber buckets, which are less comfortable anyway).

Would include a picture but can't find a way to do that. The attachment requires a URL, and I can't locate a standalone photo. But you get the idea.
The used car market is insane right now, and it’ll most likely continue for another 18+ months. I wouldn’t expect prices to be that low in that time, it may be more like $85k+
Appreciate 0