BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

04-30-2021, 07:54 PM   #1
gchriste
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i xdrive

Wait for 2022 BMW M 50 year anniversary models?

Hi all, I have been close to pulling the trigger in the next month or two on a new M4 but now with the issues with chip shortages and potential impact on features I was starting to think about waiting.

I just found out next year is 50 years of BMW M so you would expect so halo models next year in celebration. Combined with then maybe being only a lifecycle away from them going hybrid, I am now thinking the best thing Tom do is wait until next year and try and get a limited edition model for their 50 years and keep it long term.

Anyone else having similar thoughts and therefore similar agonising over buy now or wait?

Last edited by gchriste; 04-30-2021 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 12:50 AM   #2
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
That "limited edition" car next year is probably going to be the CSL. If you're in the market for that type of car, then great.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 08:31 AM   #3
MJO316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 '17 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchriste View Post
Hi all, I have been close to pulling the trigger in the next month or two on a new M4 but now with the issues with chip shortages and potential impact on features I was starting to think about waiting.

I just found out next year is 50 years of BMW M so you would expect so halo models next year in celebration. Combined with then maybe being only a lifecycle away from them going hybrid, I am now thinking the best thing Tom do is wait until next year and try and get a limited edition model for their 50 years and keep it long term.

Anyone else having similar thoughts and therefore similar agonising over buy now or wait?
They are not going hybrid with an LCI. That is an entire new car it's not just adding a battery, and and it needs an entire new production process. LCI is a refresh not a redesign. M3/M3 LCI comes 2024 March.

Unfortunately the C63 will be more advanced they didn't think it out.

The CSL is your option.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2021, 10:02 AM   #4
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchriste View Post

Limited edition models are not a good "investment" so to speak. Even my M3 CS (one of 1,200 in the world) has depreciated like a normal F80. The heritage edition M4's are really nothing special at all. My advice is to get a normal car.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 10:03 AM   #5
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcai View Post
That "limited edition" car next year is probably going to be the CSL. If you're in the market for that type of car, then great.
Any you will pay through the nose for it. Pricing will come down (as it did for the M4 GTS and M3 CS) but it will take time.
Appreciate 0