BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-14-2021, 08:48 AM   #23
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_bmw View Post
Even though I'm struggling to get smooth 1-2 shifts, I would still get the MT if I was given a second chance. I look forward to shifting.
That's fair. And I've always had fun on vacations with MT cars, even super underpowered ones (Peugeot 106 with it's inline 3 67hp was a blast to drive). I've just never driven one on a regular basis.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #24
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo 335i View Post
The posters above are absolutely correct when stating that the BMS clutch stop and CDV delete will solve 90+% of the issues.

I’m curious as to the CDV delete for this model. E9x only required removal of a small plastic valve. F87 required replacement of the slave cylinder from an E9x. Hope the G is similarly simple.
Yeah, on my M2C I changed the clutch slave to a E90 M3 one and it solved the vague clutch pedal issue but then it also gained some funny noise when you engaged the clutch from a standstill/in traffic. I think for the G80 I'm not going to bother messing with it.
      05-14-2021, 09:42 AM   #25
GoFastGoFish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC , 2020 X5, 2021 JLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Sounds like a lack of toe in the alignment
Well that would be awesome if that was all it was for sure.. Hopefully the service team.. figures something out..

I was actually talking to whatsyourforte and his still happens after alignment..

It's a really strange thing, because it feels assisted. Supposedly other people have had some form of reprogram to fix it.

It's def a quirky thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #26
GoFastGoFish
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of turbo BMW 6 speed transmissions

You basically can't quick shift 1-2.

It has to be ultra slow and deliberate in and out with the clutch.

Until you guys figure out the holy triangle:

Ultimate clutch pedal
CDV delete
And get a short shifter(auto solutions)

You're basically out of luck.

This exact reason is why I went with the m4c
Yeah I reached out for the SSK from AS.. but he is pretty busy.. so not sure when he will be able to create.. which from everyone's reviews that seems to be the product to get..
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2021, 10:28 AM   #27
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by G82M4Brooke View Post
since you have all provided great insight.. is the tapping of the steering wheel in a direction and then the car keeps going in that direction normal?.. it definitely didn't happen in my 650.. I have to constantly correct it back on course.. I disabled LKA and all the other nannies.. and it still does it.
When this happens is the safety ring button next to the hazard button still a green ring? I thought I turned mine down but all safety systems are turned on unless you do a long press on it every start.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #28
GoFastGoFish
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
When this happens is the safety ring button next to the hazard button still a green ring? I thought I turned mine down but all safety systems are turned on unless you do a long press on it every start.
No it's completely red. I kept making sure.. because I thought I was crazy at first.. I absolutely acts as if LKA is trying to assist but using the steering input instead of lines/etc.

It's only with quick movement of the wheel and releasing it too. It just goes directly in that direction pulled and then needs to be corrected back to center manually or else it would run you into cars/walls lol
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 10:48 AM   #29
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Quote:
Ok so maybe this is my first BMW MT.. but this thing feels worse than some Hondas or Mazdas . Am I crazy?.. the shifter feels flighty.. and this clutch is a shit show . I feel like 1st and 2 is a guessing game with when the engagement occurs . Every damn time .. it's like muscle memory just isn't going to be a thing . Then as far as the shifter is concerned it is actually a mess with 5th ..it just doesn't feel smooth or directed.. like the tolerances of a Willy's ...

1200 mile service is in the morning.. and I am about to tell them to keep it until it feels like an 80k car..

Not to mention.. this steering pull when lka is disabled is stupid

Ugh.. kinda mad.
Obviously, I cannot feel what is happening with your transmission and clutch. but it always seemed to me that FWD cars' clutches are different from RWD cars. Most of my driving has been on RWD cars or 4WD/AWD cars whose primary output has been the rear wheels, so that is what I am used to. Whenever I have driven FWD cars, the clutches always felt "grabby". (not a technical term, but that was the word I used.)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 10:57 AM   #30
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
No it's completely red. I kept making sure.. because I thought I was crazy at first.. I absolutely acts as if LKA is trying to assist but using the steering input instead of lines/etc.

It's only with quick movement of the wheel and releasing it too. It just goes directly in that direction pulled and then needs to be corrected back to center manually or else it would run you into cars/walls lol
Maybe try to turn all systems off by holding button down and see if LKA still kicks in?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #31
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Quote:
Not sure why I can't have an opinion that isn't positive.. Isn't it better than everyone bashing it that doesn't own it. I mean there is a lot I love about it.. but not feeling comfortable shifting kinda kills the experience of buying the MT.
You can - I deleted my original post. I hope you mesh better with your G80 soon! Everyone should love their car after spending this much money on it.
Archived: 2019 Ford GT350 Ford Performance Blue/Dark Slate, 2012 BMW X5 50i Alpine White/Black, 2014 BMW 320i M Sport Melbourne Red/Black, 2009 BMW DINAN3 Alpine White/Black, 2008 BMW 335xi Alpine White/Black, 1998 BMW 328is Avus Blue/Tan
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 11:21 AM   #32
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I have driven a lot of manual transmissions over my time and I found the F87 to be one of the easiest to use of any in regards to clutch engagement and shifting as to me it would be perfect for someone to learn how to drive a manual transmission car. Basically the exact opposite experience of a Subaru STI that has absolutely horrible clutch engagement. I assume the transmission in the G8x is the same and maybe the clutch setup is different?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #33
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I have driven a lot of manual transmissions over my time and I found the F87 to be one of the easiest to use of any in regards to clutch engagement and shifting as to me it would be perfect for someone to learn how to drive a manual transmission car. Basically the exact opposite experience of a Subaru STI that has absolutely horrible clutch engagement. I assume the transmission in the G8x is the same and maybe the clutch setup is different?
I have felt that way about all the MT BMWs I have owned: E23, E39, F32, F30, G80 (current).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 11:58 AM   #34
wowwitsgau
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000 x2, 2022 M3 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Sounds like a lack of toe in the alignment
Caster* is what affects steering wheel return-to-center, not toe
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #35
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Has anyone actually DONE a CDV delete on a G80/82?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggins View Post
Take a look at a recent Youtube video (channel name is "What's your Forte")...he explains very similar steering issues as you described, and he was super frustrated by it. Even with LKA off, he is constantly fighting the wheel.
Quote:
Am I crazy?
Tempting as it is to say "yes", no, you are not crazy.

I'm guessing that like the F87 with the integrated CDV/Slave, you have to replace the sucker with an older design, like from the E9x chassis. Not difficult, but not particularly easy with the tight clearances, fluid running all over you while you do it and bleeding it properly afterwards.

I hated it too on my M2, but I'm starting to come to terms with it (the clutch). Basically you have to do what BMW wants us to do, which is go slow and take it easy. If you rush the shifts and pop the clutch, that CDV is going to delay (hence the "D") the engagement of the clutch to save the drivetrain. It's annoying, it's frustrating, and I hate the attitude of the manufacturer that thinks that they know what's best for us, when in reality it's just there to reduce their warranty claims.

As for the shifter, it's perfectly normal for a BMW. It's actually a lot better than the older cars, which had a whole bunch of side-to-side slop and could make you miss shifts on hard acceleration when the engine torque would twist the transmission. You'll get used to it.

Now, the steering. I concur that it is odd. I'm actually happy to see you guys complain, because I thought that there was something wrong with my car. Now I know that it's not just me (or it). My impression of what it does, is that once you stop moving the wheel, the assist is off. Then, as you start to move it, the assist comes back on. This results in a really odd feeling. It also tends to keep the wheel pointed wherever you left it, there's no returning to center without some help.

Annoying. I don't like it. I wish it was better. But I'm getting used to it, and now that (thanks to you all) I know that "they all do that" I'm going to quit bitchin' about it. But don't let that stop you all from complaining about it to BMW. They can tweak the software, and if enough of us mention it, they'll have a fix for it eventually. I hope.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
Telly9987174.50
      05-14-2021, 01:10 PM   #36
GoFastGoFish
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Tempting as it is to say "yes", no, you are not crazy.

I'm guessing that like the F87 with the integrated CDV/Slave, you have to replace the sucker with an older design, like from the E9x chassis. Not difficult, but not particularly easy with the tight clearances, fluid running all over you while you do it and bleeding it properly afterwards.

I hated it too on my M2, but I'm starting to come to terms with it (the clutch). Basically you have to do what BMW wants us to do, which is go slow and take it easy. If you rush the shifts and pop the clutch, that CDV is going to delay (hence the "D") the engagement of the clutch to save the drivetrain. It's annoying, it's frustrating, and I hate the attitude of the manufacturer that thinks that they know what's best for us, when in reality it's just there to reduce their warranty claims.

As for the shifter, it's perfectly normal for a BMW. It's actually a lot better than the older cars, which had a whole bunch of side-to-side slop and could make you miss shifts on hard acceleration when the engine torque would twist the transmission. You'll get used to it.

Now, the steering. I concur that it is odd. I'm actually happy to see you guys complain, because I thought that there was something wrong with my car. Now I know that it's not just me (or it). My impression of what it does, is that once you stop moving the wheel, the assist is off. Then, as you start to move it, the assist comes back on. This results in a really odd feeling. It also tends to keep the wheel pointed wherever you left it, there's no returning to center without some help.

Annoying. I don't like it. I wish it was better. But I'm getting used to it, and now that (thanks to you all) I know that "they all do that" I'm going to quit bitchin' about it. But don't let that stop you all from complaining about it to BMW. They can tweak the software, and if enough of us mention it, they'll have a fix for it eventually. I hope.

Haha , well I know I am def crazy ... I reached out to BMW as well .. because I think the fix in the software would be an easy fix.. at least the bit when you completely turn off the nannies.. that signaling event shouldn't be allowed. So I believe that abrupt movement causes a signal being sent to engage some type of lane directional movement. Though the caveat being if nannies are off there is nothing to tell it to stop that movement. So I suggested that there be a kill command in place that when LKA is completely turned off that the steering input be dropped from monitoring of that system (which it should be one would have thought) . I tested last night on the highway for hours .. and it is a continuous guidance in that direction. There must be exact event triggered when steering/rack is moved in that manner that makes the system say " Oh shit steer in this direction" .. anyway I will see what BMW says.. if they would just let me see the event triggers in the software I could prove it lol.. I read signaling for a living pretty much..

For the clutch/shifter.. it's just really tough .. I mean it's like they got me by the balls.. I love the look/feel of everything else... but that clutch has me cursing out loud while driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 01:45 PM   #37
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
... but that clutch has me cursing out loud while driving.
LOL, let us know when BMW lets you take a peak at the source code. I used to be a programmer, so maybe I could make some suggestions.

Actually, I was talking with another manager here this morning about self-driving/automation in cars, and how neither one of us like it or trust it. I said, "yes, that's because you know too many programmers!"

OK, anyway... the clutch. The solution is simple, as noted above, just order the E90/E92 clutch slave cylinder. It's like $90 last I checked. Search the F87 (M2) forum if you want more info on it.

If you are a DIY/shadetree mechanic, you can do it yourself. I've removed CDVs in the past myself, and I am at best, an incompetent mechanic with many broken and missing parts after I do something. And yet I've done this two or three times, and the car still worked.

If you can't do it yourself, it shouldn't be more than an hour of labor for any decent shop.

The only way it's going to void your warranty is if the clutch fails, then they will likely refuse to cover it. The odds of a clutch failure is pretty low. Heck, if it does happen, just put the old slave in there before you tow the car to the dealer.

Like I wrote above, I hate it too, but I am getting used to it. I'm not going to change just because I'm lazy to do it and too cheap to pay a shop. And my biggest stock holding is tanking today, so I'm feeling sorry for myself.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2021, 04:09 PM   #38
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb06 View Post
Try shifting at 2300rpm. Dont go to 3000 for 1-2. I recently drove the G80 6sp and worked fine for me.
I would do the opposite. Drive it aggressively and shift at red line or close. The harder you drive - the better it feels.
On some shifts blip throttle - release clutch at higher RPMs - let it catch at 2k - then rev to red line -shift.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 05:09 PM   #39
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

If you're going to shift 1-2 at 2300 you might as well just eliminate it completely and start off in 2nd. The car has no issue with doing that.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #40
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

I agree 1 - 2 blows, it often never feels great and seems slow. 1st just seems an odd gear ratio.

That said, a clutch stop made a massive difference, and 3rd in the 6MT is absolutely glorious. Taking that to redline you're not far off 100mph before you need to change. The car just comes alive.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 05:56 PM   #41
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
I agree 1 - 2 blows, it often never feels great and seems slow. 1st just seems an odd gear ratio.

That said, a clutch stop made a massive difference, and 3rd in the 6MT is absolutely glorious. Taking that to redline you're not far off 100mph before you need to change. The car just comes alive.
Actually over 100, you can hit around 106ish at redline in 3rd, I've picked up a bit of experience with this messing with dragy over the past few days. In Mexico of course.

Also ran the mathematical calculations for each gear as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      05-14-2021, 06:43 PM   #42
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post

Actually over 100, you can hit around 106ish at redline in 3rd, I've picked up a bit of experience with this messing with dragy over the past few days. In Mexico of course.

Also ran the mathematical calculations for each gear as well.
Lol, clearly I haven't been pushing the car hard enough!!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #43
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
This is what I’m worried about. I did not like the gear shifts in the previous M3 as well. I saw someone said that Porsche is the same feeling. I would like to say no they are not the same feeling. The Porsche gearbox is way way better than the F80, E92 or whatever generation M3 comparable.

I don’t want to bash the new manual gearbox until testing it out but it will be a tough decision then to go auto or manual.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 07:39 PM   #44
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Nobody in Europe is complaining about the manual transmission...US only... Ask yourself why?
Appreciate 1
DFW_M1638.50