BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-19-2021, 11:21 PM   #67
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by weingarm View Post
This may be slightly off topic, but I've never owned a manual transmission with auto-rev matching. I plan to get a 2022 6MT M3 and I'm wondering how the rev-matching works.

Can you really just shift down, say from 4th to 3rd without blipping the throttle yourself and the computer will do it for you - smoothly?

This seems so unworldly to me, like it shouldn't be possible. I know this technology has been out for at least a decade (I feel like the Nissan 370Z first had it around 2010) but does it really work as advertised?
Yep. You just down a gear or two while braking before a corner without having to touch the gas pedal. It works because the gas pedal is by-wire and not connected to a throttle cable like it used to. It is so smooth that you can do a 2 -> 1 downshift which requires practice without the auto match rev.

I think part of the issue that the MT gang here experience here is that, the system does not only match rev downshift, but also upshift (at least in my experience). That's the 1 -> 2 is awful and take practice.
      05-19-2021, 11:24 PM   #68
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

Quote:
This may be slightly off topic, but I've never owned a manual transmission with auto-rev matching. I plan to get a 2022 6MT M3 and I'm wondering how the rev-matching works.

Can you really just shift down, say from 4th to 3rd without blipping the throttle yourself and the computer will do it for you - smoothly?

This seems so unworldly to me, like it shouldn't be possible. I know this technology has been out for at least a decade (I feel like the Nissan 370Z first had it around 2010) but does it really work as advertised?
While I usually prefer to do it myself the rev-match works great.
I have it on for my daily mode M1 and off for my backroads full send mode M2.
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 02:16 AM   #69
zigerman
Rep
Drives: /

Quote:
Originally Posted by G82M4Brooke View Post
Ok so maybe this is my first BMW MT.. but this thing feels worse than some Hondas or Mazdas . Am I crazy?.. the shifter feels flighty.. and this clutch is a shit show . I feel like 1st and 2 is a guessing game with when the engagement occurs . Every damn time .. it's like muscle memory just isn't going to be a thing . Then as far as the shifter is concerned it is actually a mess with 5th ..it just doesn't feel smooth or directed.. like the tolerances of a Willy's ...

1200 mile service is in the morning.. and I am about to tell them to keep it until it feels like an 80k car..

Not to mention.. this steering pull when lka is disabled is stupid

Ugh.. kinda mad.
Funny, you are comparing it to Hondas. S2000 MT is still one of the best manual ever produced..

And yes, bmw MT is shit. Im getting along with it on my m2c but its far from good..

Last edited by zigerman; 05-20-2021 at 02:53 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-20-2021, 11:50 AM   #70
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Strongly suggest a clutch stop (as other's have suggested). BMW's have always grabbed high, Japanese cars typically grab low and the travel path is very short by comparison. You'll get used to it. I have yet to drive one buy my 6MT is 5 days away from port.

https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...06-mini-cooper

I did a poll 4 years ago and was definitely late to the party with a clutch stop. Couldn't believe how many people use them compared to not.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1449571
Appreciate 2
      05-20-2021, 11:55 AM   #71
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Shifting issues

Quote:
Ok so maybe this is my first BMW MT.. but this thing feels worse than some Hondas or Mazdas . Am I crazy?.. the shifter feels flighty.. and this clutch is a shit show . I feel like 1st and 2 is a guessing game with when the engagement occurs . Every damn time .. it's like muscle memory just isn't going to be a thing . Then as far as the shifter is concerned it is actually a mess with 5th ..it just doesn't feel smooth or directed.. like the tolerances of a Willy's ...

1200 mile service is in the morning.. and I am about to tell them to keep it until it feels like an 80k car..
I haven't read this whole thread, but I do know on my E92 & current F82 the shifting improved a lot by 10k miles. I have no complaints on my '15's shifting.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 1
JMU_BMW152.50
      05-22-2021, 03:05 PM   #72
filostrato
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Ok , so little update.. I took a lot of your suggestions .. seat position, rpm range.. etc.. and actually I really think half of my issue was during run-in not being able to really go above 4500 rpm significantly cripples the real feeling in this thing..

1 and 2nd is a little wonky still of course.. but F it.. hitting 3rd and running it all the way up.. definitely provides a huge boost in smiles per gallon..

It's not to say I will not get a SSK and other trimmings to make it feel complete to me.. but this feels like such a controlled animal when winding out.. I think I can overlook having to customize such things..

Thank you all again for providing feedback.. I really appreciate it.. I was on the ledge there .. and I think I am feeling much better after letting it rip for a couple days..

Glad things are feeling better! For me shifting was definitely jerky going 1-2 for the first few days of driving. Now I've gotten used to the bite point it's *much* smoother, I just thought it was a nuance of the BMW manual (p-car, audi before)

I'm interested to hear if anyone has been able to do the CDV delete in the G8X. I would love to have better clutch accuracy... I mean, that's what you get the manual for right?
Appreciate 1
opielm88.00
      05-22-2021, 04:23 PM   #73
W288SH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: 2016 X5; 2020 M340i /

Quote:

Yes. It's like a drug. Don't use it. Heal and toe yourself to keep the skill.
2020 M340i - Sold
2021 M3 6MT
2023 X5 xDrive 40i
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 05:12 PM   #74
iceRN09
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
G80 would be my 3rd MT BMW.

The BMW shifter has always been rubbery with seemingly inaccurate but actually accurate long throws. The clutch engagement point is high and vague (try adjusting your seat further back). You can't sit too close or else it gets frustrating. A clutch stop can help for some people.

It's not meant to feel Japanese. Most German MT cars feels similar if you've driven the VW/Porsche stuff.
BMW manual isnt close to a Porsche Manual.. I owned a GT4. Probably one of the best shifting manual there is..
Appreciate 1
IL Pete133.50
      05-22-2021, 05:47 PM   #75
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Ok so maybe this is my first BMW MT.. but this thing feels worse than some Hondas or Mazdas
I don't know about that man, every manual honda I've had the clutch has been butta.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 07:56 PM   #76
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Every bmw mt Ive owned has this annoying stutter from 1st to 2nd. This might be heresy, but how have I been able to achieve a smooth 1-2 shift? Slip the clutch slightly! Instead of trying to synch throttle pedal down/clutch pedal up, get on the the throttle, and Then get off the clutch. Slipping it this way hasnt caused my clutch to wear out but it has eliminated the stutter.
rideontwo189.50
      05-24-2021, 11:51 AM   #77
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Every bmw mt Ive owned has this annoying stutter from 1st to 2nd. This might be heresy, but how have I been able to achieve a smooth 1-2 shift? Slip the clutch slightly! Instead of trying to synch throttle pedal down/clutch pedal up, get on the the throttle, and Then get off the clutch. Slipping it this way hasnt caused my clutch to wear out but it has eliminated the stutter.
I only have a few hundred miles on mine so far but I've noticed the stutter from 1st to 2nd as well and thought it was me lol and some of it might be. I've been playing with different ways to get it right but have noticed that yes if you slip it ever so slightly it does transition much more smoothly. Not sure I want to do that always but....I did install the BMS clutch stop yesterday and have noticed it was a little better but I need more time now with the clutch stop installed to get used to it all.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #78
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Can you really just shift down, say from 4th to 3rd without blipping the throttle yourself and the computer will do it for you - smoothly?... does it really work as advertised?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
I think part of the issue that the MT gang here experience here is that, the system does not only match rev downshift, but also upshift (at least in my experience). That's the 1 -> 2 is awful and take practice.
My experience as well, although I think the "help" with upshifting actually makes it easier to shift (declutch) smoothly.

Quote:
Slip the clutch slightly!
Yes, I've always avoided this to reduce wear and tear, but really there is no way to drive these cars smoothly without slipping the clutch more than you otherwise would.

And in reality, I don't think it's abusive or will even wear it noticeably faster since it's all at low speeds and relatively light loads.

Both me and the car are slowly getting broken-in, and it's better. The secret, for me anyway, is to shift/declutch slowly. I won't win any races, but then, I don't need to.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 01:26 PM   #79
mn_bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Manual RWD

Quote:
This is exactly what I've been doing. I've also noticed it's much easier in Comfort/Sport vs Sport+. At this point I'm waiting for both me and the car to finish breaking-in
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:03 PM   #80
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Strongly suggest a clutch stop (as other's have suggested). BMW's have always grabbed high, Japanese cars typically grab low and the travel path is very short by comparison. You'll get used to it. I have yet to drive one buy my 6MT is 5 days away from port.

https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...06-mini-cooper

I did a poll 4 years ago and was definitely late to the party with a clutch stop. Couldn't believe how many people use them compared to not.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1449571
Agreed. Having a clutch stop makes the pedal travel much more manageable and easier to drive IMO.

Installed the one from BMS. Only $10 and takes 5 minutes to install on the G80/82 (you don't need to remove any interior panels like the instructions say; the clutch stop is fully exposed from the factory).

Plus, the clutch stop is fully reversible for those that plan to lease the car (or didn't like the mod). Easily a no-brainer purchase I say!
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 07:38 PM   #81
M2see
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C - HS, Manual

Quote:
Ok , so little update.. I took a lot of your suggestions .. seat position, rpm range.. etc.. and actually I really think half of my issue was during run-in not being able to really go above 4500 rpm significantly cripples the real feeling in this thing..

1 and 2nd is a little wonky still of course.. but F it.. hitting 3rd and running it all the way up.. definitely provides a huge boost in smiles per gallon..

It's not to say I will not get a SSK and other trimmings to make it feel complete to me.. but this feels like such a controlled animal when winding out.. I think I can overlook having to customize such things..

Thank you all again for providing feedback.. I really appreciate it.. I was on the ledge there .. and I think I am feeling much better after letting it rip for a couple days..
Glad to hear your experience is improving. I had exactly the same issue when I took delivery of my M2C, in Australia manuals are limited and there were none to test drive. 1st to 2nd was so infuriating I considered selling the car. I thought I would follow the advice and ordered a clutch stop and started to look into CDV delete (too much stress for me), in parallel I installed a new shorter shift lever, and the biggest improvement was I coded out the auto rev match, this transformed the experience so much that I still have the clutch stop in its packaging as I felt no need to make anymore changes.

Due to kids growing up I am now considering a bigger car and the M3 may be one of the last manual enthusiasts option in its class, but I will follow your updates with interest as the driving experience is key for me and not being able to live with the gear shift feeling is showstopper for me and would potentially steer me to retaining my M2.

Last edited by M2see; 05-25-2021 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: missed word
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2021, 09:47 PM   #82
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

I have an F30 6MT and it works as advertised, felt weird to me at first. So I would guess the G80 works the same or better.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 11:54 AM   #83
21G80M3STICK
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3 6MT

Angry G80 m3 6mt 1st gear engagement issues!

Hi guys,

I just hit 2k miles and I love the car. However, I have been experiencing one main issue. Every so often when I am in neutral engaging into 1st gear it is almost as if the shifter gets stuck in between neutral and 1st. A weird clicking / resistance is feeling can be felt and just this morning the car snapped very abruptly back into neutral since the car was not fully engaged into 1st even though it said 1st gear on my cluster! Any one else experiencing this issue when going from N - 1st?!
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2021, 09:58 PM   #84
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmplaya View Post
I have an F30 6MT and it works as advertised, felt weird to me at first. So I would guess the G80 works the same or better.

Quote:

Yes and it works very well
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #85
Kminor2578
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21G80M3STICK View Post
Hi guys,

I just hit 2k miles and I love the car. However, I have been experiencing one main issue. Every so often when I am in neutral engaging into 1st gear it is almost as if the shifter gets stuck in between neutral and 1st. A weird clicking / resistance is feeling can be felt and just this morning the car snapped very abruptly back into neutral since the car was not fully engaged into 1st even though it said 1st gear on my cluster! Any one else experiencing this issue when going from N - 1st?!

It's sounds the synchros are locked, it's happens to first quite frequently due to the size of the gear. If you have resistance trying to go into first just put the shifter into second then up into first should fix the problem. You don't need let off the clutch with the 2-1 change
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 10:05 PM   #86
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kminor2578 View Post
It's sounds the synchros are locked, it's happens to first quite frequently due to the size of the gear. If you have resistance trying to go into first just put the shifter into second then up into first should fix the problem. You don't need let off the clutch with the 2-1 change
I agree with this solution. I have experienced this on my 2015 M3 and 2020 M2C. They share the same tranny and ratios with the G80.

Current: 2022 M3 CompX, 2024 M2 6-Spd
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 08:23 PM   #87
RogerM_vrt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 bmw m4, 2021 bmw 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
Actually over 100, you can hit around 106ish at redline in 3rd, I've picked up a bit of experience with this messing with dragy over the past few days. In Mexico of course.

Also ran the mathematical calculations for each gear as well.
My manual tops out at 184 redline
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 04:37 AM   #88
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
Clutch stop and CDV delete are the way. Short shift kit if you're a racerboi.
New car, old 'problem'. CDV was the solution 25 years ago on E39 6-speeds, whose engagement points were notoriously vague. I've had about two dozen BMWs over the years; even the best ones aren't as precise as Honda's best. Then again, they're often dealing with more torque or horsepower.
Appreciate 3
2011ninja3382.00
gnx759.50