VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick955 View Post
Good lord. It is what it is! BMW doesn't give a rats ass what any of you think and they will still sell a crazy number of them. Us "purists" on this forum are a miniscule fraction of their audience, and, probably not even squarely in the crosshairs of their "target" audience. If you don't like it, then just let it go and find something else! Christ... the grill, the steering wheel, the hood, the bumper, the electronic dash... F'ing ridiculous.
Amen
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 07:52 AM   #222
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlust View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
I just need a clean hood. I can work with the grills, eventually.
Yeah I agree, I’m not a huge fan of the hood. I still haven’t seen it in person, but for me this is the least thing I like about the design.
A CF hood that removes the raised nostrils and adds the M power dome and shaves a few pounds will sell very well.
      10-21-2020, 08:45 AM   #223
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Good lord. It is what it is! BMW doesn't give a rats ass what any of you think and they will still sell a crazy number of them. Us "purists" on this forum are a miniscule fraction of their audience, and, probably not even squarely in the crosshairs of their "target" audience. If you don't like it, then just let it go and find something else! Christ... the grill, the steering wheel, the hood, the bumper, the electronic dash... F'ing ridiculous.
CALM DOWN!

Appreciate 2
      10-21-2020, 09:03 AM   #224
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan35i View Post
Says the guy who thinks his opinion is more correct than the majority.

Hint that's where the word objective comes from. This bumper is objectively better because the majority agrees. There is no other deciding factor.

I respect opinions worth respecting personally.
All opinions are correct, by definition, unless they relate to facts that are untrue. Opinions are unique and are the subjective mind of the person who forms them.

Even in the case of the Pontiac Aztek, one of the least liked cars in history, any opinion on the car's appearance is a subjective one.

Even if 1 person in 1,000 liked the G80 and the other 999 hated it, any opinion on the styling is, by definition, subjective.

An objective statement is the G80 weighs more than the F80. A subjective statement is the F80 looks better.

People commonly confuse the two, you're not alone in that. What separates you is your unshakable belief you know the definition of a word that you do not.
Appreciate 4
VIERsr2620.50
Boss3301711.50
JTO245271.50
VetteGuy845.50
      10-21-2020, 09:24 AM   #225
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
My favorite interpretation. The small kidneys are a link to BMW's heritage. I would like to see a photoshop with vertical rather than horizontal grill slats. The large lower grill signals performance.

The OEM chipmunk face isn't only hideous, it has no relevance to BMW's lineage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #226
Rick955
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo111 View Post
My favorite interpretation. The small kidneys are a link to BMW's heritage. I would like to see a photoshop with vertical rather than horizontal grill slats. The large lower grill signals performance.

I don't disagree with you... I kind of like that too. But BMW isn't going to do it so it appears that the aftermarketers are grinning right now and they see a whole lot of opportunity. I can only imagine how many different looks this car will have in a few years. With the F8x, even with all kinds of mods, you still knew it was an F8x. The G8x could be morphed into all kind of freakish iterations... people will change the front, the hood, the back. Who knows.
Appreciate 2
VIERsr2620.50
tetsuo1111227.00
      10-21-2020, 10:31 AM   #227
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:

I don't disagree with you... I kind of like that too. But BMW isn't going to do it so it appears that the aftermarketers are grinning right now and they see a whole lot of opportunity. I can only imagine how many different looks this car will have in a few years. With the F8x, even with all kinds of mods, you still knew it was an F8x. The G8x could be morphed into all kind of freakish iterations... people will change the front, the hood, the back. Who knows.
Why bother? Just get a better car. The S58 isn't that special anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:33 AM   #228
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
99% of the forum hates the new design, they said.
1% is all here maybe https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1768389
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 11:01 AM   #229
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
99% of the forum hates the new design, they said.
1% is all here maybe https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1768389
I do not think everyone hates the car, but the front is big change to get used to, especially if you have owned many M-cars and like a certain 'subtle look' that they represent.

Being a hater and having an opinion on one specific item are two different things.

I love the side profile of the M3. I am extremely happy there is a manual!! That is the most important option for me.

My opinion has always been that The M5 style of grilles would look better, before launch, and I am hoping over time that the new grilles will win me over as I get used to it.

That opinion - M5 style of grilles would have been better, does not make me a hater, it is just my subjective opinion.

It would not keep me from buying the car, but it would lead me to get a darker color which I did not want to do since it hides the CF roof.

Last edited by seis-speed; 10-21-2020 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 3
JTO245271.50
Scorp!on1510.00
      10-21-2020, 03:35 PM   #230
jordan35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:

Honestly it's going to be cool to see all the aftermarket interpretations

Sort of a JDM mesh into BMW.

Maybe BMW had this planned all along (/s)

CURRENT: '18 340i
Appreciate 1
DINMANN222.00
      10-21-2020, 04:41 PM   #231
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why is everyone so scared of change? Go buy an M8 if you like that boring front end.
Good taste apparently means "scared of change"

Must be a liberal
Why are Americans obsessed with labeling people? If good taste means boring and the same, then yes; you're scared of change.

Are you even buying a new M3 or M4?
Buddy, your butthurt is showing through the screen. To me it seems you're 'scared' of differing opinions.

Objectively, the improvement is drastic between the original G80 front end and this potential render. You're simply labeling something good-looking as "boring" and "same", likely because you're a new-age progressive who wants to stand out in any way possible, even if it means sacrificing coherent design language.

The M8 isn't even boring. It's also over $130k USD
Why are you obsessed with trying to label me? You literally can't comprehend that people like me love this design. It's stunning. I cannot wait to own this car and I'm so glad it doesn't look like the M8 or M5, which are both very boring designs now as they've been out for a while; this car makes them look ancient!

It's objectively a terribly boring render of an already incredible looking car, trying to make it look like all the current older models. There I can make opinions become facts as well

You never answered my question either, do you plan to buy either the new M3 or M4? I'm gonna guess no; so not sure why you're even here?
Pretty sure their's no requirement to be a likely-buyer to comment on upcoming models and modifications...
True, there isn't, but your opinion literally means nothing if you're not.
Oh you live in a world in which your claimed intent to buy the car makes you an authority, cute
I like the car and am buying it; my opinion literally matters as I'll be spending money on it. If you're not buying something your opinion doesn't matter, you can write whatever sarcastic response you want; it won't change that fact. As an example I think Tesla's are garbage, but who cares as I'm not buying one, my opinion means nothing!
      10-21-2020, 05:36 PM   #232
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:
not sure how you can be so confident saying that. companies release products that flop all the time, even ones the size of BMW.
Appreciate 3
      10-21-2020, 06:21 PM   #233
slowdown_dan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why is everyone so scared of change? Go buy an M8 if you like that boring front end.
Good taste apparently means "scared of change"

Must be a liberal
Why are Americans obsessed with labeling people? If good taste means boring and the same, then yes; you're scared of change.

Are you even buying a new M3 or M4?
Buddy, your butthurt is showing through the screen. To me it seems you're 'scared' of differing opinions.

Objectively, the improvement is drastic between the original G80 front end and this potential render. You're simply labeling something good-looking as "boring" and "same", likely because you're a new-age progressive who wants to stand out in any way possible, even if it means sacrificing coherent design language.

The M8 isn't even boring. It's also over $130k USD
Why are you obsessed with trying to label me? You literally can't comprehend that people like me love this design. It's stunning. I cannot wait to own this car and I'm so glad it doesn't look like the M8 or M5, which are both very boring designs now as they've been out for a while; this car makes them look ancient!

It's objectively a terribly boring render of an already incredible looking car, trying to make it look like all the current older models. There I can make opinions become facts as well

You never answered my question either, do you plan to buy either the new M3 or M4? I'm gonna guess no; so not sure why you're even here?
Pretty sure their's no requirement to be a likely-buyer to comment on upcoming models and modifications...
True, there isn't, but your opinion literally means nothing if you're not.
Oh you live in a world in which your claimed intent to buy the car makes you an authority, cute
I like the car and am buying it; my opinion literally matters as I'll be spending money on it. If you're not buying something your opinion doesn't matter, you can write whatever sarcastic response you want; it won't change that fact. As an example I think Tesla's are garbage, but who cares as I'm not buying one, my opinion means nothing!

This is the most ridiculous logic I've heard in quite some time.

You can say as much by not spending your money as by spending it. Let's see how this might work out:

If everyone loves the new design=more than likely more cars will be sold.

If a lot of people do not like the new design and therefore spend their money with a competitor= less cars will be sold.

Last I checked, BMW was in the business of selling automobiles, among other things.

You can debate nuances to this simple logic, and say "BMW doesn't care what you think" but you're just saying things to say them. Relying on consumers to purchase your product will require a company to care, at least a little, what their consumer audience likes/dislikes.
Appreciate 4
OG///M1003.50
low1352209.00
      10-21-2020, 06:30 PM   #234
slowdown_dan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

It's impressive to me that there are people who can afford a 100k car (or at least say they can) and at the same time cannot follow basic supply/demand principles.
Appreciate 5
OG///M1003.50
DINMANN222.00
low1352209.00
      10-21-2020, 08:45 PM   #235
Rick955
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by six75LT View Post
not sure how you can be so confident saying that. companies release products that flop all the time, even ones the size of BMW.
I am not saying anything about being confident. My point is that BMW has invested years of time and work to get to this point. They're pretty damn good at it. Yes, it's true they make mistakes too, but my point was that everyone is getting heated with each other over opinions, one way or the other, this isn't going to change it... whether it is a huge hit, mediocre, or a flop won't change anything, at least not for some time to come. I don't love the front either but I'm not going to get all stressed out over it and into fights with other folks on this forum. If I hate it that much I'll just pass. When someone says they like something and someone else responds in turn with something negative or nasty because they don't feel that person should like it, that's where things just get over the top.
Appreciate 1
VIERsr2620.50
      10-21-2020, 09:50 PM   #236
Tigeroujimo
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M M4GTS M2CS M3CS '89 325iX

IMHO, this is THE best looking front end I've seen on the thread... Sweet grille!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DINMANN222.00
      10-21-2020, 11:14 PM   #237
DINMANN
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw f80m3 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeroujimo View Post
IMHO, this is THE best looking front end I've seen on the thread... Sweet grille!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 11:44 PM   #238
///Mcarfan
IAB interrogating LEs
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
My point is that BMW has invested years of time and work to get to this point. They're pretty damn good at it. Yes, it's true they make mistakes too, but my point was that everyone is getting heated with each other over opinions, one way or the other, this isn't going to change it... whether it is a huge hit, mediocre, or a flop won't change anything, at least not for some time to come.
It really depends on how much the execs are willing to put down their ego and listens to the majority of their customers.

GM is just as big and they were willing to change the front end of the latest Camaro because of the backlash with people voicing their displeasure.
So saying fans voicing their opinions definitely won't change anything is not entirely true.

What's absolutely true is that nothing will ever change if no one complained at all.
All this constructive criticism serves an important purpose.

I'll say it now, I will only consider the G82 if we get this aftermarket grill at launch, or if BMW change the design.
Appreciate 1
low1352209.00
      10-22-2020, 02:15 AM   #239
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am not saying anything about being confident. My point is that BMW has invested years of time and work to get to this point. They're pretty damn good at it. Yes, it's true they make mistakes too, but my point was that everyone is getting heated with each other over opinions, one way or the other, this isn't going to change it... whether it is a huge hit, mediocre, or a flop won't change anything, at least not for some time to come. I don't love the front either but I'm not going to get all stressed out over it and into fights with other folks on this forum. If I hate it that much I'll just pass. When someone says they like something and someone else responds in turn with something negative or nasty because they don't feel that person should like it, that's where things just get over the top.
That's why for example I ignore the X7 section on this forum, I strongly dislike that truck but I don't try to convince other people to change their mind, if you like it buy it, if you don't like it (like me) buy something else
I don't think my opinion matters that much to make BMW consider changing the look of the X7
Same for the fight M2 N55 vs M2C S55, everyone is okay with his own opinion and buys (or not!) what he wants.
But here seems like if you like the new design you have something wrong, and it's funny because the people who have seen these cars live can be counted on the fingers of one hand

PS cars are appreciated and sold in the real world, and the forum is not the real world

Last edited by VIERsr; 10-22-2020 at 04:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 04:04 AM   #240
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by butte2butte View Post
It's impressive to me that there are people who can afford a 100k car (or at least say they can) and at the same time cannot follow basic supply/demand principles.
Exactly! I was thinking the very same thing!

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 06:00 AM   #241
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

I’m not sure exactly how many M3 and M4 units were sold in any given year recently, but considering... a fair portion of this relatively small forum don’t totally hate the new look, and over 70% of new BMWs are leased, and since I suspect most buyers would still not significantly tamper with the OEM appearance, I question the cost of any complete facia swap. It seems unlikely that the cost of designing, producing, and marketing these aftermarket designs, at both a reasonable profit and a reasonable retail price, would be unrealistic. And, then the buyer needs to have the unit painted and installed so add $$$ to the swap.

It might sound good in a forum post with a photoshop, but when it comes down to actually delivering the product... would these really sell in sufficient numbers to do it?

Last edited by VetteGuy; 10-22-2020 at 06:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 07:22 AM   #242
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
I'm not sure exactly how many M3 and M4 units were sold in any given year recently, but considering... a fair portion of this relatively small forum don't totally hate the new look, and over 70% of new BMWs are leased, and since I suspect most buyers would still not significantly tamper with the OEM appearance, I question the cost of any complete facia swap. It seems unlikely that the cost of designing, producing, and marketing these aftermarket designs, at both a reasonable profit and a reasonable retail price, would be unrealistic. And, then the buyer needs to have the unit painted and installed so add $$$ to the swap.

It might sound good in a forum post with a photoshop, but when it comes down to actually delivering the product... would these really sell in sufficient numbers to do it?
Omg

Figured a low risk low cost solution

For every exterior color not black on the front grill

Just have the bottom half color matched of the exterior so only 1/2 the front grill looks black

Can some one photo shop a white exterior g80

Then photo shop the bottom 1/2 of the front grill white so only the top is black
Appreciate 0