Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

03-27-2024, 12:00 AM   #45
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Eh, 0-60 in 3.8. 1/4 in 12.3 @115. same motor minus one turbo and one extra fuel pump. And maybe some rods.
Not really on the motor side of things. It is and it isn’t. Pistons are actually the weak side on the B before the rods, but a good chunk of that is due to the higher compression to a degree. Heads are different, oil passages/supply setup, cams, yada yada the list goes on and overall, while people have had success with the B58, it’s not really the solid workhorse the S58 is and will be as more people end up modding it. Everyone with a B will talk shit all day on the S58 like nobody has done anything with it.. well yeah, because it’s in much more expensive cars. Cheapest option to get one was an X3M and an M2, but you’d be a food to buy a new B58 equipped car when you can get a used one that has an S58 and not shortchange yourself. Of course this is a discussion for another thread and yeah, I’m madly in love with the S58 because it’s finally what the pinnacle new age straight 6 should be… without all the bs issues of prior generations. And if properly controlled, it’ll make a shit ton of power even on stock internals… just most will replace the rods just to be on the safe side if pushing 1000hp. Anyway, let me stop… but yeah, I stick by what I said, a B58 equipped car to me isn’t the same. I’d buy a wrecked S58 car and rebuild that before buying a new B58 one, but that’s just me.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13473.50
      03-27-2024, 08:06 AM   #46
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
It would be interesting to see them test it again. The article was written in 2018 and in the past few years, like around 2020 or 2021, there may have been some silent revisions to the Indy500. I say that because when it was still new to the lineup, they had a tendency to flat spot if they sat overnight, depending on temp and pressures you ran. This would be gone by about the 1 mile mark once you started driving, but some people complained about it. They no longer have this issue and instead have a slightly weird sensation if you run higher pressures where the car can feel twitchy (kinda like if you’re during with crosswinds). Here’s the weird thing… without changing anything, this goes away after about 500 miles since new. Maybe it’s the rubber heat cycling a few times and release agents working fully out, but once this is fine, it’s fine dry or wet, they again feel like they always do and no issues. 🤷*♂️

Also, I have had a couple of friends say they felt weird driving them initially because they tend to be fairly quiet as they start to reach the limit, so you get the tire slipping on the pavement sound, but you don’t get the crazy ass screeching associated with it. Those used to listening for that feedback and not using feel of the car instead (which is what you’re supposed to do) initially had probs with confidence in the tires. They’re not for everyone, but I’ve done a tone of SCCA runs in them on multiple cars and to me, I feel it’s pissing money away on Michelins to get like less than a 5% increase is supposedly traction… which based on my findings, I couldn’t justify. Now I will say this… if you’re RWD only, these may not be your cup of tea based on how you drive, but AWD, I stop it and go rain or shine, no issues whatsoever and it doesn’t feel squirmy like I’m rolling the sidewall in turns as the Michelins did. YMMV
I mean, that's a pretty good use case for the Firestone. You need the extra sidewall support and running through tires doing a bunch of SCCA events I'd think the savings is a nice bonus for what is probably a very comparable tire.

Can't really go wrong with any of these entries. When you read the Tire Rack reviews, they specifically call out that in other categories, there are often huge gaps in performance but these tires are all stacked on top of each other and it comes down to slight nuance in feel and slight optomizations in one area vs. another. All at the limit.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 08:47 AM   #47
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

I nearly got a set of these with 4k miles on them for $200, as a friend who traded his GT500 for an F90 had them in our exact sizes. Unfortunately, both rears had damage from being mounted/dismounted, and one had started to rust from being stored in a damp garage afterwards. Friend gave me the money back, I binned the rears and gave away the fronts.

If only it had been the fronts that were damaged instead, free/cheap set of rears to hoon on!

Appreciate 0