BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

02-09-2024, 08:21 AM   #1
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Purchase Vibe

Negotiated a deal over the phone on a 2024 M4 Competition AWD with the dealership, no name. This car is inbound and has supposedly hit the port. Also worked out the number for my trade-in. Sent in a finance application and driver license. Dealership then wanted to complete the paperwork by zoom. I declined and told them I wanted to inspect car when it arrives and then do paperwork.

They said OK, but the very strong vibe I picked up during this process was that even though I said I'll take it and they say yes, the car is vulnerable.

I have no track record working with BMW dealerships, so just trying to get a sense for how they roll.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 09:11 AM   #2
jublydan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
Negotiated a deal over the phone on a 2024 M4 Competition AWD with the dealership, no name. This car is inbound and has supposedly hit the port. Also worked out the number for my trade-in. Sent in a finance application and driver license. Dealership then wanted to complete the paperwork by zoom. I declined and told them I wanted to inspect car when it arrives and then do paperwork.

They said OK, but the very strong vibe I picked up during this process was that even though I said I'll take it and they say yes, the car is vulnerable.

I have no track record working with BMW dealerships, so just trying to get a sense for how they roll.
I would assume that if you didn't make a deposit / put some skin in the game, they are still going to be offering that car to people. I could be wrong, but that seems like a reasonable thing to do if you're the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 09:18 AM   #3
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jublydan View Post
I would assume that if you didn't make a deposit / put some skin in the game, they are still going to be offering that car to people. I could be wrong, but that seems like a reasonable thing to do if you're the dealer.
In the state I am in, earnest money must be refunded, if asked for. But I agree it shows some commitment.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 11:17 AM   #4
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:

Every single dealer is different, as they are all staffed by humans who operate on their own set of values. Maybe if dealers are owned by the same ownership group it might be similar, but even then there will be differences.

If you are hesitant on their intentions, just ask. In person or via live call, not email / text. Be transparent on your end as well. Ask what you need to do to have right of first refusal on the car. What are you looking for in your inspection? It's a new car. I agree, though, I wouldn't fill out paperwork until you are at the closing table.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 11:33 AM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Do some homework online first. Does this dealership have a bad history or bad reviews?

If the deal is sweet and it’s what you want then go fill out paperwork in person to place your deposit and get a sales order sheet showing the build, VIN, your name and deposit, etc.

If it’s not exactly what you want then hit up our man DayLaborer to broker you a custom order at a known-good dealership. I got my car delivered in 77 days (east coast). The small fee was way worth it.
      02-09-2024, 01:09 PM   #6
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 /// M50i /// 964 C2

If you have the build sheet, you should be able to track the status of the car. Can you try to put a deposit on it now that you're close to the finish line? I would feel way more comfortable with a deposit down.

I ordered my car with a deposit but yet it still made it's way on the dealers website (w/o photos).
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 02:31 PM   #7
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

I decided to make the drive to the dealership. Spoke to the GM and Finance Manager. All good, everyone on same page and looking forward to taking ownership of my first BMW.
Appreciate 4
      02-09-2024, 06:16 PM   #8
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

they are taking more risk than you by having you sign papers via zoom
you are getting a new car and 99% it will be good
they are taking your trade which some people misrepresent either intentionally or unintentionally. Not implying that you are doing that
one simple example. Car can have a dog smell that some people can consider normal but it will cost dealer some money to get rid off and decrease chance of selling car because some people will avoid cars with smell
I can mention multiple other examples
so basically I think you should be ok
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 09:43 AM   #9
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

It's funny, but when I found this car on cars.com and decided to pursue it, I had no idea how scarce these cars were and that you usually needed an allocation to get one. When the new GT500 dropped, I tried like hell to get one and just could not get a deal done. Funny how life works!

Just found out: The car has been delivered from the vehicle processing center 2/15 and is set to arrive here 2/18.

Last edited by Weather Man; 02-15-2024 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 03:42 PM   #10
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Car hit the dealer and picking up Thursday. Here's hoping for a smooth pickup!
Appreciate 1
'Cane8514.50
      02-22-2024, 08:35 PM   #11
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Goodbye Hellcat Redeye! Hello M4 Competition!
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
'Cane8514.50
GOLFFRR10816.50
Caladin254.50
Dnshift156.50
Llarry15977.00
Jim B1895.00
      02-22-2024, 10:26 PM   #12
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 /// M50i /// 964 C2

Quote:
Goodbye Hellcat Redeye! Hello M4 Competition!
Congrats! That’s a beauty! What are your first impressions?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 05:48 AM   #13
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtronics View Post
Congrats! That’s a beauty! What are your first impressions?
Tight handling car, good exhaust note stock. Great brakes. Like the digital screen. Shifter gonna take some getting used to. Set up the M1 and M2 buttons at the dealership. The number of sub-menu's is pretty incredible, but the touch screen makes it pretty easy to get around.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 05:55 AM   #14
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
,Tight handling car good exhaust note stock. Great brakes. Like the digital screen. Shifter gonna take some getting used to. Set up the M1 and M2 buttons at the dealership. The number of sub-menu's is pretty incredible, but the touch screen makes it pretty easy to get around.
any car will have tight handling compared to the boat
Appreciate 1
Dnshift156.50
      02-23-2024, 06:17 AM   #15
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH View Post
any car will have tight handling compared to the boat
The boat handled predictably actually which was fun, but the target audience is different, I agree.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 08:44 AM   #16
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The boat handled predictably actually which was fun, but the target audience is different, I agree.
congrats on the M4 btw
I think this gen M3/M4 are great cars
I am on my fifth M3
1 E92
3 F80 including regular, competition, and CS versions
1 G80C xdrive that is getting the 1200 break in service today , but so far great car
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2024, 08:57 AM   #17
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Tight handling car, good exhaust note stock. Great brakes. Like the digital screen. Shifter gonna take some getting used to. Set up the M1 and M2 buttons at the dealership. The number of sub-menu's is pretty incredible, but the touch screen makes it pretty easy to get around.
Just make sure you follow that break-in procedure! congrats!
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2024, 09:51 AM   #18
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

awesome~ congrats thats a great color combo also

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2024, 05:27 PM   #19
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:

Why Zoom to complete the paper work? Was Zoom to inspect your trade in?

[QUOTE=dtronics;30890141]If you have the build sheet, you should be able to track the status of the car. Can you try to put a deposit on it now that you're close to the finish line? I would feel way more comfortable with a deposit down.

I ordered my car with a deposit but yet it still made it's way on the dealers website (w/o photos).

ALL BMW’s are showing up on dealership websites, as this includes P1 inbound cars, and even Performance Center Delivery. Change was made during COVID to show more stock than what was on the lot, but I would be upset if calling about a inbound car to be told it was P1 (customer order) already. I saw my ‘24 X5 M60 on my dealerships webpage of being “in stock” for 6 weeks (from status 150), even though it was sitting at the PC for around 4 weeks waiting for my PCD earlier this month. Once a order hits status 150 BMW NA is pushing to the dealership’s webpage to be displayed via a API.
      02-23-2024, 06:48 PM   #20
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=Ibiza;30929798]Why Zoom to complete the paper work? Was Zoom to inspect your trade in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtronics View Post
If you have the build sheet, you should be able to track the status of the car. Can you try to put a deposit on it now that you're close to the finish line? I would feel way more comfortable with a deposit down.

ALL BMW’s are showing up on dealership websites, as this includes P1 inbound cars, and even Performance Center Delivery. Change was made during COVID to show more stock than what was on the lot, but I would be upset if calling about a inbound car to be told it was P1 (customer order) already. I saw my ‘24 X5 M60 on my dealerships webpage of being “in stock” for 6 weeks (from status 150), even though it was sitting at the PC for around 4 weeks waiting for my PCD earlier this month. Once a order hits status 150 BMW NA is pushing to the dealership’s webpage to be displayed via a API.
Their process was developed during covid and kept after. They are trying to smooth out the delivery process that builds at the end of the month. Their goal is to keep people from having to wait hours for the finance office to free up by knocking out most of the finance and accessory questions before the customer is in the store. No signatures until customer inspects new car and dealer inspects trade. Once I understood what they were trying to accomplish, I could appreciate the time savings for the customer at a really busy dealership. It also let them have wanted accessories, if any, installed before customer picks up car, not after.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 09:51 AM   #21
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep

BTW, this is the car I bought. So, this was how the customer that backed out of it, or the dealer ordered. I thought it was specced well and liked the color enough to buy it. Love it !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 11:29 AM   #22
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Quote:
BTW, this is the car I bought. So, this was how the customer that backed out of it, or the dealer ordered. I thought it was specced well and liked the color enough to buy it. Love it !
M4's are way easier to get compared to M3's and especially with the LCI units coming this summer...hope you got a good discount off MSRP! I was shopping M4's in Jan and 6-8% off was doable.
Appreciate 0