BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

03-30-2021, 03:31 PM   #23
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

random comparison? Anyone cross shopping these?

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 03:36 PM   #24
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
My guess is they are just taking any cars they can get. England is still very locked down so maybe it's affecting cars people can get?
      03-30-2021, 03:37 PM   #25
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘18 Macan Turbo

Still waiting for that Falcon Heavy vs. M3 vs. Homemade Submarine to drop. Gonna be hawwwwt
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 03:41 PM   #26
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
I'm not watching this.
Cmon now the M3 wins this time
      03-30-2021, 03:42 PM   #27
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
I'm not watching this.
Cmon now the M3 wins this time
The heavier car did what the lighter car couldn't do last time.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 03:45 PM   #28
CanuckM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

AutoExpress is just having fun. They used it as a benchmark between the two cars, that's all...they know that rarely someone cross shops the M3 and the hot hatches.

With that said, I am dying to test drive a Civic Type R.
2021 G80 6MT sold
Appreciate 2
EXE462100.00
Jcali861479.00
      03-30-2021, 04:02 PM   #29
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Civic Type R is okay. I put money down on a red 2018 and upon inspection after months of waiting, asked for my deposit back as there were some really bad panel gaps and fitment. These aren't the well made cars of Honda past. What impressed me most is that the ride is very complaint for it's handling capabilities and 20 inch wheels. While these cars shine on the track, in daily driving they suffer from the pitfall of all high powered FWD cars in that the first few gears are pretty useless when trying to put the power down from a stop. You will convince yourself you can live with it initially but over the course of time you will get RWD or AWD envy. Also the manual transmission is hit and miss as a lot of them have grinding and lockout issues. Nothing ruins the experience of driving a manual like having to granny shift out of necessity to prevent grinding.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25022.00
EXE462100.00
      03-30-2021, 04:12 PM   #30
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studntloan View Post
so the m3 has gone with being compared to a gt3, c63 amg, etc to a Honda Civic and a45amg... good to know..
the M3 footage they used was from their comparison vs the giulia quadrifoglio for the record.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 04:15 PM   #31
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
My guess is they are just taking any cars they can get. England is still very locked down so maybe it's affecting cars people can get?
its an interesting comparison from a value perspective...which is how they presented it numerous times throughout the video. They knew it would be the winner but is an M3 tens of thousands of dollars better than a type R? thats for buyers to decide. they could make a similar video with M3 vs $100k+ porsches and ask the same question
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25022.00
      03-30-2021, 04:17 PM   #32
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
I just sold my CTR a few weeks ago and will likely pick up an M3 at some point in the near future. I purchased an F90 after I got my Type R and sold it before the CTR. Prior to my F90 I had an F82, an F10 and an E90, etc. I would grab the keys to the Civic every single time before the F90 or F82 for a canyon run. If I was taking my wife to sushi or going to see customers then the F90 was the right tool.

This was not a true comparison and the people questioning it have probably not watched the video. It is more a question of what do you get for the money when you compare the best FWD and AWD hatches to the M3. The M3 wins the lap time battle easily as we would expect, but it is also very obvious that he has just as much fun driving the less expensive cars as well.

Last edited by Salespunk; 03-31-2021 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25022.00
EXE462100.00
GOLFFRR10803.00
      03-30-2021, 04:25 PM   #33
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Totally agree with the sentiments that these cars are all brilliant in their own aspects. M3 is just as it always was, impressive dual purpose machine that comes at a premium.
      03-30-2021, 04:32 PM   #34
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
its an interesting comparison from a value perspective...which is how they presented it numerous times throughout the video. They knew it would be the winner but is an M3 tens of thousands of dollars better than a type R? thats for buyers to decide. they could make a similar video with M3 vs $100k+ porsches and ask the same question
Oh yeah I'm not saying it isn't, it's all for fun anyway, just was wondering why these cars specifically. Maybe they planned it, but it feels more like it was what they could get hold of. The new Golf R would make more sense for example than the AMG seeing at it just launched.
      03-30-2021, 04:58 PM   #35
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
They knew it would be the winner but is an M3 tens of thousands of dollars better than a type R?
From a purely performance per dollar perspective the Civic wins hands down.

But there are a bunch of other reasons to choose the M3 if it's going to be a daily. I just can't see myself tooling around town in a Civic Type R. For client meetings, going out to dinner etc. It's styling is too loud in a teenage racer way (crazy to even say that considering the M3 grills). So for some the extra money that is the M3 is worth the tradeoff.

If you're looking something to hammer on weekends and at the track and you're lucky enough to be able to afford/store/insure a 3rd or 4th car. The Civi Type R GT is a great choice.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25022.00
      03-30-2021, 06:39 PM   #36
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
I cross shopped an M2 with a Type R Civic and an M3. Also looked at Supra.

If Toyota brought over a GR Yaris I'd absolutely take that over an M3.

Buyers who like sporty cars will appreciate any of these offerings from other manufacturers and wouldn't be relegated to badge snobbery based on a perceived elitist superiority (not saying that's what you were doing).

But I do think plenty of people will dismiss a car out of hand bc of the badge. Lots of other factors go into a car purchase for some people.
Well, I get your point and regardless of the fact that GR is not cross shopped with an M3 (except your car definition is just fun MT), but is not all about the badge.
BMW gets an anticorosive body, Toyota doesn’t, BMW gets better materials, Toyota doesn’t, BMW gets a different drive train and a TOTALY different road behaviour and chassis, xDrive or BMW 4WD is not the same as Toyota AWD, etc.
Money still reflect certain things from materials to engineering and fit and finish.
I mean, Toyota is a little fun car but is in a different class.
It is not about the badge, is about the class and engineering, stability, behaviour, stance on the road, Gforce achievements, speed, feelings, sound, amenities, options, materials, chassis, technical aproach, etc.

I owned Toyota and is just a simple car with mediocre materials that always use old technology to preserve the reliability image. Germans are different.

I do enjoy a little junk too, but they can’t be compared.
If a GR makes someone happy, sure, ok, I get that.
But NO, they are not comparable in any aspect.
So I will dismiss Toyota for technical and engineering reasons, not badge.

I mean, we really compare M3 with a Toyota GR? lol

Yeah, you can hide behind the badge explanation but in my opinion only a chef that knows nothing about cars can compare these two. Sorry.

Last edited by Teutonic; 03-30-2021 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 07:39 PM   #37
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

I test drove a civic type R just for the heck of it, it was so slow in acceleration, and understeered/torque steered so bad I was done with the test drive in 5min.

have no idea of why anyone would consider that car compared to a 500 hp G80... utterly ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 08:56 PM   #38
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Well, I get your point and regardless of the fact that GR is not cross shopped with an M3 (except your car definition is just fun MT), but is not all about the badge.
BMW gets an anticorosive body, Toyota doesnÂ’t, BMW gets better materials, Toyota doesnÂ’t, BMW gets a different drive train and a TOTALY different road behaviour and chassis, xDrive or BMW 4WD is not the same as Toyota AWD, etc.
Money still reflect certain things from materials to engineering and fit and finish.
It is not about the badge, is about the class and engineering, stability, behaviour, stance on the road, Gforce achievements, speed, feelings, sound, amenities, options, materials, chassis, technical aproach, etc.

I owned Toyota and is just a simple car with mediocre materials that always use old technology to preserve the reliability image. Germans are different.

I do enjoy a little junk too, but they canÂ’t be compared.

Yeah, you can hide behind the badge explanation but in my opinion only a chef that knows nothing about cars can compare these two. Sorry.
LOL, what kind of nonsense post is this?

Only someone who has no idea the effort that went into the development of a GR Yaris, from Toyota's racing division along with their engineering arm, would make a myopic comment stating that an M3 and a GR Yaris can't be compared. Furthermore, to double down and say that Toyota and a BMW can't be compared is ridiculous.

Maybe you're not as much of an automotive connoisseur, but more of an automotive racist, that thinks that a Japanese company can't compare to a German company. I love BMW, but I'll gladly admit that they've made cars that are riddled with quality control problems, poor engineering and have a terrible reputation for long term ownership. Furthermore, BMW just like Toyota and every other manufacturer is producing a bunch of junk for mass consumption with a few notable highlights in their product lineup, one of which is a G80 for BMW and a GR Yaris for Toyota.

You my friend, have managed to sound like a pompous ass, who is completely detached from reality. Sorry to have to tell you this. And you should probably retire that chef analogy since it doesn't make any sense along with the rest of your post.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2021, 10:40 PM   #39
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

You have no idea about my work, what I drove and what I am driving... And you shouldn't; it's irrelevant.
Talking about pompous...

I wrote a different reply but I said to myself: "nah..."

Go buy that GR and have fun! I promise to not care...

PS
We are not friends.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 10:50 PM   #40
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
BMW gets an anticorosive body, Toyota doesn't, BMW gets better materials, Toyota doesn't, BMW gets a different drive train and a TOTALY different road behaviour and chassis, xDrive or BMW 4WD is not the same as Toyota AWD, etc.

I do enjoy a little junk too, but they can't be compared.

LOL, what kind of nonsense post is this?

Only someone who has no idea the effort that went into the development of a GR Yaris, from Toyota's racing division along with their engineering arm, would make a myopic comment stating that an M3 and a GR Yaris can't be compared. Furthermore, to double down and say that Toyota and a BMW can't be compared is ridiculous.

Maybe you're not as much of an automotive connoisseur, but more of an automotive racist, that thinks that a Japanese company can't compare to a German company. I love BMW, but I'll gladly admit that they've made cars that are riddled with quality control problems, poor engineering and have a terrible reputation for long term ownership. Furthermore, BMW just like Toyota and every other manufacturer is producing a bunch of junk for mass consumption with a few notable highlights in their product lineup, one of which is a G80 for BMW and a GR Yaris for Toyota.

You my friend, have managed to sound like a pompous ass, who is completely detached from reality. Sorry to have to tell you this. And you should probably retire that chef analogy since it doesn't make any sense along with the rest of your post.
Automotive racist?!? WTF is this world coming too?!?! Can people not have dissenting opinions about ANYTHING anymore?!?! Does an automobile enthusiast have to like everything on four wheels to qualify?!? This is friggin' retarded.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 11:45 PM   #41
manni22gp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: The ultimate driving machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
1805 kg rwd auto M3
Yeah, and the quickest rear wheel drive saloon on that track so far by Sutcliffe. Hope you watched the video. And listened to what he said about the M3.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25022.00
      03-31-2021, 12:27 AM   #42
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by manni22gp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
1805 kg rwd auto M3
Yeah, and the quickest rear wheel drive saloon on that track so far by Sutcliffe. Hope you watched the video. And listened to what he said about the M3.
Yep, the laptime is impressive, just as its weight.

The awd version will be very close in weight to my M5c at 1925kg, how crazy is that?
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25022.00
      03-31-2021, 06:43 AM   #43
TheStanman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 992 C2S

Comparisons across segments help illustrate the differences between the segments themselves, which I think it's valuable (and enjoyable) in addition to usual comparisons of different cars in the same segment.

The reality is that people shop a specific segment much less than people think. A Porsche Boxster and Jeep Wrangler are cross-shopper a shocking amount.
Appreciate 1
Salespunk1745.00
      03-31-2021, 06:52 AM   #44
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
The M3 wins the lap time battle easily as we would expect, but it is also very obvious that he just as much fun driving the less expensive cars as well.
Not going to lie, I wasn't as confident as you...especially given the history of the F8X vs the CTR and Sutcliffe's obvious dislike of the F8X on this channel.
Appreciate 0