BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-03-2024, 09:59 AM   #111
Juanero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pcars, TOYcars, M3Cx

Tint for me is keeping car cooler and keeping people from eyeballing me.
20% sides and 70% front. (I got 5% on another car and that s%#! is dark!)
@BlackSunShine--that looks mean!
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2024, 10:36 AM   #112
M4ROLLIN20
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 COMPETITION

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
Some sort of heat protection is mandatory here in Texas, so I have 80% everywhere. Add in the protective film on the outside of the windshield and I'm starting to wonder about a class action lawsuit against “BMW for selling cars with glass that isn't fit for its purpose.”
Would you mind elaborating on what you mean by “BMW for selling cars with glass that does not fit its purpose”?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 10:39 AM   #113
M4ROLLIN20
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanero View Post
Tint for me is keeping car cooler and keeping people from eyeballing me.
20% sides and 70% front. (I got 5% on another car and that s%#! is dark!)
@BlackSunShine—that looks mean!
Yeah, sometimes I’m so focused I don’t care as long as I like. However, when I’m just chillin, it get extremely annoying and uncomfortable
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 10:41 AM   #114
M4ROLLIN20
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
LOL at so many justifying their tint because of heat rejection and a strong summer sun in their region.

But ultimately, if one thinks that it simply looks cool to tint the windows and/or windshield dark based primarily on aesthetics, that's fine too. Looking cool is oftentimes more important than being cool inside the cabin.

We car enthusiasts spend a lot of money on items for our cars simply because they "look cool", with no measurable or meaningful benefit other than aesthetics. So if you live in a country where it's chilly and dreary much of the time and where summers are short, and you still want to put a 5% limo tint on your G8X, have at it.

We own M cars, most of which never set foot on a track...so, many of us are posers anyway, and have no real need for 500-hp cruise missiles on the street. And then we mod the hec out of them, oftentimes for additional performance, for the street.

So you do you, because you paid a lot of money for your car, so mod it as you wish, for whatever reasons you decide. No justification needed besides "it's what I wanted".
Seriously just said what everyone’s thinking but no one had the balls to say Ok I don’t with BP for today. Ty
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 02:25 PM   #115
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4ROLLIN20 View Post
Would you mind elaborating on what you mean by “BMW for selling cars with glass that does not fit its purpose”?
Not being serious, but the fact that I need film on both sides of my windshield to have some basic heat rejection, UV protection, and resistance to the minor grit in the air around here is pretty irritating.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 07:06 AM   #116
Bimmer5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

This is the first time I’ve ever had tint installed, I did it for heat but mainly because I chose Fiona red interior. Not sure if the sun would beat it up and fade it but didn’t want to chance it.
      04-04-2024, 08:06 AM   #117
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
LOL at so many justifying their tint because of heat rejection and a strong summer sun in their region.

But ultimately, if one thinks that it simply looks cool to tint the windows and/or windshield dark based primarily on aesthetics, that's fine too. Looking cool is oftentimes more important than being cool inside the cabin.

We car enthusiasts spend a lot of money on items for our cars simply because they "look cool", with no measurable or meaningful benefit other than aesthetics. So if you live in a country where it's chilly and dreary much of the time and where summers are short, and you still want to put a 5% limo tint on your G8X, have at it.

We own M cars, most of which never set foot on a track...so, many of us are posers anyway, and have no real need for 500-hp cruise missiles on the street. And then we mod the hec out of them, oftentimes for additional performance, for the street.

So you do you, because you paid a lot of money for your car, so mod it as you wish, for whatever reasons you decide. No justification needed besides "it's what I wanted".
Eh, I mean for me, this was the reason. I grew up in the North East, lived in Mid-Atlantic for some time and never tinted a vehicle. Then I moved to Texas and was like....oh, you gotta tint down here. It's nuts. For the heat rejection and also the glare. I'm at 30 or 35%, can't recall, and 70% on the windshield and it looks a bit light to me but works well.

On my 997 Turbo I didn't tint because I love the fishbowl look but if I had kept that car I would have tinted at 70 or 80% to get some heat rejection because it was horrific, but still keep the look.
Appreciate 0