BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-02-2022, 02:28 AM   #67
GregM4
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: VERDE ERMES G82 M4 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO-BMW View Post
Would greatly appreciate your thoughts comparing the two. I'm debating which to buy. Thanks very much for any help.
Sold my F82 and have a G82 arriving in two weeks however had some time in the car.

Miss the power dome.

The F82 design was great IMO. The G82 has taken some time to get used to but now I love it.

Some complain about losing the DCT. Foe track yes, but daily driving
no, especially city driving at low speeds and stop and start.

The tech is next level in the G82.

The big thing is x-drive. The M5 system in the M4/M3. It really is outstanding IMO.
SOLD - E93 Burgundy
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 12:07 AM   #68
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregM4 View Post
Sold my F82 and have a G82 arriving in two weeks however had some time in the car.

Miss the power dome.

The F82 design was great IMO. The G82 has taken some time to get used to but now I love it.

Some complain about losing the DCT. Foe track yes, but daily driving
no, especially city driving at low speeds and stop and start.

The tech is next level in the G82.

The big thing is x-drive. The M5 system in the M4/M3. It really is outstanding IMO.
Good points. And being able to get an M4 Comp with X-Drive would be absolutely ideal. In a perfect world, I would love to grab one. The issue is that it only became available with the 2022 models, and those are going for simply insane money at the moment. I've seen them used at $105-110k, or more, and new ones priced up to $150k! !

Last edited by TWO-BMW; 01-23-2022 at 12:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 12:06 PM   #69
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
I've owned 2 F82 M4s. I've only had my G82 xdrive for 10 days but in that time it's been a reality check, I can't believe the difference in putting the power down. I'm still a long way from the running in service so haven't given it a full send but my brother has one and he's past that point. We went out in his and it's ballistic, the power is linear unlike the F82 and it's overall a far more controlled delivery of power and torque. Today I went for a drive in damp conditions and I'm still waiting for my mind to recalibrate the fact that this car isn't out to kill me, you just go forward, not sideways, no flashing traction light, no drama just pure acceleration.
Yes the F82 was an incredible car at the time and arguably a timeless design classic but after 6 years it was impossible to put the power down in the real world, I live in a country that was 80% against it regarding weather conditions.
This new platform is like having the other 20% 100% of the time.
Also I don't miss the dual clutch, the engineered kick it introduced into the drivetrain made no sense for my circumstances.
G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 03:05 PM   #70
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Install View Post
I've owned 2 F82 M4s. I've only had my G82 xdrive for 10 days but in that time it's been a reality check, I can't believe the difference in putting the power down. I'm still a long way from the running in service so haven't given it a full send but my brother has one and he's past that point. We went out in his and it's ballistic, the power is linear unlike the F82 and it's overall a far more controlled delivery of power and torque. Today I went for a drive in damp conditions and I'm still waiting for my mind to recalibrate the fact that this car isn't out to kill me, you just go forward, not sideways, no flashing traction light, no drama just pure acceleration.
Yes the F82 was an incredible car at the time and arguably a timeless design classic but after 6 years it was impossible to put the power down in the real world, I live in a country that was 80% against it regarding weather conditions.
Also I don't miss the dual clutch, the engineered kick it introduced into the drivetrain made no sense for my circumstances.
A lot of the negatives I've read thus far on F82 , are interestingly enough all the things I love and will miss about it.

I'm excited for my G80 and dreading it all at the same time
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 10:18 PM   #71
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK__LA View Post
Quote:
A lot of the negatives I've read thus far on F82 , are interestingly enough all the things I love and will miss about it.

Maybe I overestimated my abilities, ran out of talent or as I pointed out the car was trying to kill me.
My first BMW was the E30 325i M Sport, I could throw the back end out on it with complete control. I've owned every generation (apart from the E92) and the F82 never gave me confidence in the 6 years I drove it. The throttle response at 2000rpm went from off to on instantly. I always drive my cars without traction or MDM so I can feel what's happening. I'm not by any means the worlds best driver, but nor am I the worst. As the picture shows the F82, just when you thought you'd got it worked out always seemed to find a way of reeling you back in.
Yes maybe a bit of me will miss that edgy driving experience, but it's a very small bit of me.
100% behind the G82 with XDrive for my needs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
GGG333603.50
bri10425928.00
MPoweRo428.00
      01-23-2022, 10:28 PM   #72
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe I overestimated my abilities, ran out of talent or as I pointed out the car was trying to kill me.
My first BMW was the E30 325i M Sport, I could throw the back end out on it with complete control. I've owned every generation (apart from the E92) and the F82 never gave me confidence in the 6 years I drove it. The throttle response at 2000rpm went from off to on instantly. I always drive my cars without traction or MDM so I can feel what's happening. I'm not by any means the worlds best driver, but nor am I the worst. As the picture shows the F82, just when you thought you'd got it worked out always seemed to find a way of reeling you back in.
Yes maybe a bit of me will miss that edgy driving experience, but it's a very small bit of me.
the car was trying to kill me.

That's the fun part
Yea I know the feeling , I've had a few interesting things happen to me as I only drive with all traction off + DSC off.
I guess I'm addicted to that edgy experience which I consider a typical ///M experience , it's been like this since the E46-E92 days for me , so hearing the car is a behaved gentlemen now , I'm a bit worried it might not have any soul and just power only.

I did opt for the x drive to have that rocket feeling which I get from my model S now but I'm hopeful it still feels somewhat rowdy in RWD mode with DSC off for when it's one of those days.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 10:51 PM   #73
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's the fun part
Yea I know the feeling , I've had a few interesting things happen to me as I only drive with all traction off + DSC off.
I guess I'm addicted to that edgy experience which I consider a typical ///M experience , it's been like this since the E46-E92 days for me , so hearing the car is a behaved gentlemen now , I'm a bit worried it might not have any soul and just power only.

I did opt for the x drive to have that rocket feeling which I get from my model S now but I'm hopeful it still feels somewhat rowdy in RWD mode with DSC off for when it's one of those days.
You'll love it. You'll also be around long enough to give it love!
I agree with your comments and in a world where the G82 X didn't exist I would have nothing to say.
Would I like both cars? 100%
I'd then choose to take my life in my own hands (or should I say the F82's) when I felt the need to be on edge while pushing the car hard.
I've not explored the rear wheel drive option on the new car yet as I'm in the running in period and playing by the rules, I'd be interested in how the RWD G82 performed in comparison to the F82. Given it's power delivery is way smoother I imagine it's the car the F82 should have been.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 11:00 PM   #74
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's the fun part

I agree with your comments and in a world where the G82 X didn't exist I would have nothing to say.
I'd then choose to take my life in my own hands (or should I say the F82's) when I felt the need to be on edge while pushing the car hard.
I've not explored the rear wheel drive option on the new car yet as I'm in the running in period and playing by the rules, I'd be interested in how the RWD G82 performed in comparison to the F82. Given it's power delivery is way smoother I imagine it's the car the F82 should have been.
Yup I really want to know how RWD feels , I haven't had a chance to drive it at all.
Most dealers won't even bother without a credit check but I already have an allocation and my dealer has 0 M's on the lot
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 11:08 PM   #75
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's the fun part

Yup I really want to know how RWD feels , I haven't had a chance to drive it at all.
Most dealers won't even bother without a credit check but I already have an allocation and my dealer has 0 M's on the lot
Once you drive the G82 you'll be hooked.
It really is on another level, the interior is a complete game changer compared to the previous model. It's a long time waiting for delivery but it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 11:22 PM   #76
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's the fun part

I went to a dealer with two used x drive m4s and did a test drive. If you want a test drive maybe look for a dealer with a used car they are not too worried about putting miles on.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 03:59 PM   #77
RichardGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 CS

2 weeks ago I traded in my F82 Comp for a G82 Comp xDrive.

Before I placed my order for the G82, I had concerns about the ZF auto box and xDrive removing some of the fun and excitement of the F82 driving experience.

However neither of these concerns are an issue now I own the G82. The smoothness of the gearbox does not really detract from the driving experience at all, even though I loved the rawness of the DCT. The ZF is still great to use in "manual" mode plus you get the smoothness of it when driving sedately in auto.

The xDrive is so good, it feels really planted on the road - even though I haven't even got to my RIS yet and therefore haven't really stretched it.

I have taken it for a blast through some pretty challenging twisties, sticking below 4-5k rpm but still overtaking every car I came across! The handling, suspension and damping of the car is night and day compared to the F82 - so much better while also removing the nervousness of the F82 back end.

The confidence you get from the xDrive system is superb, it has so much poise, even on tight bends on a cold wet road. The car's abilities are way more usable than the F82, which was part of the fun but also frustrating at times because you couldn't really drive the car to the limits of the engine - the car couldn't cope with the power/torque delivery.

The reason I waited to buy the G82 until the xDrive was exactly because of the F82's inability to use the available power, unless driving in ideal conditions on a warm, dry day.

The G82 just goes - it's a totally different (and better) driving experience, as you can get the power down reliably and early, even in the depths of winter. Admittedly I haven't anywhere near maxed it yet because I'm still limiting the revs and throttle % usage, however you can feel how much more grunt it has and how accessible and usable the power is.

Of course all of the refinement improvements are there too: interior; technology; iDrive system; driving config options (without needing BimmerCode - I haven't even bothered hooking it up yet since changing cars); comfort/bucket seats and driving position; boot lid spoiler; etc.

However for me it's as much (more) about the way it drives as it is the improvements in build quality and refinement.

The only things I miss from the F82 are the bonnet bulge and the relative "lightness" of the car, compared to the G82. I also haven't explored the top end of the rev range yet, so I'm missing the noise and acceleration thrill of that!

I have absolutely no regrets about the change, the G82 is undoubtedly a massively better car in every way and if you're considering getting one, my advice is go for it - you will not regret it
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4261.50
      01-25-2022, 11:54 PM   #78
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ix

I really appreciate all the comments and perspectives. Unfortunately, you are all going to be responsible for costing me a LOT of money given that I am now going to have to remortgage the house, to get a G82, as good as you say it is, for a an absolute minimum of $90k+. IF I am lucky, vs an almost pristine, very low miles F82, for about $60k.
Appreciate 2
GGG333603.50
      01-26-2022, 11:18 AM   #79
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO-BMW View Post
I really appreciate all the comments and perspectives. Unfortunately, you are all going to be responsible for costing me a LOT of money given that I am now going to have to remortgage the house, to get a G82, as good as you say it is, for a an absolute minimum of $90k+. IF I am lucky, vs an almost pristine, very low miles F82, for about $60k.
I'm not sure the gap has to be that wide, but it depends on the options you want. I will say this, the F82 is a great car and I had two of them. For a 30k savings over the G82, you can't go wrong. Perhaps the better balance would be to do a G82 with less options. A RWD comp model can be had for 75-80k and still be a great car. You really don't have to go high 80's to low 90's unless you absolutely must have all of the options.
      01-26-2022, 11:39 AM   #80
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Rwd car is absolutely epic, don't let the xdrive FUD keep you from pulling the trigger on one!
Appreciate 2
02M3ForMe4261.50
ottm354.00
      01-26-2022, 12:00 PM   #81
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
Rwd car is absolutely epic, don't let the xdrive FUD keep you from pulling the trigger on one!
Yes, the RWD car is just as good as the Xdrive. Neither is better or worse. I also think that while this car provides a lot of value, the value proposition starts to decline over 93K and certainly is not nearly there at 105/110/115K+.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2022, 12:24 PM   #82
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

All the comments about the F82 throttle response and traction give me flashbacks of me trying to launch my manual M4 at the drag strip. Lots of curse words and tire smoke. It definitely takes more skill with the blast of torque in the S55.

Tech, interior, and performance will always be more superior in newer models as others mentioned. I'm praying the G8x LCI will have visual improvements.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 01:47 PM   #83
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
What do you mean visual, like the grill? 0% chance that is happening.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 03:44 PM   #84
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

The F8X is just a different experience, since the torque hit is all-at-once coupled with the DCT. To me, the G8x is as different experience to an F8X as the F8X was to the E9X, especially when combined with the aesthetics for both comparisons.

I've owned the last 3 Ms (E9X, F8X and now G8X). The sound is irreplaceable in the E9X generation, as the V8 sound is simply intoxicating (depending on the RPM, some rumble, some rasp, and some wail - it's like a musical instrument).

The F8X just looks great, they nailed the proportions, complete with the power dome and such. My F8X looked amazing. And it makes really good power and can be tuned to be a monster. It's definitely a life-threatening thrill when you're really on it. But that engine, it just doesn't sound good. No intake or exhaust combo I heard could change the exhaust note enough to make it pleasurable, it only made it louder (though admittedly at like 8/10 and above, it sounded good enough).

Quote:
I have RWD. And I do believe the AWD is a no-brainer if you're ordering one now, because it gives you ability to be a hero on the road in and out of turns, and puts all the power down with nary an interruption. Plus, you can go RWD at the push of a button when you want. I'd marry the AWD with the 10-stage traction control option, which to me is even more of an important option for the AWD version so you can go RWD and still get some ability to have some safety net there.

The RWD does indeed put the power down, but even with the TC on, you can still feel the tires get a bit squirrely for a moment, and then the car just propels forward. But if you just hammer the RWD with all the settings set to M mode (throttle and engine parameters dialed up), especially once rolling, the power still tries to overwhelm the rear tires, and does, but the car stays under your control. And in MDM, you can still get a brief slide before the car catches it, pauses for a tenth of a second, and then propels you forward. If you turn the TC, you better be ready to power slide at any immediate provocation of the peddle. And since the car is heavy, you better know what you're doing. With the TC completely off, the G8X is fun, and sooo easy to drift and slide, but quite dangerous for those with no experience. Once that much weight is going sideways, you need to already have experience of what to do. The G8X is not the car to learn how to slide on, not on a public road. You need a track on at least an area with no other cars and obstacles around.

And hec, I bet people with great driving skills still will occasionally spin a G8X if they're on a track and everything is turned off. The weight plus power will do that to even some of the better drivers, especially at elevated speeds.

I love my RWD G8X, and since I drive like a grandma in the rain, and definitely never need to drive it in the snow or ice, it fits my wants and needs just fine. But if I only had one car, and lived in a place where you get snow, or lots of rain, again, the AWD is a no-brainer...PLUS you get a powertrain that puts all the power down that much better. And for those who will tune the car to 600+ HP, again, then the AWD is simply the best path to utilize all that power.

The RWD will always be fighting for traction, even with "only" 500 hp. I like it, and have tracked all my M's, so I'm used to it...but I still spun my F82 on the track a few times with all the nannies off. Never did in the E9X, mostly because the power delivery is so linear, making it easy to catch and even hold a slide/drift.

Haven't tracked my G8X yet, but I will in May. Can't wait!
Appreciate 2
GGG333603.50
akkando5863.00
      01-27-2022, 08:06 PM   #85
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
The F8X is just a different experience, since the torque hit is all-at-once coupled with the DCT. To me, the G8x is as different experience to an F8X as the F8X was to the E9X, especially when combined with the aesthetics for both comparisons.

I've owned the last 3 Ms (E9X, F8X and now G8X). The sound is irreplaceable in the E9X generation, as the V8 sound is simply intoxicating (depending on the RPM, some rumble, some rasp, and some wail - it's like a musical instrument).

The F8X just looks great, they nailed the proportions, complete with the power dome and such. My F8X looked amazing. And it makes really good power and can be tuned to be a monster. It's definitely a life-threatening thrill when you're really on it. But that engine, it just doesn't sound good. No intake or exhaust combo I heard could change the exhaust note enough to make it pleasurable, it only made it louder (though admittedly at like 8/10 and above, it sounded good enough).

Quote:
I have RWD. And I do believe the AWD is a no-brainer if you're ordering one now, because it gives you ability to be a hero on the road in and out of turns, and puts all the power down with nary an interruption. Plus, you can go RWD at the push of a button when you want. I'd marry the AWD with the 10-stage traction control option, which to me is even more of an important option for the AWD version so you can go RWD and still get some ability to have some safety net there.

The RWD does indeed put the power down, but even with the TC on, you can still feel the tires get a bit squirrely for a moment, and then the car just propels forward. But if you just hammer the RWD with all the settings set to M mode (throttle and engine parameters dialed up), especially once rolling, the power still tries to overwhelm the rear tires, and does, but the car stays under your control. And in MDM, you can still get a brief slide before the car catches it, pauses for a tenth of a second, and then propels you forward. If you turn the TC, you better be ready to power slide at any immediate provocation of the peddle. And since the car is heavy, you better know what you're doing. With the TC completely off, the G8X is fun, and sooo easy to drift and slide, but quite dangerous for those with no experience. Once that much weight is going sideways, you need to already have experience of what to do. The G8X is not the car to learn how to slide on, not on a public road. You need a track on at least an area with no other cars and obstacles around.

And hec, I bet people with great driving skills still will occasionally spin a G8X if they're on a track and everything is turned off. The weight plus power will do that to even some of the better drivers, especially at elevated speeds.

I love my RWD G8X, and since I drive like a grandma in the rain, and definitely never need to drive it in the snow or ice, it fits my wants and needs just fine. But if I only had one car, and lived in a place where you get snow, or lots of rain, again, the AWD is a no-brainer...PLUS you get a powertrain that puts all the power down that much better. And for those who will tune the car to 600+ HP, again, then the AWD is simply the best path to utilize all that power.

The RWD will always be fighting for traction, even with "only" 500 hp. I like it, and have tracked all my M's, so I'm used to it...but I still spun my F82 on the track a few times with all the nannies off. Never did in the E9X, mostly because the power delivery is so linear, making it easy to catch and even hold a slide/drift.

Haven't tracked my G8X yet, but I will in May. Can't wait!
Thank you for the input !

One of my concerns was losing that fun factor of the ass losing traction and it depends on your skills if you can catch it or not.

So the whole unpredictable rear end is exactly what I look forward too unlike others
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2022, 08:21 PM   #86
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
hank you for the input !

One of my concerns was losing that fun factor of the ass losing traction and it depends on your skills if you can catch it or not.

So the whole unpredictable rear end is exactly what I look forward too unlike others
Ok... I know I'm a total newbie when it comes to a M car. For the last 10 years I only drove a 7 series but I owned a lot of sports cars in the past but no where near this much power. I'm not past my break in yet but I'm sure I won't be taking any nannies off anytime soon. My car is a RWD and I've punched it a few times but I always ease into it. I admire you guys that take off all of the nannies and drive but I think k it's going to be a while before I do it. Don't want to be the next you tube sensation.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 10:14 PM   #87
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by "DK__LA;28520551"
hank you for the input !

Ok... I know I'm a total newbie when it comes to a M car. For the last 10 years I only drove a 7 series but I owned a lot of sports cars in the past but no where near this much power. I'm not past my break in yet but I'm sure I won't be taking any nannies off anytime soon. My car is a RWD and I've punched it a few times but I always ease into it. I admire you guys that take off all of the nannies and drive but I think k it's going to be a while before I do it. Don't want to be the next you tube sensation.
Yup I flashed my F82 to stage 1 and everyday I had all traction & DSC off.

It's a very different experience and I feel like it's exactly how the car is supposed to be driven , albeit technically reckless
It all depends on you , I've had moments where I hit a slick spot on a turn and the car just slides like an animal and you have to catch it.
But what I love is even though the rear end is a bit chaotic , it's still very tame unlike a Vette or moostang.
But you have to expect this 24/7 and it adds to the experience , of course you just have feel if out and know what you're doing.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 10:18 PM   #88
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Yup I flashed my F82 to stage 1 and everyday I had all traction & DSC off.

It's a very different experience and I feel like it's exactly how the car is supposed to be driven , albeit technically reckless
It all depends on you , I've had moments where I hit a slick spot on a turn and the car just slides like an animal and you have to catch it.
But what I love is even though the rear end is a bit chaotic , it's still very tame unlike a Vette or moostang.
But you have to expect this 24/7 and it adds to the experience , of course you just have feel if out and know what you're doing.
Lol... yes, I'm taking my time and it's hard as hell to drive normal. I forgot what I was missing from driving a boat like the Seven. My wife is scared to bride with me now
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0