BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

05-03-2021, 09:13 AM   #1
Mperor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 911S, G80 M3

Will an Individual color delay my M3C xDrive order even further?

Woohoo, it is official! Put down the deposit and have the #1 slot at my dealership. The wait begins.

I am thinking about spec'ing an Individual color when it comes time to order. My dealer told me this would delay production much further out. Is it true? If I put in a special paint color order in May (assuming that's when my order can be placed), will this push out to my build date?

Also, my dealer warn me DO NOT consider frozen paint since it comes with a big red sticker on the car which requires special caring. For those who have or ordered a frozen color, is it that bad? I am okay with hand washing (I take my car to hand car washing places only anyway). Anything else I should worry about? I heard scratches are impossible to touch up. Is it worth it for frozen paint, which looks awesome (but to each their own)?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 10:38 AM   #2
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
An individual color would likely push the production date out 3-4 weeks.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 10:55 AM   #3
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mperor View Post
Woohoo, it is official! Put down the deposit and have the #1 slot at my dealership. The wait begins.

I am thinking about spec'ing an Individual color when it comes time to order. My dealer told me this would delay production much further out. Is it true? If I put in a special paint color order in May (assuming that's when my order can be placed), will this push out to my build date?

Also, my dealer warn me DO NOT consider frozen paint since it comes with a big red sticker on the car which requires special caring. For those who have or ordered a frozen color, is it that bad? I am okay with hand washing (I take my car to hand car washing places only anyway). Anything else I should worry about? I heard scratches are impossible to touch up. Is it worth it for frozen paint, which looks awesome (but to each their own)?
No reason to avoid frozen paint if that's what you want.

My Fire Orange individual pushed my from a march 10 to an april 19 build.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 01:35 PM   #4
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

My SA is under the assumption that the AWD model production begins in July but won't be delivered to customers until October. I asked if ordering an individual color pushes that even further or if it may work within that timeline, and he's waiting to get a clear answer about that. With a normal timeline it of course pushes things back as Frankie said, but since this is longer than normal I'm hoping it can work.

Last edited by jpsimon; 05-03-2021 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #5
Dynamic3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3Cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
My SA is under the assumption that the AWD model production begins in July but won't be delivered to customers until October. I asked if ordering an individual color pushes that even further or if it may work within that timeline, and he's waiting to get a clear answer about that. With a normal timeline it of course pushes things back as Frankie said, but since this is longer than normal I'm hoping it can work.
Did she provide any reasoning?

The official announcement notes "market launch set for August 2021".
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 06:00 PM   #6
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

He told me this before the official announcement but basically said since its a 2022 model it won’t be in customers hands until October even though they’re able to order it in June/July. Hopefully he’s wrong! Getting it sooner will be a nice surprise, I’ve been thinking October this whole time.

Last edited by jpsimon; 05-03-2021 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 06:12 PM   #7
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Why won't they order your car with frozen paint if that is what YOU want? They aren't the one maintaining it.

And they did say that individual pain adds a few weeks, although it seems that once the building process starts it moved through at what seems like would have been the same for stock paint. So I'm not sure at what point in the process it's added and what exactly is happening on their end to add extra weeks. I was initially told it added time because they had to take the car off the assembly line to an entirely different place to paint it. That certainly sounded like it could add time, but my timeline went:

3/18
Production Begins

3/24
Exterior Body Assembly
In the paint booth

3/26
Entering assembly line
Assembly in Progress
Quality Check
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 12:23 PM   #8
JoshuaevansF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I ordered frozen white I placed my order on the 9th of April it should go into production sometime this month. So there is a delay on frozen/individual paint
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 12:42 PM   #9
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:

The other challenge you might have is BMW delaying consideration of ANY individual paint for the awd model for a period of time to get inventory moving. So the delay could be longer than the typical 5-6wks or they may outright deny the custom color for a while
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 12:54 PM   #10
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I'm guessing the whole "red sticker" thing you mention is that during delivery prep, they need to not wash it like cars with regular paint.

Down the road, each time you take it in for service, you'll just need to let them know NOT to wash it.

They can handle it, but maybe he was giving you the heads up that you'll need to remind dealers and detailers of this every time.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 12:58 PM   #11
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
The other challenge you might have is BMW delaying consideration of ANY individual paint for the awd model for a period of time to get inventory moving. So the delay could be longer than the typical 5-6wks or they may outright deny the custom color for a while
That's an excellent point. That is precisely what happened with the RWD models.

They wouldn't even consider my request for an Individual color until the 5th month of RWD production.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 01:23 PM   #12
Mperor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
I'm guessing the whole "red sticker" thing you mention is that during delivery prep, they need to not wash it like cars with regular paint.

Down the road, each time you take it in for service, you'll just need to let them know NOT to wash it.

They can handle it, but maybe he was giving you the heads up that you'll need to remind dealers and detailers of this every time.
Make sense, I never owned a frozen or matte paint before, so is normal hand car wash service be okay, or is there a special way to wash it... if it requires too high of maintenance I may just give up the frozen paint option
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #13
Mperor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
That's an excellent point. That is precisely what happened with the RWD models.

They wouldn't even consider my request for an Individual color until the 5th month of RWD production.
Well than I guess Voodoo blue or Java Green is out of the question, not going to wait another 2-3 months... now the estimate is Oct (hopefully before), don't want a mid-winter (snow storm) delivery - though good way to try out the xDrive right out the dealership
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 08:41 AM   #14
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well than I guess Voodoo blue or Java Green is out of the question, not going to wait another 2-3 months... now the estimate is Oct (hopefully before), don't want a mid-winter (snow storm) delivery - though good way to try out the xDrive right out the dealership
My advice is get a color you can live with this time, and then 3-4 years from now (assuming you lease or switch cars semi-frequently) get an individual color and tailor the delivery to a timeframe you are happy with.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 10:33 AM   #15
MJO316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 '17 i8

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post

Make sense, I never owned a frozen or matte paint before, so is normal hand car wash service be okay, or is there a special way to wash it... if it requires too high of maintenance I may just give up the frozen paint option
It's a minor alteration to washing. You buy special soap for it. Costs the same. You can't rub the car hard. If there is mud stuck to it, you don't scrub the mud off like a maniac. Use chemical guys matte spray to lubricate and gently brush it away.

The harder you are, the more the paint will start to shine. If you get into an accident your probably F'd no way anyone can blend or repaint it to look factory again.

Scratches it needs to be repainted. The whole door. How many times have you touched up a scratch? Me never.

It's not for everyone. For me worth it.
Appreciate 0