BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

05-04-2021, 08:48 AM   #1
NYCMT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM G80

Scratched up glass and small dent on delivery?

Could use some advice. I picked up my new G80 from the dealer with 11 miles on it, and the exterior looked good, though it was overcast with some rain earlier in the day prior to pickup. I went straight from the dealership to the detailer, just a few miles away and had no issues. When I picked up the car a week later, the detailer showed me several scratches on the sunroof, another scratch on the rear windshield, and a very small dent toward the back of the roof. The dent is so small it's hard to photograph. I know the sunroof isn't a popular option here... but has anyone else seen issues like this on delivery? Do you guys think this happened during transport? Prep for delivery? Or could something have happened that the detailer isn't mentioning? Your input would be appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 09:13 AM   #2
merlin3008
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

I'm sorry to hear about this. Must be incredibly frustrating. Honestly, at this point ANYTHING could have happened to the car. Since it wasn't detected on delivery, there really is no telling where along the line it happened. If I were the dealership, I'd be pretty suspicious of the detail shop in that they had the car for a week and didn't tell you until you picked up the car. To me, having scratches on two separate windows is just really odd. It's pretty tough to scratch auto glass and that's a large distance to cover. Just my .02.

If I were you, I'd go to the dealer and show them the defects. They will more than likely not accept responsibility. I'd then escalate to corporate, but I fully expect them both to try to deflect blame.
2016 M235i xdrive, Alpine White, Terra Leather, Orbit Gray Wheels (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 09:14 AM   #3
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX (Oxide Grey)

Garage List
Hard to say, if they are a reputable detailer, I see no reason why they would lie about that.

I say contact your dealer and mention you spotted some damage upon closer inspection and see what they can do.

I would guess any glass panels are covered in some protective tape during transport, so it is possible that when your car arrived at the dealer and when it was being prepped, someone scratched the glass whilst taking off the tape?
2022 G80 M3 Competition M xDrive (Oxide Grey)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 09:22 AM   #4
acre22f90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3008 View Post
I'm sorry to hear about this. Must be incredibly frustrating. Honestly, at this point ANYTHING could have happened to the car. Since it wasn't detected on delivery, there really is no telling where along the line it happened. If I were the dealership, I'd be pretty suspicious of the detail shop in that they had the car for a week and didn't tell you until you picked up the car. To me, having scratches on two separate windows is just really odd. It's pretty tough to scratch auto glass and that's a large distance to cover. Just my .02.

If I were you, I'd go to the dealer and show them the defects. They will more than likely not accept responsibility. I'd then escalate to corporate, but I fully expect them both to try to deflect blame.
I agree it's odd the detailer waited until pickup to tell you especially when they knew this was a brand new car.
      05-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #5
NYCMT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3008 View Post
I fully expect them both to try to deflect blame.
This is what I'm experiencing so far...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 10:24 AM   #6
Bch53211
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
Why would a new car need detailing? I’m always leery of leaving my car with anyone and try to do it as little as possible. My guess is that it’s the detail shop that caused the damage. I’d ask them when did you notice the defects and why wasn’t I told right away? The only pressure I can think you can put on them is a bad google review. It’s been my experience most businesses are concerned about online feedback. Sorry about this , hope it gets worked out.

Last edited by Bch53211; 05-04-2021 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:01 AM   #7
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bch53211 View Post
Why would a new car need detailing? I’m always leery of leaving my car with anyone and try to do it as little as possible. My guess is that it’s the detail shop that caused the damage. I’d ask them when did you notice the defects and why wasn’t I told right away? The only pressure I can think you can put on them is a bad google review. It’s been my experience most businesses are concerned about online feedback. Sorry about this , hope it gets worked out.
New car paint is rarely perfect. There's lots of minor imperfections (scratches, swirls, etc.) that can accumulate before you take delivery, and a lot of ppl want to get ceramic coating or PPF when the car's brand new so you get it paint corrected before applying those things.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:41 AM   #8
NYCMT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bch53211 View Post
Took it there for PPF placement straight from dealership to keep it in tip top condition. Haha...

The sunroof scratches are pretty obvious when you look straight on, but almost impossible to notice at an angle standing normally to the side of the car, even in bright light. You have to get right next to the car, head above the roof, and then look down. The roof dent is also really really subtle and hard to photograph. You have to shift angles while looking at it to see how the light catches that spot differently.

I asked the PPF installer why he didn't tell me as soon as he noticed the issues. He said he didn't notice them until shortly before pick up because it wasn't obvious and he was focused on the paint, not the glass, and he preferred to tell me in person. Not sure what to make of that, but this was the answer I got.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:47 AM   #9
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
I'd be suspicious of the detailer too, but not knowing for certain the damage wasn't already there it's tough to pin it on anybody and expect them to fess up either. I'm about 99% sure a detailer I went to once chipped paint off my bumper with the rotary buffer. I wouldn't have been totally surprised or pissed off either, the paint was already chipping because the F82 bumpers are notorious for that. But the shady way they tried to aggressively claim it wasn't them rubbed me the wrong way. But to be fair, I also couldn't be 100% sure because I couldn't even remember the last time I looked at that part of the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 12:04 PM   #10
Ghozthunter
Eleet Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: a bimmer

I would wait to tell you at the end to if I was on the hook to pay $1500 to replace the windshield, not counting the other damages. But like its been said very hard to know who and what did it since it wasn't noticed when you took delivery.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 12:07 PM   #11
NYCMT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghozthunter View Post
I would wait to tell you at the end to if I was on the hook to pay $1500 to replace the windshield, not counting the other damages. But like its been said very hard to know who and what did it since it wasn't noticed when you took delivery.
It's sound logic, but then why bother telling me at all? I could have continued in blissful oblivion for quite a while.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 12:16 PM   #12
Ghozthunter
Eleet Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: a bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMT View Post
It's sound logic, but then why bother telling me at all? I could have continued in blissful oblivion for quite a while.
Because by telling you they move the blame away from them. Would look really bad if you noticed the problem without them telling you.

Your best bet would be to polish the glass, may remove those fine scratches and perhaps blend the deeper ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 12:28 PM   #13
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

I would expect this to be an issue with the detailer. The cars are pretty thoroughly inspected at different points in time during the shipping and deliver process and at the VPC. Various panels are also covered with the white film during shipping. Removing that takes time and effort so someone at the dealership that was doing the pre-delivery inspection would have noticed.

From the photos, it seems like something you would have even noticed during delivery. Personally, I'm looking at every inch of the car during delivery. Not to find damage but because I'm just taking it all in and excited.

Also depending on how good your detailer is, they would have noticed right away. This is the sort of thing that will make them start doing a documented drop-off inspection with the customer whenever they take possession of a vehicle to find any damage, scratches, etc before they start work.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0