BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-09-2021, 04:21 PM   #45
JosipZ
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 Xdrive Dravit Grey

I can honestly say from the bottom of my heart this is the first car I have owned without any rattle noises. Close second was my 2015 M6.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 06:16 PM   #46
merlin3008
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Want to know what car rattles like you wouldnt believe? My Tesla MY. I love driving this car but man is the build quality crap.
2016 M235i xdrive, Alpine White, Terra Leather, Orbit Gray Wheels (Sold)
Appreciate 1
nathanm4682.00
      12-17-2021, 06:31 PM   #47
Delmoney335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM G80 comp

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Starting to get a plastic rattle/creaking in the cupholder and wireless charging area. It happens randomly but can get quite loud.
      12-19-2021, 08:42 PM   #48
GaoKS
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmy View Post

When you purchase a BMW, you kinda just expect them to rattle / squeak tbh. I've dealt with this shit in every single BMW i've ever owned and even in the loaners.
+1. Every single BMW I've owned has had rattles. Some had many. The quietest BMW I've had was my F10 535i which only has the infamous BMW rear deck rattle.

Quietest car we've owned in recent times is a 30k accord sport.

Unfortunately, I fully expect my G80 to be loud as hell when it arrives. But that's what an exhaust is for.

BMW Past Rides: 2023 G80 Comp, 2023 G80 xDrive, 2021 M3 Comp, 2020 M340i, 2019 540i, 2016 M4, 2016 535i, 2008 545i
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 12:39 PM   #49
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp AWD IOMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaoKS View Post
+1. Every single BMW I've owned has had rattles. Some had many. The quietest BMW I've had was my F10 535i which only has the infamous BMW rear deck rattle.

Unfortunately, I fully expect my G80 to be loud as hell when it arrives. But that's what an exhaust is for.
It really is just kind of embarrassing and shitty for a brand. I've had it happen in literally so many BMWs and loaners (brand new loaners included) that I have a hard time believing people that say theirs have no noise, and am more inclined to believe that they're not as sensitive to them as we are.

Mine is at 1850 miles now and there's an annoying rattle / buzzing happening near the driver side door and around the wheel / center area. And of course every time you bring it up and have them try to fix it it could open up a can of worms and cause other noises elsewhere, so i'm trying to ignore it as much as I can. Just fucking sucks lol. Like clockwork this shit happens with BMWs.

edit: But to your point, yes the aggressive sound and exhaust do make up for it and I try to have my volume louder anyways so it's not as big of an issue. Enjoy this beast when it comes in!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 04:06 PM   #50
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Man reading this has me nervous. My e36 had some annoying rattles, and my e85 only does with the top up. X7 and i3 have none at all. Assumed that all the modern cars were OK but sounds like that isn’t the case. Crossing fingers here.
      12-29-2021, 03:27 PM   #51
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by portimaoblue_g80 View Post
All that needs to be said is this, I love my G80 M3, but it's a rattling mess right now. In addition to the microphone grille above the rear view mirror vibrating really bad, there are a lot of rattles coming from the rear somewhere and I can't figure out where specifically it's coming from. Is anyone else having similar issues?
10K miles over 9 months (2021 G80 6MT) and there was a very small creak by the AC/screen area at first but that seemed to go away. It no longer happens. No other unwelcome noises.

Added: I hear everything in a car when I'm in it. Every car, every time. That pen jiggling in the rear passenger door? It's getting put away at the next gas station if I have anything to say about it. there's no chance I'm not hearing creaks and rattles in my new car.

YMMV but none of my 3 BMW's (2008 & 2014 3's and 2021 M3) have been noisy cars.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2021, 03:31 PM   #52
portimaoblue_g80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaoKS View Post

It really is just kind of embarrassing and shitty for a brand. I've had it happen in literally so many BMWs and loaners (brand new loaners included) that I have a hard time believing people that say theirs have no noise, and am more inclined to believe that they're not as sensitive to them as we are.

Mine is at 1850 miles now and there's an annoying rattle / buzzing happening near the driver side door and around the wheel / center area. And of course every time you bring it up and have them try to fix it it could open up a can of worms and cause other noises elsewhere, so i'm trying to ignore it as much as I can. Just fucking sucks lol. Like clockwork this shit happens with BMWs.

edit: But to your point, yes the aggressive sound and exhaust do make up for it and I try to have my volume louder anyways so it's not as big of an issue. Enjoy this beast when it comes in!
I was feeling the same way regarding the first paragraph. I also have the same rattles you are describing. I'm just super OCD when it comes to little rattles and stuff like that in car interiors.
Appreciate 1
dimmy169.00
      12-29-2021, 05:32 PM   #53
Chad11491
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 IOMG M3 6MT

Mine had rattles from the rear deck, the glovebox, and the center console. It was generally only on rough pavement, except for the center console, which was constant.

I’ve used this flocking tape with success for my past 3 cars.

JVCC Flock-1 1/2” width. It’s basically felt tape that’s super thin.

For the rear deck I had my wife feel around while driving and it turned out to be the speaker grilles. I popped those up with a trim tool and put flocking tape on the pieces that clip in. For the center console I put that tape on the area it latches. For the glovebox I put the tape where the two latches go into the holes to latch, and the post under the handle that rests on the actual glovebox since I had rattling from the actual lock piece in the handle.

That fixed all my noises and now I can drive over the roughest of roads with zero creaks/rattles
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2021, 11:51 PM   #54
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad11491 View Post
Mine had rattles from the rear deck, the glovebox, and the center console. It was generally only on rough pavement, except for the center console, which was constant.

I’ve used this flocking tape with success for my past 3 cars.

JVCC Flock-1 1/2” width. It’s basically felt tape that’s super thin.

For the rear deck I had my wife feel around while driving and it turned out to be the speaker grilles. I popped those up with a trim tool and put flocking tape on the pieces that clip in. For the center console I put that tape on the area it latches. For the glovebox I put the tape where the two latches go into the holes to latch, and the post under the handle that rests on the actual glovebox since I had rattling from the actual lock piece in the handle.

That fixed all my noises and now I can drive over the roughest of roads with zero creaks/rattles
Great advice here! I know a lot of dealers use felt tape as well so this could cut out the middle man. So it kinda sounds like for the culprit parts (e.g. speaker grill covers, center console trim) you just used the trim tool to pry them open and applied felt tape around the area where the trim then attaches back to the car. Did the felt tape go on the actual trim pieces that you took out or on the exposed trim on the car itself? And as for the glovebox, it kinda sounds like you didn't have to remove anything but were able to just fudge some felt around the latch points and hide it - is that correct?

If you have a video or any pictures of someone doing this on a comparable car that would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 12:27 AM   #55
thegelka
Rep
Drives: G22 BMW M440i

Quote:
Quote:

I've used this flocking tape with success for my past 3 cars.

JVCC Flock-1 1/2" width. It's basically felt tape that's super thin.

Great advice here! I know a lot of dealers use felt tape as well so this could cut out the middle man. So it kinda sounds like for the culprit parts (e.g. speaker grill covers, center console trim) you just used the trim tool to pry them open and applied felt tape around the area where the trim then attaches back to the car. Did the felt tape go on the actual trim pieces that you took out or on the exposed trim on the car itself? And as for the glovebox, it kinda sounds like you didn't have to remove anything but were able to just fudge some felt around the latch points and hide it - is that correct?

If you have a video or any pictures of someone doing this on a comparable car that would be much appreciated.
Quote:
Quote:

I've used this flocking tape with success for my past 3 cars.

JVCC Flock-1 1/2" width. It's basically felt tape that's super thin.

Yes if you can post a video it will be nice for many
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 02:25 AM   #56
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jproos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by portimaoblue_g80 View Post
All that needs to be said is this, I love my G80 M3, but it's a rattling mess right now. In addition to the microphone grille above the rear view mirror vibrating really bad, there are a lot of rattles coming from the rear somewhere and I can't figure out where specifically it's coming from. Is anyone else having similar issues?
10K miles over 9 months (2021 G80 6MT) and there was a very small creak by the AC/screen area at first but that seemed to go away. It no longer happens. No other unwelcome noises.

Added: I hear everything in a car when I'm in it. Every car, every time. That pen jiggling in the rear passenger door? It's getting put away at the next gas station if I have anything to say about it. there's no chance I'm not hearing creaks and rattles in my new car.

Same.. such a curse
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 12:09 PM   #57
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Well good thing for you that you got lucky three times, with three separate generations of BMWs no less. I'm extremely skeptical but don't feel like you have a reason to lie so will just say you must have gotten unbelievably lucky. I'm glad at least a few people don't have to go through the annoyances.

However, the overwhelming amount of comments point to the contrary

For every person that swears theirs are perfect you'll find a lot more who share the exact same opinions as others - even down to similar places where the rattles, creaks, buzzes, etc originate from.

So from that we can conjure up a hypothetical scenario that for every 10 BMWs produced, 1 will be noise free and 9 will be rattle ridden. So you must have gotten one of those lucky ones every single time for each of those three separate generations which is insanely good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 12:22 PM   #58
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
Same.. such a curse
Careful.. lest the curse be broken and you become one of us
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2021, 01:12 PM   #59
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well good thing for you that you got lucky three times, with three separate generations of BMWs no less. I'm extremely skeptical but don't feel like you have a reason to lie so will just say you must have gotten unbelievably lucky. I'm glad at least a few people don't have to go through the annoyances.

However, the overwhelming amount of comments point to the contrary

For every person that swears theirs are perfect you'll find a lot more who share the exact same opinions as others - even down to similar places where the rattles, creaks, buzzes, etc originate from.

So from that we can conjure up a hypothetical scenario that for every 10 BMWs produced, 1 will be noise free and 9 will be rattle ridden. So you must have gotten one of those lucky ones every single time for each of those three separate generations which is insanely good luck.
That's entirely possible. I can only speak to my own experience. I've never even ridden in someone else's BMW. I only have my own 3 examples to go on but I found them to be excellent and solidly built.

Shortly, I will have my wife's new X3 M40i to add to my experience.

If it helps anyone in any way to get something useful from my opinion, I also have experience with GM's, VW's, and Honda's.

YMMV, of course.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #60
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I once took a drive with a BMW tech to let him hear a rattle and he literally could not hear it. We talked about it and he admitted that his hearing was trashed after 25 years of working in loud garages with all the clangy things n stuff.

Not saying the Jproos has hearing loss of course, but one human's loud annoying noise is another's joyous silence.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 06:03 PM   #61
Sunnystone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

After 5k miles no rattles as yet. Bar the ocassional tapping of the passenger seat belt clip against the back of my CF seats when its not been left correctly but thats a 2 second fix.

But nope nothing from my M3C so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 07:29 PM   #62
mrrm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

Did you figure out how to stop the SOS area from rattling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
Going to join the rattling club. I have this rattle coming from the area where the SOS button is located on the ceiling. It's starting to become really annoying. If I firmly press the surrounding of the SOS button it goes away. I only have 108 miles on the clock. Anyone else has experienced this?
You are not alone.

While it may or may not be related to colder temperatures here, I now have a rattle (when hitting imperfections in the road) that is coming from the SOS button area. When pressing around it, I'm affraid I'll trip the SOS button. lol.

Do you know how to open-up that plastic console without snapping any little parts? Did you try felt in any particular spot?

Many thanks in advance,
Matthew
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 07:46 PM   #63
ashiifi
f82_s55
Rep
Drives: F90, G80, F82, E92 M3

Not sure if it is an initial build car thing, but also experiencing rattles all over the place. For me, especially near the top mounted brake light in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 09:05 PM   #64
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrm3 View Post
You are not alone.

While it may or may not be related to colder temperatures here, I now have a rattle (when hitting imperfections in the road) that is coming from the SOS button area. When pressing around it, I'm affraid I'll trip the SOS button. lol.

Do you know how to open-up that plastic console without snapping any little parts? Did you try felt in any particular spot?

Many thanks in advance,
Matthew
Nothing to do with temperature where I'm at. It's been rattling from 50 degrees all the way to 100 (I'm in Texas). I made an appointment with the dealer to get it checked out. The day I took it to the dealer it didn't rattle at all, just my luck. Left the car there for a day and they couldn't reproduce it. On my way home it started rattling again, it's like the car is messing with me. It's hard to record it too since the microphone can't pick up the sound.

You can't accidentally press the SOS button. First you gotta open the cover THEN press the SOS button (lol I discovered this by accident). I've tried all of sorts of things and it continues to rattle. If you figure it out, let me know.

I got a new rattle now which started couple of days ago, it's my passenger side speaker. It rattles when I listen to music with bass. First I thought there might be something in the door pocket, but nope. It's the speaker.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 03:10 PM   #65
dimmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
Nothing to do with temperature where I'm at. It's been rattling from 50 degrees all the way to 100 (I'm in Texas). I made an appointment with the dealer to get it checked out. The day I took it to the dealer it didn't rattle at all, just my luck. Left the car there for a day and they couldn't reproduce it. On my way home it started rattling again, it's like the car is messing with me. It's hard to record it too since the microphone can't pick up the sound.

You can't accidentally press the SOS button. First you gotta open the cover THEN press the SOS button (lol I discovered this by accident). I've tried all of sorts of things and it continues to rattle. If you figure it out, let me know.

I got a new rattle now which started couple of days ago, it's my passenger side speaker. It rattles when I listen to music with bass. First I thought there might be something in the door pocket, but nope. It's the speaker.
My 2020 M340 was rattled (lol) with noises. I must have taken that thing in almost 10 times just for noise issues. They've felted up just about everything. Central speaker, central dash area under the speaker (behind the radio area iirc), headliner multiple times in multiple areas, moonroof, b pillars I believe, door knobs, glovebox area. I actually had a passenger side rattle and it ended up being a loose fiber optic cable (I think for the ambient lighting) that was vibrating, so they had to replace that part entirely. I would literally go on drives with my girlfriend and have her press up against various areas to check what was causing it to stop. For the passenger side she was actually able to press up against the harmon kardon speaker grille and that stopped it. That whole ordeal was a nightmare

So anyways, it could be that on your end. It's very possible that the bass is causing a loose cable to vibrate and hit something in your passenger side door, or it could just be the speaker cover itself. Try having someone drive with you and press up against it or in general in different areas and see what works - document everything.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 03:45 PM   #66
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
I once took a drive with a BMW tech to let him hear a rattle and he literally could not hear it. We talked about it and he admitted that his hearing was trashed after 25 years of working in loud garages with all the clangy things n stuff.

Not saying the Jproos has hearing loss of course, but one human's loud annoying noise is another's joyous silence.
That's exactly what you're suggesting and I assure you it's not the case. I drive my wife nuts when I hear the stuff she's left to rattle around in her own car and am endlessly annoyed by the noises.

My 3 cars may be the only 3 quiet cars ever produced by BMW, if you need it to be true but so be it.
Appreciate 0